Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I'm reviewing the EdT.

This stuff makes me feel like a bada**. Seriously, I can't put it any other way. If you have a lack of confidence problem then you cannot wear this. Be warned! Strong leather, musk balanced with mild citrus and a bit of neroli and a flowery scent I think is jasmine or gardenia.

This stuff is not for the weak stomached.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Juniper berries have a tendency to smell really horrible to me but when paired with other things it can be quite lovely. This does not work on my skin at all. I have tried a juniper shaving cream by L'Occitane before and juniper stings the skin.

Black Jeans by Versace

I would throw it up there on the tier with Bandit for those tar and leather scents that make you feel indestructible. You don't need a bad boy image to pull off the fragrance, though. The whole things is one huge wonderful accord of leathery scents even though it says there's no leather but damn if I will attest that there's leather in there. This maybe because of the mixture of many floral scents with juniper and nutmeg. Just wonderful but can be gagging in large doses.

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

Not long lasting but I like the spiciness. A good, cheap blue cologne for whenever.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

My absolute favorite of the Creed line. For the record, most of the others are very bland and boring but this one is particularly exciting. Oddly reminds me of ck Obsession but less sweet and not as powerful.. but you need less power when it comes to Obsession. This is spicy, smooth and woody. I love it.

Casran by Chopard

Very linear and chemical. Feels like a chemical mess to me and doesn't add up in the notes. I don't get any of them shown on the note pyramid.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I don't need a scent that reminds me of shower water and cheap soap with a dash of pepper. This smells weak but inoffensive. Grass and citrus = dilute soap water. I'm one of those who doesn't like this. I'm told "if you don't like Mugler Cologne there's soemthing wrong with you." Well, I guess there's something wrong with me.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This is an amazing zesty, citrus scent. I don't feel the "out-dated-ness" of this at all. Very crisp and great for all around wear. Very strong as well.

Erolfa by Creed

Like a swallow full of ocean water. Salty and the alleged "marine" smell that other frags try to protray. Don't like this one because it feels very, very harsh. The ocean and I have aren't friends.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Green and unpleasant. I have the opportunity to layer it with a sample of the shower gel. Smells like plastic tar at first, kinda weird but I find that to be a common theme with fougere genre frags I have tried. That scent goes away quickly and turns into a fresh green scent that suits better for a greenhouse than on a human body. A stragne sensation I find with it is that it feels very dry. Does last a good while, though.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Love it or hate it, here's Joop! Homme. I hate it. Then I love it. Then I hate it. Makes me feel like the fragrance is inducing schizophrenia upon me. Medicinal. Then sweet. Potent. Bubble-gum. All kinds of weird and all kinds of boring but even interesting. Just a very odd scent. However I must rate on the downside due to the overwhelming overall syntheticness of it all.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Another love it or hate it frag.... I love it. I love it because, after reading reviews in many places, I absolutely cannot smell the urinal cake accord people talk about. This smells great and works very well with my skin. One of the lucky ones I suppose.

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Cheap synthetic woody musk. Not my type. Though can be very pleasant on a cool fall day.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

A perfectly smooth fragrance. Slightly spicy and I do mean slightly as it's sweet but balanced. To me it's very calming. I liek to wear it to bed on the cooler days. The amber is nice and sweet but overly sweet. This is definitely a potent fragrance.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I can smell the notes individually: lavender, moss, sage, all good but together it becomes a soapy linear scent. Well composed but too strong sometimes.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This is nice, but it feels like a watered-logged log of cedar. Totally not terrible because the scent is still pleasant but feels weak.

Quercus by Penhaligon's

Very pleasant. And yes, it does smell just like ck One. I had loved ck One many years ago and had the chance to wear it again recently. ck One must have changed because it didn't smell like it used to. But Quercus here, smells exactly what I remember ck One smelling like. Neutral but citrus and other smooth notes like basil. A traditional house's take on making a modern fragrance.

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

From the notes listed here, I would've liked this one a lot more. However, the pepper in this really destroys the loveliness of the lavender and the moss. Very green and synthetic and as others have said, out-dated.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Wood? You better believe it! I don;t think you can get more woody that living in a log cabin while eating wood grain cereal while wearing nothing but wood underwear when suddenly a tree fell into your roof. Peppery with the depressing olibanum basenote with the uplifting musk. quite fine in my opinion.

Mediterraneum by Versace

Wonderfully strong. Like a huge spicy orange. Cheap and good smelling, how could you go wrong? (Other than it doesn't last long) Still love it.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Chanel does a "sports" fragrance? That's like having Baldwin making shoes. I love Allure Homme but this sporty fragrance isn't sporty at all and comes off as average.

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

I love the original Eay Sauvage but now we're adding fresh leather into the mix? This is stuff is amazing because of it. Why did Dior limit this release? I believe it would've made a great addition to their line-up. A definite must have for me (if I could only find a bottle!)

Ciel Mon Jardin by Le Prince Jardinier

All I can say is that more perfumes should use the wonderful smell of rhubarb. This is crisp mixture of vegetables, fruits and flowers. Just wonderful. Feels like a walk through a Carribean grocery stand near a busy port. Absolutely lovely.

I once layered this with Rochas Man aftershave and the result was a foody bliss.

's avatar

Chocolovers by Aquolina

The chocolate (and I do use that term loosely) in this smells cheap and the rest of the scent isn't any better. I would rate this scent as mildly repulsive. At least it doesn't induce headaches...

Noraed's avatar
    Noraed

Midnight Fantasy by Britney Spears

Very fruity and a little fresh and sweet scent.
    It is a Floral - Fruity type of perfume.
    It’s more of a summer fragrance than a night fragrance.
    You could say it is a teenagish perfume.

Recommended for trial for those who love perfumes with lots of fruity notes, like the original Fantasy perfume by Britney or, like some of Escada’s fruity perfumes e.g. (Island Kiss or Pacific Paradise). Not saying that they smell similar, but they are the same type (floral fruity).

The perfume is good, but there is too much cherries for my liking.

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

I'm sold! BBJ has been kicking around my collection in mini form for a while and it's quickly becoming my summer favorite for its freshness and balance across its development.

The topnotes of citrus are not sharp, but they manage to find the medium between sour citrus and sweet citrus - its right in the middle. Accompanying the citrus is an underlying powder scent that softens the whole fragrance. A couple hours in light florals emerge and blend with sandalwood and vanilla. Overall there is a warmth to BBJ that I find compelling. As with most fresh fragrances, this stays close to the skin, but the longevity is great when applied somewhat more generously than average.

As a final plus, this is can be had for pocket change at your local mall perfumania....

26 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 June, 2008)

Zizanie by Fragonard

Zizanie was the scent I grew up smelling on my father... I remember him saving his last bottle when it was discontinued (in the U.S?) and then being so happy when he found a bottle at an old time fragrance shop. I enjoy the current version - a little citrusy, a little woodsy and sweet... nothing too complicated but nothing offensive at all. Good for summer days.

I'm sorry to hear that the bottle I have is vastly different from the original... I'd like reexperience the original. If anyone know where to find such a bottle feel free to message me.

26 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2008)

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

I'm surprised the experts here didn't pick up on Romance Silver's extreme similarity to Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Purple Label is one of my favorites, but smelling Silver made me wish I hadn't spent the effort searching for a good deal on the elusive PL. i believe both of these fragrances were released around the same time..

Both fragrances center around a blackberry/tobacco accord giving way to a slightly spicy woodsiness. The fruity scent is more pronounced in Silver, the woods more pronounced in PL. Other reviews note pronounced spiciness in Silver... I just didn't notice it but that could just be my skin or perhaps the rather mild (2-spray) application. Like PL, Silver is understated and close to the skin. It lasts a bit longer - I could even still smell it on myself after 10 minutes in a pool - but doesn't develop quite as much. This is great for the office or a dinner with your girlfriend, but it's not a particularly macho-masculine scent.

I'm glad to know that Silver is available when I go through my PL bottle.

sweettooth52000's avatar
    sweettooth52000

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Nothing new or special. Sweet clean scent that you always smell passing by in the mall/street/wherever. I will say that it is nice once it has dried down. But be forewarned that this scent has a Very short lasting strength. I can spray 8 or 9 sprays on, and by lunch it has dissapated completely(and yes I asked others around me, it simply doesn't last). For the right person and body chemistry you may get better lasting power, but for the cost it's not quite worth it. Never buy this from Armani, it's not worth over 50$ and ebay usually sells it off for under 30$. Wouldn't buy again, but it at least is nice.

sweettooth52000's avatar
    sweettooth52000

Envy for Men by Gucci

This scent is an interesting one. At first spray it seems to be sweet, and as it dries down on me, it gets smokier and smokier. By the end (about an hour) it smells like i've just been outside burning wood. I'll have to say, yes it does smell good, but it's not something I would wear everyday. It's a sophisticated scent, and I wouldn't recomend it for anyone under college age, but for certain occasions this could be nice. I'll give it a Eh-Okay rating, since it just doesn't have much flexibility.