Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Fleurs de Citronnier by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fleurs de Citronnier is a very light lemon blossom fragrance from Serge Lutens that is nice enough but the main adjective that comes to my mind to describe it is "insipid" and at Serge Lutens' prices, I expect to be dazzled. If you'd like to try a truly beautiful lemon fragrance, l would suggest Mona di Orio's lemony amber masterpiece "Lux".

Here are the notes, per The Perfumed Court’s website: Lemon Blossom, Neroli essence, Tuberose and Musk.

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Sage smelled like one of those scented votive bayberry candles that are sold loose at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $.99 each. I totally got a waxy note. It had pretty much the same aroma on my guinea pig boyfriend’s wrist so I am comfortable posting my (admittedly unconventional) assessment of it here.

Here are the notes per The Perfumed Court’s website: Top: Saffron, Mandarine, Cardamom and Lychee; Middle: Balm and Aromatic Woods, Patchouli; Base: Oak Moss, Amber and Incense.

Fresco di Vetiver by I Profumi di Firenze

Fresco di Vetiver is an exquisitely beautiful delicate vetiver fragrance that I would buy in a heartbeat if it had more sillage. For testing purposes, I dabbed my wrist as well as my boyfriend's wrist with a generous amount of juice and it unfortunately lasted only about 30 minutes on our skin. Beware! Fresco di Vetiver is one of those fleeting perfumes that will leave you desperately wanting more. Sigh....

Here are the notes, as gleaned from the perfume websites that sell it: Sicilian lemon, Spices, Javanese Vetiver.

Vetiver Sport by Guerlain

If you like Guerlain's Vetiver and/or Vetiver Pour Elle, you would certainly enjoy Vetiver Sport but I would not think that you would need own this if you already had one of the other two. Vetiver Sport was created in 2006 and is a classic pungent vetiver with much less sillage than big daddy Vetiver. As for Vetiver Pour Elle, I used to have it but swapped it away because it just wasn’t “me”. I wish I had saved a bit because it would have been nice to compare Vetiver Pour Elle against Vetiver Sport as they seem quite similar as far as I can recall. In fact, I wonder if Vetiver Sport might be the non-duty free version of Vetiver Pour Elle.

Sun by Jil Sander

Don't get the Joop comparison at all (thank God). It's vanilla, spice and musk, brilliantly blended, but really fresh also. It's much nicer than the later men's version and I don't have a problem wearing it. Sillage and longevity are excellent. This seems to be a real sleeper and great value for money. Gorgeous!

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I'm afraid some houses treat their male fragrance buyers with utter contempt, i.e. any old rubbish will do. This is a case in point.

charlielu's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Out of my collection of 17 perfumes, this would be dead last. The first time I smelt this perfume after a blind buy, I had to take it to a local perfume shop to get it checked if it was authentic.

To me it smelt highly synthetic, like a mix of lemon and burnt plastic. There was no progression to speak of, the whole time I smelt lemon and plastic.

Not worth the hype and rave reviews.

charlielu's avatar

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

This is an incredible piece of art... If I may put it that way.

I bought this blind after reading over the reviews and posts on the forums regarding this fragrance, I have to say, that was probably the best decesion I've ever made.

The opening is about 80% fruity+cucumber and 20% earthy and aquatic.

Throughout the duration, the ratio changes moves progressively towards the earthy aquatic side and settles into a delightful drydown.

Longetivety is great at about 6 hours and the sillage is also outstanding.

The only minor complaint I might have is that you might smell a bit of a synthetic/artificial note after you've had it on for a while.

Apart from that, I would say this is currently my favourite out of my collection.

His_Angel's avatar

Index Fig Apricot by Fresh

Thumbs way up. It's not niche, it's not made of holy dung that was blessed by two blind twin monks in a place no one can pronounce, it's not worn by royalty. It just smells good. It's youthful, enticing, approachable, soft, fresh, feminine. A lovely fragrance. I can't imagine this one offending anyone.

Noseworthy's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

If I had to choose 3 colognes only to live with for the rest of my life, Pour un Homme would be one of them. It's lavender is comforting and refreshing and the changeover to vanilla and musk is subtle and sensual, but not so sexy that it gets obtrusive. It will bring a quick look, maybe a smile, often of friendly recognition from a guy who knows the territory. And let's not forget that it's stood the test of time. I don't even get an inkling of what some of you are talking about when you find it offensive. It's - home.

limeswirls's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I can't believe how delicious this smells on me. I'm a chypre chick all the way yet still because I am a female my body chemistry really responds to the verbena and the iris. And so on me it's like a bouquet of iris and verbena wrapped in bark with 'leaves' of moss trailing from it. As for sillage I'm not really getting it, so on me it lays close to the skin. And not even a trace of bitterness from the lemon.

twinpeaker's avatar

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Just received my beautifully packaged sample set from Ineke Ruhlman. Apparently, the person in charge of internet sales literally lives across the street from my office in San Francisco, and walked it over himself. Now that's what I call service! It certainly puts me in a positive frame of mind to review Derring Do. So far, I'm loving it. The first impression is the citrus, light and clean and refreshing, followed by the middle notes which to my nose emphasize the magnolia. There is a flinty, almost metallic, crispness that keeps it alive and masculine. I've always been a little amused by descriptions that talk about "rain notes", since last time I checked rain had no fragrance, but this Derring Do does capture that moment when the first drops of a summer rain touch the dust on asphalt -- the scent that accompanies being caught in a downpour and escaping under a tree in the park. This is certainly NOT your father's eau de parfum.

The dry-down is warmer, but still fresh. My clients must be wondering why I keep raising my wrist to my nose....

johnism's avatar

Story by Paul Smith

Reminds me of light blue by D&G

JaimeB's avatar

Casran by Chopard

There are different versions of the notes: some include rum, ambered cherries, and chocolate; others, Moroccan geranium. I couldn't tell you everything that's in this one; but the overall impression is spicy and oriental, and maybe a hint of green and leather. This is certainly an energizing scent for me. It has a great deal of "presence" without being loud or raucous. A bit sharp at first (perhaps the nutmeg and anise?), it dries down to a suave and elegant finish.

purplebird7's avatar

Eternity by Calvin Klein

It's about time that I reviewed this. I bought a bottle of Eternity when it first came out. It smelled so good in those magazine inserts. I only used about one inch of the fragrance out of the bottle before I had to give it away. I'm afraid it smelled alot better on paper than it did on me. I got alot of freesia, orange, and rose, in a big, open, airy, spicy bouquet. It was both warm and cool at the same time, but it became obnoxious on my skin, overwhelming in fact. I cannot rate it negatively, however, because it was amazing at the time, and I still sneak spritzes of it now and then at the store. I just could not own a bottle of it.

purplebird7's avatar

Ed Hardy Woman by Christian Audigier

How disappointing. I pick up this edgy, fabulous, tattoo-painted bottle with skulls and words like "kills" and expect to smell something dark--weird. What do I get? Strawberries and cream.
    Jarring. Ironic. (Is that the joke?) I used to like creamy strawberry perfume--when I was 13 years old. Maybe I still do, but I was so confused that I didn't give this one a chance. For toothaching sweetness, Angel or Mariah Carey M are better, I think. That bottle, though, is a total success. Looks like a Mexican prayer candle. I love those, too.

Mookie's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I definitely got the lemon opening-- "summer day" smell at the top notes, but then it just disappeared on me. Don't know where it goes from there. I think it's a case of olfactory fatigue. I asked a friend and they can still smell it on my wrist. Good for them, but I like to enjoy the scent I'm wearing too.

nenugal's avatar

Norway Norway

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

When first trying this, my expectations were moderate. However, I walked out of the perfume shop with my wrist glued to the nose. For economic reasons, I tried to convince myself that I didn't need another aquatic/fresh scent, but with little success; the memory of the beautiful and "happy-energetic" top notes stuck in my brain.
    It is very easy to wear in most situations; non-offensive and office friendly (except that repeated invocation of the wrist-to-nose reflex may be disturbing and confusing your office-mates), and my wife loves it.
    This is now my favourite scent for casual summer days.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Hero by Prince Matchabelli

I read all the reviews about this and could never imagine what it smells like...so I bought one. Hero is indeed very very nice, it is in the same family as CK One Scene and CK Be. If you've tried CK Be, then you've experienced the aura of Hero. It is a flat but fresh fragrance that does not change much over time but it is always fresh...like a flower than blooms every 2 to 3 seconds.
    Hero is far more grown up however. It does have the sweet character of the CKs above but dialed down considerably, so you never feel like it is cloying. And it is not unisex like the CKs either. I know CK One Scene is somewhat rare, but it is closer to it than CK Be. CK One Scene is like a teenager with bubble gum flare, while Hero is like the uncle who is older but very hip and cool.
    Overall, it is semi-sweet with an addictive angle. I think it is best for a hot summer night after a cool shower post some serious, sweat inducing physical activity.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

It is as good as many have noted, starting off with the right amount of sweetness that is deep and satisfying; a dash of freshness that has a subtle sharpness to it and very good body. In warmer weather it turns into a wonderful nutmeg spice with a blue angle, reminiscent of Azzaro Visit and Kenzo Tokyo to my nose. It fades from there but delivering a cool whiff ever so often. As mentioned, it does NOT resemble the oriinal CW, which to me is just fine. I think this would have doen better with its own label, rather than hiding in the shadows of the first CW. I did not bother with this for so long because of its association with the banal CW.

13 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

kharisma92's avatar

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

If you want to walk around smelling like a "Panini" this is the fragrance for you! i love panini's, but i don't wanna smell like one.

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Guerlain is by most people known for its rich perfumes, but the house also has a line of 'eaux' - lighter and fresher fragrances made in cologne strength from citrus and herbs. Each of the perfumers from within the Guerlain family has composed an eau: Eau de Cologne Impériale (Pierre François Pascal Guerlain in 1853), Eau de Cologne du Coq (Aimé Guerlain in 1894), Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat (Jacques Guerlain in 1920) - and finally Jean-Paul Guerlain's simply named Eau de Guerlain from 1974. Actually, Eau de Guerlain is - rightfully - labelled as an Eau de Toilette: It's definitely the most complex and long-lasting of the four, and is has a remarkably long list of notes for a cologne. The balance of lemon and bergamot on one side and an aromatic bunch of herbs like basil, petitgrain and the anise-like caraway on the other is held in perfect check all the way through the scent in the most convincing and nostalgic way. It plays on the aromatic accord of dark Vol de Nuit, breezy Sous le Vent and dandified Mouchoir de Monsieur, but with basil to make it cool-uplifting, 'masculine' flowers like carnation and rose to make it tender, and stripped of any 'dirtiness'. Eau de Guerlain puts most of the Aqua Allegoria line's aromatic-fresh scents, like Herba Fresca, Lemon Fresca and Mandarine-Basilic, to shame.

13 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 May, 2008)

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

The opening is fantastic, fresh, stimulating, mouthwatering. Then a smell that I associate with dead damp grass on a steamy cloudy day shows up, something that I now realize is the patchouli on my skin. If I reapply it, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune keeps wearable, but that patchouli is like ashes in my paradise. I will wear it some more, because it's a Guerlain after all, and maybe I will change my mind despite the patchouli (or even because of it - funny, because I enjoy patchouli incense sticks a lot, but when it comes to perfume, it has been disappointing).

Ambargris by Madini

I wasn't impressed, at application. It seemed both too sweet and harshly medicinal. But, HOLEY-MOLEY! This is either the Holy Grail, or close to it!

Imagine sitting next to a camp fire, at the beach. The night is chilly, but the fire is warm. You've scented yourself with amber, under your warm sweater. Meanwhile, your sweater has soaked up the comforting fragrance of the wood smoke and glowing embers.

THAT'S what Madini Ambergris smells like! Delicious wood smoke over smooth and sensuous amber.

I had had a bottle that I hadn't touched. I finally tried it, yesterday. A couple of hours later, I ordered a big bottle-- n the catastrophic event that this might ever be discontinued. No WONDER this is A best seller!

Those who have no experience with Madini need to be careful of deciding "yea" or "nay" on early unfoldment. Madini fragrances tend to open slowly, and become more and more beautiful over a slightly longer time than most. Sillage and last are superior. And, it only taks a drop!

Brisingamen by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is sex in a bottle! On me it's warm layers and layers and layers of unfolding amber, like a flower blowing. This, Snake Oil, and O are the sexiest, most alluring and attractive scents, IMVHO, in the entire BPAL catalogue.

Jack by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Jack! ACK!

This scent seems to have quite a few fans, among BPAL addicts. On me, it's butter. Period. And, NOT n a good way. It's nausea-inducing, appetite-killing butter.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

Notes are kiwi, lavender, mandarin orange,
    mint, sage, cedar, bergamot,
    white musk and lemon.

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

Beautiful and invigorating summer cypress fragrance. It's rather shy in it's sillage though and needs plenty of application -- not sure of longevity yet. If it lasts, it's a keeper for sure.

sedonaperfumery's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Deneuve by Catherine Deneuve

The musk never smelled this good with the combination of Jasmin and Basil. Green notes adds another feeling to it, as well. Currently discontinued, but amazon still offers quite a good selection.

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Great smell but no lasting power, at least not on my skin! It was gone within the hour!!!