Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Yes, those 80s scents were loud, and the Chypres were no exception, being both loud and weird, but they had so much more character than many of today's offerings, especially the new "pink chypres." This has great notes of galbanum, carnation, hyacinth, and other spicy florals laid on a nice bed of heavy amber in the old-school way. Georgio amuses me.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

This perfumes says, "I'm sorry, I want to wear perfume, but I don't want to offend anyone, so can I wear a little, faint, apologetic fragrance like this?" It went on soft and a little powdery, then it thinned out and shrank into the background, like a faint, clean musk and weak white floral contraption, all the while trying to be non-threatening.

cK be by Calvin Klein

I smell mostly incense, or something that approximates it, which is a bit harsh and somewhat orangey, like olibanum. And it grows faint pretty soon. I liked CK One so much better.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

This is a timid chypre in the new-school style, which is to say, tone down the oakmoss, patchouli, and labdanum. (Lord, this is such a boring genre for me. I'm an old-school fan. Chypres use to have so much more character.) Juicy Couture wants to be a fruity chypre, but it cannot decide which fruit to be. And it wants to be popular, which means that it cannot go too far in any direction. So it ends smelling meek, like a carton of juice that somebody forgot in the refrigerator for too long and it is starting to turn to wine. How daring. I'll skip it. Pass the real stuff.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2008)

Joy by Jean Patou

On paper, Joy is an old-fashioned, slightly musty, indolic jasmine with an animalic undertone - not too promising but worth a try because of the legend... On my skin, it's horrible, horrible: stale, rottening white florals with sharp green compost and loads of aldehydes sprinkled over the decomposing heap to "freshen it up", which of course is doomed to fail since aldehydes aren't really very "fresh", only sharp/soapy/powdery/perfumey. It might be that another concentration is better, but I doubt I'll try it in any form on my skin again.

Roma by Laura Biagiotti

I could swear Roma had some Meditteranean herb among the topnotes - I recognize it from what you'd smell on the air on a Greek isle or something, yet I couldn't place it... I keep thinking maybe oreganon, but that's not quite it, it's grassier, citrusier, more bracing...? But I guess that hauntingly familiar yet in perfumery strikingly original herbal note is just an illusion created by the mint, blackcurrant leaf and bergamot together... Anyway, it sits on top on a very sweet and creamy base - the effect is like having a main course with green herbs and a vanilla pudding for dessert all mixed up on the same plate. Not entirely appealing. And after the herbal topnote is gone it's just that rather boring and generic creamy sweetness forever and a day.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

On paper, and for the first few minutes on skin, this smells extremely refreshing like freshly squeezed lemon juice. No, not pure juice, rather lemon water. No rind in sight. Briefly, I wanted to own it to bathe in it on hot days. Sadly, after those few minutes all the lemon freshness is gone and it smells vaguely and faintly like some kind of perfumed sanitary product...

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

is not "fresh" like modern citrusy/green/aquatic scents are fresh. It's "fresh" like an extremely watered down version of a classic green chypre - that is, not very fresh at all. The topnotes of citrus and cut grass are agreeable enough, but the development on my skin is in the direction of musty, powdery, stale, sour, sharp, anything but "fresh". This is like the evil twin of some great chypre of yesteryear, the pale, skinny, crooked, whiny evil twin, the Gollum of chypres. It smells like "old perfume" and flowers that didn't smell very good to begin with rottening in a vase. It gets a neutral rateness for classic style and originality and because it might work with someone else's skin chemistry than mine.

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

Well it does smell vaguely like peony. Vaguely. And very sharply perfumey. And also very much alike the non-currant bits of Grosellina. And also gone after a few minutes on the skin. Oh how I wish there was a true peony perfume, but I have yet to come across one!

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

At first I thought: vile! I love the scent of freshly ground coffee beans or freshly brewed coffee, but this is old stale coffee or possibly the old coffee beans they provide in perfume stores for you to refresh your nose between scents... It gets better, meaning it gets more like the original A Men - warm, sweet, earthy - but why should you need another A Men with the refreshing lavender topnotes replaced by stale coffee? It's also annoyingly strong and possibly headache-inducing - I just couldn't get it off my skin! It gets a neutral rating for the decent drydown, which is basically the drydown of A Men. The nauseating top deserves a thumbs down, but they say you shouldn't judge a scent by its topnotes...

Fiorello's avatar
    Fiorello

No. 89 by Floris

I can appreciate its English sensibilities overall but the nutmeg note is too off-putting for me to wear. Its strongest asset is the unfortunately, short-lived but wonderful, citrus/floral melange. The nutmeg/orris/sandalwood connection is prominent throughout the entire course.

The clearly evident, earthy-dry, floral orris note definitely conjures up images of some kind of institutional stuffiness. No. 89 seems more likely a purchase for a mature person.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Angeliques Sous La Pluie is one of the two scents (the other one is Bigarade Concentree) recommended and sent sample of to me from the Frédéric Malle website, based on the online questionnaire.
    It was a revelation to me at the time; since I was a complete newbie to perfume I had never encountered anything similar. It was very very light and seemed to disappear almost immediately; but as long as it lasted, it was very beautiful and intriguing. It was much more expensive than anything I had acquired until then and that stopped me from ordering a bottle at that time.

Last week, I ordered a new sample to see if it is still as wonderful as I remembered, and indeed it is! After smelling hundreds of other scents, it is still as original and beautiful to my nose as the first time. As other have mentioned, it smells like wet earth with green stuff and flowers - real flowers, none of that artificial "flower" smell so often encountered in perfumes.

My wife, now a bit tired of me putting my wrist under her nose and asking for comment and comparison any time I receive a new sample, was also very moved by the beauty of this. She claims that it smells much better than anything in my current wardrobe, including her previous favourite L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme.

I will order a full bottle as soon as my next pay-check arrives.

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

Fresh and nice enough, but not very original and a bit boring. It doesn't move me.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

I had high expectations for this, but I must admit I am a bit disappointed. My initial reaction is that it smells good, but quite a bit like coconut-flavoured cookies; and although I like eating cookies, I wouldn't want to smell like one.

sophywt's avatar
    sophywt
    China China

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Petite Cherie is fresh fruity. On me it smells like fizzy peach and pear soda drink, sweet, young, cheerful and fresh, no bitter or dry martini notes as lots people described at all. I can't say it's awful, and frankly, I quite like it.
    But the thing is, nobody would be happy to spend such a large mount of money for a fruit soda drink. And for a brand like Annick Goutal, people want more then a just "ok" juice, they expect more. So, for this point, Petite Cherie really disappoints me a little.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2008)

sophywt's avatar
    sophywt
    China China

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

A nice mix of tabaco, ginger and vetiver, smoky but fresh. I really like this one.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

There are over 100 fragrances in the Basenotes directory with the word ‘black’ in their name. But there is only one ‘double black’. What does black suggest? I would like to think birch tar, leather, crude oil, coffee, molasses, burnt toast, well anything that is very dark. And I would like to think ‘double black’ should be even more extreme. Perhaps it should be a thick black syrupy sludge. But Double Black is not that, and with the exception of coffee in the notes, it isn’t really black at all. The opening has a wonderful burst of mango with pepper. (While the pepper may suggest black, the mango is anything but black). This lasts all of 30 seconds. Coffee emerges and a general tropical fruity sweetness (as if the mango is blurred beyond its distinctive character), with nutmeg. At this point it becomes obnoxious to me: too sweet and too much contrast between the coffee and the sweetness. This lasts much too long and by the time it settles I really don’t want anything more to do with it. So I can’t recommend this one.

taliaseki's avatar
    taliaseki
    Turkey Turkey

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I live in a small city and after reading so much about it i had to buy a full bottle online. I waited and paid a lot to try it. And first try was a complete disappointance. The bergamot rose openning is same as a sweet heavy arabic cologne which have been populer among elder (i mean grand parents grand aunts etc.) when i was a child. It made me feel almost sick. At the third attemp i have been able to pass the first ten minutes of sweet nasty bergamot and take the first glimpses of oakmoss. The oakmost in it is really great. But i can get oakmoss inthe very first second off o big sniff then my nose is filled with that clover and spices crowd. No jasmin no peach. i think i will give up trying. It is a rich bold fragrance but too old and disturbing to me...

Mudassir's avatar
    Mudassir

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

Wild Hunt is very intoxicating! Imagine yourself in a dense forest with tall trees, pine, moss and fresh bitter leaves all around you soaked in sun. It is piny throughout, but the strength of pine is tamed by the presence of moss and something that smells like very aromatic leaves.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 June, 2008)

archaic's avatar
    archaic
    Malaysia Malaysia

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Initial burst of citrus only lasts for 1 minute. Then the smoky, woody with just a tiny hint of spice scent.......appears. Smells very masculine yet young. Longevity is not that great. Just around 4 hours. Sillage is very discreet and personal especially after 1 hour. I just wish the smoky woody scent would lasts forever.....

panzac's avatar
    panzac
    Switzerland Switzerland

Eau de Cologne à la Reine des Fleurs by Piver

Listed a scent for women, I would rather doubt that classification. As a man, I'm wearing it quite often, and most woment I know declare, that they would consider it unfeminine.
    It's spicy, no-nonsense, dry, but dries down to some very refined rose-tone. I find it refreshing, decent, much more complex than other 18th century colognes. I scent one could imagine on both Valmont and Merteuil ...

peter pan's avatar
    peter pan

Photo by Lagerfeld

too stiff and woody, mix this stuff with brut and youv'e got yourself a great scent

peevish_yolk's avatar
    peevish_yolk
    Serbia Serbia

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Escape for Men is a pretty aromatic and synthetic scent. I like its hyper fruity opening. Grapefruit and juniper are quite lovely. It’s hard for me to explain why I dislike its drydown. I like sandalwood usually but not in this case.
    At first, I wore Escape for Men exclusively during the hot days. I didn’t like it. Then I started to use it on the windy and cloudy days and it made a better impression on me.
    On some sites I found that Escape for Men is a marine scent… a-ha, certainly, and I am Krusty the clown.

dreams&drafts's avatar
    dreams&drafts

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Some say the best advice for life ahead that a child can be given is ‘be particular’. It is advice that can be applied to most situations, if you think about it, and had we followed it, the less than auspicious choices some of us made could have been avoided. Not to mention - as an example, I would not have the hundreds of bottles of perfume I now have. I would have stopped with L’Heure Bleue, in the parfum, and that would have been it, which might have been kind of a shame, come to think of it, but, oh my, I’d be so elegant! I did first sniff L’Heure Bleue when I was very young, and was mesmerized to find that my favorite time of day could be captured with a bottle of perfume. Then, evening meant quiet air, night-scented flowers, wood smoke, the first planets in the sky, and being safely home with my parents. My evenings now are very different but the wonderful thing is that a dab of L’Heure Bleue parfum still captures them. Within its familiar and comforting embrace is a metallic blue steel edge that meshes well with city lights, hard rock, and cool companions. It’s an encapsulation of the introspective moment at day’s end when we’re at peace with who we are and are willing to be swept into whatever passions the coming dark brings us.

Its blend of florals and warm notes with the coolness of the heliotrope and iris was genius. I think it’s an anytime, anywhere, anyone, fragrance; it’s a beautiful will-o’-wisp that survives in a world soaked in heavy artificial and cloying sweetness.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 June, 2008)

knightz's avatar
    knightz

Intimately Beckham Night Men by Beckham

This was a blind purchase, and I was pleasantly surprised. Givenchy Pi was the first thing that came to mind the first time I tried this one. Intimately Night is less sweet than Pi, and a little more spicy/woody. The mildly sweet spiciness is backed by a fresh-cut wood scent, with just a light touch of floral. The sweetness comes from the Patchouli in this, whereas in Pi the sweetness comes across as Vanilla. The light Patchouli mixes very well with the wood notes, giving it just enough sweetness to leave the focus on the spicy woods. When the woody top notes do subside, the spice lingers on. I don't get any citrus notes at all. My reference to Pi is not to suggest that I would substitute one for the other, the scents are very different, they just have a similar 'feel' to them. There is a time and place for both.

The sillage is on the 'close' side and the longevity is a little short for my liking... but I like this so much I want it to go on forever. It isn't really strong, or lasting, enough to get cloying, if used moderately.

Warm and comforting.

tanto's avatar
    tanto

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

Interesting fragrance. I used it for a few years. It was a nice clean, brisk scent for men. It reminded me very much of a more citrusy version of Drakkar Noir however, a bit more "lively". I preferred Bowling Green over Drakkar Noir without a doubt. Sorry it was discontinued.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2008)

bfeng91's avatar
    bfeng91

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

I personally love this scent. Refreshing, new, definitely stronger and much more attractive than all the aqua's I've tried. Right after the spray, it begins to smell delicious and completely transports me to a beach in Florida on a beautiful, warm, breezy day. I can definitely smell the lime, but it also smells fairly sweet, which I absolutely adore.

The longevity on this scent is surprisingly long (6-8 hours for me), way more than I expected from a summer scent. Way to go Tommy Bahama! =)

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

I find this to be a perfect hot-weather-loafing-on-a-weekend scent. Light and citrus fruity, but not too sweet, Mackie doesn't develop too much. It becomes somewhat more powdery and less sweet as it dries. It's in the category of masculine citrus/fruit scents (ie Dunhill Desire, Brook Brothers, MB Individuel) and is my favorite of this genre. Won't last long into the evening but not worse than average longevity. The bottle, which looks like a standard rectangle that has been bent into a prism, is very neat.

If you see an inexpensive bottle don't be scared to try (unless you require every cologne to be from an obscure high end house that only people on BN are aware of).

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

My .02 on the comparison to Polo.... Crest is very similar in structure and shares many notes with Polo, but is lighter with more focus on the green/woods notes whereas Polo emphasizes tobacco and leather. It may be that only those of us who truly appreciate Polo can make these distinctions.

It's not that hard to find small bottles or the mini gift sets on various websites at reasonable rates.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 June, 2008)

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

With each newly released designer fragrance the bar seems to get lower, with more and more generic aquatics and woody/ambers joining an already crowded marketplace. Even the best of most new designer releases (and niche as well) tend to be 'safe' and don't challenge the public with unique accords or novel ideas. It's actually quite sad. I am therefore at a loss as to why Prada doesn't receive far, far more accolades for its wonderful (and slightly misnamed) Amber Pour Homme (APH). Enjoy it or not, one only need glance over the wildly different interpretations of this fragrance contained in the 80+ reviews on this page to confirm that it is totally unique. I first tried APH when I was fairly new to fragrance, and back then I thought it was very different. Two plus years and thousands of samples later I've never smelled anything like it.

The first thing you must know is that this is NOT an amber fragrance - not even a vaguely. Complete and total misnomer. The second thing you must know is that if you aren't into soapy scents you must avoid this at all costs. On with the review....

While there's a *tad* of noticeable labdanum adding a sweetish tinge to the mid/basenotes, this is essentially a myrrhe fragrance. I'm not to familiar with the different types of myrrhe notes, but the myrrhe in APH comes off as very dry (which I've seen referred to as 'sweet myrrhe' but I can't confirm this). This isn't a myrrhe note like that in Mecheri's Myrrhe & Merveilles, which is much sweeter, but cloer to that of i Profumo di Firenze's 'Myrrha' soliflore. The initial blast of APH is this strong, resinous, and very soapy myrrhe accord. Because of these distinctly 'soapy' notes APH naturally has a very clean, sharp, barber-shop type aroma. I'm surprised anyone finds this feminine - perhaps unisex but I find the resinoussness to be distinctly masculine. The myrrhe forms the backbone of the fragrance, never fully receding. After the initial blast a subtle incense appears in the background, but as with most notes in this fragrance it is so well blended that it is never particularly distinct or moves to the front. I can certainly detect labdanum present itself as the midnotes move towards ths base, causing the composition to become slightly sweeter, though without losing its soapy, clean feeling. Overall there isn't a tremendous amount of development in APH - or perhaps the best way to describe it is that the development is very subtle - but it's ok for this scent. Perfect, in fact.

I'm not sure if this ended up being a hot seller or not, but I have no doubt that history will show it to be a classic. When people complain that designer fragrances are all weak, rushed, and overly-sweet affairs you can securely point to Prada Amber Pour Homme as the exception to that sterotype. Despite having plenty of wonderful fragrances to choose from I often reach for this.

Excellent.

The sillage of APH is fairly substantial - just a few sprays takes me all day plus into the evening. Even once you think it's faded, 8+ hours after application, a close whiff of the skin reveals that it's still there, scenting your skin with a subtle soapiness.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 August, 2009)