Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Aiona's avatar

Island Vibe by Avon

Melon notes. It's a fruity floral. My first impression on sniffing the nozzle is that it smells like a sweeter version of a soapy bubble-blower mixture. After about an hour on my arm, it smelled very much like Paris Hilton's Paris Hilton. Kind of a flowery, fruity, aquatic kind of smell.

Fiorello's avatar

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

Lemon is a lemon masterpiece. It supplants my lemon throne from Monsieur Balmain albeit more expensively. Instead of a blast of lemon and middle note herbs, it's a very healthy dose of lemon plus florals on a subtle, deep green base. The base notes are present enough to ground the blend effectively but are by no means a major component of the pyramid. The vetiver note is greener/grassier than the traditional, root (heavier) version. The oakmoss is very restrained as well. The tenacity is quite formidable for a lemon dominant fragrance. Lemon exudes all the class of Acqua di Parma but is cleaner and ultimately more joy-bringing. A caveat, as with all lemon (citrus) dominant frags, overall duration is somewhat limited. If you are a lemon fan it should be the first one you try.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Wow, this is bad. As others mentioned, cinnamon waaaay overdone, with some baby powder like scent. It clashes, and it is not well executed at all. Very cool bottle though.

kharisma92's avatar

Guess Gold by Guess

Love it! Smells alot like Chanel Chance!

odysseusm's avatar

Bois d'Ombrie by Eau d'Italie

This is a boozy, leathery scent. It has old-school style: it is rich, smoky, powerful. There are lovely notes here. Normally I’m not a fan of leather scents but this has clubby charm. Likewise with the tobacco leaf. The incense notes are intriguing and dusky. Apply in small doses and wear in cool weather, this generates its own heat. Lovely dry-down.

bbobkc's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Over ripe oranges floating in dirty semi spoiling milk. No way for me. I just don't see the fascination with this stuff.

serenissimo's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

Yes, yes, everyone knows that it smells like an inaccurate mixture of MI and GIT by Creed. Some of us know this fact well enough to tell everything about this similarity without even testing any of these three... But let us test it one more time and let's look the other way. And voila! it has the most true smell of angelica stem. I'm talking about a freshly picked leaf with a stem.
    That's why, I think, Wall street such a fresh and even slightly overpowering fragrance: just smell angelica on a rainy day, pick up, smear and smell. And the feeling of some sterile freshness is quite similar to angelica greenery as well an uplifting effect. And some bitterness too. To me in spite of all the likeness they are not copies or anything like that: they are absolutely different from the very beginning.
    Their effect is similar, but look, if one takes tea to freshen up at noon or drinks coffee for the same purpose, you won't tell these drinks are the same...

bsn's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed is a very fresh, clean, and enjoyable fragrance. GIT is truly worthy of being called a modern classic. It is not hard to see why GIT remains so popular. GIT is very similar to Cool Water, but to my nose GIT is the better of the two products with velvety smooth ingredients that harmonize incredibly well together.

The only two downsides to this fragrance are it's high cost and low to medium longevity. On both cost and longevity Cool Water can claim a minor victory though GIT still out classes it.

spurious_demimondaine's avatar

Itasô Kansei Nenkan Jorô No Fûzoku by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

A lovely clean scent great for warm weather. It has a slightly aquatic drydown but it is very nice. It sorta reminds me of laundry soap or a bounce dry sheet. And when it's hellaciously hot and you are definitely a lil ripe it's great at making you feel more fresh and palatable to the rest of the world. I wouldn't call it ground breaking but for a slightly tart floral it is a great choice. It has a slightly powdery finish in the dry down, but it is really a lovely smell I love it. There is a hint of fruit in the beginning but certainly not a sugar shock variety. It's more of a true fresh fruit aroma. A hint of sweet but not a jolly rancher or sugary variety then the clean floral comes in to freshen and lighten it and it is a great everyday scent. If you want something that screams smell me I am special no it's not the scent. If you want to smell great and not make an exclamation point statement this is the best choice. I think it is great and certainly suggest it smells unique but doesn't scream for attention. A great everyday scent.

spurious_demimondaine's avatar

Jezebel by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

A very nice fruity floral the dry down is a soliflore rose scent. It starts off very clean and refreshing not and over sweet fruit note. It's very nice but the rose in the dry down is the definitely the main note... if you like a straight clean rose scent, I think a lil dirt or skank would add a great depth to the rose. It's not super complex but not completely linear. I recommend as a everyday wanna be clean and unoffensive scent.

Runaway's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

This one smell good but weak longetivity

jathanas's avatar

Sculpture Homme by Nikos

Sweet opening and a vanilla dry-down. I get compliments about this one. The top notes remind me of the smell of my grandmother's kitchen when she'd bake biscuits. Very romantic and warm, apply lightly and you could get away with wearing it at work.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

That day I was sitting on the bus on my way to work. Next to me was some young girl (apr. 18-19 years old). I was thoughtful. Suddenly I felt something on my shoulder. It was her chin. Her nose was quite close to my neck. She had a little smile on her face and it was so obvious that she was enjoying. Her nostrils were spread, her eyes were closed. It was no doubt; she liked my scent very much. She didn’t say anything and there was no need to. I must say this: She wasn’t aware of my existence, not even for a moment, and because of that the whole situation was even more likable.
    Well, sometimes we receive speechless compliments and they can be more convincing than “oh, my God, how good you smell!!!” compliments.
    By the way, I was wearing L’eau d’Issey that day.

20th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 13th June, 2008)

Mokkie's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one...if you want a head turner fragrance, this is it...people will turn their head wondering why you smell so bad...i have to admit...3 sprays for first trial...3 sprays the next day for 2nd trial and i dare not try it again...went straight to the bin..sorry, not for me.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

FCUK Him by French Connection

Ok ok
    well well
    this is what it is
    well worth 20$ I would say
    A freind of mine wears it sometimes. When I first smelled it on him, I asked him what soap did he use («strangly» reminds me of a soap i used to wash myself with) he then told me it fas FCUK...
    I've been trying a lot of things lately. Good, great, twisted, artistic masterpieces, etc.. but I think that i'm in love with the cheap smell indeed of FCUK him's sparkling clean fresh soapy detergent fabric softner smell.
    Yes the juice is extremly weak
    Yes it is generic... fresh n clean, nothing new
    but it just seem to work all pretty well
    if you love this stuff, you will have to reapply very often
    Meanwhile, it last for a good 5 hours if you use a liberal amount on the inside of your shirt
    enjoy

....or not

argus wishingwell's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

a really sporty fragrance. appropriate for casual wear. i think this fragrance is designed for gym centers!. fresh, nice rum and vanilla notes are there since the beginning. the odour is thick and intense by the means of feeling, but there's nothing cloying about it.. unfortunately sillage and longevity are below average for me. give a neutral for the longevity.

argus wishingwell's avatar

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

this fragrance has a mean quality. it starts with a velvety rose accord, and that lasts until the fragrance goes. longevity is mediocre and sillage is low.

i prefer to describe "now" as "soft floral aromatic" and recommend it for the younger ones, esp. between the age of 18-25. this slightly feminine fragrance seems to be put together very well but i did not like it all (my taste is different, don't count azzaro now a bad product).

Noraed's avatar

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

It is an Oriental Woody type of perfume.
    It is a soft, gentle, and very comfortable scent.
    At first you will get the green notes, which will gradually transform into a more sweet scent that goes well with the green notes.
    I think this perfume is wearable on women, because of its very sweet and soft scent. I’m a (female) and I use it.

It smells very much like an un famous perfume, which I adore called ‘Gazzaz 2000’ made by a local perfume shop.

Finally, someone made this perfume, which I have been waiting so long for it to get created.
    I found it by coincidence and after trying many perfumes. This perfume represents one of my favourite types of scent.

shiv's avatar

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

I'm a big fan of floral scents, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I find it too jarring and it gives me a headache. And it's not a unique smell. It smells a lot like what a mixture of drug store body sprays mixed together would. I do like the other scents by Ralph Lauren (eg. Romance, Style), but this one was quite disappointing.

shiv's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

One of the most beautiful scents I've ever experienced. It's deep, feminine and extremely sexy. I have to agree with "hester" that it is a very intimate smell. It's so earthy and dusky, but also so smooth. It is very similar to SJP's Lovely, but it's not as flirty and light... it's much more sensual. One of my friends had a whiff of it and described it as 'mesmerizing' - i totally agree with her. Definitely makes the top 3 of my all-time favourite scents!

20th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 03rd July, 2008)

boombutt's avatar

Max Mara by Max Mara

love this since just discovering it. i was delighted at first spray. this drys down to a creamy cinnamon custard on me. it is not overpowering it but does linger for those closeups with your special someone. my husband adores this fragrance on me.

boombutt's avatar

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

whe i first smelled Pink Sugar i didnt like it. months later i revisited and loved it. i am 42 and should be past the scents my 16 year old daughter wears...NOT!!! maybe this is my midlife crisis scent. it has the cotton candy smell with alittle strawberry vanilla and carmel swirled into the mix. smells so much better than the drugstore versions. it is not overpowering and seems to last. although i do reapply throughout the day. if u like the popular cotton candy fragrance this is the one u should buy.

katyas's avatar

Coach The Fragrance by Coach

I love this stuff. I was actually in doing a mystery shop when I noticed they had a fragrance and was given a sample. Man, if I'd had the money that day I would have bought a bottle, but as it was I went home that day with a couple samples. I'm still waiting for that bottle, as there are no Coach locations nearby, but you better believe I'll be buying a bottle as soon as I can. The scent is bright and clean with a sweet yet soft scent on the skin. The only possible complaint I have is that it doesn't last long enough. I still love it!!

Ambrosia Adams's avatar

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

At last!
    Someone has created a truly spicy herby citrus!
    I love citrus scents and this is by far the best I've found so far...it is orange rather than mandarin, combined with spicy accords and some distinct herbal notes (I think thyme).
    It is refreshing, zingy and not in the least sweet.
    It doesn't have much lasting power, but it has become my favourite everyday scent.

Funkifized's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

It is fresh and also masculine, unique smell, but not really long lasting, used the half of the bottle only in one week.

6minutes's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I find myself asking SAs what they have in stock that smells like BURR-bree London. They invariably come back and attempt to correct my pronunciation so that it sounds as though they're ordering from a west Texas juice bar. And then proceed to tell me they've yet to smell London.

I give. I just know this'll be discontinued and I'll be without a favourite.

Rochas and Pi, Nuits de NoHo and UDV ... Those are the ones that smell of London, each with its own peculiar take on the sweet, warm, vanilla formula. Love it. And sure, each predates London, but I smelled the Burberry first. And it's slightly better than all the others combined.

Actually, when one combines all the others, the resulting juice smells just horrible.

6minutes's avatar

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

What's not in here? Why, there's something for everyone if the triangle (a pyramid is 3-D) is to be believed. This being my very first fragrance review ever, I feel I should say something witty. Or at least pithy. You know, maybe mention which notes really strike me from each of the tiers.

I think I'll just leave it at this: This one smells grand. And I feel perfectly justified in passing such a judgment as I've tried 320+ fragrances over the past week alone. I do notice a powdery tonka quality that's quite unlike anything else, but you didn't hear it from me.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is an overall OK scent; I'm not ecstatic about it neither am I completely disappointed. It is a fairly fresh, citrussy and fairly spicy but not at all a heavy or pungent scent. With incense and musk in the base I would expect it to be more akin to an oriental but this falls short really. There have been worse recent releases, such as Ferragamo's 'F' Pour Homme which tries to be in the same vein. They market this as being somesort of definition for the Mediterranean - type scent. That it is not as I can name many that are more classic southern European / North African / Near Eastern in flavour; Loewe Para Hombre, Aramis Tuscany, AD Parma etc... However, this just beckons you as a daytime / work scent which places no demands on people's olfactory senses. It's a simple and quite vibrant fragrance that one can wear comfortably anytime.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2008)

JaimeB's avatar

No. 68 by Guerlain

Pretty mellow, with a kind of fresh, almost fougère kind of quality to it. A little fruity and lactonic at the start, it manages to be spicy and woody and complex in the latter phases. Overall, it seems at first that there's not a lot of development, nor a lot of sillage either. Perhaps this is due to sensory overload. All 68 notes are listed right on the label, but in French, of course!

If you really need to know, here's the Cologne du 68 Complete List, as listed on the label:

1. Bergamot 2. Green Tangerine 3. Lemon 4. Clementine 5. Cedrat 6. Orange 7. Blood Orange 8. Limette 9. Grapefruit Leaf 10. Basil 11. Fennel 12. Star Anise 13. Lavender 14. Bay Laurel 15. Cypress 16. Elemi 17. Thyme 18. Myrtle 19. Bigarade Petitgrain 20. Tangerine Petitgrain 21. Lemon Tree Petitgrain 22. Pear 23. Violet Leaf 24. Ivy Leaf 25. Gentian 26. Sap Note 27. Black Currant 28. Freesia 29. Lily of the Valley 30. Hazelnut Leaf 31. Cyclamen 32. Cardamom 33. Coriander 34. Black Pepper 35. Pink Peppercorn 36. Nutmeg 37. Ginger 38. Frangipani 39. Magnolia Flower 40. Orange Blossom 41. Peony 42. Rose 43. Carnation 44. Ylang-ylang 45. Lychee 46. Fig 47. Blackberry 48. Immortelle Flower 49. Mastic 50. Opoponax 51. Amber 52. Benzoin 53. Vanilla 54. Cistus Labdanum 55. Heliotrope 56. Iris 57. Tonka Bean 58. Sage 59. Musk 60. Patchouli 61. Agarwood 62. Cedar 63. Sandalwood 64. Vetiver 65. Botanical Musc 66. Praline Note 67. Myrrh 68. Lichen

The onrush of notes makes it seem like everything is on stage at once, but the eventual dissipation of the top notes reveals a much spicier scent supported by richer notes of woods, sap, mellow florals, and amber-tobacco accords. The first blast settles into a calmer mood, with a feeling of nonchalance that isn't quite lack of direction, but perhaps a willingness to let things come as they may. A lesson in detachment for the perfumista who wants to pigeonhole scents, this one is far to encyclopedic to permit such a reductionist approach. The only thing to do is to relax and enjoy the ride. Very pleasant on the whole, slightly muted, but quietly distinguished. Cologne du 68 is not straightforward and obvious, but cannot escape notice and appreciation for the attentive nose.

21st May, 2008

purplebird7's avatar

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

Very floral in an almost bathroom spray way. Lily, gardenia, lilac, all stereotyped, exaggerated versions of flowers. It holds nothing back, is naively straightforward, unsophisticated. Not bad, but not for me.

21st May, 2008