Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

No. 5 by Chanel

im 27. and this perfume i think is best for my great great granny!! yuck! old smelling pefume! waste of my money

Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne

smells best for women aged 40+. i dont like it

Red Jeans by Versace

this is absolutely one of my favorite scents! loved it it the 90s .love it till now! attention getter

pasha's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

There has never been, nor will there ever be, a sexier 'modern' scent.

Gucci Eau de Parfum is just sublime. There is no other word to describe it. It is extremely well-crafted, skillfully blended, very deep and layered, and seriously seductive. It is a luminous scent that reminds me of heavy-lidded bedroom eyes, dirty thoughts and regretful morning-afters. (in a good way) The most important thing is, this scent is extremely luscious and it has a addictive drug like feeling. It is dark, or makes me feel dark.

It has a synthetic sort of facade to be honest, yet a very good one at that.

The list of notes are:

Top notes: orris, heliotrope, orange blossom, and vanilla absolute.
    Middle notes: cistus, cumin, and thym.
    Base notes: patchouli, vanilla, and deep musk.

Musk is particularly dirty here, as many have mentioned, but vanilla is not that over-powering. It is a floral scent (particularly white flowers I detect), yet it is warm and rich, and not a innocent, sweet floral, but a dangerous and intriguing one at that. And you don't get any annoying fruit notes like many other women's (and men's by the way) scents seem to push forward nowadays. (As if I want to smell like Fruit Loops) I am addicted, and I am a guy. There is a coldness and innate arrogance of this perfume: it is complete, sensual, yet not very tender. It is an extremely confident statement.

I wish they had released a masculine version of this particular scent. Yet it seems less and less likely, since the much more demure pink Eau de Parfum II seems to get more push from Gucci nowadays. They don't care that much about this perfect Tom Ford creation anymore as much as they used to. So no luck there I guess.

And finally the heaviness of the gorgeous bottle, the weight, the shape, how the juice sprays itself out of it, the packaging, the amber color of the perfume, and the ad campaign with the model Natalia Vodianova with the bedroom hair and that haunting expression on her face (if you guys remember it) are all perfection. It is not for everyone I'll admit, but to me, it is riveting, controversial, sexy as hell.

Truly exquisite. Eau de Parfum is flawless in every way.

EDIT: I am certain Gucci has now discontinued this, and this is the most asinine decision any company has ever made. This gem was the only redeeming quality remaining in the company's perfume portfolio and without Gucci Eau de Parfum, they won't have anything that will make them stand out in today's watered down, 'peony-and-pink-pepper'-ed scent market.

Frankly, they should be ashamed of themselves.

15 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 May, 2011)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

The original Sycomore fragrance was reportedly a reminder for Coco Chanel of the sycomore trees towering over her home garden. Yes, it reminds me of the deep verdant dampness and shadows beneath my own sycomore canopy that covers my front garden.
    When I first smelled Chanel's new Sycomore I was immediately drawn in by its resinous, green incense nature. The opening notes resonate with a smokey woods and green earth - a rooty deep green vetiver. Along with the vetiver there is also a chypre effect that buzzes around the scent from the woody violet and woody vetier. This is clearly a vetiver centered fragrance that has all the positives of the best earthy damp vetivers but also with the warmth and mystery of uplifting smokey incense. Adding to the mix of vetiver and smoke woods is a light floral note - possibly honesuckle for sweetness and a woody violet note. This floral heart reminds me of the green floral of Creed's Chevrefuille, warm sunny and light flowers but still very green. What a magical mix of fragrance elements. Deep green vetiver with smokey light woods and uplifting florals are well blended for a chypre floral chord that resonates above and around the scent of the ingredients. With all these parts it still never loses its vetiver soul.

16 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2008)

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

On a travel I got the possibility to try Eau Sauvage on DH:s skin. And I was totally breathtaken! This is the next bottle I will buy for him!!! I don´t find it old-fashion at all. It is really fresh and I do belive it is an easy-to-wear-frag, too. I never found anything like this yet... Haven´t tried it on my own skin yet, but I will when I get the possibility...

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

I hoped so much for this fraganse, so I was very sad to find out that it is not made for my skin, when I finally, on a travel, got the possibility to try it. It is obvious quallity, but don´t come out nice at all on me. There came even an obvious smoke-note after some minutes, who settled down after fifteen minutes.

Now my hope stands to Un Jardin sür le Nile, it smelled divine from the bottle, but it will take a long time until I get the possibility to try it on my skin...

UJdM gets a neutral thumb from me, as I can smell it is a quallity-fraganse. I envy all of you who wears it well!

Rubylips by Salvador Dali

Not a single "thumbs up" for Rubylips yet - I must change that immediately! This is a joyful beautiful frag, well done, the best of Dali´s perfumes avaliable right now, at least in my oppinion. - Maybee it is because of our different skin-chemistrys it appears different on us. Rubylips doas not comes out very sweet on my skin, even if very many frags are developing sweetnes on me. Red fruits, lovely drydown, medium staying power. Truly lovely bottle, the smallest perfect for the handbag. I am one of the lucky ones who wears this well! Try it before getting it!

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

I got as bottle of this on a travel. Actually, I was looking for Eau de Merveilles, as so many here at BN is writing so well about it, but there where no possibility to try Eau dM, and I did really liked the Elixire, so I got it and the bodylotion. And I am so glad I did! This is true quallity!

Elixire dM is discreete, yet really speaking, and really longlasting, too. It sings in a complex way, too. I don´t find it a typical gourmand, as the food-notes are nice blended with other components, to a very special longlasting "song".

Two thumbs up from me! This can become a favourite of mine!

Perfume_Addict's avatar

Vanille 44 by Le Labo

Official notes are: Bergamot / Incense / Gaiac Wood / Mandarin / Vanilla / Muscenone / Pipol / Hedione. The first hit is the Gaiac wood and vanilla, but as it drys down the bergamot, mandarin and floral notes surface. Very pleasant, but also rather light. I think it would work well for daytime/office wear, and is definitely unisex.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Trebor's review is wonderful, and I agree with him that this Guerlain is very "Luten-esque"! Spiritueuse Double Vanille has substance and depth yet remains sheer. The vanilla here is rich and smooth, with a note of pure sweet pipe tobacco complimented by the slightest bit of booziness and smoke. I too was taken by suprise, SDV is very easy to enjoy, and completely wearable by a man or woman.

tuomas's avatar

Finland Finland

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

It's not perfect but there is something elegant and "expensive" in this one.

odysseusm's avatar

Song of Songs by Ayala Moriel

Your love is more delightful than wine.
    Pleasing is the fragrance of your anointing oils,
    your name is perfume poured out.
    Song of Songs 1:2-3
    In Jewish tradition, the Biblical book 'Song of Songs' is classified as wisdom literature. And there is wisdom in this scent, the evocation of love in its various kinds. We have the beauty and sensuality of love, in the lovely deep rose notes. We have the quiet contemplative (even yearning) aspect of love, in the introspective incense notes. The incense has an interesting treatment here. It is not rich and sweet (as in a typical oriental) nor is it dry and turpentine-like (as in some Mediterranean men's fragrances). This takes a third path, one I struggle to describe: something like steeped herbal tea. We sense the smells and the thoughts associated with a cooled cup of tea as one waits for one's beloved...
    This fragrance is very interesting since it uses fragrance elements known since Egyptian times, many of them mentioned in the great love-poem of the Bible, Song of Songs.

paul's avatar

Blend 30 by Dunhill

I return after some time away to say this stuff is still top notch power scent. You couldn't possibly wear it every day. I see the Safari comparison but this is smokier, pinier, greener. I may have just made up an adjective there!)

16 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 May, 2010)

serenissimo's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Well, it's May and lilac's in full bloom and it is now that one can feel how really far En Passant stays from true lilac fragrance. Lilac seems to be "too much" near EP. Sure En Passant has lilac in it (I mean not extraction but olfactory impression of course), but there's more, much much more. There is a feeling of spring humid cool air somewere in the country (or an early chilly morning in the center of rather an old city, somewhere on an embankment of a local river, just an abstract european city). A smell of fresh bread (I don't know what it means to you, but to me this smell has always been a kind of intimate, very personal and self... well not "selfish" but something you do not usually have intention to share). And something more that makes a morning tense with anxiety that something good and important is to happen...
    but well, maybe it's just a personal reaction.
    One thing is doubtless: it is very impressionistic and there's a lot more in it then just the chemicals it's made of...

irish's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Pathetitc mixture of set sail saint barts (fake margarita and fake guava) and CDG soda. A fruity, creamy, aquatic combo that fails to stay together as a fragrance.

distortech's avatar

By Night Jette by Jette Joop

I picked it up for 6 bucks without a cap at a Gordman's store a few days ago. The bottle caught my eye because it was in the MEN'S section (between Versace and Bvlgari). I was perplexed as I never heard anything about a Men's version, nor cared, may I add . . . SO anyway, long story short, I tried it on my wrist and went back to the office. The result: EVERYONE was loving it - compliments all around (male and female). Yay!

I researched it further and realized it was indeed for women. However, it worked very well on me and no one ever questioned me about it being to girly, therefore, to me, it's unisex. One woman even said I smelled good enough to eat! Whoa . . . I think you can see my point.

That being said, I decided to go back and buy it a couple days later.

Now after buying it, I still like it, but something about it is nauseating (several sprays arms, neck, chest) in the base after ohh, 7 hours . . . Believe me people, this stuff lasts 4EVER. GO very easy on it. A spray on the wrists goes a very, very, very long way and worn sparingly, this stuff is fantastic. TOO much though, horrendous.

chengfun's avatar

Saks Fifth Avenue for Her by Bond No. 9

I tried a sample of this recently and immediately fell in love with it. It is truly a BIG white floral, very heady, very sultry. It starts off sweet and a little coconuty, reminding me of Malibu rum. Then the gardenia and tuberose come to the fore in full force. As a tuberose fan I'm in 7th heaven here. The dry down is totally gardenia. It is certainly potent but it doesn't feel tacky to me. In fact it is quite intoxicating. Longevity and sillage are excellent. A day or two later I can still smell it on a shirt I put some on. I'm definitely adding it to my wardrobe.

16 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 May, 2008)

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

A bit too subtle.

I really want to like this one, no actually I honestly want to love it, but it just doesn't last on me, and I place longevity as one of my top priorities when it comes to rating fragrances. Lanvin Vetiver and Burberry London are my two most often used workplace scents, and I wanted this one to be that after work fragrance that refreshes me for the rest of the evening. The opening accord is probably the best chilled citrus blast I have smelled in a long time, I also get a bit of a metallic aftertaste which I guess comes from the mint. Surprisingly, I do not detect the pepper or the lavender, to which I am naturally very sensitive, but then I thought not all lavenders are created equal. These early impressions should have given me a hint but I didn't waver and for about a week, I would put it on just as soon as I left work and by the time my commute was over (30 to 40 minutes later), I would step out of the car with nothing on, fragrantly speaking of course. After doing some more careful testing, I found out that there is no drydown at all on my skin, maybe the faintest hint of amber, but nothing of the vanilla or the wood. I think Lanvin missed the marketing ploy with Oxygene, because I think this is one of the most "airy" fragrances out there, and while it has a nice bottle and great set of topnotes it is practically insubstantial.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Forget the topnotes, this one is a sweet powerhouse that reeks (in a very nice way) of tobacco, leather and incense. Most importantly, these mid notes last for ages and are very cleverly enveloped in an aura of sweetness that girls of this day and age seem to adore. Any woman with a sweet-tooth who appreciates good spices will be all over you for as long as you can bear it. I agree with the majority here, that during summer this is not the ideal fragrance, but for some strange reason Michael Kors works wonders in the clubs, where at times it can get just as hot and humid.

Perry Ellis m by Perry Ellis

Sweet but quickly fading.
    Having read the great comments by some of the prominent reviewers here, I went out and bought the gift-set, including the aftershave and deodorant stick. Initially this fragrance is all it is advertised: sweet and unique with the anise coming through early and then quickly followed by the cinnamon. This early mixture is not groundbreaking, but it is well done and can be very enjoyable in a cool day... for about 20 minutes, because after that there is virtually nothing. I don't sense the supporting notes, and I certainly do not get the white musk (which usually lasts ages on me) or the vetiver (another typical basenote that my skin amplifies). In fact for the remainder of about an hour, I sense a weak vanilla-cinnamon swirl, which is pleasant but has not sillage and fades into nothingness after 90 minutes, thus completing its disappearing act. Oh yeah, and the deodorant, even when unused, smells like sweat mixed with cinnamon, so I never even put it on. Presently, I only own the aftershave, I gave the rest to a cousin of mine, he seems to like it, but then again he always over-applies.

Luckycharm27's avatar

Hermèssence Brin de Réglisse by Hermès

If you believe in heaven, this is the key....

Islandwriter's avatar

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I can't add much, other than to say it is wonderful. The initial punch is strong, and if you are patient, you will be rewarded with a nice scent all day long.

photofinish's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

An offbeat, rubber, grass and petroleum scent that possesses all the olfactory charms of a commercial automotive fuel treatment.

photofinish's avatar

JHL by Aramis

Thick, cloying, cinnamon laced alcoholic, that fails at every stage to achieve a masculine persona.

silverbullet's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I agree somewhat with Vibert on the licorice and cucumber, but I think it's the marine algae that's appealing to me. It's just OK.

Debbie R.'s avatar

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

This is one of the most vile fragrances ever created. Harsh, shrill and cheap-smelling. It's for someone pretending to have money. I would rather wear Etat Libre's Secretions Magnifique and gag through the blood and bilge notes because in the drydown, it would be at least (barely) tolerable. White Diamonds isn't tolerable at any point.

Bigsly's avatar

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I wore it for about two hours, but never experienced the florals and spices that Vibert did. Instead, I liked the powdery aspect of it, but the smell was like a sweet carbonated beverage or candy, and after a while it was irritating. I'll give it a neutral for those who think this kind of scent is exactly what they want. Since I washed it off after two hours, I won't comment on longevity. Sillage was decent but it's not a "sillage monster."

wjlamp's avatar

Greece Greece

Monsieur Musk by Dana

Simply superb.

Today, a long time friend of mine,perfume nutty case,told me,that is unfair to keep good things for me.

Oh, I forgot, it was my first splash of this elixir ever.

Not being the kind of selfish guy.I told him that I bought it or some measly 14 Euros
    and that it was a giant 240 ml bottle.
    I think he is going to order one soon.

One thing is for sure.I won't describe my opinion about the chemistry of this Musk on my skin.After all,it is different on me, and my type might be, one in a million(sic),so it is worthless to say this and that.
    Go out and find it .On the self of a mystic perfumery shop,in the chaos of a drugstore
    or in the bins of a closeout ,everything must go, boutique.Try it, and if it tickles your fancy buy it.

What if it is dirty cheap.Price does not equal value.
    What if Dana was about to set a $ 60 price tag to it?
    Hi End perfumery?
    Give me a break. No?

What

Noseworthy's avatar

Émeraude by Coty

A less expensive version of Guerlain's SHALIMAR. Old-fashioned and fun, but not to be taken too seriously.