Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

H.M. by Hanae Mori

This citrus opening sure surprised the heck outta me. I was expecting something heavy and sweet. This opening is light, somewhat sweet and easy going.

After some time, I began to see it true rich chocolaty nature. Which is definitely for me.

But more than sweet gourmand side-- which isn't too sweet on me-- I found wonderful floral support as it moved through it's heart notes. I really enjoyed this on me.

I never felt this to be too feminine on me. I even received a remark from a friend that it smelt, "like a man". Or maybe that's just my natural scent... :)

Rochas Man by Rochas

I feel this is quite masculine for a gourmand. I think it's the mocha in the dry down that keeps me coming back. I woke up one morning with the phantom smell of this frag in my nose. And like a song stuck in my head, I had to put it on to appease my mind.

There's a contrast between the vanilla and mocha that makes this frag so enjoyable to me. Sometimes I feel it's on the verge of being cloying, but it hasn't reached there yet.

The Dreamer by Versace

I really REALLY liked this on first spray. It's floral nature becomes quite feminine on me-- not what I would prefer. Though, I don't care because I really enjoy sniffing this frag.

I think maybe I'll try spraying this on my girlfriend to see how it sits there. If that doesn't work, I'll still wear this when I'm alone...

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Here's one the ladies and myself both agree upon. This is enjoyable from beginning to end.

My only gripe is with the sillage and longevity. It's so sweet on first application that I don't want to risk putting on an excess. And inevitably after 20 min it sticks too close to the skin. And after a couple hours on me, it's barely perceptible. I'm hoping this is a case of olfactory fatigue.

Either way, I'm still gonna wear it.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This certainly isn't a complex fragrance.

I get the lemon and the woody dry down. It certainly smells a bit sexy, but it doesn't make me gitty. The ladies seem to like it on me. I don't enjoy it as much as them.

I can see a similarity between this and John Varvatos, but it's very minor. On me John Varvatos is all about the date note.

Guess Man by Guess

This is a solid mixture. The drydown is the best part for me. It's warm, but refreshing as well. I keep going back to my wrist to smell this one.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Well, I sprayed this on the strip and found it enticing. It seemed worthy of a test drive, so I spray it on the wrist and immediately, lipstick. Not completely disagreeable, but enjoyable to me either. I considered washing it off at this point but decided there was something I liked on the strip, so I'd wait and see. I'm certainly glad I did. The odd lipstick-y smell faded at about 20 where it begins it's manhood. The dry down was rich and a little edgy-- certainly wearable and enjoyable.

Aiona's avatar

Mark Jewel by Mark

I've only smelled this once, and it was on someone else. It smelled SO GOOD! Ambery, flowery, musky. It smells a lot like a perfume that was around in the 1980's, that I never identified. Feminine, with some real sillage, which is why I was able to catch the scent of it on a coworker. The description by Avon says there are fruity notes in it, but what I smell is mostly flowery. Perhaps a little gourmand. The complete opposite of cool aquatics. It's like a warm, pudgy pillow of scent.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Connect for Men by Jivago

Just got this in the mail...smells exactly like Drakkar Noir except this takes you almost imeediately to the Drakkar dry down plus some civet-like scent. i have always enjoyed Drakkar Noir until it got waaay too popular (kinda like Aqua di Gio now). I see DN is making a small resurgence, can't get it cheap anymore. Plus, there are quite a few copies out thereright now, including Beckham Instinct and Phat Farm Atman. Connect is the closest to the real thing, and I think DN's dry down is its genius and graw...Connect gives you all that and then some instanteneously.

Frank108's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Body Chemistry.
    Short Shelf Life.
    I'm not sure which all I know is that I put this on twice and both times I felt like I stank like rotten garbage. People reacted to me in the same manner.

And this, dear reader, is unforgivable and re-taught me a valuable lesson: Try Before You Buy.

So, no, I do not think that this fragrance deserves even to be listed as Best for Day Wear, or Evening Wear. For me it serves as "proof" why one should never buy a celebrity endorsed anything.

Honestly, the bottle and it's packaging is nothing but design hack, nice enough but not worthy of any kind of an award.

Nevertheless taste varies as does body chemistry. So, my recommendation is simply: Try before YOU buy. Also if you like the sample but when get home and it smells bad - Return it Immediately.

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

A very nice classy fragrance, I use this on hot humid days when I'm well dressed or on humid evenings with a date. Smells very nice stays close to the skin but longevity is the issue not bad but wish it was better, on my skin anywhere from 4 to 6 hrs but still a thumbs up.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

This is a very nice fragrance smells really bad on paper in my opinion as does the initial blast but after a few minutes it's very nice. A definite compliment getter last a minimum 6 hrs on my skin so a thumbs up.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I really wanted to like this, smells wonderful on paper but on my skin it smells horrible almost dirty.

Mr. G's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Djedi by Guerlain

Leather scents are strong, dry, dark and mineral scents, invented in the mid-1920s, and their characteristic smell of machine oil suited perfectly man's fascination with machines, factories and futurism at the time. As always, Jacques Guerlain wasn't late to grasp modernity's signs, and already in 1926 he had created Djedi, Guerlain's first and only real leather chypre. The name was not borrowed from its contemporaries, but from an ancient Egyptian magician who reputedly was able to bring back the dead to life. And the perfume is indeed as strange and mystic as a magician. It mixes rose, vetiver, musk, oakmoss, leathery notes and civet into a dark-green, earthy-cold and heroic-tragic scent, and as such, it's considered to be the first, and most unusual, of Jacques Guerlain's dark '1930's style'-perfumes, despite it being closer to Shalimar in time. It's sensual, but it's a very different sensuality than Shalimar's deep, playful and generous orientalism. It's a restrained, austere, mystic sensuality. The closest sister to Djedi is perhaps Liu that is equally dry, not a mossy, leathery dryness, but one that comes from dusty rose and aldehyde. Djedi's next-nearest sister must be Vol de Nuit, created with the same dark-austere spiciness as Djedi, but laid on a sweeter, oriental background, not a dry leather one. Perfume experts Roja Dove and Luca Turin have described it as 'the driest perfume of all time' and 'a tremendous animalic vetiver', respectively. The bottle for Djedi is rectangular and severe, inspired by architectural functionalism, with a ground glass stopper covered with gilded metal, and placed in a dark-green leather box with a roof-shaped lid. The Djedi bottle is actually a modified version of the 'biscuit shaped' bottle from 1916. Djedi didn't enter Guerlain's classic range, but its 70th anniversary in 1996 was celebrated with a true copy of the original 60 ml model.

Fog_Lyfe's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

Indeed “glamorous” as a previous reviewer has noted. And for some reason, this brings me back to the gool ol 80’s as I remember my uncle (in his mid 20’s then) in his brown rustic bomber jacket, plain white v-neck shirt w/ his Italian gold chain dangling by his chest and a pair of skinny/tight fitted jeans posting outside the house leaning by his red Porsche w/ tan leather interior just hanging out watching the sunset with a few girls (HOT girls I’ll tell ya!).. now that’s pimp! This cologne is very playboy-ish…you’ll need to be in the right mood to make pull this off! ….works for me ;-)

p.s. When the scent lingers around inside your car and mixes with the fine leather upholstery… something very intoxicating about it…and chicks dig it!!

Islandwriter's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

I do not find it necessary to add to the physical description of this fine scent, but wanted to add that it is one of the finest I have had the pleasure of wearing. Wonderful sillage and I can smell it the next day. Highly, highly recc'd to those who are sick of the mediocre stuff out there.
    Oh, and the girls really love it, too.......................

tarleisio's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

I received this as an early birthday present with some trepidation. I had read all the raves elsewhere, and it sounded like the perfect summer scent, and perfect for a green/citrus fanatic. But I had never had the opportunity to actually smell it, or to find out whether it would work on my skin.

Wonder of wonders - it did. It starts out with just enough grapefruit and mango to satisfy my citrus craving, before the calamus and lotus kick in, adding a dry, desert-y tone that takes this fragrance far out of the mainstream into "classic scent" category. Where I end up with the sycamore and incense is - transported. I'm sailing down the Nile from Alexandria en route to Arabia Felix and India, and the year is 212 AD...

It's very long-lasting, it's utterly gorgeous, highly elegant and it was created by Jean-Claude Ellena, who also created another summer staple of mine, Bulgari's The Verte Extreme.

My husband adores it on me, and so do my colleagues at work. It might not be to everyone's taste, buit on some of us, it's heaven AND the Nile in a bottle.

jathanas's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

A very classy winter fragrance. I don't get the citrus at all! I'd describe it as sweet and powdery (must be the rose). Visualize a Xmas fireplace surrounded by loved ones; more warm than sexy...

Anthony87's avatar

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I find this immensely cloying, just like Diesel Plus Plus. Smells like someone ate a big batch of cinamonn and pot pourri, let it half digest, then regurgitated it and put it in a bottle. Yuck.

Sheer Obsession by Calvin Klein

HMMMM! Total winner. Obsession without the yikes-factor. I can't imagine actually wearing Obsession itself, much as I love the smell, as this is already so strong on me that I must be cautious. But I suppose I could grow into Obsession... I hope so, as this version is no more, sadly. I also much prefer this one's bottle. If you can still find it, snap it up!

Simply by Clinique

Urgh. Wore this straight through one winter, and now never want to smell it again. Such a strangely flat and blah perfume! I used to enjoy the comfort-aspect, but now it seems so chemical, not mellow at all, quite violent and sweet, not fresh in any, any way! I love the bottle and the name, actually, wish I could still enjoy it. Ah well, I'll keep it as a rarity, seeing as it's discontinued. Ugh. So sweet!

Cabotine by Grès

Awwww, so sad! I absolutely adore this on my aunt; she's an older lady and it makes her smell fresh, youthful and happy. Me? I smell old, stagnant and over-perfumed from only one test-spritz on my arm! Very, very sad. But I am blaming my skin, this is lovely, do try it. And the bottle! So lovely!

06 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 30th May, 2008)

Le Parfum by Sonia Rykiel

Lovely stuff! Woody (with a top note of hinoki wood, according to the Rykiel site), warm, not spicy but just like some kind of sharp, energetically fragranced timber. Do NOT over-apply, or you'll smother everyone around you. One or two spritzes, however, will surround you in idiosyncratic, fascinating warmth with just a touch of sourness to prevent it from smelling of a lumber-yard. Very interesting; certainly not average. Lovely stylish bottle too!

06 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 August, 2009)

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

Lovely, lovely cologne, surely my favourite to date. Much too fleeting, though, and what's more, to my nose it has changed, become less zesty and citrusy in the opening (I've been wearing it for 8 years). Wouldn't want to be without a bottle, but find myself not wearing it much because it simply is not there for more than 15 minutes! Perfect for carrying in your purse in summer, then, I suppose, and the products are all marvelous, just as great as the cologne, especially the shampoo, body oil and sachets. Just try the shampoo, if nothing else, if you're traveling or sporty.

Jako by Lagerfeld

I'm so surprised at the vitriol here! I loved this as an older teen (I'm a girl) and wore it with great success, to my mind, in cooler weather. I hesitate to spritz now simply because it's too linked to that time. But I'd love a man to wear this for me to sniff at. I remember it as deeply spicy-citrus, not very 'masculine', clean and warm. Ignore all these nay-sayers and try for yourself! Before they discontinue it. I'm not seeing it in stores...

Visit by Azzaro

YUM! When my boyfriend wears this, he out-smells me (and not in an overpowering way!), whatever I'm wearing. This is spicy, kicky goodness. Reminds us both of Kenzo Tokyo, but is more interesting and has better staying power. Even if it's not the most unique or strange scent, for every day it's an absolute winner, will be purchasing a big, big bottle after my lover's mini runs out. Hmmmmmm must go smell his neck...

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

This is second by a mile to Jovan Musk to me. I only have the oil, and should really try the spray form, as I find oils too soft in general. This I find very, very soapy and clean, with not enough to interest me all day long. It's perfect, though, for after-shower-cleanness before bed, and I combine it then with one of Johnnson's three baby colognes (I believe they're different to the one available in the States). I don't get spiciness or warmth in this oil at ALL. But very nice! Clean, clean, clean.

Innocent Illusion by Thierry Mugler

Cotton candy in a very lovely bottle. I got this from my previous magazine job, would NEVER have even picked it up to spritz. I'm sure this could be wildly popular with the very girly crowd. But seriously, could things get sweeter? Candy covered in a bit of sugar and a touch of powder, all contained in a very old patchouli-laced box. Not that overpoweringly strong, happily. Not the worst thing I've smelled by a long shot.

perfume-aholic's avatar

Kai by Kai

Beautiful fragrance with excellent lasting power and lovely sillage, which is sure to invoke many an inquiring mind as to what fragrance you are wearing. Enhances my mood tremendously, especially during the bleak, grey cold winter months. If you adore Jasmine & Gardenia, this is a must have for your collection.

perfume-aholic's avatar

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I'm left scratching my head over this one..not understanding all the hype. It's winning major AWARDS! Had this been bottled in a regular looking bottle under a more generic name, it would be sitting on a dusty shelf in a drug store beside a bunch of other fragrances of the same basic composition. It's most definitely a non offensive scent, but is just not an award winning one in my eyes or nose. Yes, the bottle is cute, but to me, while I appreciate an eye catching bottle, if the juice inside is not more exceptional than that of your basic cheaper drug store types, my wallet shall stay firmly rooted in my purse ;)