Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Noraed's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Horrible scent and very disappointing perfume.
    It is an Oriental Fougere type of perfume.
    It will smell good at first, but soon you will notice the stinky smelling scent, which made it awful.

I’m gona have to support Leifer’s review, it is a disgusting scent (sorry), but I just can’t stop noticing the dirty scent in it, without it, the perfume wouldn’t have been so bad.
    The bottle design is not good either.

I usually like most perfumes, but this has (by far) one of the worst smells I ever smelled in a perfume.

Yatagan by Caron

In all fairness, Yatagan gets points for not tilting the smell-o-wheel too far toward the citrus fruits, iris flowers and potpourri spices imbuing the majority of its allegedly masculine co-horts. I can appreciate a fragrance that doesn't attempt to smother me in hot-house gardens, grapefruit juice and sandalwood, but dark, dirty, sweaty, smoky or scary, this is not. Just another classic masculine that a woman can easily wear. Ho-hum.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Tar by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garcons Tar comes out of the bottle like the idea of oil-slicked, gasoline-soaked asphalt on a blazing summer day. This is exactly the fragrance you wear to an ex-boyfriend's wedding, or to the In-Laws' house at Christmas. Dark, filthy gruel for the soul. Is to Chanel No. 5 what industrial-strength triple selective herbicide is to your unborn children. Too bad they don't sell this stuff by the gallon, though, as that first heady blast of oil and asphalt disappears in the rear view mirror far too quickly. Oddly sweet and tame at the finish.

Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Warm Sand by Matthew Williamson

A light, smooth sandalwood is predominant, with a high floral note strategically placed far enough back that it doesn't overwhelm the composition. There's nothing groundbreaking or earthshattering about Warm Sand, but it's soft, pleasant and easy to wear, a genuine accomplishment on its own terms. It also has the added plus of being an incense fragrance that's light enough for consistent summer use.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Silver Factory opens with a brief tin-can twang, perhaps in homage to Warhol's Soup Can success, after which it veers smoothly into incense/patchouli territory, powder-puff clutched firmly in hand, seeming for all the world like Marie Antoinette slumming it with a bunch of starving artists in Brooklyn -- a little hippie-dippie, a lot of flower-power pretty. If you're into sandalwood/incense fragrances with some cool florals tossed into the mix, this would be near impossible for you to dislike.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

This is a Comme des Garcons patchouli, so it's going to hit you over the head just like everything else Comme des Garcons produces. I'm not certain I've ever smelled a CdG that wasn't singularly insistent in its own way. That said, I love this patchouli. It's richly layered, smooth, warm and a little bit sweet -- and it lasts all day! There's not a bit of the old hippie-dippie quality here, just blatant pandering to the upmarket crowd, and that's not a bad thing. I tried it once and ordered a bottle the next day. I had to have it.

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 July, 2008)

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

I'm going to be the odd man out here and say that, to me, Hinoki is not soothing, satisfying, transcendent or ethereal, but instead smells like some juvenile delinquent kicked over a gallon of paint-thinner in the Zen garden. Turpentine? Camphor? No thanks. Comme des Garcons often has a terrific sense of humor in the creation of fragrances (the Synthetic Series is fantastic), but this just smells like a cruel joke, and I could not scrub it off fast enough. Do not inflict this toxic concoction upon the ones you love.

smeninternational's avatar

Romania Romania

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

smells verry well but a little bit artificial..chemical...

dreams&drafts's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

You know that taste when you stick that piece of candy that’s been rolling around in your handbag for months and you realize too late that it’s been moping up spilt perfume all the while? This is it. I don’t care how popular gourmand fragrances are, there’s no excuse to combine a caramel sundae with indolic jasmine perfume. This doesn’t even smell like caramel made from butter and sugar, it’s the bottled stuff with hydrogenated oils and high glucose syrup. I don’t know why that should further bother me when it’s obvious Miss Dior Cherie and I aren’t going anywhere together anyway, but it does. This is the least appealing combination of notes I can imagine – there is some fruit in there as well - and as to why it usurped the Miss Dior name when Miss Dior, a leather chypre with a slender figure, wouldn’t be caught dead scarfing down fake food, I have no idea. This could have been called Junk Food Addict, perhaps. The packaging is pretty enough to trick you into believing there’s something good inside.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This probably generates more interest from both men and women than any other frags I use, except perhaps Vintage Tabarome

Everyone wants to know what it is as it seems surprisingly underused

one of the few frags which generates interest from perfect strangers ( amixed blessing perhaps??)

I get lovely longlasting musky, tobacco vanilla drydown which just goes on and on and on...without sickliness

recommended highly

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Like it but very short life on me..can anyone find me a long lasting citrus scent ( same applies to eau d'orange verte and eau d' hadrian too)

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

Lovely stuff. Fresh and light but great approachability throughout its long life on me

recommend for hot office and day time wear

shiv's avatar

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

One of the most common perfumes, as almost every girl wore it back in high school. Definitely marketed for teenage girls! Apart from being a slightly nauseating scent that faintly resembles antiseptic solution... there is no depth in this perfume and is plain BORING!!!

fannylovescowbell's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I still remember the first time I smelled Fahrenheit. I followed the scent through the store and immediately bought the largest bottle they had. I know it is not considered a unisex scent, but I wore it and loved it. It is sexy and sensual.

Rush for Men by Gucci

As with other Gucci offerings, Rush is a fairly unique entity.... there are some similarities with Azzaro Visit, but I find Rush much more wearable.

Basically Rush is a light woods fragrance, balanced with slight powder and very light floral/lavender. It's essentially linear. The woodsy notes feel slightly burnt, like smelling a chimney fire from a couple blocks away.

The white 8-track cassette box is neat - nothing groundbreaking - but I don't find it as unbearable as others.

Now that Rush is discontinued some retailers are jacking up the price, which is ludicrous given that they probably have plenty of stock. Spend a little time researching and you'll find it for suggested retail....

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 July, 2008)

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

I too am surprised by the negative reviews. My only complaint about Intuition is that the middle notes are similar to other scents out there.... I just tried YSL L'Homme and was astounded at the similarities.

But that's my only complaint. The short, sweet top notes quickly give rise to a long-lasting strong middle layer that is sensual and warm. Without looking at the listed notes, I'd personally say that I get a strong scent of cedar and woods that lasts and lasts and lasts. I'm smelling the base notes and fade out on my arm now, and it becomes a little sweeter and ambery.

Of my many scents this is my girlfriend's favorite for me to wear.

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2008)

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I know it's unpopular to admit to liking LB, but you can throw my hat in the ring. Clearly everyone is disappointed that LB wasn't something else at thus review what it isn't as opposed to what it is.

The strong citrus opening quickly melds into a very peppery accord. I would've hoped the topnotes lasted longer into the heart. While LB might be similar in structure to other fragrances out there, it does it better than most.

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2008)

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

i used this for sometime and i like it but i got used to the smell of sunflower that i dont appreciate it anymore.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

I am plannign to buy one, actually

Reaction Women by Kenneth Cole

I am using this perfume not everyday. It gets too string when you use it all the time.

Brit Sheer by Burberry

I just love the floral, some what lively scent of sheer brit.

Escada Moon Sparkle by Escada

I think I made a mistake in buying this perfume. The smell is so artificial and tricky. It has a sweet scent that diminishes after a long time you wear it and what retains is an ugly artificial smell. ewww.

Aznavour's avatar

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

I found this quite unlike most perfumes I've experienced. It has a wonderful "oriental" feel that isn't a literal, watery, Japanese paper-cranes-and-white-tea type of "oriental" -- it goes a bit further, a bit South East Asian, with a wonderful jungle-y (ha) feeling: that smell of depth and vegetation and humidity. I'm originally *from* South East Asia so I found this very compelling.

I think this is a great evening perfume; a bit too heady for daytime/office wear. It's distinctive and VERY long-lasting -- a little goes a long way!

miner's avatar

France France

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Extremely sweet, smells like chocolate, stays in clothes for days afterwards. Nice for winter, quite disgusting during summer time and wram temperatures.

miner's avatar

France France

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

smells very much like flowers, lasts forever on both skin and clothes. however, at the same time, this is the most annoying smells I have so far tried. First, this is NOT a mens parfume, it is very much alike a parfume worn by old ladies, don't know which one that is, but it is very very similar. Not for man, and also not a womans smell I find attractive at all. Check this out before buying it!!

nonobadkitty's avatar

Ambra di Venezia by Montgomery Taylor

I heard about this fragrance because it's one Broadway star Bernadette Peters wears/wore, so I had to try it. I find it's a very sweet smelling fragrance, almost annoyingly so, but after awhile it smells REALLY good. It's too strong and sweet for daily wear though, but for a special night out, especially when it's a warm and sultry night, it's great.

LoisF's avatar

Gardenia Musk #4 by Trish McEvoy

This is the best gardenia fragrance I have been able to find this far. It does not have that annoying "plastic" fragrance, but it is very soft and clean smelling. love it.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Knize Ten by Knize

Creed's Royal English Leather will always remain the quintessential Anglo-aristocratic perfume for me. It's quality-cum-simplicity speaks of unquestioned confidence in one's own status, horse-drawn carriages and fox hunts, a world where everything is in and everyone knows their place. Enter Knize Ten, the fragrance of modernity's gentleman. There's the powdery-floral refinement of yore here, mirroring the ties and tails tailored at the number one men's fashion address in Vienna. But there's also the pumping motor of a Brescia Type 23, the syncopation of the Jazz tunes, the complexity of modernism, Ulysses, Picasso, Dada, quantum theory, the new chemistry and all this makes Knize Ten the modernist equivalent to the pared down Creed - brasher, louder, more complex. If REL exudes the clarity and calm of a classicist landscape, Knize is like a Braque unfolding the dazzling complexity of space and time on its olfactory canvas, yet creating aesthetic coherence in the process. What an irony to call this an "antiquated" scent. It's high modernism in perfection. One gentlemanly rule remains essential, though: apply with a light hand.

22 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2012)

Accenti by Gucci

Beautiful and very potent: The opening accord is an interesting and rather abstract fruity green, intensified by aldehydes. It is appealing but, as I think about it, this accord is interesting because of its smooth elegant - but - neutral richness rather than presenting some kind of brightly compelling note or steamy ambiance. With the heart notes, the rose, jasmine, and lily of the valley come on stronger in an excellent, classy floral / fruit. Again, the accord is not dramatic; it is simply neutrally rich and full. The rose and jasmine are very important elements in the heart notes, and the fruit do not come through very strongly for me. I don’t get very much peach or clove, but I get a healthy raspberry and sandalwood, and I love this stage between the heart notes and the base notes. The base is the best of the three levels: It is smooth and woody (sandalwood, patchouli, and vetiver) without being too masculine. The use of vanilla is exactly right, and you won’t hear me say that too often about vanilla. The vanilla continues the polished fineness of the top and middle. This is not an exciting fragrance but it’s a good, solid performer near elegant but comfortably adaptable for casual use... but just remember, it is potent.

23 May, 2008

Patchouli by Santa Maria Novella

Whoa! SMN isn’t fooling around with this one, are they? This is a potent, thick, earthy patchouli that aims right for the jugular. Harsh and bitter is right! It has a robust camphorous edge to it. It’s dry and linear, too. In spite of the fact that I usually do not like the close-to-pure patchouli scents. I like this, but at the same time, I find it a difficult fragrance to wear: It broadcasts a dominant accord of disinfectant or creosote. About the only notes I get out of Patchouli are patchouli and the camphorous / creosote note. Certainly there is little or no amber or other mitigator to ease the olfactory aggression. I must assert that I very much like this fragrance – probably as much as or more than most patchouli scents I’ve tried. I’m also pretty sure I’d be quite hesitant to wear this out of the house... err... well, maybe someday... (Edit of 23 May 2008 review.)

23 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)