Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

Nancml's avatar

Pique by Redken

This is the only fragrance I have ever "hunted" to buy . It has a sweet but gentle and earthy aroma that lingers nicely and warms with wear .

I am fairly certain it is out of production . *sigh*

27 May, 2008

colago's avatar

Poland Poland

Royal Prastara by Douglas Hopkins

This fragrance has a long and a bit complicated history. "Prastara" is a men's cologne produced in Poland by Florina for a couple of decades. The licence was probably sold to Douglas Hopkins, I'm not quite sure. The fact is they look (I say look) identical, although the version made in Poland has a different cap. I can comment on the one made in Poland only. The Polish "Prastara" is basically a fragrance reminiscent of a typical Koelnisch Wasser (that is one produced in Koeln, or Cologne) with some subtle citrus overtones. Elegant and smooth. Not too long lasting, though.

27 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st April, 2011)

Indie_Guy's avatar

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

I bought this blind and immediately found it to be shockingly great. There's a mouthwatering grapefruit note that is reminiscent of the sweetened red grapefruit segments that come packed in jars of sugar syrup-- and this note lingers all the way though. Also, the dry, peppery melange of spice notes grabs your attention right away like a Chinese firecracker. The subtle vetiver in the base rounds everything out nicely. I dislike the heavy-handed sweetness of most orientals, but this one achieves a perfect dryness. This fragrance also resonates with a certain air of mystery-- when you walk up to a group of women wearing this, they will all wonder who you are.

I've recently discovered the original Opium Pour Homme and it's good, but I prefer the modern touch of Eau D'Orient (2006 version). Get a bottle and wear it to your favorite smoke-filled, dimly lit bar. Then watch the magic happen.

Amit's avatar

India India

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Just recently bought this.... and I have fallen in love with it. I get no sweetness.. and the smell isnt dirty per se .. its the smell of a soiled cat.. i.e. a cat's unwashed body.. the fur... very animalic in character.. plus that DENSE smokiness... with that strange "dirt" and cardboard..whew.

I gotta be careful though... my girl probably wont like Dzing largely due to its animalic nature.. like i've been sleeping in my cat's bed but that isn't stopping me from wearing this gem :thumbup:

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Uppercut by Everlast

Inspite of the agggresive and overtly mascho, muscular association of the name, this scent is a truly safe, wearable and quite mellow aquatic scents, basically a lighter version of the initial Everlast 1910, but with its strong tones significantly reduced and turned into a sweet, slightly unisex creation. What bothers me the most about this one is not the sweetness, but rather the synthetic subtext of this very sweet note. Not bad tough, but unlike the original Everlast, not too different from the bulk of usual mass market creations, however, even with less value for money than the original, it's still an ok, yet not outstanding, choice regarding uncomplicated summer /casual scents.

leor_77's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Very hard not to like this scent. The vanilla and sweetness is perfectly balanced with the use of tobacco. It truly does smell like good pipe tobacco. It's one of those scents that after I tried, immediately went to get a sample of the stuff. My favorite so far from the line.

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

I'm spoiled by Nandebary Green, which offers superior-smelling ingredients and a more diverse experience which happens to include a green-tea-like segment. If to recommend a simple green tea scent that trumps Elizabeth Arden's, it would be the one by Roger & Gallet--same concept, finer quality, and, I think, in about the same price range as EA's (unlike Nanadebary, which, admittedly, is costly).

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

I like the Le Parfum (red bottle) more than the lesser concentrations. Reminiscent of heliotrope (everlasting flower), the sweet quality of FbK smells like you've spilt the best baby powder next door to the best confectionary bakery. This is one of those sweet fragrances I love to encounter, but would weary of wearing.

Tocade by Rochas

Here's a word I don't use often with regard to perfumes: boring. I like simple, discreet scents, but Tocade strikes me as dull and flat. Maybe I'm missing something or this combination of notes just doesn't happen to hit any of my buttons. C'est la vie.

Badgley Mischka by Badgley Mischka

As I was checking this out at Sephora, I thought its top notes bore a striking similarity to Coco Mademoiselle, so I sought the CM tester to compare, but it was missing from the shelf. Brought home a scent strip (which is quite pungent) and kept sniffing it to analyze how I felt about it. In some ways it's as loud as a cheerleading squad: "Give me a P, give me an E, give me an RFUME." It's truly "perfumey." And there's something that's giving me flashbacks to my mom wearing some sample fragrance from decades ago. Then I began to pick up on a soapy quality that has now morphed to a aftershave scent. I'd probably compliment someone wearing this, but would fatigue of it quickly if it were in my own wardrobe.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I detect a faint citrus top note and then an effect similar to DK's Black Cashmere (minus the sweetness). L'AdDM is arid and appropriately named. Very good execution, which I can appreciate even though this is not my category of scent. Happily there was no heavy incense, as I expected. Blasphemous as it is to say, I think this could be layered with other scents to good effect.

Ruban d'Orange by L'Occitane

Not as feminine and orangey as I expected, the vetiver keeps the orange aspect from becoming overly sweet. A very respectable fragrance, and, although I wouldn't buy it for myself, I can highly recommend your sampling it because I think many would enjoy wearing it. I venture to say it would make a good gift for any man of Basenotes persuasion or the general populous.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

Tutti-fruity juice spiked with some citrus. There is no doubt this fragrance is emanating from a perfume bottle and not a punch bowl. Not what you'd call a natural-smelling fragrance.

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Just piping in to mention that SDV's base is similar to that of VIP Room (which I prefer) = like sweet tobacco and Ambre Narguile.

Innocent Illusion by Thierry Mugler

Oh, this is cute. It's the stepping stool for young gals who have yet to approach Angel Innocent or Angel. It feels a little too light for me to wear, but it's completely successful in maintaining Angel's genetics while incorporating a cooling, summery powder.

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

Cruel? Colorless and Characterless to this nose. It must be another case of notes getting past my radar because this juice smells virtually meaningless to me.

rikspector's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Ah..Knize Ten. Back in the sixties and my youth, I discovered the Caswell-Massey catalog.

Full of old black and white etchings ..humorous and compelling they led me to Knize Ten.

I was intrigued and so I tried it.

I didn't know what to think,my olfactory palette was unsophisticated but I remember well the blend of leathery spice.

Many years passed and today I still have a bottle of Knize in my collection.

Nothing smells like Ten..it is what it is and one may have a Love -Hate relationship with it.

Foetidus is quite correct,applied gently it mantains a sophistication that defies age.

I too,have layered different colognes....Caswell-masseys patchouli makes a nice base for experimentation, but Knize alone and layered is a true king.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

A Victorian body splash rather than a fragrance. But unquestionably the zingiest zestiest lime of them all - St. John's, e.g. pales before it, while Crown's Spiced Lime is far subtler and more of an actual fragrance. This beauty gets five stars for doing what it does perfectly, never mind construction or longevity in this case.

RobX's avatar

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Nice fragrance - I think there is a touch of Fahrenheit in there - not too long lasting on me - yeah - it's OK

bront82's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Sometimes you just want to smell good ... not crazy, not challenging, not esoteric, just good. Hello, Pleasures! Though some might call him boring, he's just a basic t-shirt and jeans scent. No, he's not going to change the world, he might not even save the day, but he smells good enough to keep around.

sophywt's avatar

China China

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

It smells very strange on my skin. First it's the sweet licorice and something spicy(annis?). I think the Licorice note is quite weird, but still ok for me. But then, it turns into a horrible BURNT rubber smell which I can't stand at all!

It's not a fragrance suits for every girl... really need to sample before you buy it.

scentsitivity's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Baie de Genièvre (BdG) opens on me as a battle between two notes: juniper berry and cinnamon leaves. They fade in and out; sometimes the cinnamon dominates, then the juniper, back and forth. Sometimes they are superimposed upon each other and when they do I get the impression of an animalic accord: or as my son described it to me, “body odor”. It is interesting to me that only one other reviewer noted anything animalic. As the battle progresses, the juniper eventually wins. Quirky and different, yet simple - a Creed that pushes the envelope! I get decent longevity out of this, a non-millesime Creed.

While I like BdG quite a bit, it isn’t something I would wear frequently. Indeed, I think I would wear it just a few days a year. It would be nice if it came in 15 ml ‘mini’ bottles or at most an ounce.

I also feel passionate and romantic every time I wear BdG: it puts me in the mood! And even though I don't consider BdG to be feminine, per se, I think I would enjoy smelling it on a woman.

One word of caution: I have bought both samples and a bottle of this that were not at their freshest. Each of the notes has greater weight in this relative simple fragrance, so the degradation was pronounced. Make sure you are getting fresh BdG should you choose to buy it.

rodent's avatar

France France

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

this understated but unforgettable creation from Paul Smith is a winner. it's a bit of a bitter bergamot bomb in the beginning -- i almost imagine i smell like an earl grey teabag -- but it gets progressively softer and even vaguely sweet as it progresses. it's fresh, but quite different from the metallic citrus snoozers that mostly make up this category. like the clothes of its designer, it occupies the space where good taste meets edgy. while it is not a sillage monster, staying power is very good - people could smell it on me six or so hours after application. original, yet discreet -- as well as modern and versatile, eminently suitable both for the office and evenings out. works well in both warm and cold weather. highly recommended!

update: i have been puzzling over why i like this so much and what makes the opening different, given that so many other scents open up with bergamot, and have come to the realization that it's the very strong cardamom that fuses so well with the bergamot, giving it a cold, crisp and very distinctive opening. i stand by my original assessment that this is unique and a superb work fragrance that oozes refinement.

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2009)

Midnight_lulu's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

Chanel No.5 is a very odd creature to me; there is some nostalgia tied to it, as my grandmother wore it as her favorite. Since its release in the twenties, numerous public hand soaps and baby powders have mimiced the popular combination, interferring with modern first perceptions of No. 5----those that weren't spent in 1930's speakeasies and 1950's drive-ins. In fact, the scent was so popular in the early to mid part of last century, that some of those who first wore it at debutante balls are now using it to mask the unfortunate situation of incontinence, i.e., you might pick up "Chanel No.5" wafting from adult briefs and nursing homes. Of course, fragrance isn't simply for the young...but memories and associations remain its core means of communication. For me, an odd thing happens when any major combos of jasmine, neroli or tuberose come in contact with my skin---grubbiness abounds. Not necessarily dirtiness, but the odd sensation of bodily sebum encased in powder. Chanel No. 5 wears grubbily on me, despite the dancing charm of its aldehydes and their playful attempts to fool my nose. With such a saturation, I'd have expected there to be some "cut" or a sharp contrast to oily, powdery florals. No. 5 just stays sweaty and intimate the whole ride through and seems more suited to morning tea than an evening gala. It is lovely in its own way, but remains die-hard feminine without one drop of masculinity with which to inject some carnal aggression; it's like a big, motherly cuddle. I personally prefer a little more androgynous spunk to my poison. If I were thinking along the lines of "skintone, bedspread femininity", I'd find the honeyed mimosa of Guerlain's "Champs Elysees" as a more suitable skin-essence replacement to No. 5's ylang-ylang/rose combo. Either way, I'm sure I'll crave this womanly powder-bomb from time to time and I've yet to be able to dismiss it from my wardrobe completely. But if I were craving Chanel, I'd probably grab for "No. 19" or "Cristalle first".

HDS1963's avatar

Erolfa by Creed

What is the point of this fragrance?

Take away the Creed name and there is no way it would get the rave reviews it gets. Yes it's all very pretty at the opening - but no prettier or more attractive to the olfactory lobes than any of the Acqua di Parma Colonias.

After about ten minutes of this engaging opening coversation, it starts to fade like the Cheshire Cat until all you are left with is the faint memory of the grin you wore when you first put it on. I really tried to like this, I really did. But I've had fragrant wet wipes which have a scent which lasts longer than this. And I though the original Chanel pour Monsieur was short lived!

For me, the aforementioned AdPs are nicer, more engaging, more complex, last longer and project better than this.

This is not worth the ticket price. Thumbs down. And that's being kind.

HDS1963's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I bought this blind as I had been going through a phase of retro fragrances. I'd been through a purple patch of blind-buying and had bought some fabulous fragrances.

So when I opened this one up I was not prepared for the astringent blast of lavender which threatened to peel the skin from my eyeballs. Mon Dieu! That's some lavender!

Now don't get me wrong, I like Lavender, but not when it's as literally in your face as this one.

What is interesting is the artistry of the cross over between Lavender (are there really other notes supposed to be present in the opening???) and the emergence of Clary Sage and Cedar Wood in the heart-notes. To my nose I can't detect rose in there, but that maybe because my nose was still sulking from the assault from the Lavender.

It's quite a clever story being told really, because if you didn't know what the ending was you would never realise it was going to end up as vanilla, because the ending is kept really well, with none of the heart-notes letting on what's coming.

However, the vanilla is not a nice vanilla. This is a sickly sweet Givenchy Pi vanilla (which I hate). It's just too sweet. I like a slightly manlier, dirtier vanilla than this and just does work for me in this day and age - and it's so soft too when you get to the vanilla, it's barely there. The problem is too, that you don't want to reapply because then you have to go through the Pearl Harbour like attack on the senses from the Lavender again.

I gave this a fair go before deciding to sell it. In the end I did, because I couldn't live with it.

For the fragrance on it's own it's a thumbs-down. For the artistry of the progression from Lavender to vanilla and the very well articulated stages in-between it gets a thumbs-up. So overall it's in the middle.

musicman's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

I like this frag very much, pepper and anise with vanilla and woods. It shares aspects of many other fragrances I am fond of: Lolita, Brit, Envy, Gucci Homme I, etc... It's sweet, but not too icky. (Of course, I like Opium EDP, so I am tolerant of syrupy scents) I can see why people think it's kinda feminine because the woods are submerged in sugar, but light application is key to balancing the sweet and spicy. I bought this with shower gel and aftershave balm, and layering makes this frag explode!

Allure Homme by Chanel

A quick shot of citrus and pepper. Mostly pepper, though. Nice oriental and slightly sweet drydown that lasts for hours. This is all drydown to me. While average at the begining, for those of you who like longevity should wear this. Simple and elegant and modern.

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

Sweet fruits and tobacco. Quite nice and I wish my sample had a little more to go on.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Dripping with an amazing sweetness, this is probably the scent that Captain Kirk was smelling coming from the cloud creature in the episode "Obsession". That thing was scary.

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th July, 2008)