Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Ah...the classic Joop! I bought this reading some "fabulous" reviews online about it. That was a big mistake. The lasting power is amazing, which for this one is not a good thing. It is sooo flowery and sweet that it induces headaches. Also, it never really dries down to anything nice, it simply stays Super sweet (for hours). I couldn't even wash it off when I wanted to. Simple advice, try it before you buy it. It could be okay, but only for a Really adventurous person..or someone who is not looking for a date.

26 May, 2008

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce is actually really nice. It starts out with a mild citrus and spicy high note. The mid notes aren't super inovative, just a clean scent. But the drydown is a nice spicy wood. It is a little expensive for how long it lasts, but for dates and informal events, this is nice.

26 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2008)

Cologne 41 by Abercrombie & Fitch

As if the Abercrombie guys walked across to Aeropastel and smelled Maximum. It's basically an exact copy, and is 30$ more... Good scent, but is it really worth it? Probably not.

26 May, 2008

jathanas's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

A groundbreaking classic. No other perfume of it's time better defined the era. I understand the criticisms i.e. cloying and synthetic. That however is to neglect the sillage, longevity, warmth, and uniqueness of this juice.

Vanilla, lavender, & mint. What's not to like? This is a modern Caron pour un Homme!

In my mind Le Male sits very comfortably among the other legendary frags like Paco Rabanne, Aramis, Azzaro, Eau Sauvage etc. 2 thumbs way up!

26 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 November, 2011)

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

A wonderful, peppery, cedary and resolutely mens smell; subtle and sweet but could not be mistaken for a unisex fragrance. Citrus opening blends in well when the pepper kicks in and finishes off with the cedar and vetiver which can be mistaken for tobacco sometimes. In this case it lends itself to a tobacco-like note which lingers throughout yet doesn't make this linear, it has a depth little found in many contemporary releases. Good choice of ambassador; Ewan McGregor is rather like the fragrance - sort of adventurous, sort of manly and rugged with some added gentlemanly quality. Moderate projection and longevity but for once I'm happy with a new release in 2008!

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Fever pour Homme by Céline

Wow, this is one of the best blind buys. It reminds me of Dunhill Edition, which is ranked in my top 5. Very incense-like, soft, full-bodied and modern. Will buy again for sure!

musclegod007's avatar

Tubereuse 40 by Le Labo

I don't get any tuberose, however, it's a perfect neroli scent, ton of rounded citrus, and white flower petals. Incredible sillage, and dry down. the price is outrageous. I think it's worth it.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

It's lovely. Not as soft and fluffy as the name and advertising implies - it does have some backbone and impressive sillage. It also lasts phenomenally well on the skin and is often still there the following morning. There's a definite crispness and sparkle to the head and heart notes and it clips along like Carrie in her Manolos. There's a sass to it.

I think that's the image to hold when considering this fragrance - don't think of SJP the dancer, fashionista, Broadway actress, Mrs Matthew Broderick... think of Carrie clipping smartly down a sunny New York street in a little bitty dress and high heels, going to meet her girlfriends. It's warm, sparkling, charming and urban; it doesn't put a foot wrong.

Makes a great gift too.

Skip Savage's avatar

Eau de Santal by Floris

I picked up a small bottle on Jermyn Street after sampling the line. I usually aim for light, citrusy, fruity, aquatic fragrances and avoid orientals, or anything too cloying. But a little spice is nice, and this Eau de Santal convinced me with its beauty and restrained good taste. I should have bought more, because now I wear it regularly, liking it especially at night or when I'm dressed up. The accord is tight, peppery and natural. Manly, yes. Not very sweet and I'd say it's inoffensive. An elegant bottle from a fine, historic house.

TaoLady's avatar

Rochas Femme (original) by Rochas

Just LOVE Ayala's review of this classic beauty - recently sampled as "vintage", which is not bad but does not live up to the memory of the Femme I adored in the (gasp) fifties. I was blessed that even as a younger woman (mid twenties) she behaved so wondrously for me. The voluptuous base of musk and amber with it's discreet hint of suede simmered under the most rapturous cloud of heady flowers and rich fruits offset with just a hint of citrus.

I'm not gonna mess with the current version.

I don't know how to thumb this one because my only recent experience is with this "vintage" sample..... guess I'll go with "neutral".

Fiorello's avatar

Eau de Hongrie by Fragonard

Eau de Hongrie is one of my top ten. I love natural jasmine as a bona fide, starring note in men's/unisex frags and there aren't too many with such panache. The jasmine here is very natural, fresh and more high-pitched than that of average, indolic, African--especially Egyptian--types. The accord formed with the bergamot is the "grapey" type--an accord I can never get enough of. I have detected this synergistic nuance in many frags, especially Italian ones. Some people relate it in part to classic "barber shop" frags. It can be rendered like bug spray in cheap, synthetic blends or be glorious, mesmerizing and transcendental like it is here. EdH is warm without being sweet, fresh without being ozonic, very sensual while remaining dynamic, unfailing and eternal. Sometimes simplicity is more fascinating than a complex chypre--and when it's done with quality ingredients it will put a smile on your face all day. The price/quality ratio is quite agreeable.
    EdH is in a similar class to MPG's Jardin du Nil, L'Artisan's Mure et Musc, Lalique Pour Homme, Byblos Uomo, CdG Rose, etc.

tfaust's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

I bought this not long ago and it's become a mainstay in my collection. The opening is powerful - spray lightly or you'll be changing your shirt by lunchtime. I was 15 minutes into this one when nostalgia hit like a hammer, and I was reminded of Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men. It's not precisely the same, but the bright herbs and woods became a strong reminder, and ever since I've worn this one at least once a week. The drydown is addictive. A keeper, to be sure.

mrblowtorch's avatar

Quorum by Antonio Puig

They say that male alligators make a noise that is subsonic - below the level of human hearing. Scientists have told us that the meaning of this sound is very simple; basically, "I'm here, and I'm bigger than you." If this sound had a smell, it would be the smell of Quorum. A close cousin of Azzaro pour Homme, but drier, woodier, and an opening like a straight up slap to the face. Wear this in the daytime, while you are wearing a suit, studs, and cufflinks. Absolutely essential.

mrblowtorch's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Um. Hi, Silver Mountain Water, thanks for coming. I suppose you're wondering why I asked you here today? Would you like any wine, anything? No? Uh... well, I guess I'll get right down to it. I see what you're trying to do, really. I get it, and I respect it, but, um... really, you're trying too hard. I know you want to be all silvery and all mountain watery, but I'm sorry, I just find you all metallic and sort of vulgar and gross. Maybe you could try to be a little more like your cousin, Millesime Imperial? Oh... now, don't cry, I'm sorry. Really, it's not you, it's me.

chaserx911's avatar

Blue Rush by Avon

I agree with previous posters. This is a good cheap alternative to a nice fresh summer scent. Reminds me of a less intense cool water and a little more summery, if that makes sense. Definitely recommend it.

SirSlarty's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I enjoy the smell. I don't enjoy the hype. I don't enjoy all the negative talk about it on the boards. I never wore this but I distinctly remembering people who did but I never knew what they were wearing.

This is fresh and fruity and smooth like one of those frozen smoothies but with extra milk. At first it wasn't nice at all but later I liked it. If you've read about all the hype i.e. the many fragrances that are copies of Cool Water, you might not like the original.

It's good but uninspiring.

SirSlarty's avatar

Kouros Tattoo Edition by Yves Saint Laurent

Love this take on Kouros. I was lucky enough for someone to decant a small sample for me.

Tattoo does feel slightly weaker than its parent with some pepper added but its weakness is only slight. We're talking about Kouros here, a potent fragrance as it is! Good stuff.

Merbert's avatar

Chèvrefeuille Original by Creed

To me it is a walk through an herb garden surrounded by evergreens after a fall morning rain. I detect mint, but not a crass common variety, rather the delicate sweetness of Persian mint. Fennel, tarragon and possibly lemon thyme are there as well. The sweet evergreen scent of cedar and camphor leaves enriches the bright herbs. I don't detect any woods. Quite some time after the drydown, I sense the faintest floral, but not honeysuckle or muguet as others have mentioned. Both are in my garden and are quite different than the floral notes of Chevrefeuille. It is a less sweet and more 'metallic' blossom.

What a delightful daytime fragrance!

Merbert's avatar

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Comfort, comfort and more comfort! There's no intrigue and no mystery, but the comfort is all-encompassing. It is like a bowl of Middle Eastern confections: almond nougat, pistachio loukhoum, and cardamom kisses rolled in dried rose petals. On the drydown is a soft powdery white heliotrope, true to the fresh blossoms, is warmed with amber and vanilla.

When you wear this, don't expect romance. It's more for those flannel pajama nights.

Merlino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

To my nose AdP CI is a very musty, leather dominated scent. I literally detect no citrus and the cedar is very dark and unpleasant, not like the gorgeous cedar in for example Bois du Portugal. I cannot fathom why they would call this a cologne.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy is one of the first scents to impress me in quite a while. I was all set to buy another fragrance but asked the saleswoman to switch the other one out for this; glad I did because at last I've found an oriental fragrance I can wear during these warm Southern nights without overwhelming my senses and those of people around me. Wasn't sure about Envy at first but it's proven to be rather mysterious, earthy-oriental scent, and thankfully it's LIGHT on the musk which might have been a deal breaker other wise. If your body chemistry reacts well to the oriental family, give this one a shot!

Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

Agreed, very CKish. Part of a coffret set I picked up--glad it was on the cheap. Not the worst thing I've ever smelled but definitely leaves me thinking of bugspray.

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

All I can think of when I sniff this stinkin' juice is Burberry Touch with a hint of BO. If there had been more vanilla Cuba just might have had a winner.

Cuba Orange by Cuba Paris

Once it gets past the "grapsicle" aroma it's not bad, but I think too much of this would have the entire establishment barfing. Certainly not like anything I've smelled before but I think that's probably a good thing...might have worked well with Cuba Red.

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

Nothing but woods and tobacco from liquid to drydown. Might have worked well with Cuba Orange.

filippa89's avatar

Cittá di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

On my skin it starts with iris and sandalwood. I get very little citrussy notes and no fruit/peach at all (thankfully). The florals then change into a light, incensy wood. It's quite different from other incense scents such as CdG or Passage d'Enfer. Citta' di Kyoto only has traces of incense which lingers. The longevity isn't great but as an EdC it's not completely unexpected. Plus there's just so much of it. I wouldn't worry about using it up too quickly.

taralynn36's avatar

Exotic Coconut by Bath and Body Works

This is one of the best summer fragrances. It has the sweet smell of coconut but the sandalwood & musk keep it from smelling like suntan oil. Lasting power is very good, especially if you layer with the lotion.

taralynn36's avatar

United Colors of Benetton Woman by Benetton

Very nice fresh smelling fragrance that smells more expensive than it is. Lasting power is about average for an edt.

Chris Lipscomb's avatar

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

I was recently introduced to Eucris having been initiated into Trumpers through their signature scent GFT which I find very refreshing. However, I am now totally converted to Eucris which I find a sophisticated fragrance reminiscent of "old money" and power. It is lasting and has a ceratin ruggedness about it which gives you confidence wherever you go. This is now my staple Cologne and accompanies me on all my travels. Forget about any of the more popolular mainstream brands and head to Trumpers for this King of Colognes.

colago's avatar

Poland Poland

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

I somehow cannot get rid of the feeling that it really stinks on me.