Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

jathanas's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I have a small bottle of this at my beach house. It just seemed to be the right location for an ideal warm weather fragrance. Best way to describe it? Clean citrus.

pasha's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is painfully mundane.

That is just what it is. Lacking character, distinction, any sort of identity. I expect something -just a little edge- to a scent that comes from an established fashion brand that takes pride in its sexual image, supreme quality of goods, and overall charisma among many other brands. You like Dolce, or you hate it, but you know it makes a statement, and a bold one at that.

After the much hyped ad campaign (maybe the most talked about ad campaign for a frag since Sophie Dahl's YSL Opium) with the model's crotch shot, to get a fragrance, which is on a strict diet that restricts anything slightly interesting, is yet another sad, and widespread, addition to the interminably boring creations within this frag genre, that people call 'Aquatic, citrusy, and summer-y'.

More like "I prefer to smell like a Greek salad-gone-bad" to me. That being said, I am sure it sold millions, especially after the ad campaign, and the whole Sephora push (yes, Dolce promotes their fragrances like crazy, and it is good investment.)

Thanks, but no thanks. At least Dolce&Gabbana's signature mens frag has some appeal. If you want a good summer-y scent that fits in this category released lately, try Versace Man Eau Fraiche, or even Gucci Pour Homme II. Both ten times better, and at least have some redeeming qualities over this.

05th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 29th June, 2008)

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Passion by Elizabeth Taylor

I had a bottle of Passion many many many years ago. And I liked it. It was sweet and sexy - not instantly, I mean. You had to wait a bit for it to warm up on your skin. I found in it the same sexyness I found in Chamade (but Chamade is the top of the line for me when it comes to perfume). I dont think it is "old lady's". It is very feminine, seductive. And yes, citing Bonni, "something you'd expect Elizabeth Taylor to wear". Better saying, something I would expect Cleopatra herself to wear. But it is not heavy, never gave me a headache. Good staying power, and a few drops go very far. Very nice fragrance. But then again, I have not seen it in years. Believed it had been discontinued. A thumbs up.

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Shalimar by Guerlain

I came to know Shalimar through my mother-in-law's wardrobe. I was in my early twenties. It fascinated me. I had mixed feelings about it. It's pungent (to my senses) opening gave way all too soon to a sweet powdery wave that stayed for a very long time. Old lady's? Sometimes I think YES! And then I am not so sure. I wore it for a long time, but stopped when it began to make my skin itchy and red. I think it is a little too heavy for me. It is chic, elegant, but it is also something that does not match my way of life. Perhaps is meant for a well-dressed lady in a cold weather. Very self confident and mysterious. Maybe driving a leather upholstered car. Not for a woman who longs for her weekend strolls along the beach while she drives to work early in the morning in capri pants and t-shirts, listening to Ventura Highway and Summer Breeze and Rain Must Fall, water still dripping from her hair, pearly pink foolproof lipstick hurriedly applied, looking forward for her first cup of coffee of the day. Anyway, for all the sophisticated ladies in this world, a thumbs up.

curiousboi86's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Wow, i really can't believe that this actually won awards... the box is nice, but that's about it! to me, it smells like a blend of gasoline and dish washing detergent (think pine-o-clean)

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Great fresh scent created by Alberto Morillas. Has had many immitations, very popular with women, a must have.

Calèche by Hermès

Caleche was released by Hermès in 1961 and smells like a perfume of its time. It is a classic elegant chypre fragrance that starts off with a more astringency than say 31 rue Cambon or Y by YSL. However, after 15 minutes so, the floral and dry citrus notes smoothly emerge and then it becomes clear why Caleche is considered a masterpiece by Guy Robert. As for comparisons, I think Caleche is smoother and more wearable than Jolie Madame, Miss Dior or Bandit but for a newcomer to chypre-land, Diorella, Y and 31 rue Cambon are probably easier to enjoy. In any event, I find Caleche to be a very confident, sophisticated perfume that is the epitome of French chic. Excellent sillage, by the way.

Here are Caleche’s notes, as gleaned from various perfume websites: bergamot, mandarin, orange blossom, aldehydes, jasmine, lily of the valley, rose, gardenia, iris, ylang-ylang, oakmoss, sandalwood, cedar and vetiver.

Ecume de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Ecume de Rose is a very light rose fragrance in which I could smell aspects of salt, soap, ozonic notes and a little musk at the end. It is a shy little scent and does not open up much. I compared/sniffed this against Rosine’s Diabolo Rose which is a rose force to be reckoned with, whereas Ecume de Rose faded into the background in comparison. However, there have been days when I’ve have worn Ecume de Rose on its own and it was quite lovely. I think Ecume de Rose would be perfect on a hot, humid day when you want to be very lightly scented.

Here are the notes of Ecume de Rose which I’ve gleaned from various perfume websites: Top: Blackcurrant leaf, Sea lily. Middle: Dune roses, Artemisia, Rose Attar and Rose Absolue. Base: Vetiver, Ambergis, White musk.

Diabolo Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

Diabolo Rose is a lush, bold, true rose fragrance. Because I'd read the notes, I sniffed it a lot to see if I could detect the vaunted "minty" note. It was there but rather faint. It seemed like the mint was more of an accompaniment to accentuate the rosiness rather than to be a separate distinguishable note. I could not detect any of the other notes listed at the end of this review. Diabolo Rose seemed like a true soliflore to me. Going on hour 3, Diabolo Rose 's sillage is quote strong as opposed to its Rosine sister, Ecume de Rose, which was sprayed on my other wrist at the same time and is barely there. If you like Diabolo Rose and want to experiment with slightly more complex rose scents, I would suggest trying Caron's Parfum Sacre and/or The Different Company's Rose Poivree. Also, if you like Diabolo Rose, you should also smell YSL’s: A) Paris and B) Paris Roses de Bois as they both exude the same kind of rose intensity.

Per Fishbone's website, here are Diabolo Rose's notes: rose, bergamot, mint, bergamot, lily of the valley, peony, amber, musk and sandalwood.

girlsodeadly's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Narcisse Noir in edt or parfum up until the late 90's was one of the darkest, most dramatic, sensual and enigmatic perfume I ever smelled anywhere. Its animalic orange blossom supported by incensy dark base made it a perfume of the film noir genre. Unfortunately since 2000 it 's gone through horrible reformulations by current Caron in-house perfumer Richard Fraysse, Narcisse Noir has now become an insipid sweet soapy floral with little character compared to the original.

girlsodeadly's avatar

En Avion by Caron

Another perfume of the legendary Caron house ruined by reformulation incompetance, if you used to wear En Avion before 2001 you know this has been recently tweaked. Unfortunately vintage En Avion is hard to find but please stay away from new EA, the new one is just a shadow of what it used to be. The new version lacks refinement, grace and elegance, typical of reformulated creations by current Caron in-house perfumer Richard Fraysse.

mlt.perfume's avatar

Malta Malta

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I love it. It smells of spring. Nice and floral but yet masculine and clean.

Noseworthy's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Fascinating ambiguity here - fragrance and stink. But then, consider the grapefruit itself: despite its great shape and color, its oil is not as innocent as the taste of its juice. As a child I used to turn my nose up at grapefruit skin, although I loved the fruit sections or slices. Still feel the same way at 79.
    I happen to like Pamplelune enormously for its "truthfulness", although I was sitting next to a woman on the bus in Montreal the other day when, to my shock and then amusement, she gave me a sort sharp lecture about taking regular showers, and moved to another seat. All I could manage was a Gallic shrug...
    So I don't wear it on public transportation any more.. just wear it for me and my grapefruit-loving friends. Thank you Guerlain - it's a charming, brutal scent.

Noseworthy's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

The sweetness of rose is wonderfully offset by the slight bitterness of blackcurrant leaves (much beloved by Slavs as a basic flavor for dill pickles!) After about an hour the blackcurrant almost fades out, and the rose develops more, but never to the point of being cloying. It remains fresh, subtle and almost real. Almost, because I have never yet come across a rose scent that really smells like a real wild briar rose.

Purr's avatar

Serbia Serbia

In Black by J del Pozo

Fado scent on my skin. Melancholy, sadness, plus something fake, unnatural. Sugar-coated black cherry on top, then cedar, violets and patch. Great bottle, though!

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I bought this blind and this stuff is absolutely HORRIBLE!! I first smelled it and I immediately said cat piss and earthworms! My brother said it smells like a dead possum covered in cheetah fur sprinkled with urine. I cannot begin to tell you how bad this stuff is and I feel sorry for anyone that actually wears this stuff in public it never ends! I had to shower 3 times just to get this disgusting juice off my body.

Rochas Man by Rochas

I bought this due to a lot of recommendations and it is a very tasty cologne. I say tasty cause if you wear it when you're hungry you'll probably eat your arm off or have girls bite your neck. My girlfriend used to wear a body splash that smelled a lot like this I think it was like warm vanilla sugar or something just to give you an idea of what you're looking at. I gave it a thumbs up cause it smells great but the only bad thing it doesn't last very long on my skin at all.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I bought this stuff blind and it is terrific! This scent is a very handsome scent all of the women I know love it. Do yourself a favor and get this stuff you'll thank me later.

odysseusm's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I have completely revised my review. I now recognize that this is an old-school fougere. The dry-down is a little more sweet than I like, with a little more vanilla than I seek out. But really, this is a charming and classy scent made with the traditional profile of lavender, coumarin, and moss.
    The lavender is lively, accurate, herbal, and persistent. It picks up bits of aromatic herbs from the clary sage, as well as some wood notes. The dry-down is very smooth and gracious. The coumarin from the tonka, in combination with the moss, give a pipe tobacco note, something almost smoky and intriguing. There are hints of good wood in the dry-down as well, and the lavender continues to add an element.
    I can find no fault with it, it is a lovely scent and is worthy of the title "classic".

05th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th December, 2012)

odysseusm's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I've revised this review. Initially I was neutral on it. I still think it is a classy scent, but I find that a couple of elements dominate and I don't like them. If others like these elements then they won't have a problem with the scent.
    The first problematic element for me is the anise. I appreciate a little of that fennel-licorice note, but here I find it dominates in the early going. Sometimes I get a cool, minty note from the rosemary or cloves from the carnation, but mostly it is anise.
    The second and third elements which give me problems are the vanilla and patchouli. Just a little too much vanilla to suit me, and the patchouli, while earthy and tangy, is also assertive and a bit sweet and heavy.
    This is an old-school aromatic fougere. Give it a try if this style interests you. It is a classic of its style.

05th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26th December, 2012)

JaimeB's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Rosemary, basil.... and something like jasmine, I think. So, I checked, and one website gives the following notes;

lemon, rosemary, basil, bergamot, caraway, fruit note
    jasmine, rose, carnation, orris root, coriander, patchouli, sandalwood
    oakmoss, vetiver, musk, amber

I think that sounds like a more complete picture of this scent. Roudnitska's early classic. Very hesperidic, but balanced in a kind of extra strong form by some pretty muscular heart and base notes, beyond the old eau-de-cologne tradition.

Stu's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Miss this fragrance. Once of the first I owned and was happy to wear it. Can still find it but it doesn't smell the same anymore.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

I've tested the eau de toilette version, which may be why it comes off weak to my nose...never the less, it is not all that interesting. The cedar is prominently above the other notes, rendering them ineffective in this blend. I wish the jasmine was more than an accent here, as it is lost among the woods. (Cedar and vetiver.) I detect only a tinge of rose.
    I'll give this a neutral, until I re-test a more concentrated version...

Waldemar's avatar

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is disgusting. Nothing sexual at all. The smell of vomit. Unfortunately I've tried this on my skin, had hangover and had to drink lemonade to clean my mouth. Moreover, It is extremely long lasting.

Waldemar's avatar

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is nice. Light airy green topnotes, then a rubbery medicinal smell, like a just unwrapped condom that turns then leathery and woody with an hint of iris root. Long lasting. I could wear this, but I've plenty of classic leather scents and don't need to add this to my wardrobe.

Azurée by Estée Lauder

Artistically arresting, a bit difficult to wear. Dry, papery, peppery, bitter herbal, pungent. It has a soapy opening and is supposedly a "leather" scent, but it never segues into the animalic, indolic territory of Chanel Cuir de Russie, my benchmarch leather scent--especially the vintage juice. Rather, Azuree has in common with its two Estee Lauder classic "sisters" a certain sneezy dustiness. Whereas Aliage translates this note into overt greenness, Private Collectionlets it fade into a backdrop of florals and sweet amber. Azuree does neither. The same note hangs suspended in mid-air like a ray of sunshine made visible in dusty air for as long as the fragrance persists. Evocatively nostalgic, poignant, powerful, but not easy.

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

This is the be-all-end-all of realistic grapefruit perfumes. I just bought Marc Jacobs Grapefruit for my daughter and, although she likes it, it was too simple and light for me. This one, though, is better for me. AA Pampleune is deep, fruity, bittersweet and weighty, with the help of the patchouli and vanilla base (neither of which is apparent in and of itself.) This is as good as a grapefruit perfume gets.

Tilleul by D'Orsay

I love linden blossoms. They are joyous, green and sweet, yet wild and grassy. This is a reilable imitation of linden blossom, a feat accomplished with a balance of green, mildy fruity, tangy and sweet notes, foremost of which I smell the rind of watermelon and some grassy florals. Really, it is hard to describe. I am impressed that this perfume originated in 1955, is still available, and yet so few Americans have been exposed to linden soliflore. I tried the EDT, but I would recommend a stronger concentration. For those who have trouble finding this brand, Diptyque also has a Tilleul which is similar.

Vivara (original) by Emilio Pucci

Vivara (new) by Emilio Pucci

(This is for the vintage, not the new fragrance. I mistakenly put it in the new.)A classic herbal chypre in the old-school style. The richness and depth of the ingredients are apparent immediately and, like so many others of the 1970s, are no longer available to the perfumer's palatte. This is an odd perfume by today's standards. It is a combination of dry, bitter, green, herbal, cypressy notes expertly overlayed on a golden, sweet labdanum base. Probably the closest one could come to it nowadays is Estee Lauder Azuree, which is soapier and less herbal.