Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

I love love the smell of amber after visiting Marrakech and I was happy to find a perfume that comes very close to the amber I smelled there. It makes me think of my time there and it's warm, very sexy but not overwhelming like some fragrances can be that have Amber has a basenote and you have to wait till the perfume get's there.

This allows you to go straight to the note you love and it stays, plus the bottle is small so you can buy loads and carry them around with you. Did I mention buying loads?

D'Humeur Jalouse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Masculine scent, it smells of a fresh clean just shaven man who washed with some nice green soap. Very clean scent good for during the day, I can't stop sniffing it on my wrist and it has something of a spicey touch to it too. I'd say it fresh and clean but there is something more going on there than you'd expect on the first glance, something that would make you wonder about whoever is wearing this. But definitly for a man.

D'Humeur a Rien by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Overwhelming, strong, head ache inducing heavy spiced incense. This is not a walk in a french cathedral this is stepping into a smokey room and being assaulted by spiced incense. Maybe incense scents are not my thing, but this is powerful, very powerful. Wear with care, it might do very well in the right environment but you couldn't spray this on any old day.

D'Humeur Reveuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is magic, it doesn't smell like a perfume and that is why you cannot stop smelling yourself if you wear it. It is so against all that is widely available and it doesn't smell like the now becoming more popular Launderette scents either. I have no idea how they captured this smell and that is why it is magic and so different but very pleasant and nice. This won't assault people, nor offend them because it doesn't smell like you are wearing perfume, you would just smell nice.

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

The opening notes are primarily pine with a touch of the old pinesole cleanser.

There are touches of Lavender and thyme which proceed into the middle notes.

Quite quickly it dries down to a much more subtle scent that hugs the skin.

Not really exciting but comfortable.

Yatagan is the best,in my book, for pine.

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

I bought this one for the box and the bottle. Having said that,I found the balance between the Cardamom and the other notes pleasing but not overpowering.

Not a favorite of mine,but a nice change of pace for those places where subtlety is important.

Antartic (original) by Yves Rocher

The grapefruit and Lime emerge as top notes,then the amber and finally the Sandalwood base.

I like this scent and don't consider it cheap.

It has staying power without being overpowering.

Oh,by the way ,it's spelled Antartic not AntarCtic,so it doesn,t come up in the database search.

Though discontinued,you may still obtain it through diligent searching.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

The top is Spark like with the Lavender and cinnamon predominant.

The pepper then leads us into a warm bodied Mimosa.

Five minutes into the scent it starts to fade a bit and eventually you are left with a rich mix of sweet,spicy and woody with touches of tobacco.

With its multi layered approach it is definitely not one dimensional.

scentsitivity's avatar

Zen (new) by Shiseido

I was surprised to find no one else has reviewed the most recent incarnation of Zen. Before getting to the fragrance, I would note the hype from Shiseido’s USA website (link: http://www.sca.shiseido.com/catalog/index.cfm?brand=15), which tells us that it is “scientifically created to produce calming brain wave patterns that occur during Zen meditation” and categorizes it as a “Floral Spiritual Woody” (one of the craziest classifications I have ever heard of). I would like to see test data on the brain wave patterns. For myself, I can say that I felt a greater than typical level of anxiety while testing Zen, and no, I do not blame Zen for it! I do find this type of marketing to be a turn off.

To the fragrance itself, it boasts ingredients including “water hyacinth, gentian, Eastern moss, bamboo, violet, iris and Asian Kyara wood,” doubtless to convey its oriental roots. Instead of thinking of it as a “floral spiritual woody”, I would characterize it as a “light floral woody”, very feminine and pleasant. If you like light floral scents, Zen may work for you. I think it is a decent fragrance for a lady.

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Simply horrible. If you want to smell like a makeup bag, then i'ts perfect for you! Not my case, thank you.

Mudassir's avatar

Bois de Santal by Keiko Mecheri

Beware of the name. I was fortunate enough of known this isn't really about Sandalwood before I tried it. Had I not known tha fact, I would have been utterly disappointed as I would have been expecting it to be a rendition of Sandalwood. This is a big mess up on Keiko Mecheri's part. This is a light floral with a not too musky and woody base. I do smell a bit of amber in there as well. A subtle floral for men that is perfect for summer.

Mudassir's avatar

Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri

Keiko Mecheri is one of the most under-rated niche houses IMO. That being said, you might want to look somewhere else if you are in search of a strikingly bold Osmanthus prominent scent. Keiko Mecheri Osmanthus doesn't have much going on, and thats what makes it beautiful. This is quite a bit subtle and creamy simple yet elegant floral, and thats what I like about it. I have always found a floral with a lot of complexity too hard to wear, perhaps because any floral that isn't simple enough would get into the feminine territory rather quickly. For a man, this is one of the best florals around. For a woman, it might be too bleh in general, but could serve its purpose when you are in the mood of appreciating simpler things in life.

distortech's avatar

Santa Fe for Men by Aladdin Fragrances

I can not believe that I have NEVER tried this before. However, upon stumbling upon a 1.7 ounce bottle for 2 bucks, I just had to buy it. Long story short, I like it, ALOT. The sandalwood drydown is very good, and I agree it smells an awful lot like Third Man, just cheaper. Good stuff!

rodent's avatar

France France

Happy for Men by Clinique

The most interesting thing about Happy is its branding -- it's remarkable how many people have been convinced into actually feeling happy simply from spraying on what is essentially a remarkably simple sweet citrus juice. Maybe its the fundamentally unchallenging nature of Happy that makes people happy? Or is it the fact that it basically smells like frothy orange-flavored soda? Whatever - at a minimum, Happy is a milestone in perfume branding! The unfortunate thing about the juice itself is that its user-friendly, sweet citrusiness puts it dangerously close to being a cheap drugstore perfume worn by excited teenage girls. I am flabbergasted that someone like Chandler Burr ranks this as one of his favorites.

HDS1963's avatar

Pasha by Cartier

Mint, Thyme, Lavender, Mandarin..

Middle Notes
    Golden Alyssum, Rosewood, Coriander..

Base Notes
    Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Patchouli.

I don't understand the negative reviews here at all. This is a wonderful fragrance. Fresh and distinguished in the opening with the mint just cutting in above the thyme and lavender sweetened with mandarin.
    Then the spice of the coriander takes over adding a really sexy muskiness to the scent.

The coriander never really leaves with this one, which is why it has a slightly animalic quality to it, yet the fragrance remains slightly sweet on the skin.

I think this is possibly one of the sexiest male fragrances out there - certainly women love to smell you when you are wearing this.

I love it - a thumbs up seems rather too little for this one.

This is not a young man's fragrance, 30+ I would say.

Antaeus by Chanel

No, the main trump of this fragrance isn’t its smell per se (it’s quite classical). Antaeus is a very important part of the magical olfactory world and that’s not without a good reason. First of all Antaeus has an exceptional strength (even the compliments I get for Antaeus sound like “oooh, that one is REALY good”).
    Very often, when I come out from my room (with Antaeus on my neck) ready to go to work, my father says:” Is there any liquid left in that bottle?”. That strong it is.
    One more example: A female colleague asked me one day: “Were you in the accounting department yesterday (I’m working in the marketing department) at about 11 am?” I was astonished: “Yeah, how do you know that? I didn’t see you”. “I detected your scent in the corridor”, she said with a smile. Of course, I was wearing Antaeus.
    It is strong, but it is elegant as well. There is no doubt; Antaeus is a Rolls-Royce among the scents… the big, black, shine Rolls-Royce.
    It’s not indispensable to love Antaeus, but one has to respect this true legend.
    Just one more remark: you don’t have to wear black clothes when you have Antaeus on your skin, but that would make your look somehow complete.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

It was a summer evening and I was at the beach. I was wearing Dune. Suddenly, a tall, good-looking blond woman approached to me and said: “Excuse me, you smell soooo nice, and I just couldn’t resist coming to you and smelling you better. Can I?” I wanted to make an impression on her as a smart and eloquent guy, so I said: “A-ha”. She leaned over me and I felt the touch of her nose and after that of her lips on my neck… and then… and then I woke up and I realized that people around me could love Dune only in my dreams.
    I bought this one and CK Escape for Men on the very same day. It was a double mistake.
    I was wearing Dune when someone said to me that I smell as a brand new rubber toy… and when you smell as a brand new rubber toy you definitely do not smell mainly, sexy or attractive.
    I have never thought that I could say that I hate some scent… but I do hate this one, as much as I hate the hypocrisy, waiting in line or my ex-girlfriend.

Escada Homme by Escada

This fresh oriental scent is pretty rich, spicy and ambery. The note of cognac, no doubt, is quite interesting, but the notes of pepper, sandalwood and musk give me a bigger pleasure.
    It reminds me of a very polite, retiring gentleman who won’t impudently demand your attention but if you pay your attention to him you’d be pleasantly surprised.
    Escada Homme do not bring me the compliments but it always brings me the pleasure what is more important.
    This (not spectacular but nice) scent is a very good example that sweet scent could be quite manful, at the same time.

Nightflight by Joop!

I remember, in an interview with a fashion magazine from this area some singer said about Nightflight (the question was – what is your favorite fragrance?): “I don’t know much about scents, but I think that Nightflight by Joop! is just brilliant. It’s quite original and sexy. Nightflight is far better than many, more famous, scents.”
    This statement is absolutely correct but just till the first score. Nightflight is very unoriginal and un-sexy scent. With no identity; With no authenticity; With no sense. It’s soapy and nothing more but soapy.
    I have it in my collection but it was (that’s my excuse) a blind buy. I hated myself because of that for a long time.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This is my favorite oriental scent. Couple of days ago I was in a corridor talking to a female colleague. Obsession was on my neck. She asked me:”Could you please droop a bit, I want to smell you better”. I did it and several seconds later I felt her lips on my neck. I was quite surprised. She is 13 years older than I am; she is married and the mother of two children. Then we proceeded to talk like nothing happened. I have to say that I am just an average looking guy with not much charm… so it must be the scent…
    Thanks to Obsession I got my first retroactive compliment (it means: somebody notices your scent, (s)he likes it, but tells you that just couple of days or even some weeks later). A female friend told me once:”Last Wednesday, when you passed next to me, you smelled just great”.
    I do not enjoy in any specific note (not even in amber or mandarin which I love very much, and definitely not in myrrh or clove which I do not like), but the interaction of the Obsession’s notes is simply perfect.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Some people say that this is an evening scent. I strongly disagree: Ungaro III is exclusively a nocturnal scent. So, if you have a date with your beloved at (about) midnight Ungaro III is more than an appropriate solution for that occasion.
    It is “on the rose based” scent but I’m not capable to imagine this one on a woman.
    I was thinking for a long time that Ungaro III is a timid scent, but… on New Year’s Eve I was at the municipal square. I chose Ungaro III for that night. I was alone before one of my friends walked up to me and told me that he first detected my scent and saw me just after that. I have to mention that, when he saw me, he was at least 20 feet far from me.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I respect this legend so much that I am standing while I am writing this review…
    First citrus, then vetiver and tobacco. Very simple, very beautiful.
    Vetiver is probably the most natural scent I know. Sometimes, when I wear Vetiver and when I’m alone in my office (I don’t want someone to think that I’m a crank) I close my eyes and imagine that I’m laying in a meadow and I feel the sunshine on my face, smell of the grass and worm earth under my hands.
    If Vetiver is a synonym for natural, its antonym could be Cool Water or 212 Men or Echo…

chaoskitty's avatar

Devon Violets by Aidees

I'm working on the assumption that the Aidees version is the same as Lowdnes Pateman version that I have.
    (A googling for Aidees gave me only Yorkshire Dale Violets)

It is a really simple scent, and lovely. It's quite powdery and if that makes you think little old lady then you probably should stay away. Personally I like smelling a bit old fashioned sometimes. For me it is the scent version of Swizzels-Matlow's fine sweeties, with less sugar, and no teeth rotting.
    It is a slightly alarming green colour though. Just close your eyes and smell it.

chaoskitty's avatar

Fever by Lush

According to Lush this scent is intoxicating, and one of the most requested soap to perfume fragrances. I can't say it inspires that level of love from me. However, it is a nice simple jasmine based fragrance, it has rose and sandalwood in there too, but it's the jasmine that is most predominant for me. It seems a bit sharp to begin with, but on me scents often do. Being a solid scent there isn't that gradual changing element that liquids have, however it sometimes does smell different depending on amount applied or my skin (perspiration?!).
    For less than four pounds it is an absolute bargain, and solids have the wonderful bonus that you don't have to worry about the bottle breaking in your bag if you want to take them out and about.

jbarnett's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Try burning a stick of Shoyeido's top quality pure agarwood incense 'Sho Kaku' and then smell M7. They have as much in common as a diamond with a lump of coal. The first thing that comes to mind when I smell M7 is some kind of horrific, chemical cough syrup that has been smothered with synthetic cherry flavor to thinly disguise the bad taste, but actually makes it worse. I have tried to find something redeeming in this but am always forced to wash it off as it brings on a headache. If you sample 'Nu' you will smell the same notes, but very toned down and wearable. Almost like they discovered some toxin (M7) and refined and modified it to make a wearable fragrance. On top of that, another boring variation on a 'masculine' cube bottle (this one the color of slightly used motor oil, I guess hinting at the contents). Why do men's fragrances always have such unimaginative bottles?
    Sickly sweet, cloying and just vile. Spray some on your pillow if you want to wake up with a migraine.

dreams&drafts's avatar

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

This has approximately the same appeal as a large bowl of sherbet. It’s fun, sweet, not as interesting as ice cream, irrestistable, you know you shouldn’t eat too much, you eat too much, and it’s gone before you know it. I rather enjoy it, but it’s quite intense in the beginning which holds me at bay somehow, then instead of mellowing and becoming more approachable, it disappears altogether. Still, sometimes when I’m cranky and feeling the need for a bit of irreverency and not to mention sweetening up, it hits the spot.

knightz's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

The very first scent that hits me in Azzaro Visit is the heavy Cedar smell. I have not found any other fragrance that has this strong cedar aroma to it. It triggers very pleasant thoughts for me. It brings back memories of being at the cottage, out in the forest, cutting cedar into logs and then splitting them up into kindling for the fireplace. It really does smell like I'm standing on a bed of blue cedar chainsaw dust and axe chips. There is a nice light scent behind the cedar but I don't get any nutmeg. Maybe a light peppery, musky, incense... very very lightly though. To me, the only thing that stands out strongly is the woods. If someone told me that this is what a visit smells like, I would expect that I would be cutting wood during a visit to the country. With Azzaro Visit I get these found memories of being in the wilderness but without having to wrestle with a chainsaw all day, or the blisters from swinging an axe, and no mosquito or black fly bites. Very nice, and very different from anything else I've ever tried. Country fresh, in it's own way. Casual daytime wear for me.

bbBD's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I loved this on the card at the store and was so excited to find a good deal (randomly) at a grocery store. Unfortunately my love evaporated when it hit my skin.... Eau Fraiche IS strong and the sillage is good, but the top notes are, well, feminine - almost floral. The drydown is a sharper musk but the topnotes never fully recede. I personally don't like projecting my fragrance across the office and after an hour sitting at my desk I knew that's exactly what I was doing.... I went home to wash it off at lunch.

That said, this is unique and unisex, 'fresh' but not weak... it's just not for me.

taebopper's avatar

Bourbon by Demeter Fragrance Library

As with most Demeter scents, this one does not last long at all. As a matter of fact, it vanishes almost as soon as you spray it. An intense burst of alochol with a slight hint of cherries is all I get out of it. I sprayed about 10 sprays on my chest, and I smelled like an alocholic for about 20 seconds.

sweetannie's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

As a gift to myself, I've gotten lots of samples of a wide range of scents. Once a week, I take one to work and 5 or 6 of us give it a try. We (all women) try the scents without looking at the information on the decant, so we don't have preconceived notions. We all found this very pleasant. It has a nice sillage but still seems close to the skin. My husband likes it on me, too ("cinnamon-y" to his nose). Perhaps we used smaller amounts that those who found this juice noxious. I'm still trying to figure it out. It is unusual. I'll put a heavier dose on today. Maybe I won't like that so much.

I wonder if those who pick up a "blood" note aren't picking up a little smell of copper? There's an enzyme in the blood, ceruloplasmin, that contains and also carries copper.

BTW, a scent that smelled really freaky to my husband and myself was Myrrh Ardente. A bit like visits to the doctor after a bad scrape, maybe a little like an embalming room, or your childhood dentist's office.