Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

sandy1951's avatar

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Luca Turins review of Tommy Girl made me very curious, so I decided to try this to see what all the hoopla was about, fortunately to find it I didn't have to go very far, my 7 year old granddaughter got a bottle for Christmas. So I marched to her room knocked on her door and asked if Nanny could have a spritz. She graciously squirted a goodly amount on my arm and off I went, sniffing away. The very first scent was....rubbing alcohol. I kid you not. Lasted maybe a minute or so then a weak green tea started. Thirty minutes later a stronger green tea, an hour later....green tea. After about 3 hours something weakly floral and sort of sparkly popped up but didn't stay long sort of faded to ....green tea. However it was sweetly floral on my granddaughter so I think body chemistry reared it's ugly little head. For me no. Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea is a wonderful scent on me and I believe that is the tea formula I will stick with. But for others this is a nice little floral. And oddly enough, on my granddaughter no scent of green tea at all, just flowers.

sandy1951's avatar

Chloé (new) by Chloé

I cannot tell any difference between this and the old formulation. Maybe something has been forgotten, but this is just like the original to me. It is a perenial favorite of mine, along with all the Lagerfield creations. It is beautifully sweet, and floral and the drydown, like the drydown of Tresor, is not floral, but sweet warm amber. Love it. It doesn't have the sillage of Tresor, lasts only 4 to 6 hours on me, with a sweet warm barely there scent for a couple of hours more.

Candie's Men by Candie's

I'd rather suck on a candy than have one stuck in my nose all day. I wore this to work once and never received a comment from the fairer sex. Doesn't appeal to this almost-thirty year-old.

Chrome by Azzaro

It's OK. Smells somewhat ordinary. Certainly fresh and lemon/orange. A step up of other fresh fougeres like Brut and Avatar and quite similar to ck One. Inoffensive.

Gendarme by Gendarme

Review for the "cologne spray": Clean, slightly soapy scent. If Nivea's unscented aftershave had any smell, I bet they would use this. For a clean scent, I'd rather have Mulger Cologne.

Review for the EdP: Definitely much better! Not just because it's stronger but the formula seems to feel much better on the skin. Instead of a fresh out of the shower scent, you get an invigorating CLEAN AS HELL smell. Fresh lemons, soap accords and... leather? OK not really. But the EdP makes me like an alternative to most other aquatics that throw in sweet stuff or woody stuff into their fragrances. This stuff I gladly have next to my Mugler Cologne.

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 September, 2009)

Hollywood for Men by Fred Hayman

Cheap and blue. Not very exciting but it's a nice mix of synthetic florals and herbs. Though a little watery, it's quite competent in being a good fragrance. One of the few fragrances I'd give a thumbs up with a low rating.

Kiton Men by Kiton

This does not last on me at all which is hugely disappointing. It's a nice light scent. Maybe that's why? Spicy woods with citrus and and a floral roaming about.

Pure Lavande by Azzaro

Trash on the skin, nice as a room spray. I grow lavender and this is NOT how it smells. It's nothing but a soupy vanilla and musk.

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Green and airy. I get a strange pineapple-like accord at first. Refreshing but cheap smelling. Towards the end I get musky, buttery wood.

Ungaro I by Ungaro

Deep and mossy and quite layered with a foreboding elegance that one can only get wearing a crisp new black pin-striped suit while smoking a flavored cigar. In a word, innerving. Downside for me is that it's a bit too potent and gives me a headache.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

The sharp, crisp scents of lavender and sage are quite shocking. I wish that lasted forever instead of getting the sandalwood and amber base accord.

René Lezard Masculin by René Lezard

This slightly boozy, spicy and fresh scent is not very distinguishable from many other scents that use the same accord namely Spark, Burberry London and Paul Smith London. Not very projecting or lasting long. Totally trite and blasé.

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

This masculine floral is jarringly too sweet for me and is slightly illing. I don't like it. Love the smooth vanilla, though, which lasts a good deal.

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

Doesn't last long and simply just dies after an hour. Though nice in the opening with a take on a clean, peppery smell, it just really needs to last longer to get any feeling out it. Boring and cheap. If it lasted longer it'd be on par with Mediterraneum.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Do I detect a slight hint of a leather/velvet vanilla? Well, it's good. Mostly a very smooth sandalwood and green citrus.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Nice sour and bitter grapefruit like nose with coffee. Quite weird be wearable. I like it but it's drydown is a weak sandalwood but lasts a while.

Essential by Lacoste

Yet another "sporty" fragrance that I liked at first but realized that there are so many better fresh fragrances out there than this. Inaptly named.

White Musk by Montale

I guess "white" here means "undetectable". I can barely smell this one. Maybe too soft for some people.

Chrome Legend by Azzaro

Did they only add apples to the original and mix it wrong or something. Well, it really doesn't matter, if this was called something totally different I wouldn't mind. It smells great but just as "weak" as Chrome. Not a huge sillage monster but still pleasant. Fruity citrus with a slight sweet wood. Nice.

Visit by Azzaro

I don't find this synthetic, and any fragrance can get boring, at least to me. This in some ways is the "perfect" fragrance, because up front you've got great spices, wood, and incense, then it warms up and softens up. A subtle musky quality lasts a long time, beyond the first strong couple of hours. There's nothing else going on that would be a distraction, yet it's not too dry, sharp, or harsh, as is so often the case for "niche" fragrances. It's not an "oriental," but in some ways forges its own category, because it's not really a "hybrid" either. Be forewarned that this is not a "newbie" fragrance. My first few samplings didn't go well, and I dismissed it as being too woody and too "dirty incense." However, I keep coming back to fragrances that I think have potential, and when I last sampled this, about
    a year and a half after this new "hobby" of mine, I realized just how good it is. I guess that I got tired of the "masculine" oriental fragrances that dried down to something too sweet and vanilla-ish. Visit uses a little amber and musk to keep the party going, as well as to keep things sweet enough and "wet" enough to avoid the usual "niche" pitfalls. So, it's in between the typical designer masculine oriental and the typical niche woody/incense. And who would've guessed that's a great place to be?

My old "newbie" review: I didn't get much from this except for the incense and a little woodiness. After these notes subsided, about 2.5 hours later, there wasn't much going on. I prefer the sweet and spicy Oriental with a patchouli-dominated drydown (Adidas Victory League) or Cuba Red (dry, spicy wood), both of which have much better longevity (or it may be that Visit was too subtle on the drydown, which is basically the same thing, at least for me). I could've sprayed more, but the incense is not appealing at all, so I wouldn't want any more of it. This is definitely not a fragrance to take a chance and blind buy, unless you can't get just enough of fragrances that have strong incense.

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

Witness by Jacques Bogart

Wow! This one is special. Not much to add to the previous reviews. Excellent longevity and the sillage is just right (for me at least). I'll also mention that I got a splash EDT, and I thought there was something that just wasn't working, so I put some in an atomizer and that seemed give it that extra something that seemed to be needed.

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2008)

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

I've got Silver Black, not Onyx. No need to overspray, which I could see might cause problems. I use 3 sprays. Well blended, yet you get hints of individual notes, or at least you think you do. There is also a nice aromatic quality to it, but it's also a bit musky. When I think of other well blended frags, I remember that I get bored with them after a while (Pasha, Must, and Valenti's 101, for example), but that doesn't happen with SB. It keeps you interested in it, yet never becomes boring or overwhelming.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

that is one big holy cedar you got there
    deep rich
    sweet dry liquorous
    warm n spicy
    sweaty/manly
    H-U-G-E patchouli C-E-D-A-R
    perfect balance with big round dry red cedar-like wood-patchouli and the boosy amber (oppoponax/red rum)
    meanwhile, I don't realy get the aoud or agar wood at all
    perhaps somewear in the support notes of the red wood...or something something
    kaka karoundé, where are you, what do you look like
    I dont know, I got lost in the woods
    in a forest of giant trees and got drunk with my bottle of capt'n morgan spicy rum

I tried the 1ml sample I got and emptied the half of it on my chest, arms and neck the other day just to see the developement and how it reacts to me.
    BIG, I mean Huge surprise.
    I did'nt know what to expect from the fragrance from liquorous boosy oppening that drag you in something deep and mesmerizing not much later. the following simply blew me away
    as soon as you reach the heart notes (as far as i'm concerned) you are envelopped in a vibrant aura of deep amber and big round red cedar and patchouli
    the balance is just perfect (from what i've experienced)
    as a rule, i'm not a fan of amber, but this one is just pure delight
    lasted a whole day on me even with a good dose of street hockey
    good silliage too
    this is so suprising since pretty much nothing lasts on my dry and pale skin
    by the way, if you like ultra weird/funky/unique smelling comme des garcon's, you may be deceived
    but, if you like big deep round earthy woods, boosy amber and bittersweetness you have to try this one
    althought this is not quite relevant, I just could not see a feminine woman wear this, it sceams masculinity a little too loud imo
    stiil perfect for a cold winter of cool autumn day or evenings all year long.
    even if the notes listed calls for something very deep and capiteux if I might say, it is very wearable and somehow very pleasent and satisfying, although it took me a little while to be able to enjoy it on me if I can speak as a personal experience.
    still, you don't have to be a perfume addict to be able to enjoy it.
    well well, that is pretty much all I had to say
    enjoy

Noraed's avatar

S2 by Shilpa Shetty

Smells fresh, citrusy, and fruity at first, then it becomes very mucky and woody at the end.
    Part of this perfume is based on amber and floral.

Top notes: mandarin, bergamot, cyclamen, peach and melon.
    Heart notes: jasmine, sandalwood, vetiver and patchouli.
    Base notes: musk and vanilla.

The perfume is not exciting and the excessive woody and musky scent is annoying me a little.

Noraed's avatar

Stunning by Katie Price

Smells citrusy at the very beginning, which is acceptable, but when the heart notes appears, the perfume becomes very rosy and strawberry smelling, which is not enjoyable.

The combination of Violet, Jasmine, Rose and Strawberry in the heart notes is a disaster.
    These notes (Violet, Jasmine, Rose and Strawberry) are very concentrated and mixing them together created a hideously intensive scent.
    This person obviously doesn’t know which notes goes with which.

The perfume in not stunning in any way, it’s actually very revolting.
    So it is a big NO for me.

LT1961's avatar

Neroli Jasmine by Body Shop

I must say that the Body Shop Jasmine and Neroli is nothing like Jasmine and Neroli. The aroma intensity is pure man made chemicals and is very watered down.
    From a noses point of view they should stop inflicting this garbage on the poor uneducated public. I could not detect Neroli nor Jasmine in their shop sample.

KJL's avatar

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

New to the world of perfumistas, I bought a few untried scents that seemed worth the risk off eBay (a short, but expensive, phase), mostly on reviews from Perfumes: The Guide by Sanchez and Turin (I love that book!) A bit discouraged, I tentatively opened my Bond No. 9 Chinatown, and I AM IN HEAVEN! I am so happy to have found this scent. I will wear it with pleasure for a long time and highly recommend anyone to at least give it a try. It is wonderful to read the other reviewers comments here, as well. There is so much to learn and experience about this fascinating and compelling art.

Mr Classic's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

On my second bottle now. It's dark, deep, sweet, spicy and has something indescribable. It's really strong when putting it on but settles down nicely.

This will probably be remain one of my regular scents.

heythatslife's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My favorite winter scent (though it works just as well in warmer weather).

This one is an enigma to me - cool and warm at the same time, crisp and mellow, refreshing and comforting. It reminds me of looking out of the window from the kitchen on a bright winter morning, with a cup of tea in my hands. The mineralic-woody-oriental base is just gold. Perfect sillage & longevity.

31st May, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 December, 2012)