Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

hubert delauney's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

This is in my top five of favorite Carons. It smells like the pink carnations in my grandmother's garden and there is rose... Rich, yes, but it's still a clean light floral scent on my wife's skin. Nice sillage and a very dreamy creamy drydown. I can't imagine this one disappointing anyone.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Beautiful sweet scent with a great woody/vanilla drydown . made by Jacques Huclier.

David McReynolds's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

I bought this a good thirty or more years ago while visiting
    my parents in Montecito, California. It struck me as smelling
    of the area, the eucalyptus trees, the sage, the dryness of
    Santa Barbara.

It remains a favorite of mine - a fragrance devoid of sweetness,
    makes a statement (not to everyone's liking). I think it must
    have been off the market at one point because it was being
    remaindered but it seems back in production.

It is in a category quite it's own.

Le Dix by Balenciaga

Le Dix is a heavy, aldehydic old-fashioned floral with a lot of powder and some wood. I can see some similarities to Chanel #5 but Le Dix just smells inferior to me. I personally don't care for Le Dix or its sister, Rumba, but then I am generally not a fan of heavy floral or oriental perfumes. Le Dix is definitely more of an evening perfume and would be more appropriate for an older woman. Stylish bottle.

Eau de Givenchy by Givenchy

Eau de Givenchy is a light green floral fragrance that has a distinctive touch of spearmint and ozonic/marine notes. I know that the spearmint aspect may sound odd and “gum-like” but it actually makes the perfume quite refreshing and cool. There are no citrus notes so Eau de Givenchy is definitely unlike other “Eau’s” out there. Finally, it would really appeal to someone who like Balmain Vent Vert.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I approached Bois Farine with a bit of trepidation given its much touted “bread notes”. I mean, who wants to smell like a loaf of bread? Upon spraying, the first note I got was oddly yeasty and sharp, and then it mellowed into a gentle floral overlaid with a light smell of Saltine crackers. It is oddly wonderful and compelling, and I found myself hoping that it stays on my skin for a long time. I then craftily offered my wrist to a male colleague (aka my perfume sniffing guinea pig) to do a blind sniff to see if he would pick up the Saltine note. He typically likes citrus (Creed Himalaya) or peppery (Ormonde Jayne Isfarkand) scents so I did not expect him to like it at all. However, he loved Bois Farine! He said that thought it was a wonderful scent for a woman and was something that “you only get to smell if you get really close”. As of hour 2, the sillage was still quite good.

As if all that weren’t reason enough to like Bois Farine, when I went to look up the official notes I saw that it was created by my idol Jean Claude Ellena, and upon reflection, can now see his subtle minimalist style.

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Eau de Guerlain is a textbook, citrusy eau de cologne which is pleasant enough but is not terribly exciting. Eau de colognes are not known for their lasting power but this has even less than most. Price-wise, 4711 is a much cheaper than Eau de Guerlain and smells very similar. However, if you want an original and stylish eau de cologne, I would recommend Chanel Eau de Cologne (tea scented) or Dior Cologne Blanche (orange flower and almond).

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Tam Dao is a warm sandalwood and cedar perfume which is very comforting and peaceful. It is clearly made of high quality ingredients and dries down beautifully with nary a jarring note. It reminded me a great deal of 10 Corso Como but the basic difference between the two is that Tam Dao accentuates sandalwood whereas 10 Corso Como emphasizes cedar. I am certain that if you like 10 Corso Como you will love this. In the name of research, I spritzed my boyfriend’s wrist with Tam Dao who gave it a “thumbs up” and said that Tam Dao reminded him a lot of Paul Smith’s London cologne for men.

From what I’ve been able to glean from various sources, here are the notes: sandalwood, cypress, cedar, herbs, pepper, rosewood.

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

Cologne Blanche is one of the few perfumes that have recently knocked me off my feet. Expecting a citrusy eau de cologne in the style of Eau de Guerlain, instead I was wowed by the subtle top notes of orange flower and almond. The chief middle note was a gentle milky smell which then gave way to an exquisitely light vanilla note that literally seemed to melt into my skin. Dior’s Cologne Blanche is an ethereal fragrance and would be very nice to give someone who is “scared” of perfumes or who much prefers lighter floral scents. I think that Dior’s Cologne Blanche and Chanel’s Eau de Cologne are the absolute tops in the cologne genre.

From what I’ve been able cull together from various perfume websites, here are the notes: orange flower, almond, rosemary, vanilla, musk, bergamot, peach stones, “sweet nuts”.

Silk / Peau de Soie by Ava Luxe

Cloying, annoying sweetish woody oriental. Ugh!

Magnifico 9: Peperoncino by I Profumi di Firenze

I expected Peperoncino to have the peppery fieriness of Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand (which I adore) but instead it was a relatively tame soapy masculine scent. If I tried really hard, I could smell the clove and black violet notes but the overall impression was one of soap. My guinea pig boyfriend had his arm sprayed with Peperoncino and (without prompting or commentary from me), said "this smells like Dial Soap". In addition to Isfarkand, another much better creation than Peperoncino which incorporates similar notes is the divine Cristiano Fissore's Cashmere for Men.

Notes gleaned from various perfume websites: Cayenne pepper, cardamom, clove, basil, neroli, black violet.

sedonaperfumery's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Siesta by Antonio Miro

Menly, mature, spicy one from Espana. İOla!

scandinavio's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Takes a lot of courage everytime i sprayed m7.
    its strength scent in every notes...and i feel my body temperature keep raising if i used it overspray...

the top notes is very medicinal for my nose, but the drydown its very cool
    there is not sweet aroma in this fragrance..

M7 is love n hate fragrance, better try 1st before you buy, not for newbies, bitter, very manly, n woman you should stay away from this (this is for man only)

1st time i write this review i put thumbs down.. why ? that because im newbies in fragrance but after couple of month i wear lot of edt i found this M7 interesting to wear

put it very light and found someting clean medicinal and little bit soapy...

04th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th July, 2008)

AlexanderRex's avatar

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

I bought a bottle of this (untried) on sale for $20. Considering that Paradise for Men only lasts about 2 hours on my skin, I think I got ripped off. Knock offs last longer than this.

Were it not for its terrible longevity, this would be a great summer scent. Sweet, but not cloying. The Papaya fragrance comes on well, but doesn't deliver a knock out punch to the nose. I can smell Grapefruit in here, but have never had Paradise last long enough to really detect its reported base notes of Patchouli, Sandalwood and Musk.

I have to give this a thumbs down. It would be a great scent if it could hold on for 4 hours, but it's a sprinter, not a marathon runner.

mlt.perfume's avatar

Malta Malta

Lotto Man by Lotto

I got this as a sample with a fragrance I bought. I'm not too keen on it. It smells cheap; most "sporty" fragrances tend to do that. It doesn't last long - but that may not necessarily be a bad thing. I'd wear it round the house (just not to throw the sample away) but otherwise I wouldn't dare wear this in public. After some time it smells of rusty iron.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

Fresh, in a lemony citrussy way, then becomes slightly sweeter with some sandalwood in there. This is in a smooth and characterful way unlike the Cologne Sport which I find too straight-up lemony and too linear. The development then goes in the way of a very nice musky and incence-like note, to my nose. This has one of the most beautiful drydowns ever, hours after spraying it there is a hint of it, ever so subtle. I wouldn't say this is better than the original Allure Home Sport as I think that is a great anyime scent but this, for me anyway, is a daytime or office scent. Sillage is on the subtle side but is long-lived. Overall a mediterranean, barber-shop effect witha modern urban 'man-about-town' feel. You'll probably like it if you like Armani Eau Pour Homme and the original Allure Sport as this retains some similar notes.

JaimeB's avatar

Nobile by Gucci

An incredible green chypre for men. Why this was ever discontinued is a great mystery to me. It is one of the best of its kind. The herbal notes — rosemary, lavender, and tarragon — take the lead, and are soon reinforced by a galbanum accord in the heart. The citrus, herbals, and spice in the top notes are transformed by the florals in the heart and a classic woody chypre drydown lingers with subtle green hues persisting until the end. If only it weren't so difficult to find! I have one bottle in reserve, and then... pfft!

JaimeB's avatar

Eau Illuminee by Delrae

Beautifully and subtly green and herbal on a base of powder and vanilla. This is perfect for a warm spring day. I'd call this a shared scent, though Delrae lists all their scents as feminine. I find it intriguing for its hay-like quality, even though there is only the coumarin note of tonka bean to account for that. The blending of the herbal notes seems to reinforce the dryish hay note remarkably well and very artfully. I especially appreciate the dry quality of the herbals in this. It isn't very lush at all, just slightly sweet and barely lavender-floral, which is really more herbal than flowery anyway.

JDBIII's avatar

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I like A*MEN, but I like this even better. Sad to hear it has been discontinued.

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

What a nice scent! I love it from the first sniff, mainly into its middle and base notes, which are so fresh and invigorating, also full of confident, manly and modern. The berries and tobacco notes are more than pleasant, really good for BKK heat. Thumb up for this one.

Calyx by Prescriptives

I passed by this perfume without noticing it for years because I never look for fragrance at the Prescriptives counter. Rather, I am obsessesed with their excellent line of liquid foundation almost guaranteed to match any skin color. There sat Calyx. I finally sprayed it on, and it was wonderful. It rushed through some grassy, green notes and settled into a big white peach and apricot aroma that was delicious. Ordinarily I'm not a fruit scent wearer, but I fell in love with this. Big, round, sweet-tart aromatic fruits in a sparkling, green, mossy base. Excellent.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I love the smell of dried black tea leaves, but no perfume has successfully imitated that aroma yet. Some have done well with green tea, but the mild, sweet, woody aroma of black tea seems to be difficult to replicate. This perfume is more herbal and fruity. Tommy Girl has a strange dry, papery note that I could not readily identify. Is it harsh? Not really. Smoky? No. Astringent? Yes, a bit. All day, I tried. Finally, I realized that it was almost salty--like celery leaves. This note keeps me at arm's length.

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is for men, not for women. It smells masculine, not in the sense that it uses notes for men, such as leather and tobacco, but that it smells like a man. First there is a burst of powder, and then a sweet cumin note of perspiration, and then a warm enveloping musk--the aroma of a man's clean groin. On a man, it's perfectly nice, but on a woman? It's too butch for me. The musk is perfectly naturalistic, neither too strong nor too dirty. (Ava Luxe Rasa Extreme was dirtier.) To me, the fecal notes are balanced and "aired-out" by the musk. Overall, I would choose something sweeter, more vanillic, and without the cumin. So, I'm giving it a neutral from my own viewpoint, as to whether I would wear it, personally. I have never smelled this on a man, but I would rate it positive in that situation.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I tried Musc Ravageur along with Muscs Koublai Khan. This one is clearly better for women. (We're used to sweet, vanillic scents. Some men think it is too sweet, so they should head straight for the MKK.) I prefer this one. It starts out with a sweet, candy, cardamom note that is absolutely delicious. The fragrance becomes quite powdery and soft, very warm and significantly ambery. Ever since my old Coty Wild Musc was made thin and weak, I've been looking for a good replacement. This is not the same, it is spicier while the other was vanillic, but it is a good candidate and a nice musk for women.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I usually avoid anything with a celebrity name, but I do acknowledge when I come across one that I like. This is one of the better "new chypres." (My favorite is Narciso Rodriguez for Her.) Lovely artfully balances the sweet and sour notes. (Nevertheless, I miss the heavy labdanum base of the "old-school chypres.") I can appreciate this new genre as long as I don't hold the two up for comparison. This one serves up a dollop of earthiness and woodiness with the florals--a standout lavendar along with an abstract bouquet-- but the patchouli is so mild that it won't scare away most women, and the vetiver and cedar never overtake the base. Why, it's almost--lovely. Yet, I sigh. Give me back my old Miss Dior.

tvlampboy's avatar

Quattro by Mary Kay

A bone dry men's chypre from MK, with hints of spices below.
    Very good longevity.

For some reason, MK has either discontinued this one. Can't imagine why. It was, along with Tamerisk, MK's very best men's frag.

odysseusm's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

A lovely, lovely scent. A lot like Eau Sauvage, perhaps a little more floral/sweet. Also a lot like Jean-Marie Farina, but more lemony. In other words, a classy aromatic citrus cologne. A feel-good fragrance with an elegant, white-shirt formal vibe that is balanced with sensuality. Invigorating lemon opening. Light herbal notes are softened by florals, likely rose. The base is also attractive, with well-done sandalwood and mossy musk. Excellent!

05th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th January, 2010)

scentsitivity's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I like the smell of GIT very much, but I cannot say that this is how I would like to smell. I would like my bedding to smell like after being fresh out of the dryer. Indeed GIT reminds me of the smell of some laundry detergents and fabric softeners – very clean and slightly floral. I suspect violet leaves are the dominant note here and while I get decent longevity I cannot say that I get the typical Creed ambergris drydown.

In view of the existence of counterfeit GIT that has been discussed ad infinitum on Basenotes, I cannot help but wonder how many (if any) of the Basenotes reviews were of a fake product. I also think it would be possible for a woman to wear GIT. I would be curious to know if anyone has had similar thoughts or success with that.

scentsitivity's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It is time for me to revisit Terre d’Hermes; when I first reviewed it I had unresolved issues. Those issues are no longer present.

My feelings about Terre d’Hermes have been all over the map. That makes it unique among the fragrances I have tested. On my first wearing (2006), I hated it. All I remember is it was excessively peppery and I couldn’t wait to wash it off. Subsequently in 2007 I obtained a sample vial and gave it another try: and I absolutely loved it. This time I appreciated a potent grapefruit with a dry earthiness. I emptied the sample vial and wanted it for myself. So I bought a bottle.

But the magic disappeared. I don’t get the potent grapefruit anymore. Just an earthiness and a synthetic orange-like note. It is okay, but there is nothing special to me anymore. I have decided this isn’t for me.

05th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th August, 2009)

HDS1963's avatar

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Top Notes
    Yuzu, Bergamot.
    Middle Notes
    VIOLETS, Musk, Lavender.
    Base Notes
    Amber, Patchouli, Cedarwood.

This is one of my favourite fragances. But it didn't start out that way. First time I smelled it, I lightly misted my arm with it and... nothing. Didn't go anywhere, in fact it seemed to disappear altogther.

So then, I gave several spritzes and BINGO! The scent kicked in a gave such a fantatistic account of itself I couldn't believe it.

The top notes are sharp, airy yet hold themselves with a great deal of dignity. I have no idea what Yuzu smells like on its own, but it doesn't offend here, so I can only imagine it smells nice!

What wins for me here is the interplay of Violets and Lavender. Take away the Violets and this would be a distinguished Lavender scent on its own I think. But it's the interplay with the violets that really takes this a cut above. I disagree with others who have said that the Lavender doesn't last through to the drydown, they do, and so do the violets, all underpinned beautifully with sweet patchouli and cedarwood (can't get the amber, unless that's the warmth of at the ending?).

I've changed the heartnotes in my review from the heartnotes given at the top of the review section because Cartier themselves specify Violets as being one of the key notes for this fragrance. If you like Grey Flannel, you'll love this, because it renders with Violets with the same kind of elegance.

But Eau De Catier has something else about it that just makes it a winner, it is etherial and magical and smells very expensive.

If you don't realise that you really have to APPLY this you are going to miss out on a fantastic fragrance. This is not like, say Un Jardin Sur Le Nil where you have to mist it lightly otherwise you will wipe out civilisations because it's sillage is so great, this you need to apply in proper manly portions.

Once you get the application right, you will find that it has great sillage and longevity.

But heck, just get it, it's fantastic.