Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Un Lys by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I got a healthy sample of Un Lys in the process of bidding on a miniature bottle of Parfum Sacre that was offered with it on Ebay. I had pretty much dismissed Un Lys since I don't care for floral scents. In the meantime I had ordered the wax Serge Lutens sample set from France which arrived before the bottle did. I spread the sample on my wrist and was immediatly smitten. All I kept thinking was that if Un Lys could smell that wonderful in a weak wax sample, I couldn't wait to smell the actual liquid. When it arrived I was not dissappointed. I tend to go for scents that are spicy, woodsy and smokey like Tabac Blond, Habanita, Fumerie Turque, but Un Lys is giving them all some real competition. There is something creamy and hypnotic about this scent. This is exactly why I've learned to never say "never" when it comes to Serge Lutens.

UPDATE: in hot, humid weather there is an underlying skanky note that's absolutely gorgeous! Un Lys is full of surprises.

13 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2008)

Aramis by Aramis

I've since updated my opinion on this fragrance. In moderation it is a good fragrance, but not very complicated or modern. Even though this has sandalwood, the woody tones here come off more as slightly burnt pencil shavings. It's a dry, arid fragrance and won't be the favorite of everybody and does take some getting used to, but overall this is a decent fragrance. Wear with caution, though.

13 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Brut by Fabergé

A class fragrance. Yes, it is sold at drugstores and costs very little but this stuff still is decent when worn in moderation. Sophisticated and somewhat complex without pretentions. "Fanfare for the Common Man".

It is hard for me to categorize. Perhaps a floral fougere with a bit of a leathery or oriental note- like barbershop aftershave or talcum powder going exotic. There is a certain softness to it that is not often found in modern men's fragrances, especially of the drugstore/cheap variety. There are notes of jasmine and ylang-ylang coupled with geraniums and maybe carnations. The base is mildly sweet, woodsy, and mossy/leathery.

English Leather by Dana

This a definite classic. Think of a fragrance like Aramis, though much more complex, lively, and well-rounded. Sandalwood and oakmoss seem to dominate the base, with just a hint of sweetness. The middle and top notes seem vaguely citrus, but I cannot place the rest of them. Despite the name, I don't think it is particularly "leather" scented, it is more of a "woodsy" fragrance.

Old Spice Pure Sport by Procter & Gamble

I don't know exactly how to describe this fragrance. It is an Oriental but it smells nothing like the original Old Spice. It is soft, round, and there is a hint of sweetness or licorice here. The cologne doesn't smell particularly "sporty" to me, esp. as compared to the deodorant version; the cologne is slightly more refined.

Full Throttle by Orange County Choppers

Paul Sr.:

A decent cologne, especially if bought at a low price (it seems to vary quite a bit in price). This a leathery/peppery cologne. There is a hint of an orange top note. It is not complex at all, but neither is it offensive. It's a decent fall/winter cologne worn in moderation. I bought several bottles on sale and don't regret it, though I don't wear it every day.

Paul Junior:

This is a licorice and pepper cologne. White pepper. This cologne is more complex than Sr,. To my nose, it is less attractive. The top note is orange, again, but the middle and basenotes seem less leathery and more licorice, or anise. There is a drydown and mid-drydown here than reminds me of Activator hair treatment. Not the most pleasant smell. I'm not a big fan of this cologne.

Brut Revolution by Fabergé

I've since revised my review of this thread. it is definitely a derivative of Acqua di Gio, although it smells less smooth and more distinct. There is more of a sense of pepperiness here from the vetiver in the base notes, almost like a leathery smell more than an earthy smell. The lasting power is decent and on the whole it isn't realy a clone of Acqua di Gio but is vaguely similar. Recommended if you like this style of fragrance, but it definitely is derivative of AdG.

13 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 June, 2008)

Mario Justiniani's avatar
    Mario Justiniani
    Cuba Cuba

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bold? Well it does have extraordinary sillage. I believe this is the only review in which I thoroughly agree with everything everyone has said, both good and bad. If you wish to leave a trail of strong yet sweetened fumes as you walk through a corridor, this is it. On the other hand perhaps you should avoid corridors or any closed in spaces altogether.

foetidus

Figuier / Fig / Eau de Figuier by Heeley

Opens with a combative fig leaf. Don’t wash it off; its viciousness is dissipated within five or six minutes. When it settles down the fig leaf note has become one of the most true fig notes I have encountered: The note seems to me to be quite pure, and even though I’ve seen lime and cedar mentioned in a pyramid, I can’t really detect them in the accord. It impresses me as as pure of fig leaf note as I’ve encountered. It’s very well done, but, being a simply a fig leaf note, it really isn’t enough to hold my interest for the duration of the fragrance. This would be a great fragrance for a fig leaf addict: It’s highly refined, it wears beautifully, and it is meditatively comfortable. The fig leaf just doesn’t do it for me, but I must give credit to the high quality of the fragrance.

foetidus

Afire by Neil Morris Fragrances

Maybe it’s the slight burning in the nose at the first sniff; it does kind of burn my eyes when I get close enough to sniff it right after spraying; or maybe the incense from the base kind of explodes as soon as soon as it hits my skin: But I really have trouble accounting for the name… I simply don’t get anything related to fire in this fragrance. The incense of the opening doesn’t come across as pure incense; it presents itself as a mixed incense / semi-sweet fruity accord – an accord that strongly reminds me of a more transparent version of some of the better (and now discontinued) works of Donna Karan. But I don’t think of it as fire. Perhaps I have a different standard of the fires of passion, but I don’t find Afire very fiery or very passionate: Maybe a case of selective anosmia: I often can’t smell red pepper in fragrances that are supposed to have it. Or maybe its just plain exhausted, depleted libido. I’m not saying that I don’t like this scent; in fact, I enjoy it – it is totally admirable and wonderfully sniffable. I get the excellent citrus / berry opening – light, sweet, and delightful. And I get the caramel, and that accord is very yummy, but I’m not getting any sultriness or vibrancy or fires of passion or seduction. I’m probably way too old ...

ineespenes's avatar
    ineespenes
    Norway Norway

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

It's not often that a scent creates so strong associations as this does to me.To me Le baiser du dragon is a treasure chest filled with dry flowers and maybe some incence in an antique shop.It comes out rather strong to begin with.On me the most pronounced notes are Vetiver and patchouli which gives it a bit of edge,but it gradually develops into a warmer scent when the benzoin kicks in.It reminds me slightly of Shalimar,which is probably the benzoin and vanilla.It's a scent I need to be in the mood for,but when I am it's perfect.One of my Diva scents.I always feel that I have to be dressed up to wear it. I feel I've discovered a real gem this time:)

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

A bright, citrus and oriental scent, with touches of galbanum and iris. Perfect for warm weather, which is what we're having as I write this. This is fairly enveloping and rather rich, even a little creamy, without being in any way in-your-face. Pleasant, uplifting, cheerful. My only issue with this is that the combination of iris and benzoin makes for a slightly powdery drydown; and yet, this is less powdery than I would have expected. The oriental notes and the galbanum fortunately seem to go a long way toward mitigating the powdery effect.

syidi_radzi's avatar
    syidi_radzi

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Salute to Annick Menardo for brilliantly mixing up 6 humble notes which turn out to be an absolute timeless fragrance, the opening is so subtle which both notes eucalyptus and incense do not overpower each other, which later on the scent evolves to something that is medicinally fresh. Love it!

Mookie's avatar
    Mookie

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

the dominate note on my skin seems to be the tangerine one. from the beginning it's evident and the background changes only slightly in the first few minutes. it's pleasant and i could see it working for anyone.

nothing i love to smell but the girls seem to enjoy it.

Aiona's avatar
    Aiona

Design by Paul Sebastian

Last weekend, I was in the backyard weeding and trimming invasive trumpet vines, when caught a whiff of some flowery scent. It smelled like "Design" by Paul Sebastian. I thought it was most unusual, because our yard is pretty darn big, and our nearest neighbor is quite far. Who was wearing "Design" in my yard??? It was just me and the dogs. Well, I was hauling the trimmings out to the the bin in the back alley, and I saw these beautiful yellow flowers. I sniffed them, and it was "Design." I was shocked, so when my neighbor came out to throw his trash away, I asked him what this plant was. He said, "It's Spanish Broom." "Design" smells like Spanish Broom to me.

The first time I smelled "Design" was on a coworker who had come into the cold room to return the centrifuge rotor. She was a young woman, about mid 20's, and this was the 1990's. So I don't associate "Design" with old women, as some other reviewers do. It smelled lovely on her! But when I bought some for myself, it really did not smell the same on me at all. It smelled awful. So, I never wear it.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

Think Francesco Smalto pour Homme married to Montana Parfum d'Homme and you pretty much have all the olfactory info you need to peg this one.

Sadly, discontinued.

Suppressor's avatar
    Suppressor

Chrome by Azzaro

This stuff is awesome.
    It's one of the few fresh citrus scents with good longevity and sillage!
    Sometimes the drydown is insane...
    I remember being in the buss, and I was asking myself "hmm, who is smelling so good here". Untill I realised the smell was following me to my house and in my room... It was me who smelled awesome!!! Damn this stuff is great.

Suppressor's avatar
    Suppressor

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I get very bad sillage and longevity out of this...
    This was love from the first smell, but the longevity is insanely low.
    And the spray mechanism is really bad.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

L'Écume des Jours by Ayala Moriel

L'Écume des Jours is an exceptional fragrance. I urge those interested to go to Ayala's website & read her comments about the link between this fragrance and the novel of the same title. Her intent was to create a slightly "melancholy" scent. Without knowing that, I had already characterized this as having a haunting, contemplative character. The opening is very interesting, aromatic and spicy-green. I find the florals to be subtle, they slightly soften the dry elements but are not foreground. The salty-briny note from seaweed is really interesting. The elements here, and the mood they create, are first-rate. This must be tried to be understood; words fail to capture its effect. Ayala has a real understanding of green scents. Speaking as a fan of green scents, I never fail to be pleased with her creations. This is listed in Basenotes as a feminine scent but I can assure you that many men will love it, this one does!

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

gs01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Top: dew drop green, orange blossom, green lime, carrot seed
    Mid: white peach, freesia, waterlily, rose, jasmine, davana
    Base: cedar, vetiver, sandalwood, basmati, musk, amber, moss
    This is a lovely scent, full of peach fruit and richly sweet flowers. It is not unisex, it is a feminine scent; and it would suit a lovely young lady.

Dimitrios's avatar
    Dimitrios

Missoni Uomo by Missoni

A quality scent that unfortunately is no longer available . A big thumbs up by me .

highlife's avatar
    highlife
    Japan Japan

Beach by Bobbi Brown

As a new member, I'm nervous leaving my review for the first time...but here goes... (smile & deep breath)

I grew up along the coastline of North Carolina, and like the other reviews, I found Beach to be hauntingly familiar. Think of a beautiful summer day, clear blue skies with fluffy white clouds. The feel of wet sand between your toes and the sound of the waves breaking. Then imagine the warm hands of someone you love spreading tanning oil on your back....
    Beach brings back all these nostalgic sensations clearly for me whenever I give myself a quick spritz. (As an eau d'parfum, I found that, for me, a little goes a long way.)
    This isn't one I go to everyday, but it's definitely one I reach for whenever my mood needs lifting.

argus wishingwell's avatar
    argus wishingwell

Essence Pure pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

a safe choice for office wear. very subtle and light. fruity and fresh. the first notes dwelling at your nose are "star anise"(ı got the anise but star? i've only read about it) and that ozonic note (i found it like azzaro chrome's sythetic top plus lanvin l'homme)... low sillage (good point for office) but decent longevity. there's one more thing i want to say; if you apply 2-3 sprays, you get %70 fresh fruity notes and %30 anise, but if you apply 5-6 or more sprays, then you smell like you have worn a very light version of lolita lempicka au masculin. finally; it is an okay fragrance but no more.

so i give a neutral for the mean subtleness.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

When I first received the sample a few weeks ago and tried it, I had to scrub it off. However, I agree with foetidus: this scent has to be tested thoroughly before you can really make up your mind about it. Something compelled me to pull it out again last night. I was surprised at how differently I responded to it this time. I went to sleep smelling my wrists. In the morning the drydown was quite beautiful. I just re-applied and I am really enjoying it as I type this. This is a masculine scent, but I'm just the kind of woman who can pull it off. This is not a scent that I would wear every day, but would save it for those occasions when I want to throw people off a bit...jar their senses a little by wearing a scent that's totally unexpected on a woman. An art opening or a party would be the perfect place.

14 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2008)

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

This brings to mind the old saying: "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." I'm giggling as I write this because I have a story to help me plead my case for this scent. A smitten man recently spoiled me by taking me to Brennan's in New Orleans for the famous breakfast which included their trademark dessert "Bananas Foster" Since the dessert is prepared by your waiter right at the side of your table, you get to see the point where he douses the ingredients (ripe bananas, butter, brown sugar, etc.) with brandy (or was it rum?) and sets it aflame before pouring the piping hot mixture over French vanilla ice cream and serving you. We smiled with delight and satisfaction as we savored each spoonful (I'm going off on a romance novel tangent here, but this is all true). And as if that wasn't enough, when we finished, they brought us (compliments of the house) a single helping of the bread pudding with praline sauce and two spoons. When I first applied Sweet Oriental Dream, that day at Brennan's and all the wonderful smells created by those desserts immediately came to mind, so anybody who says that scents don't trigger memories is either lying or in denial. I KNOW that when he smells this he's going to think of that day too. This is a scent has a playful humor to it. Some scents should be vehicles for triggering memories and creating new olfactory experiences and Sweet Oriental Dream definitely does that. And, if it does nothing else it sends the signal that YOU'RE good enough to eat.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening, for me, was all hay and pepper, very dry. A little later, warm incense and wood emerged, but didn't stay around long enough for me. It finally settled into something like pimento and orrisroot. I wanted to like this because every description of it that I'd read on perfume websites made me imagine that it would be a scent that was right up my alley, but in the end I just couldn't get into it. It stayed way too dry and distant for my tastes.

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

The opening: Rum and wood - I'm up to no good! There's a strange sort of dissonance among the notes (in a good way) that evokes mystery and mischief. For the most part warm spices and woods are the focus here with the rum wafting in and out. Definitely unisex but IMO it falls a little more on the masculine side and that's okay. If you want to throw sombody off balance, wear this.

limeswirls's avatar
    limeswirls

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

It's a winner with me because I can't detect any chemical or preservative smells like I can in so many other fragrances. Yes, it's true it is a little sweet yet like other reviews have stated the sweetness is sufficiently upstaged by the musk, sandalwood and amber notes. It also makes a great layering fragrance because it is willing to lend a supporting role to crisper and bolder scents that can use a backseat driver to subdue them a bit.

mustafaabidali's avatar
    mustafaabidali

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This is simply one of the best scents I have encountered after Creed. It is so fresh, you can 'taste' the smell for hours and hours. I highly recommend Jubilation - The only issue I have is the price, it is quite expensive. A marketing suggestion - lower the price and see your sales going up!

Thumbs up all the way!!!

Z-Fragrance's avatar
    Z-Fragrance

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

My sister bought and it smells amazinng on her. She just smells so good. I would recomend this fragrance to every single one of my female friends.