Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Who in the heck wants to smell like a soapy, wet concrete block? That's all I get from this. Sorry Mr. Lutens.

Pi by Givenchy

Calming, soothing and sweet scent. Though quite terrific, I need something more engaging. My personal preference should not discount the fact that this is a well made, though cloying fragrance.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

I realize how awful its longevity is. On a card, it lasted a good while. The scent lingered with me for the longest time and I wanted a bottle badly but still felt undecided. I went to the Internet and other sources for reviews and thought and found out, despite the fact that my sample card lasted a long time, that Reaction on;y reacts for so long. Maybe 30 minutes or and hour if you're lucky. And there have been accounts were people are lucky. I even asked the SA their option on Reaction and she honestly said that there have been more returns on that fragrance than any other they have ever had and this store has been around for a good 20 years and so had the SA.

Well, this is a great, fresh, fruity scent. I love the opening notes and everything about it. If Be Delicious wasn't so sour, I'd wear that instead of Reaction but reaction makes it just right without you feeling like a fruit basket.

Like many others have stated, I wish this lasted longer. I wonder what makes it fade so quickly...

Rochas Man by Rochas

Excellent gourmand. I accidentally bought some of the aftershave and find it to be very versatile for layering with any other gourmand fragrance out there. Coffee and vanilla. Love them both.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

I was captivated by the packaging and the bottle when I first opened it. It was a definite blind buy. The vertical striping reminded me of Gene Davis' "wallpaper" paintings though his paintings are much more vivid than this scent. (And I'm glad. Sometimes I don't need to announce my presence in a room or building!)

This is average and inoffensive. Pleasant mix of mild and sweet notes with a bit of spiciness that is quite wearable for daily use. Nothing extreme about it though it's very nice.

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2008)

Scent Intense by Costume National

I get great sillage and longevity from this. In fact, I rarely ever get comments on what I'm wearing but I found that people were sniffing the air around me asking, "oh I smell something." It's good. Slightly vanilla with a slight spice to it with amber. Definitely a unisex. I can't compare it to the normal Scent for intensity difference.

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

A non-sporty non-cliched fragrance based on a sport? This is great. It's skanky and potent like a prizefighter. For ten bucks this is a real bargain. You owe it to yourself to at least try it out.

From a design aspect, the bottle is neat. The sloping angles of the sides reflect the contours of the upper male torso. Very macho.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Love it! Perfect scent for cooler weather and is a compliment magnet. First time I ever wore this I received my first cologne related compliment ever. Nice, boozy and sweet without being overbearing. To me it's unique since I haven't really smelled anything like it before.

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

If "rouge" means "red" like blood here, then I can agree. That is, if blood refers to blood of a tree which we call sap. This smells like pine sap mixed with carmel. Feels very sticky and dirty. Not very pleasant at all.

From an atheistic view, though rich and syrupy like most Lutens I've tried, this one just doesn't feel right and out of character for a Lutens scent.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Weird. I read that this was meant to smell bad on purpose. Weird. I like this. Violet leaves can smell good to me. Goes on brightly green and subtlety earthy without being dirty. I find it odd that I really love this stuff since I disapprove of many other green fragrances namely Eternity.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Man, where do I start.

On me, this is a rosey-jackfruit fiasco. Simply disastrously sickening on me.

Imagine being trapped in a sea of roses in the shell of a titanic GMO jackfruit. Then suddenly, a spice carriage selling pepper, lime, and vetiver decides to crash in -- sending the rosy citrusy top into oblivion. The sweet fruity notes are far too sick and nauseating for me to handle without going "ugh" -- and this is coming from someone who enjoys Gaultier2 and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin as well as some of Serge Luten's syrup-drenched sweetness.

This is what I call sweetness done the wrong way. It also smells synthetic, so 90's, and so CK. Then guess what, it even gets worse after that the longer it stays on your skin! Yes, yes, I know I'm being harsh and that this scent at least deserves a neutral rating. It definitely wouldn't offend people around you, but there is a high chance that it would offend you, the potential victim/wearer of this scent.

Bottleworthy? To put it in the politest way I can -- hell no. :)

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 June, 2008)

faatay4's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

smell kinda like dzing,but this is overpowering,doesnt have brakes to slow down .a big must not in warm weather

Kaern's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

If I had to guess blindly what house produced this, I would have gone for Gucci or D&G -- it's so over the top and synthetic with it. Also, I find it incredibly dated for some reason. It wears you down -- with it's heaviness. Nyet -- something wrong here. Pass.

Kaern

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

Noraed's avatar

Rock 'n Rose by Valentino

Generally, the perfume is an acceptable perfume rather than a sophisticated one.
    It is a Floral - Rose Violet type of perfume.
    At the beginning, the scent is very rosy, light, and fresh. Then, when the base notes come out, the scent becomes more soft and romantic. Personally I wasn’t enjoying the rosy scent and I think the second part is better.

The best thing I could say about it is that it is ‘nice’, but it is not that special. I think there are more unique and tasteful perfumes out there. Also the perfume’s longevity is disappointingly weak.

It is probably suitable for those who like very light perfumes. However, it is definitely not recommended for those who like rich, heavy, and long-lasting perfumes.

bbBD's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

There's not much I can add by way of describing this classic other than to say this... Of all of my many fragrances, Polo brings more compliments from women than any other. Whether its from my receptionist, the college intern, department store clerks, etc., I always get positive feedback. This is a very masculine scent without being horribly overpowering the way others from its era can be (ie Korous and Azzaro ph).

I suggest going easy on application to enjoy. I usually use the after shave and don't need the EdT. The discontinued Polo Crest is basically a lighter version of the original Polo, and I'd suggest seeking out a bottle if you enjoy Polo but find it too strong.

fragrance's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

I don't understand why so many people hate this fragrance. It's not exactly a copy of 'any other aquatic out there', it has a very fresh and distinct smell.

The base notes strongly resemble those of Armani Code, this is overall a very clean and maybe a bit sporty frag, it's not overbearing nor does it cause headaches... On a casual day, or maybe at work (but perhaps not at a funeral), this is exactly what you'd want to smell like, if you're a man. Polo Blue.

Another extremely good frag in the polo series is Polo Double Black. Check into that if you liked this one (though they don't share similar qualities, DB is more for evening wear).

KLB084's avatar

Fire & Ice Smoulder for Her by Revlon

i love this perfume even though you cannot purchase it anymore most dissapointed :( i can only use my favourite perfume when going out to very special occasions as i dont want to use what i have got left although i would love to use it everyday if i could... Please produce more i will buy heaps

KLB084's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I have found this perfume perfect for me i only need a dab and it lasts all day even though i have found i cant smell it after a little while but at the end of the day people are still asking what perfume im wearing its good to know their is a perfume with an all day scent.. :) :)

LT1961's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

This is one of my favorite scents, I find it very different when you put it on first thing in the morning or a quick spash before going out at night. Certainly is a date scent or a more casual scent. I would feel funny having this on in an office environment.
    The initial aroma is quite sharp but after 5 minutes it shows its magic.

Kaern's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

Pi feels unfinished to me. I mean, where's the supposed wood?-- what is magnetic wood? It's an inoffensive vanilla and not unpleasant, but doesn't really go anywhere. Bland is the word I am looking for. It doesn't create enough emotion to thumbs down it though.

Kaern

28 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 October, 2011)

kewart's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic by Guerlain

This is a welcome addition to my summer wardrobe. The juicy topnotes (orange blossom, ivy, white peony,
    roman camomile and green tea) combine to smell very much like grapefruit to my nose.That is not to say that MB is similar to Pamplelune, it is less harsh and more cheerful. Orange blossom and mandarin are very "happy" notes.

After about five minutes, if I inhale deeply enough, the basil appears and seems to wrap itself around the lush mandarin and just stopping it from being overly sweet. I love the green/orange interplay at this stage!

Lasting power is quite good for an AA - after three hours I get a warm, woody drydown that lingers
    softly. Definitely a staple for the warmer months.

Markinlondon's avatar

Pulp by Byredo

Amazing, like a fruit smoothie, but better the red apple is great, not like DKNY but like the red apple snow whit would have ate! The praline comes through in waves then a blast like Philosykos from the fig, Totally unisex, amazing sillage and longevity, Just a superb fragrance, the best i have tried in many years. I bought it there and then. nothing compares in a fruity scent for a man. Extremely sexy on a woman too. Just buy it!

Jasmal by Creed

Am I alone in picking up the fecal top note (before the scent dries on the skin)? If you're bent on studying the many good jasmine variations in the marketplace, add this one to your sample list. Not too heavy, could be worn from day through night. Lovely execution, but only you will know if this is precisely the jasmine you've been looking for.

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Makes a sweet first impression, and therefore it undoubtedly garners compliments from passersby. Would you like to smell it? Just let me know, I'll uncork my sample, and if you're downwind and stick your head out the window, you'll smell it. It's that strong.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

The lemon top is too vivid and cutting for my tolerance. I prefer Goutal's Mandragore, which is slightly sweeter, deeper, and more interesting.

Duel by Annick Goutal

Completely forgettable for me, but if there's iris present, that may be the cause. Suffering an iris anosmia, there's just not much going on in this fragrance for me. On the plus side, there's off-putting about it.

Petit Ange by Nicolaï

The notes for "Little Angel" are lilac, tangerine and licorice. Sound like a less-than-harmonious grouping? I found it so. At least it's mild.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

New York by Nicolaï

This is a great perfume. It's as if Jean Kerleo had reengineered Bois du Portugal - to the point where what defines it invites comparisons with Patou pour homme rather than the popular Creed fragrance. The essence of the Creed lies in its Occam's razor-like reduction to a few brilliantly combined basics that make for a sharply contured, beautifully precise masculine smoky perfection. Despite clear similarities in actual smell to Portugal at some stages of New York's development its attitude is entirely different. Like Patou pour homme it indulges in the complexity of its construction and wealth of rich ingredients, shapeshifting between oriental and chypre, layering citrus upon powdery florality, spicy wood and animalics, even crossing gender lines. It achieves this, amazingly, within a more conservative frame of gentlemanly deportment than Patou (which has a far more daringly herbaceous opening and turns sweeter in its cinnamon-clove-jasmin heart) but that is just another indicator of the particular genius of this creation. I would not want to be without any of these three masterpieces, which are related, yet so very distinct. My only wish would be that Patricia de Nicolai do something called "San Francisco" next.

Ansatsu's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Kiton Men by Kiton

I agree with most people here, finding this a very good fragrance. Just be sure not to spray too much of it, because of it's sweetness. When added in the right amount it's a very fresh, but not to overwhelming fragrance. It's got some green notes in it and a very good duration.

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

I really LOVE this fragrance. I live in a warm climate (south Fla.) and it is a perfect year-round fragrance. Love the "wet" and woodsy notes. People really notice the scent when I wear it and compliment it. Pretty good longevity too.

29 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2008)