Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Nathan214's avatar

Moschino Funny! by Moschino

I gave a bottle of this to a friend of mine, and she was thrilled. She said it was fresh and lively, and that it made her feel like the air around her sparkled. She said it's not sexy or intimidating, but bright and vivacious, instead -- a kind of "Let's kick up our heels and I promise I won't flirt with your husband" scent. It starts off a little soapy, but quickly brightens into citrus and light pepper, then mellows out into a warm, welcoming note. She said it smelled like youth and invigorated her day. She also said the bottle is totally adorable, and whoever designed it was a genius.

02nd May, 2008

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

Much better than Guerrilla 1, which is not a difficult thing to be: All they had to do is leave out Guerrilla 1’s raw meat note. Guerrilla 2 opens with a light floral / spice accord; the pepper adds interest to the simple bergamot / ginger opening. The middle accord is spicy, sweet and floral, and equally light. It’s enjoyable. The base is rather an ordinary woody musk. It’s not a complicated fragrance and it is light and subtle. The accords are creative and pleasant, but I wouldn’t call them engrossing or intriguing; they’re different; they’re very nice. I don’t know what CDG were trying to do when they developed this Guerrilla line of fragrances. The first one presented a butcher shop odor, and this one presents… well, it’s nice … yawn.

02nd May, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th October, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

An early scent by CSP, before they descended down the lamentable vanilla rabbit-hole.
    A marvellous old-school scent in the aromatic, spicy-wood line. It starts with citrus and warm spices, with hints of smoky incense. The elements are well blended, so it is a bit of a challenge to pick them out. However, I can say that the jasmine softerns the resinous incense and enriches the considerable woody spices. Hints of patchouli add tangy complexity. Dry woods emerge, along with some grassy vetiver. Hey – no vanilla at all here! Excellent! I like this sort of scent and this is very, very well done. It is substantial, and not for the faint of heart.

02nd May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th July, 2014)

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Pure Lavande by Azzaro

Reference generic fragrance.

Azzaro Pure Cheap-Synthetic-Fresh-Woody Note more like.

I think could make something better smelling from the potassium permanganate, alum and sulphur from my 10+ chemistry set.

Rocabar by Hermès

Woody, aromatic, spicy, herbal, fairly sweet — and a chypre. I find this a very appealing scent. Like most Hermès creations, this smells elegant. I can wear this to work, but it's also perfect for an evening engagement of a more personal character, dinner or a date; perhaps it would be most appropriate at an elegant soirée. One of things it does suggest to me is a night on the town. The juniper berries and cedar really take the lead with this. Lavender, spices and vanilla provide the underpinning and the chypre accord does the heavy lifting. Key words: Smooth. Elegant. Relaxed. Confident.

03rd May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th November, 2009)

Bois de Paradis by Delrae

This is the first Delrae that I fell in love with, although all of them are rather special to me. I find the BdP scent quite comfortable to wear in some circumstances. I probably wouldn't wear it to work, a job interview, or a first date. For a more intimate or romantic occasion, however, I would readily spray some on.

It's rich, "tasty," and quite captivating to my nose. The woody-amber notes in the base are the chief feature after the first notes begin to drop out, and they are really very warm, but (to my mind, at least) not overly lush. I wouldn't say the effect of the drydown is so much powdery as "dusty" — a bit dry and a touch earthy. I think that kind of grounds the fragrance solidly and well, but it doesn't overbalance the delicacy of the brighter notes which still linger. This is what i would call a shyly sensual fragrance: not at all voluptuous, but tender and warm-hearted.

Tiempe Passate by Antonia's Flowers

Norbert Bijaoui's formulation is beautiful. The Estonian website parfyym.pri.ee gives the following notes:

Top Note: Bergamot
    Middle Notes: Rose, Mimosa, Cyclamen
    Base Notes: Sage, Amber, Cedar, Vetiver

I think this is a fairly masculine rose scent. I know the florals sound rather feminine, but the sage and woody-oriental notes in the base really turn this into an offering that both sexes can wear comfortably. If there is one point on which I would fault it, that would be the weakness of the sillage and the longevity issue. These are not serious drawbacks, however. The scent does project a bit, just not strongly enough for my taste.

Of all the scents from this house, this is definitely the best to my nose. I have to add that I like the name also. It does have that old-timey character to it, being the title of an old Neapolitan love song. When I think of this scent, in my mind's eye I see an old sepia-tone photograph of a couple in circa 1905 clothes, she with a Gibson Girl hairdo, and he sporting a handlebar moustache.

It's a very affecting scent, and rather romantic — in the dreamy, old-fashioned way that seems sadly forgotten nowadays.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Standing waiting for the train to arrive a beautiful woman starts walking towards me. She had to be 20 feet away and yet there was no mistaking the Angel she had on wrapping itself around me like tentacles. To my horror she got on the same subway car and sat directly across from me. My eyes began to burn and stomach wanted to heave, so heavy and cloying was this fragrance. Both versions of Angel I wish could be outlawed in the U.S. Luckily it wasn't rush hour and I had to get up and move away to another seat far away from her. Pity because other than her fragrance choice she was beautiful to look at. I really can't give this enough thumbs down.

fusion's avatar

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I really tried liking this as I am a huge fan of other Issey Miyake fragrances, it just didn't get my attention it didn't stink but to me it didn't smell great either. longevity was good the dry down was nice but the opening was way to much for me, so I will give a neutral rating because the scent wasn't to my liking but it passes in all other categories.

echerub's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Almost 10 hours after application, I can still smell it faintly on my skin. That's good longevity! Unfortunately, I've got to put my nose an inch from my skin to pick up the scent and have had to do so since about 30 minutes after application. The fragrance is light, slightly sweet and tart, a certainly brings to mind apples but in a decidedly artificial way - like a Jolly Rancher candy. The fragrance is certainly inoffensive - it would be difficult indeed to find anyone who would find the scent objectionable, assuming they could smell it on you in the first place. However, it is also decidedly boring, patently uninteresting, and in my opinion, perfectly pointless. In an effort to create something that nobody could ever object to, DKNY has produced something that is exceedingly faint, uninspired, and lacking in charm or appeal. It may have good longevity, but lacking in character, projection, or enjoyment, that is neither a plus nor a minus.

acceptfacts's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I own all three Un Jardins and I would have to say that this is the most unique of the three. it is quite dry throughout and in the beginning it is almost bitter yet somehow inviting....as it developes and settles it reminds me of a floral and much, much more herbal version of TdH. There is this earthyness presence to it throughout, but unlike TdH(which reminds me of a dug up dirt around an orange tree).....La Mousson makes me envision the rain soaked grass in the heart of indian Jungle in the early morning hours...............overall what impressed me the most, although there were some hints of similarities to TdH, it is a very unique scent in itself and brings a senmse of relaxation and peacefullness to the wearer. its only drawback is its own subtleness.

Vivek's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I tried this out today, its available at Harvey Nicks and House of Fraser in England, they really are trying to push it. I loved the opening, I do get the Bitter Orange Leaves with a Neroli smell, during the middle stages (about 1 hour in) I get Cedar, Cedar and more Cedar, eventually this lightens off and i'm left with a slight Cedary-Musky smell with a slightly bittersweet quality, which I presume is the 'mineral amber'

Overall a nice fragrance, nothing groundbreaking but extremely wearable, gets the thumbs up simply because its something thats nice, but doesn't appeal above a lot of other stuff. Would I buy it? If discounted, yes. At RRP of £36 for 50ml, probably not.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Very light opening but good drydown, fav of the ladies. Top notes are rosemary, artemisia, lavender, basil, lemon verbena, bergamot and lemon;
    middle notes are coriander, carnation, cinnamon, juniper and jasmine;
    base notes are leather, sandalwood, fir, amber, patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

Quasar by J del Pozo

An Acqua di Gio alternative, The nose behind this fragrance is Christopher Sheldrake, who is behind Daim Blond and Chergui. Top notes are banana leaf and fruity notes; middle notes are rosemary, lavender, sage and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, oakmoss and cedar

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

The fragrance was created by Annick Menardo. Top notes are chinese orange, tarragon and cactus; middle notes are african geranium, pimento and cedar; base notes are sandalwood, cedar and white musk. Great sweet scent, test before you buy though.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Not anything special IMO, great longevity . topnotes of water and aldehydes. It is followed by woodsy and spicy character of the fragrance, light and translucent. The base is white musk, tonka beans and amber. .

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Definitely a huge, mature and formal fragrance, nothing subtle about this one. I know VC&P are a reputable house and this must be "expertly blended" and all of that. That said, I understand the intimidation of writing the first negative review of this scent. Trust me, I tried on several occasions to like this one. It just evokes images of some pretentious fat-cat tycoon type who thinks cardio is the walk from the t-box to the golf cart, wears his shirt open with an expensive suit, and thinks monogrammed initials on his cuffs are prestigious. He "discretely" makes a show of his cigar smoking. You can detect slight remnants of gasoline spilled while filling his leather interiored Lincoln Continental despite the HUGE bouquet of carnations he brought to impress the lady. This may appeal to many. It kind of makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Proof positive ‘basenotes’ are where it's at. Initially, the top notes were overwhelmingly too heavily incensed and discordant (sweet/metallic) with the florals for me. On dry down, the wood resin and cedarwood emerge to warm things up. Be patient because it takes some time for it to all settle nicely on a syrupy amber basenote where the excellent blend resonates with superior longevity. A favorite of the Bond No9 line.

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

I agree it is difficult to categorize this scent. While there are no particular predominate notes the blend is very pleasant. I detect vetyver, citrus and woody accords. All that said, the women in my office unanimously love it. I couldn't resist sniffing my arm throughout the day where I had applied it . The longevity is excellent.

Anthracite pour L'Homme by Jacomo

Really is a shame this was discontinued and all that's left is a mess.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I wore this several years ago and then stopped. Put it on again the other day and forgot how loud it could be. It's so syrupy sweet in the beginning but the drydown is pleasant enough. Wouldn't wear every day but from time to time. In 2002 it was over over used. Now that you don't smell it quite as much maybe I'll take it out again.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I used to love this fragrance but after discussing it with someone else who wore it decided there was something in the drydown that smelled almost bitter or chemically, that's the only way I know how to describe it. I haven't worn it over two years. Before that it was a daily wear for me but I was noticing something it the drydown and wondered if it was just me but someone else was noticing the same thing so at least I realized it wasn't just me and I didn't feel like I was on Gilligan's Island by myself. I don't know what it could be because it says there's only Sandalwood and musk in the drydown but something was goin on.

Royal Copenhagen Musk by Royal Copenhagen

One of the first fragrances I ever purchased and still evokes many memories for me as well. I would actually wear it again.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Unfortunately, I purchased blindly as did a few others and that's such a dumb thing to do. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't. In this case I didn't. It sits in my drawer stinking. I tried again today to give it another chance and oh boy does it smell. Oh I certainly can smell fecal notes in this as someone earlier posted mentioned. Interesting and complex doesn't begin to describe the odor. There are many adjectives that come to mind to describe this one. I can't imagine giving it away because I don't know anyone who would want to smell like this.

04th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th June, 2008)

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

Well, after going to perfumeemporium's website and all the positive reviews there and seeing it was discontinued I bought a few minis and now wish I hadn't. They smell awful. Maybe they've sat too long and just have gone bad. They certainly don't smell distinguished, clean or freh and with a hint of fresh flowers. I will never wear them and am thinking of putting them on the doorsteps of my apartment complex and I'm someone will come along and pick them up as they will be free of charge.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I purchased this one and used to wear it but applied some the other day and found it feels very feminine and perhaps should have been made as a unisex fragrance.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A moist and fresh green paired with delicately sweet violet, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, it's lovely! This is one of my most favorite springtime floral frags. Despite it's cool freshness, it wears fairly close to the body, but lives a long life none the less! This is a L'Artisan boutique fragrance ~ only available in L'Artisan Parfumeur stand alone shops. It is worth seeking out, I believe I will always have a bottle of this in my wardrobe. Anne Flipo does fresh florals so well!

bront82's avatar

Purple Water by Asprey

Quite pretty really ... clean and expensive smelling. To me, this smells exactly like the toiletry tray in the marble bathroom of a 5-star hotel. It smells a bit like a fine soap wrapped in tissue paper. Hard to go wrong with this one, huh?

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The Buddhist wedding ceremony of an orange and a stone, celebrated next to the stream where the rock is from. They do.

LeChiffre's avatar

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

Better than the original imho - like the grapefruit note...wait for the drydown.

04th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th June, 2008)