Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

odysseusm's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

Palisander is a complex scent. It has a lovely woody opening, with a fresh green note. Some heady hints of myrrh and saffron start to emerge. The aromatic incense notes dance with the cedar wood notes. The myrrh continues to develop. It is a bit sweet and powdery, but that just adds an elegant note to the wood. The dry-down is lovely. I like this a lot.

scentsitivity's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This reminded me a lot of cK one Scene (less the ginger), although they share but two notes (mandarin and amber wood, per the scent pyramid). At any rate, Calvin Klein Man while fresh, clean and inoffensive, Man does not have the depth (or duration) of cK one Scene. In a word, unremarkable.

atrac's avatar

Patchouli by Demeter Fragrance Library

I tried this one at Marshall's today and I was stunned when the tester spot on my hand smelled like dirt! I know that Demeter actually has a "dirt" scent so I wonder if it was mislabeled?

And yes, my hand was dirt free before spraying. :)

Scentologist's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lime by Comme des Garçons

CDG Series 8 Energy C: Lime

Lime notes:
    Lime, bergamot, green lemon, water jasmine, rose tea, lily of the valley, musk, cedar, white amber.

The initial burst starts out with a typical lime aroma found in most lime scents. However, CDG Lime quickly departs from this cooling note that many of us enjoy. There is not a lot to analyze here as the musk, cedar, and white amber accord quickly take center stage. I am a huge fan of Comme des Garcons and their use of woods and incense. They are renowned for pulling off unthinkable notes that seem an oddity to create a timeless masterpiece. This is not the case with Lime. In my estimation, cedar does not belong in this composition and tends to roughen the edges a bit. As the refreshing lime almost instantly subsides, I step and try to ascertain the overall picture. If I didn’t know better, I would think I was smelling a lime fizz soda, a creamy key lime pie, or some type of candy but as I mentioned previously, the musk, cedar, and white amber take the stage with cedar being the note that for me, in spite of my liking for this wood, ruins the composition. The longevity if actually decent but wears close to the skin. As a citrus fragrance, I award this a disappointing 2/10.

runstile's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Tested this the other day at Perfumania, where the SA (who likes BLV Bulgari and other light scents) was repulsed. I don't care, she was also repulsed by Shalimar and many other great feminine scents. I happened to love this one. I won't bother listing the notes, but it is oddly fresh and spicy at the same time. I think it is the florals that keep me coming back, I love geranium. For some reason it conjures up vivid feelings of nostalgia; to me, this is the most important part of fragrance. I think I remember smelling it on my dentist? Not sure, but I will buy a bottle soon enough!

DULLAH's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Cool Water by Davidoff

Forever a modern Classic.
    IDC if it was a copy.

If anything, I'd like the OG Cool Water with a heavier dose of leafy mint.

lilkcceleb's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Well this is my second Creed purchase and i have to say that I like this alot more than I did SMW. Initially I smell a citrus/bergamot note. Then once that fades it smells kind of leather-ish on me. I do find this cologne to be more suitable for the Fall or Winter season. I smell no signs of it smelling anything like Bvlgari BLV. Great fragrance and great buy. if you can, sample it first. I first smelled this in Texas and i didn't think he was selling a real bottle, so I ordered it from Neiman Marcus, my favorite store!

29th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

matelot's avatar

Gibraltar Gibraltar

Eau du Soir by Sisley

Bought this for my wife's birthday. Classy and long lasting. First I thought it would be cloying and overpowering but it isn't. More for a mature lady.

One of Queen Sophia of Spains favourites.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Oh yeah! A "classic scent" that I love. Classic here I refer to the powdery feel and the vanilla. Citrus and vanilla together here though, it's great. Strong at first but settles down nicely and can be a monster of a scent. Has a myriad of personality and projects itself differently on different people. I feel like an intellect wearing it but that's just my own psychosis.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wait, is this Spark from Liz Claiborne? Anyways, lots of sweet honey. A little nutty. However, it sounds heavy but it's not. Way too light on the skin and I barely register any of the wood notes. Feels like I took a wet paper towel used to wipe up a spilled jar of honey and rubbed it on my chest.

Castile by Penhaligon's

Smells like roses! Then something else, like a musk. Then more roses! It's really neroli no wait it's citrus rose. Wow! Interesting. Very classy and beautiful.

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Spicy and citrusy and quite sharp at first but not a zesty sharp citrus. More bitter/sour and airy. I like it but not that interesting. Doesn't last that long on my skin. I can smell the musk throughout the whole think which smells quite nice.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Odd that the smell of Catholic churches are used for a fragrance called path to hell. Well, the incense dies and I'm left with a watery version of some kind of musky and peppery scent. Probably would fair better on someone's skin who isn't as dry.

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Yuck. Smells like anything else that's deemed sporty. A lot like Lacoste Essential mixtured with the opening of Truefit & Hill 1805 Cologne. Well, yes it's clean and simple but not too engaging if that's what you're looking for.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

I sure get the Vanilla Coke smell everyone else is getting but this gourmand isn't as pungent as most others I've tried. Reminds me of a slightly fizzy and smoky Pi. I find Pi to very cloying but this is quite wearable. Settles down smoothly and stays there for a long while. Though I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain a bottle, I have to give this a plus. It keeps my interest especially when the woody notes pops in and out.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Sweet powdery pineapple and strawberry dust.

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

Fizzy and bright! Exciting and fruity! Sweet and calm... After the intial hour of the amazing opening notes of sweet, slightly bitter fruitiness, it dries down to a fresh fougere type of scent. Much like a sunset. Pretty at first and calming night afterwards. Quite good.

chaoskitty's avatar

Delirium by Mango

I'm not sure what it's supposed to smell of but on me it is like a hair salon, and not a particularly good one. Sharp, nose hurting and hairspray like.

Kaern's avatar

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

I am not normally a citrus lover but this is really lovely and the neroli note is beautiful and totally dominant but softened in the drydown by the musk. It is actually nicer than ADP imo. I have just purchased in London, so not discontinued. Superb for summer.

Kaern

Kaern's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This one errs on the generic side but the rich christmas cake fruitiness just tips it back. Not normally what I would seek out but the drydown is very acceptable and it definitely has something about it. Women seem to love this more than me -- it is unashamedly masculine. Won't go back to it, but have to thumbs up.

Kaern

29th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

Noraed's avatar

Lavender by Body Shop

I have to agree with (ninamichaela), the perfume seems to be suitable for men more than women.

It is a masculine scent rather than a feminine scent and I wouldn’t wear such a masculine scent. Also, I know a guy who wears it and he likes it.

In short, it smells like a men’s perfume. So thumbs down as a women's perfume and thumbs up as a men's perfume.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

On paper I should like this, but I not only dislike it but need to wash it off every time I give it a try. I received it as a gift so I have a full 2.5 sitting under my sink. I keep thinking I'll change my mind but alas...

Very powdery, slightly citrus opening that settles down into a powdery pepper/woods. It's at this point I need to wash off. For those who care, the sillage is ok... I can't speak to longevity.

The new Ed Hardy is very similar in opening to Code, but for whatever reason I very much enjoy it. EH develops in a more pleasant, rich, masculine manner into something I enjoy smelling on myself.

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

I was prepared to not like this as I don't care for any other Azzaro offering. However, after giving the sample I received a couple tries, I bought a bottle at a local discount store.

The scent is dry throughout its life, so the ever-present apple top notes remain noticeable but not overbearing (as is the case with fruity scents like dunhill desire). The apple notes fade into a light woods and musk that doesn't project far off the skin but lasts a long time. This is one scent that could work at the office or a night out, in the summer or the winter. There is nothing spectacular about onyx that would keep it in my regular rotation, but I could never see objecting to wearing it.

The bottle is very 80s - a huge monolithic black cube that is miami vice masculine.

Perry Ellis 18 Man by Perry Ellis

Very similar to Z Zegna. A little sharp, somewhat synthetic citrus/musk that is linear. Nothing great. Nothing terrible.

LBD's avatar

The Scent of Peace by Bond No. 9

Fruity and pleasant initially but doesn't seem to last on me (except for the musky base notes). Fares better and keeps its balance on my husband - thus the thumbs up. Still I enjoy wearing Scent of Peace for the first hour or two, and it doesn't bother me that it smells a lot like Light Blue.

I'm not normally one to mix, but I quite like SOP best layered with Bond's Chelsea Flowers, which is pretty but a bit too white-flowery for my personal taste. The SOP bottle is lovely.

sweettooth52000's avatar

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

Eh, Abercrombie wasn't doing quite so great back when they designed Woods. I recently obtained a bottle after reading all of the reviews, and seeing how fast it sells on Ebay. Honestly it wasn't impressive, the immediate scent I thought of when I sprayed this was soap. Cheap generic soap. THen it dries down to Amber, and a hint of wood. Then that's about it, just fades out into a generic light airy wood. Little bit of pine added in. I think it would've been better if it actually smelled more like Wood then soap, but that's my opinion. For the cost(say around 90$ if your lucky, 200$ if you purchase from a retailer) it's really not worth it. If you're a savy buyer, go buy a auction bottle, and resale, bout all that this fragrance is good for.

29th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th June, 2008)

Joshaugustt's avatar

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

This is that rare Men's scent that is simple, clean, fresh, but LONG LASTING and will stay with you all day.It's the "ultimate light" in that it's not overpowering...but it's always there with it's step out of shower freshness. If you like fresh scents that are very unique and last...then this is worth a try.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Juozas Statkevicius / Josef Statkus by Juozas Statkevicius

I agree with all of the other reviews. It IS a unixex fragrance which makes it all the more amazing. Lucky Scent and Beauty Habit carry it and you might want to try a sample before purchasing the real deal. I love it and it's sure worth a sample.

sjfreeman's avatar

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Its Back!!! EA Fragrances has Re-released it and you can find it online at various outlets and ebay for under 50.00 per bottle for 4 oz sprays in the Ext edt version.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Vétiver by Creed

This Creed does nothing for me. The opening is very 1948 indeed - it smells like a postwar ramshackle barbershop - residues of spilled cologne, shaving cream, quinine, perm chemicals, dust - yuck. Thankfully it morphs into a soapy floral skinscent after a few minutes, with a touch of cedar and "grey stone" - not bad, but at this point it's already beginning its disappearing act, without any vetiver ever having come to the fore. Two years after this dreary affair came the bold and wonderfully technicolor Orange Spice. I'll stick with that for postwar Creeds, thank you.