Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Purple Label by Ralph Lauren

I sought this out in stores for a while to try before buying, but I finally gave up and just bought the EDT and after shave balm. I'm glad I did because it's in my weekly rotation. PL is subtle and can be applied without offending, but it is still noticeable throughout the day (@ 6hrs). The blackberry is very distinct and mixes very well with the tobacco flower, which I find to be the most present middle note. PL becomes more woodsy as it dries, but it remains enjoyable throughout its application.

I *believe* PL may be discontinued.... no official notice but the fragrance is no longer available on Ralph Lauren's website. It certainly wouldn't be out of character for RL to discontinue its limited run fragrances. I'm going to pick up a couple extra bottles to keep on hand.

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

I agree with the reviews that point out Z's lack of development... it is what it is and that's what it is. However, I like what it is. It's not ADG, which I've never liked. There is something metallic about Z's impact on the nose whilst still wet, but once dry this fragrance exudes freshness. Z is not trying to be a deep, rich, spicy fragrance and shouldn't be compared to such scents. The after shave balm version is particularly kind to the skin.

I recently put a zap of the new Perry Ellis 18 on my skin and noticed that it is nearly a complete copy of Z.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

One cannot possibly overstate the difference between how Polo Black smells on paper, in magazine inserts, in shower gel, aftershave, etc. and how it smells on skin once dried. A lot of negative reaction seems to be to the 'iced mango' accord, which I personally love, that is similar to other fruity openings in other modern fragrances. Once dry, Black develops into a masculine, spicy scent that is both inviting and rich. As a lover of the original Polo, I find Black to be one of my favorite alternatives and go-to colognes when nothing else strikes my fancy.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Although I was initially quite enamored with Hypnose, time has not been favorable to my estimation of this scent. Hypnose is essentially an amber/lavender with hints of citrus and woody notes. It borders on gourmand at times, and is not in the slightest bit unpleasant. Unfortunately Hypnose suffers from profound dullness.

21st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

britzman's avatar

Bahrain Bahrain

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This is a wonderful scent doesn't smell sporty or fresh like many other over hyped frags out there, but it is sophisticated and pronounced. The initial notes resemble a more intense citrus similar to Abercrombie "Fierce", but the middle notes are what really distinguishes it from the rest. The compliment inducing woodsy and sensual aroma are sure to bring plenty of attention but don't expect it to last over 10 minutes. The final drydown is very pleasant as well but sadly almost undetectable. This is a terrific scent for any occasion, but it lasts for little over an hour.

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is one of my exciting blind buys but it turned out a bit disappointing since it bears a strong resemblance to that of Wings by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Anyway, it's a good cologne, fresh and invigorating, but of course, has been done before. No originality so here I give it a neutral rating.

monochromatism's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

It smells like air is the best thing I can come up with, which doesn't mean what it should.

It's like going outside in winter and breathing in really hard. Or it's almost like accidentally getting water up your nose in the pool. That's the, nose-feel of it. It's not snow, it's not water, it's not leaves, it's not wood on fire... I'm not sure what it is, but it's none of those things. If someone has a word for what I'm describing, by all means, help me out.

It should be noted that it smells exactly like band-aids in the first few minutes, which is sort of off-putting. That sweet adhesive smell disappears within 30 minutes to an hour, I think.

I like it. It's interesting; I'm just not sure what it is.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Nothing original indeed... Starts fresh and quickly turns to a generic sweet and fruity smell, a bit synthetic, similar to the ones found in Z Zegna and Cool water deep. It's not a bit powdery as the first neither so intense in its fruity notes as the second.
    All in all, It's a nice casual fragrance. Just too expensive for what it is.

Stu's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

I've only worn this for a few years but I'm glad a woman I worked with told me to try it. As with most people I agree the top notes start off strong but once it settles down it is absolutely wonderful and the drydown is absolutely one of the best around. I've had people, even other men tell me they don't like wearing fragrances but have asked what I am wearing because they love the smell of this. This was after 2 or 3 hours of my having the fragrance on, not at the beginning though. I will wear this continually for it is one of my favorites and is my favorite by this fragrance house.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Soleil de Capri by Montale

To me this is a cross between a citrus-floral and a fruity gourmand. It does remind of Wrigley's Juicy fruit chewing gum, but there's also a strong note of prepackaged pina colada there, which is what others may be smelling as suntan lotion. I think the green-herbal, very slightly spicy element is nicely integrated, lurking beneath it all. It's not the kind of perfume I'm really into (this bottle came as a freebie), but I think it's pretty well made and conveys a sense of leisure in the sun, dressed in a nice white suit, panama hat and all.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Dunhill London by Dunhill

Dunhill London, like the other recent releases from this formerly reputable house, is crap. It's the same tired old cheap synthetic spiel, the ever-present calone and dihydromercenol used with no sense of inspiration whatsoever. An insult to London, to what dunhill used to be, to the English rose this supposedly embodies. It smells pretty much like your generic, 1.99 drugstore showergel. This is the kind of junk that has given "designer fragrances" the reputation they currently enjoy, at least in my book. My advice: stick with Burberry Brit. That's a designer fragrance which managed to capture the English spirit while modernizing it, turning a profit, surely, but without abandoning any and all standards of quality and originality. I will refrain from even mentioning the grand old English masculine rose fragrances in the same breath as this garbage.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Équipage by Hermès

Equipage smells expensive. Yup, that's pretty much it. Classy, classic, perfumey, slightly leathery like, say, Piver's Cuir de russie is leathery - in a dry, sharp, sophisticated way that says "gentleman", certainly not in an animalic, sweaty or sexy way! It has a chypre vibe (sort of sour/musty green in a way I've learnt to appreciate) which makes it feel rather old-fashioned, but it's lighter, cooler, more transparent, more citrusy than most chypres, so say a chypre/fougere hybrid perhaps? I don't exactly enjoy it. It's not a scent to enjoy - it's a scent to appreciate. A scent for well-groomed elderly businessmen - who of course apply it in moderation and don't bathe in it like the Axe-generation. Might remind me of Parfums de Nicolai's Vie de chateau, but it was a long long time ago I smelled that scent...

Givenchy III by Givenchy

I was sure I'd like this one a lot more just because of the fact it's a chypre, but I'm disappointed. My vintage mini smells rather thin. It's nice, but not complex enough. I prefer Chanel 19 and Nicki de Saint Phalle, they are actually among my favorite perfumes. Givenchy III is too "official", a little boring scent. I'll give it a neutral.

Fleur D'Interdit by Givenchy

Resembles L’Eau D’Issey or one of it's editions. This one is more flowery and less musky. I usually don't use very flowery frags, I like more extreme things, but Fleur D'Interdit *sounds* very wearable and pleasant to me. I'll probably find me a bottle :)

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Lipstick Rose smells exactly like Lancome lipstick I ones had. I liked the top note because of mere nostalgia, but hoped there was something more to it. But there was no development at all, it just remained Lancome lipstick till drydown. Ok, I appreciate humor, so I'll give it a neutral.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Extremely synthetic smelling. The top notes smell exactly like my new summer flip-flops - rubbery- plastic-y. Then it warms up and sweetens a bit. The middle notes rather pleasant, less synthetic, and the dry down is green, to my nose. It's interesting frag, but does me nothing emotionally, not "moving". I won't be able to wear not this one nor Lipstick Rose - another very synthetically smelling perfume of Malle. I'd say they are both for mannequins - why not? Plastic smell for plastic girl. I prefer something more naturally smelling.

scentsitivity's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

A synthetic green scent, not really offensive, but far from compelling. The mintiness stood out from other fragrances of this type, but Hugo didn’t really appeal to me.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

For what "The Unicorn Spell" lacks in casual wearability, it makes up for in establishing a mystical ambience. This fragrance completely carries it's mythical mantle and is cooly distant, but not disturbing."The Unicorn Spell" smells of ancient ideals of honor and fundamental goodness. This is the "Joan of Arc" of fragrance or something an Elvin princess would wear. This is what I'd imagine the mythological goddess Athena would smell of. For mortals, through iris-grey haze or misty mineral water, you face the unicorn and accept your fairy tale task or eternal fate; it was already written in the stars. There is a nice usage of violet and iris in this potion--two notes that often veer dangerously toward sugar-syrypy sweetness--and a subtle wetness that makes me think of full-moon nights in dewy forests. 'The Unicorn Spell" is a gracefully charming fragrance but as such, can become an exhausting aura to carry off day-in and day-out. I think I'll save this scent for days when I want to be a more philosophically contemplative and poised to fight battles of legendary ideals.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

Couldn't help it; my first impression of "L'Antimatiere" was that it reeked of "The Emperor's New Clothes". "Is this a modern art statement or creative joke?" I thought. I did, however, give it a fresh chance at a later time, leading to a few surprises. First impression "very fine vodka, perhaps even a hint of that french monastic liquor, 'Chartreuse', with it's subtle herbal-ness". As it dried down, I felt a serious sense of deja-vu; it reminded me much of "Egyptian Goddess" (a "Temple essence" brand oil) albeit, in hyper-diluted form. Although I've read about vetiver elements throughout it, I sensed more of the open, mineral-seeming warmth of spikenard or opponax. Perhaps even a dash of young sandlewood. Overall, "L'Antimatiere" is an ambitious experiment that might not be appreciated by most testers; however, it is charmingly subtle and pleasant, and radiates a weird kind of sunny warmth that reminds me of of high-noon sun beating on stone steps, or heated saltstone lamps. This is truly for those that want a total meld-with-skin, subliminally atmospheric scent. I personally prefer a louder scent "story".

jathanas's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I can now see the uniqueness of this juice.

The strong sweet opening, the gourmand accords, and the dry-down that lasts all day.

Heaven in a bottle. After a year of delving into niche releases I've come full circle and I can really appreciate the magic here, frikkin' awesome!

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 15 July, 2009)

Grass by Gap

I wish I had purchased these Gap frags. I always spritzed them on...grass, om, and the rest of the discontinueds when I went to The Gap...they were good but I always just meant to buy one and never did, they were slightly strange and interesting.

Index Tobacco Caramel by Fresh

yuk. thankfully this was a gift so I didn't have pay to smell this synthetic headache inducing....stuff. Tried to pass it along--no one wants it.

The Dreamer by Versace

The dreamer is wonderful. If you like le Male and wear it well, the Dreamer should work for you also. Beware the strong gin & tonic tarragon topnotes, but the middle and base are wonderful wonderful wonderful. a little is enough

GapBody Washed Cotton by Gap

washed cotton smells clean fresh and lives up to its name. Perfect if that's what you're looking for. Smells good.

kikiflora's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

Cabotine Bleu by Grès

It's watery and clean scent. But it is not impressive to me.

kikiflora's avatar

Taiwan Taiwan

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It's a fascinating scent to me. The top note is fresh; the heart note is a tender and beautiful floral scent. It is fit for being wearing in evening time.

Zut's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy is my new winter fragrance. I find it warm, spicy and extremely sensuous. I love it so much I wear it to bed! At last, an edt that has a reasonable staying power. I spray it early in the morning and a subtle aura is still noticeable 10 or 12 hours later. My friends and co-workers all love it too.

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2008)

SirSlarty's avatar

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Reminds me of the way varnish and some kind of Minwax stain smells after a few hours. Not as terrible as you'd imagine, as the scent is good at first but it gets like a watery fruit towards the end. This all happens in about 10 minutes.

myk's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

i love it, for some reason it seems like an "oriental" scent to me, images of samurai style scenery comes to mind for some reason.. Fresh scent, ive had females drool over it plenty of times. These people are saying unoriginal and boring but they are seasoned perfume critics, the cute girl at the bar will think its plenty original, trust me.

asalah's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Jil Sander Man Pure (original) by Jil Sander

Hello, this is my very first review in Basenotes.Actually i adore Jil Sander's both Feeling Man and ManPure. Both unfortunately are discontinued but i managed to get 2 bottles of man pure 125ml each. My disappointment comes from man pure does not have any staying power at all; it lasts almost one hour then no trace.