Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

John Paul's avatar
    John Paul
    England England

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Polo Blue is an excellent summer day-time fragrance. I always recieve compliments when I wear it. If you're considering Polo Blue I suggest it works best on men with a more musky natural scent. This uncomplicated and light fragrance does a great job of 'balancing things out' especially on warm summer days.

John Paul's avatar
    John Paul
    England England

Scent Intense Parfum by Costume National

Yes the bottle looks like a giant pierced tongue... but I think Scent Intense is the new daddy. Ambiguous and very very sexy. Shame it's so hard to come by. Two thumbs up.

johnism's avatar
    johnism

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

reminds me of a musky male version of Colors de Benetton.

Amit's avatar
    Amit
    India India

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

To me, Aigner Black is a pretty BLACK smelling scent.. I love it.. I remember having read somewhere that it contains some pure Black Musk and if you ask me, it does smell like it really has healthy doses of Black Musk added it for good measure. Some people say it smells like the men's cologne by John Varvatos but the one and ONLY thing common between these two is the leather note... apart from that, these two are completely different beasts altogether... once settled on the skin, they take the completely opposite paths, atleast on mine they do.

I find Aigner Black to be a tad more sweeter than John Varvatos.... and definitely more "sexy" of the two after it settles. Think of Aigner Black as Angelina Jolie and John Varvatos as Jessica Alba... while both are sexy, Jolie is more "sultry" .... probably not an ideal correlation.. but you get the idea ;-)

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

Thumbs up but barely. The opening is a synthetic blast of apple & bergamot. Smells somewhat overworked & overdone but it gets better. Suprise, clove and cinnamon come to rescue this sad-sack opening. Though the clove/cinnamon are not as epic & grand like Obsession for Men, this accord makes me forget the weak opening. Vanilla & tonka round this out with a touch of wood though it's hard to get a grip on what kind of wood as it's kind of blurry. Still, quite a safe bet for Dieter to wear to his first day at Siemens. Nice but it's Boss so lower thy expectations and proceed cautiously.

Wordbird's avatar
    Wordbird
    Wales Wales

Secret Intention by Guerlain

This is the Guerlain that's allegedly based on tea, but I don't get any.
    I think I caught jasmine as it opened, now I have a nice, smooth, rich floral. Quite powerful for an edt.
    It's OK but it doesn't make me jump up and down.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Nicolaï pour Homme by Parfums de Nicolaï

Gris Clair's warmer, friendlier cousin. (Not really close enough to be a sibling, but definitely in the same formal lavender clan.)

I'm not usually a huge fan of mint (witness my general indifference to Live Jazz, Pasha and others), but the mint really, really works here.

The frag itself does warm up a bit as the wearing goes on, true, but this neverthelss a formal, almost aloof kind of frag from beginning to end. (Great for the office, but probably not a romantic dinner kind of frag, let alone casual Friday.)

Thumbs up, granted, but only with the provisos above firmly in place.

Hamp's avatar
    Hamp

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Burberry for Men is a fresh and distinctive woody foral which successfully represents the brands heritage of tradition and understated luxury. An excellent example of enduring British style.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I find Egon Oelkers (eo 02) to be a spicy-woody-ambery sort of scent. It starts with good spices and brief citrus notes, and a bit of aromatic galbanum. I searched for the very interesting heart notes but they eluded me. This very quickly settles into alternating notes of cedar (excellent) and rich amber (well done but not to my taste). If you like buttery amber you’ll probably like this. I feel it could have been so much more. I’m neutral on it, a bit disappointed given the great potential of its ingredients.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Gaucho by Ayala Moriel

Absinthe (wormwood), “African stone tincture,” angelica, bergamot, broom (genet), deer’s tongue (liatrix), galbanum, “green cognac,” guiacwood, hay absolute, jasmine, neroli, rosemary absolute, yerba maté
    What a fascinating list of ingredients! On her site, Ayala says, “coumarin is the soul of Gaucho” and I certainly agree. This is a very grassy scent, meant to evoke warm breezes coming off the pampas plains of Argentina. It is intense, amazingly tangy, dry... a grassy green rather than a leafy green or a forest green. It is so dry and bold that I think any man could wear it. I find the floral elements (jasmine, neroli and guiacwood which has rose qualities) are very background. There are many grassy or hay-like elements here and they dominate: broom, hay absolute, and of course the coumarin from the deer’s tongue. My research reveals that deer’s tongue was commonly used to scent tobacco, which is why this fragrance very much reminds me of my father’s tins of pipe tobacco. This is a completely unique sort of scent, nothing at all like the amber powdery fluff-ball of Yerbamate by Villoresi! Try it!

atrac's avatar
    atrac

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

I have to agree with the Caron Third Man comparisons. Here's an equation that sums it up for me:

Caron Third Man + Powder = Santa Fe. I purchased a 1.7oz bottle at Big Lots for $3.00...and that was not a clearance price.

A very very very inexpensive way to enjoy Caron Third Man at a fraction of the cost -- unless you don't like a bit of powder added.

Maddyrain's avatar
    Maddyrain
    Brazil Brazil

Joop! Homme Chill-Out by Joop!

The beginning is quite citrus, with the bergamot and lemon, evolving to something more fruity. I can really smell a little bit of strawberry and pineapple. Lovely.
    The base is the classic and adored (at least by me) base of Joop! Homme, but not too strong and annoying. Perfect for hot days, or just a walk in the park. I still think that the best summer edition of Joop! Homme is "Summer Temptation". I haven't tested the "Beach Clubbing" yet...

fusion's avatar
    fusion

Unforgivable Black by Sean John

I had the opportunity to sample this today, at first sniff I was like its O.K. but then came the dry down and I must say it is wonderful smells really good. I think its going to be a great summer scent, a must try but judge the entire scent from beginning to end not just the top notes. A definite purchase for me so of course a thumbs up.

12 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2009)

Scentologist's avatar
    Scentologist

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki

How does one review the pinnacle of my fragrant journey? Perhaps my review is premature because I simply can’t define how stunning this fragrance is. Here are the official notes:

Cypress, turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood, frankincense, moss and vetiver.

This fragrance doesn’t reveal itself through stages of morphologic transitions. It is as if the fragrance is transparent and you can smell all stages at once. I am in no way suggesting Hinoki is linear - - it is far from it. The turpentine and camphor mingles with the woods of cypress and cedar. This creates a mesmerizing tunnel through which the thyme and pine drags the top notes into a vortex where everything is still transparent and clearly represented. The Georgian wood, frankincense, moss, and vetiver is there at the end of the black hole to immediately connect with the stellar masterpiece thus far. If you could imagine a warm hole to be clear and represent this fragrance, it will transport your senses from point A to point B instantaneously without missing a note. Incredible! How does it do this? I don’t know it just does and it works.

I can understand where people are coming from in their review of Hinoki. I do get a slight incense but the type on incense found here is closer to Avignon for its dry and smoky character rather than Kyoto where it is a bit more wet. I also detect a cooling, snow frost note found in Zagorsk which in Hinoki, comes off like a clean musk that is fantastic. I truly thought that nothing would ever be able to surpass my beloved Kyoto but friends, history has just been made. I give this a 100 out of 5 stars. Yes, it really is that good!

Mr. G's avatar
    Mr. G
    Denmark Denmark

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

A name like Philtre d'Amour ('love potion') for a perfume makes you think of one of Guerlain's big oriental seducers. But Philtre d'Amour - a limited edition from 1999 - is a Jean-Paul Guerlain creation, and his focus on romantic rather than erotic love also shines through here: Philtre d'Amour is a romantic, slightly wistful and timid seducer. We're in the sunny, lemony world of Eau de Guerlain, but here more bitter and dry and also darkened with a sophisticated, nostalgic-green and unmistakably Guerlainish chypre-bouquet of herbs, like petitgrain and myrtle. Its herbal bouquet is not unlike the one found in Jacques Guerlain's magnificent breezy-dry Sous le Vent from 1933. A dusty-powdery, musky base - still with the nostalgic-green streak running through it - is perhaps what mostly justifies the designation as love potion. According to perfume expert Luca Turin, it would make 'a great masculine'. The uniqueness and sophistication of this fragrance qualified it for entering the prestigious 'Les Parisiennes' line in 2005.

Mr. G's avatar
    Mr. G
    Denmark Denmark

Vetiver pour Elle by Guerlain

Until 2004, Guerlain's only true vetiver-scent - the widely acclaimed, simply named Vetiver - was reserved for men. Women loved it, though, and they often asked Jean-Paul Guerlain to create a feminine version. Forty-five years after Vetiver, he finally accepted the task and made Vetiver pour Elle. He kept the characteristic notes of vetiver root, nutmeg and bergamot, but replaced the sweet tobacco with flowers like jasmine, lily of the valley and orange blossom. At first, its availability was limited to French airport shops, presented in a bottle that was a strange compound of Robert Granai's masculine Vetiver bottle and the romantic 'heart shaped stopper' bottle. The scent soon proved so successful that it was incorporated into the 'Les Parisiennes' line in 2007. With Vetiver pour Elle, Jean-Paul Guerlain managed to unite the smell of the earthy vetiver-root and bitter nutmeg with rich notes of white flowers. While the added tarragon in Vetiver Extrême tends to drown the wonderful vetiver in a prolonged soapy-herbal vapour, in Vetiver pour Elle, vetiver and flowers complement each other perfectly in a poised dance. The fragrance evolves and alternates beautifully between the flowery and earthy notes, and the wearer gives up deciding whether it's the white petals or the soil beneath the flower that he smells - or simply both. It's worth mentioning that perfume expert Luca Turin in his 2008 perfume-guide describes it as possibly the best woody fragrance currently - also for men.

Hugo Woman by Hugo Boss

I bought Hugo Woman for my girlfriend because I knew she would love it....and she sure did (You can never go wrong with this fragrance...)!

It's fresh,crisp and elegant with amazing longevity.
    Its structure is as follows,
    Scent Type: Oriental - Fruity
    Top Notes: Green apple, cantaloupe, water lily
    Heart Notes: Florals, nectarine, peach, berry
    Base Notes: Siamwood, sandalwood, amber

It's a pleasant deviation from the overly flowery women fragrances in the market today. There is NOTHING unisex about it. I know many women who would rather wear men fragrances due to the over powering floweriness in many of the women fragrances : Hugo Woman is your salvation for this problem!!!
    Hugo Woman commands presence and character....it's all about confidence!!
    Hugo has definitely taken women fragrances to another level with this unique perfume. Viva Hugo!!

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

What caught my attention with this fragrance is the bottle ,very lovely presentation; I would say it's elegantly bohemian !!
    Now to the smell. My first impression was a cloying characteristic but its settles well to a slight musky/smokey scent. Its girly and flirty (even the packaging affirms this!) Definitely has a more youthful demeanor to it...!!

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I think this perfume is Mr. Hugo's main Achilles heel as far as authenticity and general fragrance design goes.
    I would have given this perfume a thumbs down, it deserves one anyway BUT because of the respect I have for Mr. Hugo for his other Great works with my favorites Boss Bottled and Hugo Woman I will give it a neutral....!!!!
    I love the bottle though....quite original, I only wish I could say the same for the fragrance inside it.

hester's avatar
    hester
    South Africa South Africa

Beautiful Sheer by Estée Lauder

Yikes! Wet floral? Maybe just at first; I get, in rapid succession: Tommy Girl (a personal perfume hate) doused with rose water, then a few minutes of powerful (and pleasant in a way) rose-scented honey, and then what seems set to be a long, long pure honey phase. Thankfully the Tommy Girl has faded, but the honey part left over is not much less gaggy for me. Nothing even vaguely reminiscent of the original Beautiful (which, whether you like it or not, is a very well-crafted, personality-filled thing), and nothing much sheer about it either. I am going to have to scrub soon.

acceptfacts's avatar
    acceptfacts

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I love this scent....first time smelling this on a woman i was enamored.....subtle yet overwhelmingly sensual.....enjoyed it so much that I had to buy a bottle for myself and now wear it with pride.....mind you i am a heterosexual male. The odd thing is that it gets great responses from females and not just males(as you would think would be the intent of the fragrance). I love the cedar and amber musk with floral notes that dominate this frgarance after the initial citrus, airy blast....

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

A very unusual and irresistible scent. Startling topnotes followed by a lush sexy middle and warm creamy smooth drydown
    Unusual and a classic!

Je Reviens by Worth

My wife has the EdT and it smells wonderful on her. Clean, fresh crisp, warm, sunshine in a lightly wooded area to me, violets are blooming, and all this from a low-cost bottle of toilet water purchased at the drugstore. Marvelous!

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

My old girlfriend bought this for me as my High School Graduation gift. She knew I was into colognes big time, and her choice was great--As long as I a careful applying this (a small amount goes a LONG way) it is fantastic. It was my favorite scent through college.

Anbreen's avatar
    Anbreen

Musk Pierre by Madini

Light, clean musk with a strong caramel note. YUM! Apply with care. Sillage and last ar superior.

Penny S's avatar
    Penny S

Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

Tolu by OJ is really sexy. Perfect for a glamorous night out, but I’ve been wearing it everywhere. V. alluring and chic. Obviously has organic elements which is great for me because I love natural scents. Once the sage disappears it leaves a soft amber with the returning frankincense from the top note. May put away for the summer but it will be my winter perfume. It’s a very complex scent and it reminds me of old fashioned scents.

12 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 May, 2008)

Cody's avatar
    Cody

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is by far my favorite scent. From the initial spray to the drydown, it stays spicy and masculine. Every girl I know seems to love it, as well, which is a definite plus.

Vétiver by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal's Vetiver starts out with a very odd top note. As other reviewers have noted, the top note is a combination of Cognac, seaweed and iodine which was not particularly pleasant to my nose. Thankfully as it developed, Vetiver became a more accessible but still unusual vetiver fragrance. This is a very intriguing and wearable perfume although I am not sure if I would want a full bottle of this.

Here are the notes, as gleaned from various perfume websites: Cognac, seaweed, iodine, Burmese spices, rare woods, Javanese vetiver, patchouli, vanilla.

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

I'm not sure if my skin does not work well with Divine's perfumes or what (I've also tried Divine's Divine and Divine’s L'Homme Sage) but L'Homme de Coeur smelled musty and camphory on me, almost like a house that has been shut up for a while. It may have been the Iris note but whatever it was, it was not a pleasant scent on my wrist or that of my guinea pig boyfriend’s.

Here are the notes per The Perfumed Court’s website: Top: Angelica, Juniper Berries and Cypress; Middle: Iris; Base: Vetiver, Ambergris, and Deer Tongue.

Bois de Filao by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Bois de Filao is pleasant light wood scent that thankfully does not seem to have the usually sweet vanilla CSP base. However, maybe that is the reason why it had very little sillage on my skin and disappeared after approximately 30 minutes. Shame because it seemed so promising at the beginning.