Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Jon_Remy's avatar

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

Wonderful, wonderful. What a GREAT replacement for my Essenza di Zegna (which does not last at all). I find that Azzaro Now lasts all day. Finally, a fragrance worth purchasing. Most fragrances nowadays have gotten cheap with the percentage of essential oil in the fragrance itself. This is a wonderful scent, long-lasting, and you can actually feel it has more essential oil content when you spray it between your fingers and rub them together. This is an excellent product, with a one-of-a-kind scent, and it won't let you down. You can spray it on in the morning, and still smell it it during Happy Hour. It is not an overpowering or offensive fragrance, it just lasts! A great deal! Nice bottle too! PS-I didn't care for Now Women (too common).

manicboy's avatar

Black Pepper by Molton Brown

I reckon that BP is the only fragrance where the body wash outsells the EdT. And for good reason. The elements that make the body wash so good are here in the EdT but not much more. And that’s the problem. The body wash is a jolt of sharp black pepper and rolling ginger. Stimulating? Yes! Memorable 30 minutes after a shower? No. But back to the fragrance, yes, there’s black pepper and ginger which hold your attention for 30 minutes like the body wash. But after that, the boredom sets in. It doesn’t evolve like advertised. Coriander & cumin? Nope. Violet Leaf & Slovenian Oak Moss? Nope. Either these notes are so muted by the ginger & pepper or they are simply not there. There are much better frags out there of this lineage (Joop! Roccoco & Gucci PH come to mind). Save your money for these guys. And get the body wash already!

Stu's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

Smells pretty much the same as Amen for men - horrible - but much less expensive so if you for some reason like the smell of Angel buy this and go ahead and save money.

Stu's avatar

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

I've never cared for this after trying it on myself or smelling it on anyone else. If I can't enjoy it on me or anyone else there's no point in wearing it or purchasing it to me. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'd possibly lie and say I were wearing it if I had on Polo Double Black and someone asked what I had on and then I might say Safari.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Subtle, light, gently floral but with a backbeat to it that raises it above the ordinary. This is eminently wearable.

Interestingly, the opening notes remind me of a ski wax I used to use in the 1980s; lovely!

xdattax's avatar

Russian Leather by Demeter Fragrance Library

elegant, leathery, spicy, with a little hint of sweet (the tiniest bit).

a beautiful frag with quite a bit of staying power for a demeter.

give 'er a whirl if you like a leather scent with out smelling like a tack shop (not that that's a bad thing)

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I like Terre d'Hermes on paper, and I like the citrusy/peppery/woody concoction when I first apply it, but I find that the bracing freshness I first find so appealing really gets on my nerves when wearing it. It's oh so strong and oh so linear - might be a good choice to wake you up in the morning but you'd have to be slightly masochistic. It's "refreshing" like working out is "refreshing", or like that annoyingly cheerful and energetic friend... Some fresh scents cheer you up on a grumpy day - this one would just annoy you more if you weren't in the mood for it. But it might be that I don't particularly like grapefruit as a fragrance note, it has always struck me as unpleasantly shrill and synthetic.
    I've seen people rave about the "mineral" note in this one, but they must be the same people who are all over Eau des Merveilles, because I find the scents remarkably similar, like the men's and women's version of the same scent. Yes, they do share a sort of mineralic note that's quite unusual, but more than that they share the same aggressively artificial quality - so much so you can literally TASTE the perfume in the back of your throat. (Perhaps the mineral note and the assaulting perfuminess are really the same element in the scent.) That's what gets on my nerves and makes me slightly queasy with both of them.
    That said, I can definitely see the appeal of Terre d'Hermes (more so than with the slam-you-in-the-face-with-a-perfumed-piece-of-driftwood Eau des M., even though the quirkiness of the latter should appeal to me more). It's neither dull nor weird, it feels elegant rather than cheap, it's fresh without being sinus-assaultingly ozonic/aquatic, it has a pleasantly peppery wood note without being too rich and warm for casual everyday wear... If I smelt it on a strange man I'd probably think he was a gentleman with impeccable taste in fragrance (provided, of course, he didn't overapply this sillage beast!). I wouldn't want to snuggle up to him though, or even stay around him for very long. This is a scent you'd wear to impress (without seeming to try too hard), not to seduce. Might be suitable for office wear, especially brief and businesslike encounters. Might even be ok to the gym - ONE spritz MAXIMUM. Don't wear it to dinner though - I at least would lose my appetite if I had to "taste" this perfume mingled with food...

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

Bellodgia by Caron

Bellodgia EDT smells a lot like Après L'Ondée to me, but just a little sweeter and brighter. It's not strong, but has a good staying power, not like so many others that "disappear" on me, and I like its richness and warmth. It's new to me, so I'll say it has a good *potential* to be an everyday frag to me. Love it!

scentsitivity's avatar

V pour Homme by Valentino

The V must stand for vanilla here, as vanilla is the dominant note here. It starts with vanilla and citrus. The citrus fades and amber and woods emerge, but vanilla remains prominent. Quite sweet, and close to my tolerance limit for sweetness – but just below it. Sexy. I enjoy it.

Ala's avatar

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

I so WANTED to love Black Cashmere, but at the dry-down, the final notes overpowered me. It was a muted Tabu. Not good.

I loved the smokiness tho..darn it!!

Well I just got a sm btl of Theorema on ebay, and on me it smells just like Black Cashmere minus the offensive and loud notes at the final dry-down of Black Cashmere

I am a oriental, spicy lover. Hubby likes Obsession on me, but Cinnabar has been my signature scent since 1978.

Fendi, Theorema looks as tho it will kick Cinnabar to the back of the line for a bi...at least until I get to know it. So far...lovely. I'm pleased.

Ala's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Cheap bathroom deodorizer. ARG!

I waited, alternately gasping for air and heaving with nausea, hoping it would get better.
    The dry down was something out of Glade or Wizard!

Took hot bath immediately and scrubbed till it was gone.

P-U

Carl999's avatar

Mesmerize for Men by Avon

I wanted to love this, but it just gave me a headache. Upon re-sniffing 2 weeks later, I decided I did not like it at all. Too sweet at the beginning. Too fruity. Finishes up smelling exactly like ancient Egyptian enbalming preparations. I guess its the Myrrh, and the sweet note working together.

People have equated this with Obsession. They are wrong.

Enough said, cheerio!

runstile's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

There's something about this scent alright. At its first impression, it does remind me of my grandfather. However, this is the scent that all fakes were made to be. This is the original, natural, pure expression of dominant masculinity. The top notes of citrus and lavender are heavenly and addicting, while the base softens up and lasts almost like a Lutens, very un-Creed like in its longevity. I own two sample decants, and will have a bottle by next fall!

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Brut by Fabergé

The horror! The horror! Just say no. If it has good nostalgia-values for you, get a bottle to sniff before bed. PLEASE don't wear it anywhere in my country or continent, even.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Nice! Would not make me ravenous for a guy, but a very pleasant, not-quite-generic scent. And the drydown 12 hours later on my boyfriends skin was fabulous when I woke up this morning! So a thumbs up, but not an ecstatic one.

grvm's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

I've had Pi for a few months and it's definatly gotten alot of wear. I love the powerdy vanilla it dries down to and I just feel it's a very pleasent scent over all with decent longevity.

bluesoul's avatar

Puerto Rico Puerto Rico

Havana by Aramis

A sad truth in the fragrance world is that the public, by and large, has awful taste. Mainstream garbage like Acqua di Gio is regurgitated endlessly by the media, the marketing teams, and the public itself. What I’m getting at, eventually, is while AdG will probably be selling well into my twilight years, you can not find Aramis Havana in any retail store. Not in North America anyway, if you want it you’ll have to do a bit of traveling, to South Africa or one of the other handful of countries that still receive it. Or, you can pay a premium on eBay or one of the fragrance retail websites, upwards of $80 an ounce on average, which is higher than many niche label fragrances.

So when I was posed the offer to buy about 1.5 oz of the stuff for well below market price, I couldn’t really pass it up. Thank God I didn’t. Part of the reason I was initially interested in the stuff is it had a lot of notes I liked by themselves. Then again, it has a ton of notes, the most I’ve encountered in a fragrance. Havana features top notes of Coriander Seed, Anise, Birch Tar, Juniper Berry, Tangerine, Grapefruit, and Orange, middle notes of Bay Rum, Cumin, Jamaican Pimento Berry, Pepper, Jasmine, and Hyacinth, and all of that is sitting on a prominent woody base of Tobacco, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Myrhh, Labdanum, Oilbanum, Tonka bean, Vanilla, and some other assorted exotic ouds. So there’ll be pretty much something in there you’ll like.

If you’re spraying from an existing bottle, the sprayer has a sort of spicy, even pungent aroma, which should give you a fair indication as you prepare to wear it that this is going to be something well off the beaten path. The initial blast is almost entirely drowned out by a pronounced cumin note that evaporates in about 30 seconds to a minute, or at least takes a back seat to one of the most unique, riotous, magnificent dry-downs you’ll ever find in a fragrance. Notes jostle for supremacy, and if you have the chance to wear this without distractions you’ll find yourself engrossed in the play of the different elements; Havana doesn’t actually settle down for 2 or 3 hours, and during that time you’ll encounter the full spectrum of what Havana has to offer. What you’re left with at that settling point is a scent led by the tobacco and patchouli notes, with plenty of woods behind it (I don’t detect the cedar so much as I detect medium to heavier woods in general; I think the spices mask it a bit as I rather like cedar-based fragrances). Behind all that is a sparkling boozy accord which I’m pegging as the rum and pepper notes working together. In my initial review of Havana I compared it to a cross between Quorum and Chanel Platinum Egoiste, minus the jasmine and carnation notes. At this point I don’t believe that anymore, it’s a composition unique in it’s own right. It’s honestly a lot of stuff going on, and words don’t do this one justice.

Let me put it this way. I’m currently sitting at 19 different bottles. If I’m completely honest with myself, if I’m narrowing my wardrobe down to 3, it’s in there. If I’m narrowing it down to 2, it’s in there. If I’m narrowing 19 down to 1…Havana’s going to be the one I keep. I may rage and curse over the decision (who? me?) and thankfully I don’t see myself having to actually be forced to just have one fragrance, but the more I thought about it, the more I realize there’s really no contest. So many people are wearing the same thing, even stuff like Terre d’Hermes and (egads) A*Men is becoming popular in the mainstream. It’s a pretty safe bet, though, that I will be the only one in Paducah wearing Havana on any given day.

Unfortunately, finding it, as I indicated, is a pain in the butt. Even the usual suspects like The Perfumed Court don’t have it, instead carrying the slightly more common, slightly different Havana Reserva. Even that’s gonna run you $8 for 1mL, which is by my math $240 an ounce. Buying it in a half-ounce bottle on there will still run you $119. Don’t despair though, it is fairly common on eBay, and not one that’s subject to counterfeiting. You can also find it for sale on Basenotes at the rate of about 2 bottles a month. Maybe you’ll luck into one like I did.

If you see fragrance as anything more than a casual fling, you owe it to yourself to try this stuff.

Somerville Metro Man's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

This was amazing on me. From the moment this hit my skin it just took off. The sap notes of camphor and turpentine combine with a moss-hung fantasy forest of cypress, pine, and cedar. This is the most like being in a live forest scent of anything I have experienced thus far. I waited to write this review until I wore Kyoto again as I felt there was some similarity between the scents and there is. To call this Kyoto Extreme wouldn't be far off the mark but it would be underselling the construction of Hinoki. There is a transparency of top to base from the first moment this hits that is unique. The base is present right from the start but over the hours this lasted on my skin the base intensified and became more pronounced in a lovely way until I was just left with the woods scent.
    One caveat I think this is a scent that needs to be tested on the skin. I tested it on a strip six weeks before actually testing it on my wrist. On the strip the camphor note was too forward and almost medicine cabinet-like, it put me off. Once I put this on my skin that camphor note blended seamlessly with the rest to make a transcendent whole. I wasted six weeks before giving this one a chance, don't repeat my mistake.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

Every woman should invest in this beautifully transparent, yet sensual, fragrance. This is what a sexy, sophisticated, young woman should be wearing during the day. This and Annick Goutal's Songes are my two favorite scents to smell on a woman. Nuff said.

Hoos's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

A great bottle design doesn't make up for this mess.

M4M is trying to be too many things in a chemical factory kind of way. It actually smells like a chemical factory has exploded in the bathroom when applied.

It has no unifying note, no one note even comes across clearly, they all come across at once. There is neither accord nor artistry to this fragrance. It's like a Sex Pistols concert (when you're sober): screamingly loud, deafening to the nose, and irritating to the brain.

Alas, there's nothing less than one star, so that's what this gets.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

WOW!
    what a delight
    although i'm kinna new to the world of fragrance, I must admit that Olivia Giacobetti is a master at what she does from what I have experienced so far (dzing, thé pour un été, l'été en douce!!!!, premier figuier, etc.)
    This is what a preist's clothes must smell like when they get out of the dryer still impregnated with incense and good quality fabric softner.
    I just had to get myself a big bottle even if the juice itself is disapointingly weak!
    I'll just have to use some extra sprays...
    the first time I tried Pd'E i was feeling like the scent was terifyingly beautifuly soft, clean (could have beed dirty, would have loved it any way), delicat, super dry, ENVELOPING, defenitly unisex, so damn simple and easy to wear
    but every time i waer it I discover new facets
    like these delicate rose petals that sort of complete this white lily note
    and this dry muted cedar-santal that just blends so well with the soft incence-amber-musk thing going on
    also you have this obvious and pleasent (in my opinion) fabric softner note... white lilly? that may feel a little synthetic but that gives the wearer this soft-clean-enveloping aura
    make the fragrance wear well on clothes too
    well well... I wish I could put more than only one thub up for this religeous/laundry spring sunday in a bottle!

chaoskitty's avatar

Charlie Gold by Revlon

Lovely vanilla-y scent. Starts a bit floral, but goes very much vanilla on me quite quickly. Can be too sweet (I got my bottle donated from my mother whom it made feel ill), and is perhaps quite an early/pre-teen scent. Though Revlon seem to target all the Charlies at that age group.
    For the price though it is a really very decent scent.

chaoskitty's avatar

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this. I have to be feeling in a lively mood to carry it off though. I started wearing it a few years ago when living with my GBF who decided I was in need of scent therapy, and it worked. It is a perky fruity floral, and unlike most of the fruity florals filling the shelves at the moment it is citrus rather than sweet berries.
    As BettyBoop's review says, it is a contradictory scent. It starts really quite sharp with the grapefruit (reminds me of breakfast), then gets sweeter and quite cutesy, and then goes all 'grown up' again.
    I'm on my third bottle, but it does strike me as very young feeling so I'm not sure whether it'll continue to suit me enough to get to bottle 4!

boombutt's avatar

Tiramisu by Demeter Fragrance Library

smells just like the dessert but does have a strong burnt sugar smell at first spray. i use this to layer with Ralph Hot. i can hear the gasps of those reading this. yes i am that tacky!!! once this bottle is gone so is my tackiness for now. LOL i wont be buying it again. i did on a whim to prevent me from eating this dessert.

tanto's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Classy!! This "outshines" all citrus fragrances. It's in a class of its own. Never overwhelming and annoying. I dislike fragrances that "arrive" before the wearer (like some people I know). I think a guys fragrance should be noticeable only when you are standing a few feet away, not before you walk into the room! This is always subtle, pleasant, and fresh. You'll never tire of this one.

19 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 June, 2008)

Jon_Remy's avatar

Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

Not very long-lasting. Try Kouros Sport. It smells identical but has longer staying power. Don't pay a lot for Essenza di Zegna, when Kouros Sport is probably 1/2 the cost but TWICE the potency. That about the only difference, Kouros Sport lasts longer!

19 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2012)

twinpeaker's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This has such a strong "old-lady" connotation to me. I had prepared myself for a sexy animalic musc, but the sweetness was overpowering, and there was a sour opening note that persisted and was actually a bit nauseating (like incontinent old lady). Had to wash it off. Twice. I'm disappointed that I was persistent in bidding for my sample; should have let it go at $25.00....*sigh* Live and learn...

19 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 March, 2013)

JaimeB's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

A mélange of green-herbal, spicy, and floral notes on a chypre ground. This is a very fresh, green chypre, however; a substitution of tonka bean for the patchouli in the base could easily have made it a green fougère, and the lavender does lend it that sort of character. This comes only in eau de toilette formulation, which is rather appropriate to the freshness of the composition.

Sous le Vent is French for "leeward," as in the name of the Leeward Islands. The scent was supposedly composed by Jacques Guerlain for Josephine Baker in 1933, for her to apply after her dance performances, which were the rage of Paris at that time.

How can I describe it? Fresh, green, neither feminine nor masculine. I feel it would be suitable for day or night; it would probably be better in warm daytime weather than in cool. It is a bit light-handed to expect much development from it apart from moderate to warm temperature.

The scent starts out very fresh: dry citrus, herbal, very green. It becomes subtly floral, the jasmine not predominating (but boosting the floral side of the lavender a bit); the carnation contributes a clove-like spicy freshness, and then there's some more green. The iris comes on as slightly earthy, but never chases away the green theme; and the woody notes give it depth and a certain roundness. It has a decent sillage and longevity for an EdT, but doesn't project especially far. Hug someone, though, and they're sure to notice.

Overall, the fragrance is refreshing and energizing; I would call it generally subtle (by which I *don't* mean weak); the subtlety is in the art of the blend and in the balance.

If you can find it, it's well worth a sniff. ...Oh, and in spite of Josephine Baker, not just for women...

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Jovan Musk by Jovan

I think there's something wrong with my nose: all I get is a mild smell of perming lotion. Not dreadful though. (Oh dear - I've been smelling too many CDGs if I think perming lotion is an ok perfume.)

Aiona's avatar

Island Vibe by Avon

Melon notes. It's a fruity floral. My first impression on sniffing the nozzle is that it smells like a sweeter version of a soapy bubble-blower mixture. After about an hour on my arm, it smelled very much like Paris Hilton's Paris Hilton. Kind of a flowery, fruity, aquatic kind of smell.