Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

ubuandibeme's avatar

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

I cannot say it any better than JaimeB! To his eloquent review I can only add how perfectly the aniseed note is presented ~ breathtaking! A timeless masterpiece that any perfume lover should seek out, sniff, marvel and appreciate!

Fiorello's avatar

Oltre by Laura Tonatto

Oltre ranks up there with Profumum's Acqua di Sale and Erolfa as one of the highest quality, marine fragrances I have tried. I concur with Foetidus that it is not a cheaply made, synthetic marine. That is my prime directive in choosing one from this category. It has to actually smell like being by the sea, not like being at a mall.

Oltre is beautifully crafted and super salty like Acqua di Sale. I did detect a discordance but found myself reacting to it positively and playfully--much like walking along the beach in the sun and then passing through a shaded area near a tide pool where the darker elements have had time to meld in the on-again, off-again, salty, wet environment--and then walking in the sun again where the negative ions from the waves collide with a humid breeze of pine/myrtle greenness combined with optimistic, serene muguet. I can sympathize with Scentsitivity on the level of the of the muguet, as probably most guys would. Although floral-sweet scents tend to stay true on my skin and I am a floral-loving guy, this came across as being a bit too feminine for me as well. Unlike Erolfa there is no ambergris (or sandalwood) in the base which keeps it cool as others have noted.

In the end I chose Acqua di Sale (I had already owned Erolfa) over Oltre, at more than twice the price, because it had the longest duration and it's the saltiest. True saltiness is what I yearn for most in a marine fragrance. I found Oltre to have average duration and sillage.

If you are at all interested in marine fragrances you should most definitely give Oltre a try--and all the Laura Tonattos.

btw Oltre means Beyond in Italiano.

scentsitivity's avatar

Sélection Verte by Creed

As of this writing, there are 10 fragrances in the basenotes directory with Verte as part of their name. I’ve tried four of them so far and I inferred there would be a bunch more, since the word ‘verte’ was not the basis for trying them. Creed’s UK website characterizes Sélection Verte as a “fresh, sophisticated citrus fragrance with light, clean notes of mandarin, lemon and bergamot combined with peppery mint and sweet pea.” I am not especially fond of prominent mint in fragrance and here it is a dominant note. It is fresh, cool, quite potent and I think well-executed. Eventually the mint loses its dominance and the sweet pea comes out; mint remains but in a subtle role. It is at this stage that I am most impressed with the fragrance – the drydown is something to look forward to. I get about 6 hours out of it altogether, a little less than I would like, but not bad.

I think Sélection Verte is a good choice for a mint lover. I think if you are looking for citrus-dominance, go elsewhere – here mint rules. But it feels fresh, clean, lively and very natural, so I give it good marks.

Morticia's avatar

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I've got half a bottle of the3.4 ou EDP and another stashed. I'm sad this fragrance is discontinued. It's a victim of it's own elegance in an inelegant age.

I often fall for the resinous note of galbanum, which is the note I think other reviewers mention as mysterious and possibly also in VW's Boudoir. It is also in Rochas' Mystere de Rochas, a dry woodsy/violety chypre which has a couple of notes in common with Safari.

Safari seems to have significant rose at her heart. Who couldn't imagine the Baroness von Blixen wearing it? I'd always wished the gracious, beautiful EDP bottle had a cap which could be unscrewed so I could reuse the bottle.

Safari lasts and lasts. It's rich but never vulgar.

chengfun's avatar

Broadway Nite by Bond No. 9

The aldehyde in this reminds me of Chanel No. 5, except this is alot sweeter and slightly almondy, like amaratto biscuits. The dry down is quite powdery. Longevity and sillage are excellent. I've never been a fan of No. 5 (I must be one of the few since it is so popular) and so too I am ambivalent about this one. I can't see myself adding it to my wardrobe at the moment.

30th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2008)

Morgaine's avatar

Louve by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Total Amaretto upon spraying. After the initial sharp, sweet, candied (almost synthetic?) almond note has faded, it turns into a vaguely medicinal concoction on my skin - which has nothing to do with almonds and everything with a memory I can't quite put my finger on. Cough syrup, an alcoholic bitter... something similar to that. Unpleasant.
    As the scent progresses, I'm picking up the original almond opening again, but mellowed, powdery and devoid of all the sugar and the candied wetness. This is the part of the scent that I like best, I wish it would smell like that for the entire duration. Alas, it fades soon into an inoffensive musky odour.

It's a wild ride, I'll have to give it that. It has me intrigued, but I can't say it's an entirely pleasant experience.

HDS1963's avatar

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

Quite simply, this is one of the most beautiful fragrances ever created for men.

This is sweet, alcoholic in its whisky accord, spicy like the most exotic of dusky maidens and with an itch-you-cannot-scratch addictive nose to skin appeal that most design houses would kill to achieve.

This is so unique and beautiful a fragrance it almost seems a travesty to recommend it to others.

It lasts for ages, it has good sillage, but it gives so, so much more. Its evolution is complex and teasingly long lasting. The final drydown lasts the eons of time it takes stars to devolve.

This is a beautiful fragrance, achingly so.

Top note surfers may miss the point completely. They are the kind of people for whom a Crazy Larry car advert is too demanding on their attention span.

Le Dandy is quite simply a masterpiece.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

This smells purely, absolutely, like bathroom cleaner. I have rarely hated anything I put on my skin as much as this one. I do not believe for one second that these are high quality ingredients; and who was the 'perfumer'?? I wanted to love this one, great bottle and name... all wasted!

30th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th August, 2009)

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

Lovely as this is, I don't think it's of the same genius (genius!) as Eau des Merveilles. It seems a touch too sweet and heavy (and orange popsicle-ey) for me, although the wafts I got from the left-overs on my hand after vigorous soapy washing were quite captivating. All in all, I don't quite see why this one was necessary.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Yes this smells watered down, cheap and synthetic... but I love it. Its ginger root remained a mystery to me until I actually smelled some real ginger and it reminded me of Envy. I absolutely love the bottle with the large, black, rectangular cap.

But since Serge Lutens Five O'Clock au Gingembre has come out, I might not get more Envy but I'm sure I'd receive more as a gift.

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

A fruity vanilla that slightly powdery a bitter note at the end. With a hint of spiciness this makes a good casual scent.

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

I have a freaky trifecta thing going on with this one and two other scents. When I wear Sander for Man, I feel like I'm wearing Guiice pour Homme II or Hugo Dark Blue. I love the note in all three that they seemingly have in common. My guess it's a combination of mint and incense/myrrh. I like all three equally (and they all have the same juice color).

Sander for Man has a nice sweet but cutting scent with a mint of mint that fades. Very casual and likable.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rich, creamy, woody, heavy on the amber. I was told that I'd like this scent if I enjoyed the amber of ck Obsession. Well, I do enjoy the opening of Chergui but it feels like it fades quickly. At it's base, it's certainly a Lutens scent as I've felt like I've worn it before (I've tried many other Lutens and I like this). For me, this house has it's huge ups and downs but never a so-so scent. While classy, this one doesn't do it for me. Great for a romantic cool fall winter evening with a beautiful lady.

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

Fresh, gnawing spice that is quite competent at not being totally chemical smelling. Doesn't seem to last very long, maybe 2 hours. Quite nice though and worth the price in the bargain bins.

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

This is a not overly sweet, creamy lemon as opposed to other scents that are a hugely dry lemon (Homme de Gres) and fresh citrus (like Lacoste original). Nice and pleasant. Not sharp. I like all kinds of lemon but prefer the zestier lemons. However this doesn't fail to please.

saxifrage's avatar

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

This is a very versatile, unusual, classy fragrance for spring and summer. The scent is very reminiscent of fresh greens, florals, and woods. It is very reminiscent of walks in the forest after a springtime rainshower. I think the scent could be unisex, but it does lean toward the masculine side. As odysseusm states, the lavender used is very smoky, and in my opinion, masculine. There's an odd mix of everything sweet, citrusy, aromatic, juicy, and fresh that comes with all this greenery and florals, yet there are aspects of drier scented woods that aren't sweet at all. This could be a refreshing scent for the office. It is not cloying, opulent, or even remotely oriental.

30th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th December, 2009)

Noraed's avatar

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

Very light, fresh, soft, and flowery scent with some scent of woods.
    It is a Floral - Woody Musk type of perfume.
    This perfume is undeniably feminine, tender, and romantic.
    I think this perfume is adorable and is rarely disliked by people. The only criticism is that it does not last long.

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

I fully agree with fusion here!

It smells great and can be bought cheaply on ebay!

Last night my friend asked me the name of this scent because he wanted to get it himself as well!

7/10 in general and 9/10 when going out!

Perfect fragrance when going to a club and for people between the age of 16 - 30!

jrr2112's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I'm a university student, and have to agree that this cologne is wayyyy too common among young guys. I like the scent itself, but when entire hallways reek of it, it gets to be headache-inducing. Also, I found that when applied to my skin, the reaction with my skin's natural chemicals caused the scent to vanish only minutes after it was put on.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Bois de Cédrat by Creed

Cedrat (citrus medica) is neither lime (citrus aurantiifolia or latifolia) nor your normal household lemon (citrus limon), but a thick-peeled variety best known in the form of candied lemon peel. The people of the Mediterranean use it in a variety of ways, liqueur de cedrat (from Corsika) not being the worst of them. As I have now learned, from Nigel Groom's Handbook and the wonderful Perfumes of Yesterday by David G. Wiliams, cedrat oil no longer refers to oil of cedrat, but a composition of citrus oils/synthetics. As Williams writes (p. 201): "Genuine Cedrat Oil disappeared from perfumery no doubt because it was found not to supply any interesting fragrance notes that could not be produced by the use of other materials at lower cost." He quotes from Piesse's 1855 Art of Perfumery that it had a "very beautiful lemony ordour" and "was principally used in the manufacture of essences for the handkerchief." Creed's Bois de Cedrat, if the listing on cale.it is correct uses bergamot, Sicilian lemon and mandarin over a cedar base and the result is an immensely refreshing, zesty citrus with a soft woody underbelly. The citrus is the star, of course, it's very natural (compare it to the artful fiction that is Terre d'Hermes) and, amazingly, lasts a while. Bois de Cedrat is a good compromise between Trumper's West Indian Lime, which is pure citrus and gone in a flash, and Monsieur Balmain, which is a fantastic - and very affordable - lemon beauty with a lot more going on in the drydown. There are of course many very nice citrus scents (classic sharp Eaux de Cologne like Guerlain Impériale or Eau des Fleurs de Cedrat, Eau d'Hadrien etc.) and when you scour the markets of Southern France you will find local products on par with this at a fraction of the cost of a Creed. Buying this at full price is thus a luxury, but pleasure it will certainly give.

first submitted May 31, 2008

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th July, 2009)

sophywt's avatar

China China

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

disappointing!

It's too fruity and sweet on me, just like "candy floss" as lots people described. I get the tea note which I like, but it was blocked by that cloying-and-never-cease sweetness... I just wonder where the flower is. If I want some candy, I'd rather go for a bottle of hilton's heiress, at least it's much cheaper!

Maybe all these are due to body chemistry. but since quite a lot people felt same as me, I think is wise to have a test befor purchase.

carlos-uk's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

The second Guerlain fragrance in my collection, the frist being Habit Rouge.

I bought this as a gift set which came with a 100ml Shower Gel, 125ml EDT and a rather nice Wash Bag. I bought it blind on the basis of the reviews here and I have to say, thanks everyone!

My first Vetiver fragrance was by L'Artisan Parfumeur. As such it turned me off big time. I found it heavy, bitter and cloying. The Guerlain take however is nothing short of delightful.

Yes, it is soapy and clean and I like that. Now, without wanting to risk being slated I have to say I am reminded of YSL Kouros Cologne Sport. That particular fragrance has been well and truly panned in the reviews on this site. The Guerlain is similar to my nose but with all the Heritage (apologies for the pun) that Guerlain represents.

It's interesting to me how a single note can be interpreted in so many different ways. This fragrance couldn't be further from the L'Artisan Vetiver in that, for me at least, its wearable and enjoyable!

I find Habit Rouge to be perfectly delightful but without the wow factor of so many current fragrances. When I spray it on it makes me feel comfortable for some reason. It is not something however I feel able to wear everyday. Vetiver is that everyday fragrance that I'm looking for. Its clean, slightly sporty tones keep my arm going to my nose to smell more. Its something I can wear without fear of offending but without making too bold a statement. Yes, understated but self assured this is.

What a joy for me and solid evidence of the whole purpose and value of the Basenotes Review forum.

carlos-uk's avatar

Vétiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This was my introduction to Vetiver and I would have to say that it was a baptism of fire for me.

I wish I could agree with the previous reviews here but I found this fragrance to be dark, heavy, clying, acrid and generally unpleasent.

In fact it was a blind buy for me and perhaps the only blind buy to date I've ever truly regretted. I do however acknowledge that it didn't work for me due to it not being my taste and perhaps not great on my skin type. I would suggest that you get a sample before purchase as this is Vetiver in a very raw form.

I'll give it a neutral as it's hardly the worse thing I've ever smelt, I save that honour for Insense by Givenchy.

scentsitivity's avatar

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

It is interesting to me that several reviewers view Wall Street as similar to a Creed, but there is no consensus view on which one: Erolfa, Millesime Imperial and even Silver Mountain Water. To me, it is most similar to Erolfa, but as a caricature of it. The opening has a salty oceanic character and that is somewhat similar to Erolfa, but unlike Erolfa I find it to be harsh and devoid of any sweetness. The saltiness of sea kale coupled with cucumber reminds me of celery. Since I try to find something distinctly ‘New York’ in Bond no. 9 fragrance (and usually I cannot do so), what comes to mind here is the celery soft drink that is served in New York delis (or at least that is the impression the labels on cans of Cel-Ray soda gave me). At any rate, I find the opening to be harsh and unpleasant. After a long wait (hours), some sweet fruitiness emerges, but this feels rather weak, synthetic and totally related to the early development. I am unimpressed.

Mudassir's avatar

Heir by Paris Hilton

This is a positive surprise. Class isn't the word that would normally be associated with Paris Hilton. Crass would be more like it. But unlike Paris Hilton herself, this fragrance is pretty classy. Any lover of 80's classic fresh scents would enjoy this one. This is quite reminiscent of Nina Ricci Signoricci.

Morgaine's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Instant headache potion.
    I owned and loved this for a few months when I was 13 or 14, back when it was fashionable. I'm not sure what happened, but overnight I couldn't wear it anymore. I think it is the cloyingly sweet woodsy note that burns itself into my brain and attempts to fry it. Sadly, I now am at the point where I can get physically ill even smelling the *cloud* emanating from someone else wearing it on the street or (god forbid) in a closed space like a train.

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th September, 2009)

erichtonius's avatar

France France

Lavanda Imperiale / Imperial Lavender by Santa Maria Novella

I love this pure and refreshing lavender in the end of the day, or at the countryside. It's the only lavender fragrance which truly smells like a lavender bouquet from a Provence garden. This lavender has not these spicy and heavy notes of classic English Lavender. It's a very simple fragrance, yet elegant and distinguish in its simplicity, but not as rich and smart as CREED's "Royal Scottish Lavender", or feminine and floral like FLORIS's own "Lavender". SMN's "Lavanda Imperiale" is a casual and classic fragrance.

JanAlways's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a real Cheshire cat of a fragrance. One minute it's not there at all, the next it's large as life, grinning malaevolently at you.

This is like Ungaro III's wayward brother, the one who took to a life of crime. It makes a terrific counterpoint to the elegant Ungaro. Love them both and happy to have them in my collection.

sandy1951's avatar

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

I love this one too, even more than Chloe. It is more complex and the drydown and silage magnificent. I believe it is classed a Floriental? The first blast is floral then it becomes spicy and then the glorious vanilla/musk/sandalwood combo kicks in and heaven has just happened. Although it seems to be in production, it is hard to find in the stores anymore. But very cheap online. All the Lagerfield lines are slipping from department store to online or drugstore, which is fine by me. Very much bang for your buck. There is not a loser in the bunch. I can revel in it and not worry that using it up will wreck my budget and revel I do....

sandy1951's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I was reading The Shipping news in the early nineties and Tresor was the signature scent of the doomed party girl wife of the protagonist. The description of the scent sent me straight out of the house and to the department store for a sniff. I was hooked. What is probably apricot smells like peach to me and the rose is subdued. Then the peach fades and the rose really comes out. Soft sweet rose. Then the lilac blends in. Wonderful. The drydown though on me is not floral nor fruity, it is warm sweet almost musky. It lasts a long long time and a little goes a long way especially in the warmer months. I wore it a lot back then, then got hooked of all things on New West...and that is another story entirely. Anyway I have circled back to Tresor and begged the Christmas pixies for a bottle and have been happily wearing it day or two every week. Very comforting to me and the grandkids love it.