Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

My favorite perfume; I just adore this one. I can't believe they've discontinued it - I mean - what WERE they thinking?? It has a HUGE following, from what I can tell, so it just doesn't make sense ... It's a softly spicy scent with a slight undertone of wood, quite lovely.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I have the EDT - I'm confused about this scent, because I see the EDP advertised with different scent notes - anyone know what's up with that??? Anyway, I LOVE the scent of the EDT and it works just perfectly for me - I love the little touch of honey you get right at the start of it, and the bits of woodiness that gradually seep in as the day progresses. This is a perfect scent for summer ... or for recalling summer during the winter. Lovely stuff.

Crystal Aura by Avon

I really like this scent - it has a nice burst of florals with a hint of fruit that bursts through at the beginning and as the day progresses it mellows down to a sweet woodiness. I have received a number of compliments and people want to know what that wonderful perfume is. I number this among my favorites.

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! I can't get enough of it and although I got the biggest bottle I could get, I have a sinking feeling I will go through it WAY too fast, 'cause I like to put it on whenever - before work, before logging onto the internet - before going to bed even, because I LOVE THAT SMELL! It's just delicious. Give it a try!!

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

I like this scent a LOT on me; my husband likes it too - his exact words were "that's nice, it's nice and fresh." He doesn't like stuff that smells like "gramma perfume" (which is how he defines my For Her, for example). The scent is sharp and fresh at the opening, with the fruits and florals coming through as time goes by; as the dry-down comes, you are left with the sensual softness of the cedar and vetiver, vanilla and patchouli. It has a good staying power and the scent is bold without being "knock you off your chair" strong. Obviously each person has a different body chemistry and therefore the scent will respond uniquely to each person, but for me? This is a win.

14 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 May, 2008)

JaimeB's avatar

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

This is another classic from a hundred years or so ago. The folk wisdom is that this was the follow-up EdT version of the 1889 Jicky.That may or may not be true... Now there is an EdT version of Jicky, and I can tell you, personally, I like Mouchoir de Monsieur much better.

The official notes (from the Guerlain website) are:

Head notes : Lavender, bergamot, verbena;
    Heart notes : Rose, jasmine, neroli;
    Base notes : Fern harmony, patchouli, vanilla, iris.

Other folk wisdom says there's civet in this, but Guerlain doesn't seem to confirm that... or are they just trying not to alarm the timid among us? Or is it possibly subsumed under "fern harmony?" I definitely smell something like an animalic note in this, but perhaps it's just because I want to believe it's really there.

In any case, my take on this one is that it's a beautiful snapshot of what masculine elegance seemed like at the turn of the last century; and having said that, I want it to be the epitome of masculine elegance today as well! The feeling I get when I wear this is superb, like walking on air. No matter what's going on in my day-to-day pedestrian existence, I can't believe there's anything to be concerned about if I smell this good.

The wonderful thing about M de M is that you can wear it in just about any temperate weather, although I do think it's nicer in the spring, on a cool-to-mild day. People who encounter it on me seem a little perplexed at first, but if they've noticed, they usually have something very good to say about it. It's quite different from anything else out there (except maybe Jicky), and so it usually gets remarked on a bit more than the run-of-the mill scents people are over-exposed to.

I have worn this to work, although for me, it works better for leisure situations. It's just that it's hard to be other than carefree when I'm wearing this; it takes an effort to feel I'm seriously responsible for anything other than existing and communing with the beauty of life.

If there's one word for this scent, as far as I can tell, it would have to be "optimistic."

manicboy's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

A modern masculine classic if there ever was one. Takes the best aspects of Brut & Old Spice and takes it to the next stratosphere so that Dad can wear something new. One of the most versatile men's scents too. Perfect for the office or a night on the town. With a tie or an open button-down shirt, it's doesn't matter. Envy handles it all so superbly. Starts out with a spicy accord that's really hard to pinpoint one note though the coriander & pepper make their presence known. Glides into a heart of ginger and carnation that give it both a sweet and piney aura. Also, I'm reminded of those great 70's scents that used carnation & pine. This is also where it takes it beats loudly, never too sweet or too piney either. Casually saunters out of the room in a breeze of vetiver, sandalwood & vanilla. Timeless and ageless. Uplifting and bright, romantic and cordial. Thumbs through the roof on this one.

15 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 June, 2008)

Renato's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

Quite simply, the absolute worst scent I've ever tried.
    After spraying it on my hand in a shop, to stop from gagging I found a bottle of Kenneth Cole Black in the store next door and sprayed it all over this foul rubbish. Then scrubbed it off when I got back to the office, using five minutes of soap and hot water to get rid of the stench.

Apparently, this scent has something to do with sex.
    If sex smelled anything like this, I'd have taken a vow of chasisty, joined a monastery, and spent the rest of my life contemplating how a good God could have created something so vile.
    Renato

purplebird7's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Paris was underwhelming for me. I feel bad saying this because I wonder about my sanity when so many other people like this perfume. It came out of the bottle smelling interesting, like minty violets on a bed of rose petals. Then it developed no further nuances on my skin. It merely remained a nice floral and no more. (For comparison, I put Coco on my other hand, and that one had much more character and smelled much better throughout its development.)
    I thought hard about another time that this happened: it was with Bulgari Pour Femme. Same thing--violets and roses, okay but nothing special. Then I noticed that both were by Sophia Grojsman, so I guess that is the commonality. Her rose and violet theme doesn't wear well on me.

odysseusm's avatar

L'Herbe Rouge by Ayala Moriel

Lemongrass is the centre of this scent, exerting its strong lemony – grassy presence. Hay absolute combines with the lemongrass to create a sweet, “hay field in the sun” chord. Some aromatic notes from the clove bud, lavender and juniper berry add interest at the beginning, but they quickly make way for the lemongrass.

scentsitivity's avatar

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

Tania Sanchez in the book “Perfumes” (co-authored with Luca Turin) suggests violet leaves as prominent here, and while it does not appear in the scent pyramid, I would tend to agree with him. Violet leaves and lime. Very sexy? Not even close. How about calling it ‘Somewhat Boring for Everyone’? Okay, maybe that is a little harsh, but it is rather unexciting. (Revised and corrected - 22 May 08).

15 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2008)

scentsitivity's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

What makes John Varvatos stand out for me the tamarind and date early in the development. The whole of it is nice enough, with the smooth ambery-leather drydown. But it is the fruity notes that are special to me and made this ‘must have’ for me. Good projection. I have gotten compliments for it. Good duration. Recommended.

LegendaryD's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I received a sample of Tea for Two many-many months ago. At first, I didn't really care much for it, but as the months dwindled down to this day of my review (and after re-sampling it), I came to finally love it! They say scents brings back fond memories, and after remembering a similar scent I caught briefly many years ago in a tobacco shop, it reminded me of Latakia Tobacco (which the scent is similar to Lapsang Souchong tea, according to sources). In the end, I finally ordered the 100ml bottle.

Dimitrios's avatar

Etienne Aigner by Etienne Aigner

Liquid Gold !! This fragrance is rich luxurious and why on earth it was discontinued is beyound comprehension .

maxtoo's avatar

Vicolo Fiori by Etro

This is an extremely pleasant and relaxing floral fragrance without any screechy overtones so many
    floral blends have. I wear this quite happily during the day. I don't quite understand quite how it
    is perceived as girly a scent. It doesn' t smell exclusively girly on me (or to me) anymore than Habit Rouge , Hammam Bouquet, or Rose d'Homme do--All of which are much stronger, deeper florals.
    I already have the small bottle- I'm going to get the largest one when this runs out( which will be soon)!

Vish's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

My friend got this for himself n I had the pleasure of trying this one out...Its is so much like Chirstian Lacroix Tumulte(Which I jus love)....
    This one is a very wonderful cologne n worth givin a try...

play's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Smells synthetic to me. However the dry down is absolutely amazing. This has woody notes infused with other ingredients to well that it is overall soothing and very mild (i detect light smelling north-indian sandalwood, which is not as strong as majority of fragrances using stronger smelling mysore sandalwood).

Oh and one more thing...this works like a charm w/ the ladies.

SirSlarty's avatar

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Too dry and much too like Terre d'Hermes to me (which I don't like but is "wetter"). Earthy and clingy like a boring girlfriend who won't let go. I have to say, it's a good scent, but I'd just can't wear it the patchouli turns me off.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, nobody has said to me yet that I smell “dirty” although I wear Kouros quite often (maybe, I meet exclusively polite people;-). On the contrary, mainly I hear “it smells somehow… chemical, like some purification’s liquid”; but that’s OK, I don’t even expect from the people around me to “understand” Kouros. I reconciled to that long time ago and I wear it just because of my own pleasure.
    At first, the animalistic part of the scent is ably covert; But, after some time it becomes very significant. Kouros is just like a successful first date. At the beginning you are quite polite. Gradually, you become loose… And, at the end, it is right time for the animalistic part of you to show up… in bed… or somewhere else, immaterial.
    You can find in this one clove, cedarwood, mace, oakmoss and (my favorite) civet, but one note is extremely important here and I want to say something about it. Here is the story…
    There is an interesting religious custom in one part of the orthodox world. Namely, people set fire some incense and with it they go through the whole house/apartment. They do that on days of the greatest saints. People believe that, with this ritual, they drive the devil out from their living space.
    It was Sunday and a saint Nicola’s day. I was in my room with a bit of Kouros on my arm. Suddenly, I felt that some smell came into my room and I thought mechanically “Hey, why the whole apartment smells just like my arm!?”. Naturally, it was a smell of burned incense.
    Several days after that, I splash some Kouros on my arm and I asked my parents: “Does this smell remind you of something?”.
    They didn’t have any dilemma: ”Of incense, assuredly”.
    If the devil utters a wish to come into my life I would wear Kouros… just in case.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Vetyver by L'Occitane

You have already said that the most similar scent to Vetyver is Envy for Men by Gucci (what is absolutely right, by the way). I have both Vetyver and Envy in my collection and sometimes I splash Vetyver on one and Envy on the other arm. Vetyver is just more “austere” and “mature” than Envy.
    How could I describe Vetyver? It is woody, spicy, very deep and, for the first half an hour, bitter, after that it is quite sweet. The smell of Vetyver reminds me of our local alcoholic drink named “Bitter leaf”.
    This fragrance is on my skin pretty short lasting and quite timid so I use it purely for my personal enjoyment at home.
    I have to say one more thing: I respect very much L’Occitane’s ecological orientation and I’m always ready to give L’Occitane’s scent a huge credit because of that.

Bigsly's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I envision a futuristic world, like the bubble-domed one in Logan's Run, where Kouros is sold in a novelty store, situated between the rubber chicken and the fake vomit. Or perhaps it will be in a museum, and visitors will be able to actually get a whiff of it, if they dare! By that time, public restrooms will smell much better than they do now (in most nations).

Kouros is a powerful, long-lasting, sickly chemical scent that features no subtlety and no development (on my skin, at least). Keep in mind that I'm not some twenty-something aquatic guy. I like Vermeil, actually, which I'd recommend to anyone who likes this kind of frag over Kouros (it's got powerful animalic notes and also that "fake clean" quality). Or Ungaro II, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I also like Carlo Corinto once in a while, which features strong leather and dark amber notes.

I recently tried Brut (before trying Kouros) and that is similar, in that you get a strong, long-lasting sickly chemical scent that has no subtlety and doesn't develop. It's amazing that these two fragrances are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, in terms of price and prestige. I can only image that if you sweat profusely, somehow Kouros will develop into something that is remotely tolerable. I'd also warn you that this kind of fragrance can cause your sense of smell to change, as Sung Homme did to me. Now I have such sensitivity that I usually can only stand one spray of an EDT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it saves me a lot of money, though I don't appreciate the stronger fragrances the way I used to (when I really liked Vermeil and had to wear it once a week).

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Casran by Chopard

very gourmand and sweet, good drydown, made by Nathalie Lorson, of Kate Moss and Boucheron Saphir fame.

Big_Scooter's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

One of my favorites. It is sweet, but not too sweet for me (and I am extremely picky about sweetness). Mostly orange, strong clove, and a bit of mint in the opening. As it dries down, it loses the mint and citrus in favor of apple, musk, woods and the ever-present clove. Very nice. Maybe too much clove for some people, but probably worth a sample for anyone who doesn't despise clove. My girlfriend liked it so much she bought her own bottle and she wears it more than I do.

If I felt any particular need to conjure up poetry for a bottle of smelly chemicals, it would probably be for l'anarchiste. Don't hold your breath though.

Edit: I'm picky. I didn't like my original review.

15 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2009)

Big_Scooter's avatar

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Used to like it, but I enjoy the topnotes less and less with each use. I like the herbal character, but I'm not a fan of the grapefruit (I rarely like citrus), and there is some sort of warmth from a spice or something that doesn't seem quite right with the coolness of the other notes. Still quite nice when it dries down for 30 minutes though.

15 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 October, 2009)

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

This perfume is so sexy and exotic. When I close my eyes I can almost imagine myself in the romantic world as described by Pearl Buck and so many others. This fragrance is spicy and oozes unashamed sensuality. Definitely a scent for a special night.

Boss Femme by Hugo Boss

This is my new fragrance. It's soft and delicate and oozes femininity without going overboard on the florals. Rather, it reminded my husband of brown sugar. The fragrance has a good lifespan, it lasts several hours on me.

White Musk Blush by Body Shop

All I smell here is alcohol. Reminds me of cheap nail polish remover.

twinpeaker's avatar

Dianthus by Etro

The lovely folks at Aedes sent me a sample of this along with some masculines I had requested. I have never been a fan of carnations, and would never have believed the could smell this good. The carnation/clove/orange accords are, for me, a new experience and I am enjoying it very much. Today in San Francisco we are having un-heard-of 94 degree weather and this fragrance could not be more perfect; it is a cool breeze stirring the leaves in a tree while I nap on a hammock. The clove (and a bit of leather?) also brink to mind the wonderful smell of an old book in a beautiful binding, making it almost masculine enough for me to wear ...

shiv's avatar

Cassis Rose by Body Shop

I love rose scents, but find most to be overtly sweet and powdery or too deep and dank. Cassis Rose by Body Shop is a scent that has managed to bring the lighter, flirtier side of roses out. I love the opening fruity notes of cranberry. The middle floral notes of violet, freesia and (of course) cassis rose are fresh and not too dark. The bottom notes of musk add just the right amount of depth to a perfume that can be worn out during the day or night time. It's a bit reminiscent of Stella McCartney's 'Stella' because of the rose and musk notes, but it's not as strong and is more versatile.

Also something to note, I've noticed a slight difference in the Cassis Rose Body spray from the perfume. The former seems to have some greener notes in it that the perfume doesnt have.

dainty's avatar

LouLou by Cacharel

this fragrance is something my great granny would wear. i just boughtthis yesterday thinking that it smells great, based on the user ratings from another website. boy i was wrong. it's a waste of money! maybe this perfume would smell great 20 years ago. i regret buying this. gave me headache..