Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

L'Aimant by Coty

This was the first feminine perfume I have recollection of smelling. It was my mother’s perfume and I remember it from my teen years and before. L’Aimant had a consistently negative effect on me. Whenever my mother sprayed it and I was on within 20 feet of her bedroom, I would become lightheaded and get a headache: a precursor of migraines to come. This was a heavy, powdery, aldehydic scent and one that gave me a negative view of women’s perfumes in general until I was well into my 20s.

Calypso Homme by Calypso Christiane Celle

It starts with cool tangerine and morphs into a warm black currant and musk accord. To my nose the drydown has a soapy character. Not very long lasting on my skin. Worth a try, but I nothing I would buy.

Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Cyprès-Musc was the first Creed I tried and it remains a favorite of mine. I see it as a scent of ‘cool-warm’ contrasts: a cool, crisp Cypress wood, wrapped in a warm musk, supported by oakmoss. I think of it as an autumn scent: it suggests to me a walk in woods on late day in Indian Summer. The scent of pine needles on the trail fills the air; the heat of sun is felt, but in a quiet way. Intensely coniferous in its opening, I realize it won’t be for everyone. A rather simple scent, but unique. It lasts 12+ hours on me.

Djedi by Guerlain

Why try Djedi? What struck me is that before mine there are but six reviews, all positive, several of which describe Djedi as not just a fragrance, but as an experience. While many fragrances reviewed on Basenotes produce intense reactions, few seem to rival the effects of Djedi.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I obtained a small decant of the vintage parfum (not the reissue). Was it worth it? Yes! Dark, earthy, pungent, austere and unlike anything I have ever tried. A great scent to support introspective thinking and quiet contemplation. I cannot help but wonder how wearers were affected and impressed by Djedi in the 1920s.

no4a's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

So de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta

i love it! sweet/ not sugary, lasting, ultra feminine scent which encourages one to wear a girly dress with lipstick and flowers in your hair.

fusion's avatar

I am King by Sean John

I'm so back & fourth with this one sometimes I like sometimes I don't. My girlfriend just loves it, this is the only fragrance she likes me to wear when were together. the drydown is really nice, so you might want to give this a full wearing before you judge it.

11th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th August, 2009)

chengfun's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I like many of the notes in Chinatown so in theory I should love it but unfortunately I just can't get on with it. The spicy dry down is too spiky for me. I got a second sample from another source just in case the first one is off but no joy. Longevity is good though, I've had to wash it off each time I've sampled it. I'm disappointed this one's not for me.

TheRomantic's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

The comparison to Rochas is quite true BUT I do believe this fragrance is way better in terms of quality than Rochas. At first it hits with its incredible RICHNESS. Incredible amount of body here but nonetheless still not over the top. As it dries down it still doesn't faltar. Thing is though it never goes away. It lasted a good 9 hours on me but I wanted to take it off during the last couple hours. I think this is incredibly well made and doesn't take the route of other "Gourmands" and ends up as just vanilla. It stays together, a little too well for a long time. Its not for me but nonetheless I can appreciate this gourmand.

TheRomantic's avatar

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Ahhhh my first Bond No 9 fragrance and well...what a success! The intial blast of Violet, Cassis, and Thyme was dead on beautiful to me. Love at first sniff! This fragrance is amazing. The comparisons of Original Vetiver and Bvlgari Extreme have a very VERY, I'm talking miniscule the size of a molecule truth to it. Yea yea they have "GREEN" aspects to them but nothing other than that. Anyway, Longevity, this baby lasts and lasts on me I smell it a good 9 hours at the very least later and its still kicking butts and taking names. Sillage is damn right amazing. I remember walking to get my food in the mall and hearing 4 times just walking to get the food, " Oh wow he smells really good" or " Hey what are you wearing?" Its just plain sexxy. What can I say... my first Bond was a beauty!

lovelylavender's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

The basenotes remind me of Noa Perle Cacharel a lot. Although Noa Perle is my favorite, there is something about Femme that bugging me. Femme is a beautiful perfume, I believe. But she's constantly bugging me, especially the base notes. It's like she screamed, "Look at me. I'm beautiful."

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

He looked at me and said; "That is one crazy perfume kid. What on earth is that? To just fill up the room like this?"

I in turn smiled and said, "Oscar de la Renta pour Lui"

"De Lui Oscar what?"

The statement had been made. Buy this if you want people to know you are there.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Love is a mysterious emotion. You know you are in love when you have a wardrobe of some of the most celebrated scents and yet you reach for just one. It stays on your mind, you worry about it, you love it, you constantly have it in your innermost thoughts. It lives up to its name. Magnetism has got me clinched.
    I wore it for the first time and I got the craziest sillage from it. It danced wildly around my wrist constantly somersaulting onto my nose. I then went to a trip and took it with me. During my time there it would only last 20 minutes. Maybe my nose was getting tired of it. Either way, I was disappointed greatly. Then when I got back home, I gave it one more chance. The little beauty pulled off 8 hours. So I had thought, but then it doesn't end there. That night, I slept with a smile on my face, knowing my Magnetism wasn't just another great smelling weakling. I then woke up surrounded by that all so familiar warm, sexy coca cola like smell. Magnetism had just pulled off 22 hours on my skin. Amazing!!

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

Dear Aigner Black

Aigner Black, I love your leather note, sometimes I also hate it. It uplifts me and sometimes it beats me down. I love your sweet notes. I love your insane longevity alongside your controlled but pronounced sillage. I love your bottle. I love your sense of style. But I just don't know where I can wear you. Stick around and maybe when I'm suited and booted. We can take over the world together.

Love

Critic

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Has similarities with A men. very sexy and youthful, made by Oliver Cresp no less and notes are fresh lemon notes, Kalamanzi fruit, tagetes, sage, praline, cardamom, cinnamon, Tou balsam, rosewood, black amber, patchouli and ebony.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Thé Pour un Été by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you are reading this right now, you never smelled thé pour un été and you wonder what it smell like is what you do.
    turn of your computer,
    go to some vietnamese restaurent near where you live
    order a teapot hot jasmine tea to the lovely vietnamese girl that speks 4 words of english and there it is
    as simple as that

I have to admit this jasmine tea fragrance may be quite simple, lacking depth, sillage and so on BUT
    it just make you feel so damn good...

the kind construction, the overall effect and the way they develope me think of Passade d'Enfer although they oblviously don't smell alike
    simple. rencomforting. calming. ­meditative. pretty

I would not buy it for myself though
    my studet buget says 135 $ is to much for a pretty little jasimine smell
    Although it would have made a perfect and safe mother's day present

bellaviola's avatar

Mania (original) by Giorgio Armani

I adore this fragrance. I gave it to my sister for her birthday many years ago, and we were both heartbroken when it was discontinued.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Don't get me wrong, I would NEVER rate this perfume with dumbs down. It's greatly crafted and it smells nice, but it's just not my thing!

I prefer Himalaya and MI, but that's personal.

Try before you buy!

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I have tested 5 Creeds so far and after HimaIaya and MI I like this one the best! It's a scent you can wear ANY day at ANY moment! Maybe it's just a bit too feminine, but I like it very much!

8/10 for sure!

Himalaya by Creed

Ohh I like this one!!!

This is my favourite scent when going to work or when meeting a client. The drydown is one of the best I have ever seen (or in this case, smelled). For hot weather I prefer MI, but that said this fragrance is absolutely awesome!

8.5/10

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Of all the Serge Lutens I've tried, this one is the one that seems to fall firmly in the "masculine" for me. I say this because it's a wee bit too green and woodsy and never strays to far from those notes, making it as linear as most of the other men's department store scents that I don't care for. As I wore it, it did remind me of walking through a forest in the fall, smelling pine in the air and the fallen leaves and earth of the forest floor. Now, I'm not one of those girly girls, I'll wear a scent meant for a man in a minute, if I like it, but there are some things even I can't pull off. I imagine this would smell really great on some rugged outdoorsy man.

Escada Margaretha Ley by Escada

This was the first oriental I bought years ago. It envelopes you in a cloud of peach, coconut and vanilla. I still love it if I don't over do it. Very rich sexy scent.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had been looking for a scent that reminded me of a blooming orange tree I smelled in Tucson, Az. This is the same smell but with alittle cardamon or is it cumin. Hummm I wear this constantly.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very heady- I must like coconut because here I have another another perfume with it in it. This scent reminds me of a tropical island.

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To much Lilly for me. I love florals and esp. white flower but there is something about this scent that makes me uncomfortable. Not for me.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I love this dark rich cedar scent. Another one of my fav.

dreams&drafts's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I understand that some perfumers considered the concoction of the artificial marine note that was so popular in the 1990’s to be a great moment in the history of perfume-making and love using it whenever the concepts of ‘fresh’, ‘ocean’, ‘air’, ‘rain’, ‘cool’, and all those other charming and perfectly harmless natural occurrences give them an excuse to do so. I was hoping that it was a fad because to me it’s not ‘morning dew’ as much as, ‘I guess you don’t want this honeydew melon that’s been sitting on the counter for the past coupla weeks’. This is loaded with enough of that marine note to snuff the fires of hell. Getting past it and finding anything else requires hard labour and heavy breathing, but there is a little spice at the opening, and a heavy synthetic and generic fruit along with a hint of dry earth that comes and goes. But the killer, and heaven knows it was already dead, is that at the far drydown there’s freshly caught fish. I swear. On the positive side, with this on my hand getting the cat to take the bit of cream that has his pill cleverly crushed into it is no problem.

No. 22 by Chanel

For me, No. 22 is the ultimate Chanel. Exclusive, expensive, but worth every penny, 22 must be the pinacle of moderniste sophistication.

It is the smell one is sometimes lucky enough to catch on the Paris Metro as a beautiful older woman wafts past... So much more graceful than No. 5, more refined than No. 19, and nowhere near as 'mumsy' as some of the other reviewers would have you believe.

Timeless.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

This fragrance is one of those perfumes that has lost out to the endless trendy marketing of Calvin Klien, Eau D'Issey etc etc. It stands removed from all that in your face explosive top note nonsense.

It is far longer lasting than the regular Pour Monsieur. Concentree is a mark of sophistication. An easy to wear, incredibly flattering aroma, that's bound to be appreciated by anyone lucky enough to get close enough... And I speak from experience.

Chemistry by Clinique

The great strength of Chemistry is it's simplicity. In my opinion it's a forgotten modern classic, an unpretentious all rounder. On my skin it goes of perfectly. I especially love the smell of Chemistry when I rediscover it on a jumper or scarf... As with Polo Blue I suggest Chemistry works best for those of us who have a slightly heavier or musky natural scent.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue is an excellent summer day-time fragrance. I always recieve compliments when I wear it. If you're considering Polo Blue I suggest it works best on men with a more musky natural scent. This uncomplicated and light fragrance does a great job of 'balancing things out' especially on warm summer days.