Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

perfume-aholic's avatar

Ralph Wild by Ralph Lauren

If you're looking for a simple, non-exotic, summer fruity floral (more on the fruity than the floral) blend, then this is for you.

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

ALOT of anise in the opening, but if you like that particular note, it's not a problem. Dries down to something very similar to Luten's Douce Amere, but more muted. Very pleasant, moderate sillage, longevity is pretty good. Sweet but not cloying. Reminds me of licorice or a root beer float! I've been complimented by the opposite sex many times b/c of this scent. I wear this for the ladies, and for myself when I don't need to feel very masculine. I'm wondering how this would smell on a woman...

mcjra's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Rochas Man by Rochas

New Haarlem is very similar to this, although NH is alot more complex and refined, ie creamier and more "real" smelling, it's really difficult to differentiate unless they're side by side. Since RM is much cheaper, this one is definately the smarter buy. I like this gourmand scent, but I find Lolita Lempicka the more unique choice as far as gourmands go. Although both get alot of attention from the opposite sex.

David McReynolds's avatar

Zizanie by Fragonard

In 1951, when I was an innocent youth of 21 and in Paris for the
    first time, I was "adopted" by a few days by a fellow, traveling with
    his mother, who had designs on my innocence. Despite a lunch at the George Cinc Hotel his designs fell on barren ground. However he left me a bottle of the old Zizanie. It was the old
    aluminum bottle with a cork top. I didn't like it then, but it brought
    back memories of Paris. When the bottle was used up I bought
    a new one, for the sake of nostalgia. Can someone confirm that
    the formula was radically changed? If I didn't like it in 1951 I loathe
    it in 2008. A men's fragrance, indeed, for men who have no friends
    and no sense of smell. A heavy fragrance which, alas, doesn't
    dissipate but has a truly nasty end note.

Jemimagold's avatar

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

I have had multiple bottles of Yvresse (née “Champagne”) off and on since the mid-1990’s. It is a fruity-floral fragrance as evidenced from the notes below. Given its marked fruitiness, I had never thought of it before as being a chypre until a fellow perfumista mentioned that, but now that I am looking for chypre notes, I can detect them in the drydown along with a somewhat yeasty fragrance. Mostly though, Yvresse is a sparking perfume that smells mostly like an effervescent concoction of nectarines and litchi to me.

A distinctive thing about Yvresse is that it is always in a good mood. Sometimes that relentless chipper-ness (kind of like having an incessantly optimistic friend around) is annoying but most of the time I find Yvresse to be a complement to my own good mood or it gets me out of an occasional funk. Also, I am not a perfume bottle person but I think Yvresse has one the most stylish bottles around. I find the heft, textures, sassy gold color and even the twisted metal detailing to be chic and charming.

Here are Yvresse’s notes, as gleaned from various perfume websites: Top: Anise, Nectarine, Mint; Middle: Blue Rose, Otto, Litchi; Base: Patchouli, Oakmoss, Vetiver.

Jemimagold's avatar

Fireside by Sonoma Scent Studio

I really wanted to like Fireside as I generally swoon over smoky, woodsy scents such as 10 Corso Como and Tam Dao. I've thought a lot about it and I think my discomfort with Fireside has to do with the omnipresent and discordant tobacco note which is simply out of place, that is, unless one is North Carolina tobacco farmer from the 1800's. To my nose, it is just not realistic to have tobacco dominate a scent meant to evoke a fireside. To me, the perfect interpretation of an indoor hearth is the smell of Diptyque's Feu de Bois candle (which I think may also be in perfume form now) and my favorite outdoor bonfire scent is CBIHP's Burning Leaves.

Here are the notes, per the Sonoma Scent Studio's Website: Indian sandalwood, Himalayan cedar, Texas cedar, guaiac wood, nagarmotha (Cyperus), birch tar, and myrrh.

Kaern's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

Gorgeous leathery floral. It is quite feminine to start with, but give it time and it becomes quite acceptable for men. It lasts and lasts (surprisisng for a Creed). It smells as though it is from another century -- fin de siecle. I've had a bit of a down with Creed fragrances in the past, but I have to accept that this is a masterpiece and worth every penny.

Kaern

Kaern's avatar

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

It's not groundbreaking or anything and is slightly generic, but not in a pushy, in your face way. This normally would raise alarm bells for me, but the fact is, for some reason -- I love it.

Kaern

Abercrombie & Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

I have bottles of this lying around and I never use it. This cologne is very teeny bopper and I can't really take the smell of it at all. I used to wear it a couple years ago and I use to love it but things change.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods by Abercrombie & Fitch

I have like 10 bottles of this stuff lying around and I can't wear it anymore. Girls use to go crazy over this stuff and thats the only reason why I wore it I never really liked the smell. Also it doesn't last so one bottle goes Quick. I wore a couple weeks ago and the girls still love this cologne so if you can track down a bottle I'd say pick it up for a girl getter, but it is expensive on ebay.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Again I bought this one due to the reviews here on basenotes and at first spray I thought "oh my god I smell just like my 3rd grade teacher" but then it turned smell very soft and clean very close to a womens perfume. I wore it on a first date and she loooooooved it she kept getting closer and closer just so she could smell me. If your masculine enough to pull this one off I say definitely get it.

Cool Water by Davidoff

how can anyone not like this cologne seriously? This cologne is so clean smelling like new clothes, a cold shower, and a fresh haircut. Girls still love this cologne so don't put it out just yet. I always keep a bottle of this in my wardrobe.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I've been wearing this stuff since high school when I first bought it I loved it, now after I've grown up a little definitely an outdated cologne. My grandma does still like whenever I wear it she says it smells like apples. I couldn't recommend this cologne on a blind buy but it has proven itself over the years so if you're interested get out to the store and snorfle some up your nose and see what your think.

OP Juice by Ocean Pacific

This is my favorite cologne of all time! Whenever I go to the beach I wear this cologne. During the long winters of OH I will wear this cologne and poof I'm back on the beach. A girl I dated said it smelled like a doll she had when she was little and she loved it. Buy some of this cologne for your next beach vacation and you will love it! It's very sweet and very juicy and very beachy.

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I get bottles of this for free so I always have some in my wardrobe and I wear it depending on what kind of bar I'm going to for the night. It lasts awhile on my skin but on my brother it does not. Girls love this cologne but a lot of them say its played out and I agree. The scent is warm masculine and trendy so if thats what you're looking for snag a bottle.

Nathan214's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I originally disliked what I considered an overpowering cedar note in L'air du Desert Marocain, but after testing numerous times and learning to cautiously apply, I was gradually won over and consider this worthy of all the glowing reviews it gets. Definitely my favorite Tauer creation.

06th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th July, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

A spicy-floral chypre with eau-de-cologne overtones. Quite an old-school scent for today's taste, I suppose, but still worth the occasional walk in the park. Love that woody-oriental drydown weighted with the chypré oakmoss-patchouli accord. I like this for daytime business wear in mild weather. I would wear it any other time I felt moved to, though; I find it's quite versatile. This is a scent I would call well-tailored, both in the sense that it's well constructed and that it goes well with a coat and tie.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Adidas Sport / Sport Field by Adidas

The most commonplace, atough not bad or unplesant incarnation of a "green" scent. That it is plesant and wearable goes without saying, but towards the end of the nineties it was so overused and overhyped that i think that it got an excessively good press, even ( or especially ) compared even to other Addas scents, which altough equally affordable, are much more creative and complex, e.g. Adidas Classic. Otherwise i can appreciate the citrusy and slightly aromatic opening, leading towards a woody base. Nice and quite good value ( for little ) money, but not quite my cup of tea.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

Fizzy leather!

This is a leather for a summer's day. It is an exercise in transparency and modernity. I don't have any idea how he has managed to achieve it, but Ellena has stayed true to form and created a sheer, light and effervescent leather that is mesmerisingly beautiful.

If you want full-bodied, animalic, weird, rich or boozy leather, you're better off reaching for something else - there are plenty of fantastic leather fragrances out there. Kelly Caleche has a floral softness that makes it very appealing and wearable, even for non-leatherheads. Well worth a try and a good choice for a gift.

He Wood by Dsquared2

I fell inlove straight away when first sniffed, but, ey!, there was something about it that reminded me other well known juice straight away, so I decided to experiment and wait for reactions.
    I ask the tender to make me a tester, and then, here I was making sniff my neck to every single friend of mine.
    Conclusion: They thought it was KenzoAir, just like me. I was not they only one though.

Both colognes share vetiver and cedar. I'm a fan of KenzoAir, but I have to admit: this a way better version in my opinion.

He wood is a minimal fragrance: a dreamscape of a light scent of a forest brezze near a lake.
    It provides a new step on “wood” accords— it's smooth, bleached woods floating on sweet, cool, lightly flower-scented water.

Starts kind of aquatic and ozonic, definitively synthetic but pure, just like a whisper, but with presence. So many people has remarked that the initial burst is alcohol like, but to my nose is like watery fresh clean cut light wood, a similar smell of a paper manifactured factory.
    The fir here it's rather no very evident, but, in a few minutes the perfume gets personality and body, I smell violet leaf, a beautiful violet flower note, mild vetiver and water notes that blends beautifully with the vetiver and cedar. There's altrough a nice ambient of forest and the previous watery soft accord remains gorgeous in the background.

It develops gorgeous and heady above yourself. It doesn't project grandly, but it's enough noticiable.

This is a dream of perfume, it's just the same atmosphere as KenzoAir without the aniseed.
    It's funny how completely apart essences can share close similarities.
    He Wood is an alive dream, the scent of how a fairy forest would smell like. A new solution for those that like light woody fragrances with a different touch.

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lime by Comme des Garçons

Lime (my favourite) is a real explossion of lime,(effervescent and uplifting, makes your mouth watery), that melts gorgeously with hints of watery old fashion accent of water jasmin and roses. To my nose the jasmin note is much similar as the glorious international well known "Eau Savage". As the other brothers of the line, Lime, is rather linear and just gets a little more complex when dries down, when the lime accord still present but shares the path with a gorgeous lily note, dewy and green.

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Grapefruit by Comme des Garçons

Energy C Grapefruit includes notes of blackcurrant buds, pink grapefruit, petit grain, jasmine, neroli, yellow madarin, tree moss and iris.

Grapefuit funnily won't smell like grapefuit itself:
    The mandarine is the main note here, just as if you are you peel off one. Then comes the petitgrain, not overly sweet, it's enjoyable, airy and soft like a summer brezze.
    It dries down in a ghostly accent of iris flower that melts with the mandarine and the neroli.
    Can't detect any grapefruit still.

tvlampboy's avatar

Comme des Garçons 3 by Comme des Garçons

CdG #3 is green and citrus-laden at first, granted, even to the point of fruitiness, but that soon dies down and is replaced by a cedary brute that is (at least to my nose) a half-sibling to Terre d'Hermes. (I can't believe no one else has picked up on this so far!)

Still, there is that trademark CdG synthetic "twang" to this one, and that distinguishes it (and not for the better) from TdH, at least in my humble opinion. Neutral on this one, as it's almost like a TdH wannabe that doesn't quite make it.

scentsitivity's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I make a point to read other reviewer’s comments to see if their words capture my experience. As I was having difficulty describing Bulgari Pour Homme, I was relieved to find one reviewer describe it as having a “musty metallic accord”. I could not have said it any better. I get that for 3+ hours and then the metal fades. Mustiness remains, so I must give it a thumbs down (pun intended).

scentsitivity's avatar

Rochas Man by Rochas

Rochas Man was my first gourmand experience and it remains a favorite. Mocha and vanilla are prominent here and while the presentation is sweet, I do not find it to be excessively so (I do not like excessively sweet scents). I prefer this to Bond’s New Haarlem, which is similar, but darker and less sweet. To my nose, I get a tinge of anise in the opening. It isn’t listed in the notes and perhaps it is just my perception of the opening accord. Anise is something I am not fond of, but it is very light here, and I actually like it. This dissipates quickly and the mocha and vanilla dominate, anchored by green notes in the background. It sounds incongruous but it actually works quite well. Great longevity. Very sexy!

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

The Dreamer by Versace

I like tobacco smell so i put it on whenever i see on a shelf and enjoy sniffing on my wrist. On meit smells like it does in the bottle; a lot of tobacco with a bit iris and amber; nice but too masculine for a lady. Last week i had my husband next to me when i saw it on a perfumery shelf and while putting on me i give him a try. I cannot buy myself such a masculine fragrance but would be great if he liked and bought one i thought. but no chance. On him it was awful. No tobacco no amber. Just a disturbing intricate smell you find in an old pharmacy lab. Disappointed... The conclusion; do not buy it without trying or buy as a gift....

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Versace Man by Versace

İ hate neroli, i do not like cardamom or bergamot much. I like tobacco a lot but i don't smell any of them in Versace man. They should have blended all very hard i think. The main point is i like it. When smellt on a card İt is sweet (fruity floral) to me which i would think to be feminine but when worn by a man it is not. It is an atractive young modern humorous man fragrance.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Shalimar by Guerlain

I wanted to love it! And what did I get: pure, unadulterated Peaceful Sleep (an insect repellant stick), a smell I've always found highly intrusive. Probably my worst perfume disappointment. And although I should give it another go, and will do so, I cannot but give it a thumbs down.
    EDIT: Uhm, so yeah, I gave it another two goes. And now I see it's all about vanilla! The topnotes still rankle, I apparently dislike bergamot, but a bit later this is lovely and classy, warm and elegant. Not for date night, necessarily, but I'd say (and this is the EDT, dabbed on) an office classic. Not age bound, either.

07th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2009)

sigma88's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre is an amazing fragrance. It is a three dimensional beauty, which gives off its secrets slowly, as it dries off. For some reason, I've been using it for the past year now, non stop, everyday. I've gotten so used to the fragrance, that I don't even notice it on me anymore. I don't feel like I want to wash it off my neck, because it never becomes overpowering. Once a while, I will get a hint when the wind blows on my neck, and I fall in love all over again.
    Terre has an outer aura that is subtle and leathery-sweet, with a mild hint of sweetness. It is this exactly thing that I've fallen in love with. The closer you get to the skin, the more prominent and in your face organgey it becomes. It is subtle and elegant. It is almost like Terre is Bigarade Concentree, only 20 years older, with mature and poised presentation. It is not in your face orange, and carries an enigmatic feel to it. I just hope they keep making it. One of the only fragrances I've found that's a keeper for life.

Kerry Rose's avatar

Versace by Versace

I love this fragrance. It is fresh and floral like a spring garden right after the rain. Very natural.