Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Pour Un Homme by Caron

very dated, gives me a headache, must be the lavender.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Oriental woody fragrance for men. The noses behind this fragrance are Francis Demachy and Louise Turner. Good but I prefer Fhrenheit 0 degres.

Hoos's avatar

Gentlemen's Cologne by Castle Forbes

To my nose, CF Gentlemen’s Cologne just has too much going on – it seems to want to be all things. It’s not muddy or unpleasant. But it’s not unified or harmonious, either.

The topnotes are definitely citrus (I get bergamot and neroli; maybe some petitgrain – kind of a greenishness to the citrus). The citrus notes last for about an hour and fades down into a green middle. Oakmoss and some lavender, but a “piney” kind of lavender.

There are still notes of citrus for a fairly pleasant chypre. But it’s not an elegant chypre. It kind of bounces around the middle notes – sometimes more green/mossy than floral; other times it’s more floral. There were a couple of times that it smelled like a very feminine floral.

The drydown. Oh my the drydown. After about six hours of the middle notes, the drydown comes across as spicy/woody. It seems to go back and forth between cedar and cinnamon. I will say that the cedar in this frag is excellent. The few times I get a whiff of it. For much of the drydown, it has been mostly cinnamon and maybe cardamom.

Sillage is good – there’s a potency to it that’s not overpowering. An application to the wrists/hands has been plenty. It doesn’t have heavy projection, so it’s not bugging the folks down the hall.

The thing about this fragrance, for me, is that there’s just too much going on. I am not partial to one-note fragrances, but I don’t enjoy things this complex.

Overall, the individual notes in this frag are excellent. It creates ambivalence in me: I like the individual notes tremendously, yet am neither overwhelmed nor impressed by how they play together. It plays more like an orchestra at an early, partially-hungover rehearsal than an orchestral performance led by a maestro. Maybe that’s it! There seems to be no maestro to this concoction.

everso's avatar

Jean Luc Amsler Privé Homme by Jean Luc Amsler

this is a very very chilled, calm, dignified, and fresh scent. It's very subtle, with hints of woodiness, leather, and freshness. the closest thing to compare it to would be a lighter, fresher version of Helmut Lang's Cuiron....in fact, they do have some similarities overall. Cuiron is much more powerful and masculine though. If Cuiron is a Porsche 911, then this is more a Mercedes S-Class.

Jemimagold's avatar

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

This is just my kind of citrus fragrance: lemony, zesty, dry, spicy with a hint of rosemary. As Racheal Ray would say on her TV show, “Yum-o!” The only thing that bothers me though about Lemon Sorbet is its woeful lack of sillage and the way it leaves my skin after 30-40 minutes. I just want to yell, “Hey, come back, Lemon Sorbet. I really liked you!”

Here are Lemon Sorbet's notes, as gleaned from various perfume websites: lemon, rosemary, vetiver, bergamot, orange, lavender.

Jemimagold's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

I am a huge citrus fan and I like everything from Light Blue, to Eau d’Hadrien, to Bigarade Concentree (plus I have many Diptyque candles) so I was all prepared to love Oyédo . Unfortunately, Oyédo was flat and disappointing with a distinctive overlay of sweetish powdery notes which obscured any meaningful citrus smell. To my nose, Oyédo is a close fragrance kin to my local grocery store’s house brand of lemon scented fabric softener, which is not a compliment.

There is no zing or fun at all with Oyédo . As I smelled it, I just kept thinking “generic boring sweet lemon”. Yawn. For comparison purposes, I spritzed Etro’s Lemon Sorbet on my other wrist which was decidedly lemony, spicy and stylish, in contrast.

satchiesmom's avatar

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I wore this fragrance constantly in the mid-nineties, then got burned out on it. I just purchased another bottle this week, and I find I'm falling in love with it all over again.

PashaRuski's avatar

Ukraine Ukraine

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

When I first smelled it the top notes were really bad. It didn't even smell like a fragrance, just some kind of random smell. It kind of smells synthetic.

lauradiana's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Ultrared by Paco Rabanne

I lovery minute of it! Though when smelling the bottle is very chewing-gummish when sprayed, it opens a fruit basket with lots of sofistication and depth..

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Gorgeous fragrance: complex, rich, great sillage. Different notes display prominently depending on your body chemistry. Unforgettable.

07th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th June, 2008)

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

I bought it for my husband as an intro to wearing scent everyday. He's not as nose-y as I am, so I thought this would be a nice easy push to get him into fragrance. It's working well. The sweetness blends into his chemistry really well, and the smoky, leathery spices give his macho-ness some refinement. He's getting a lot more attention than usual from women. He likes it. So do I.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

It's nice... simple, elegant and rather delicious in a subtle way. The drydown is especially lovely. I get a lot of sandalwood/vanilla warmth. It is not terribly long-lasting however.

07th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 08th May, 2010)

Blush by Marc Jacobs

Gorgeous. So simple, fresh and pretty and innocent. I bought it to wear on my wedding day. Perfection.

Pure Poison Elixir by Christian Dior

I bought this for myself a few years ago; I guess it had just been released. I needed something really powerfully sexy and this was it. A seductive punch in the face. Great complexity, VERY SEXUAL, smooth and easy on the dry down, long life. Unabashed hedonism in a bottle.

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Somehow I really dislike this scent. It even smells a bit like urine! I can't seem to enjoy it in any stage, not even the drydown! In some occations it could be appropiate, but I would only use it a few days a year and will definately never buy a bottle of this stuff!

Not super bad but definately nothing I like either!

Ooh and I nearly forgot: the longevity on this one is great! But do you want to have it around you for a long time, that's the question! Test it before you buy!

07th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 08th May, 2008)

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

I've got no clue why there hasn't been made any reviews so far for this great scent!

Silver Factory opens on citrus and lavender and I can't say I was happy right from the start. I don't like to walk around smelling like I am some sort of citrus, but things change soon enough!

After a few minutes it smelled very nice, not sharp at all and the longer I have it on me the more I start to appreciate it!

After a couple of hours, the iris seems to reassert itself, and it takes on a velvety finish with earthy undertones. It is more dry than sweet, and more dusky than dark.

Having it on me for a couple of hours I think it smells absolutely gorgeous!

The bottle is retro and modern at the same time and looks absolutely brilliant!

8.5/10 !

The complete notes are: bergamot, grapefruit, lavender, violet, incense, jasmine, iris, amber, wood resin and cedar.

questor's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is my eau de vie! I could bathe in it, but haven't yet as I do not wish to intoxicate everyone about me in a combination of what would be a haze of 'ball room' sized tack room and a planitude of civets! CdR is my signature scent and has been since discovering those blissful depths during a trip to Paris three years ago! Now I always make a detour to top up my supply whenever I am there. It seems best to wear at night and from the start of autumn through to the melts of spring whenever! It is the best and most original of the vintage Chanel collection!

After the inital zing of citrus, the yummy buttery tones of warm leather gently emerge and lead on eventually to the spicy darkness of those recesses of a delciously inviting chambre de cuir. This scent conjurs up images of Chantilly, birch woods at dusk, Sobranie cigarettes, beluga caviar and vodka. It is sheer heaven and as a half Russian, I am utterly intoxicated by it! I am absorbed by how CdR challenges you, unlike other Chanel scents! With its near primeval edge, CdR has an intriguing and somewhat untouchable apsect that leaves me to always want for more!

I for one find the EdT rather sharp and its dry down a great deal less subtle and nuanced than the EdP, and my last bottle of EdT of 200 mls went off after only seven months in its box in a cool shaded spot! Needless to say, due to my preference for the scrumptious EdP I have not replace the EdT and shan't.

My only criticism of this, my fave, is that it has none of the lasting power of a Guerlain, which makes it a very expensive habit to indulge at 100 pounds a go for a 15 ml bottle.

dreams&drafts's avatar

Tom of Finland by Etat Libre d'Orange

A graceful breathe of birch leaves and iris slides down into an embrace of leather and smoky warmth. Along the way there’s some antiseptic rubber and a metallic edge. There’s a fairly sturdy waft to it and it lasts well on my skin. It’s unusual without being difficult, and I can see myself being completely fascinated by any man wearing it, and wondering about the adventurous life he must lead, that he smells of boats, and horse stables, and hiking trails and Lamborghinis. As the name suggests, this was created in homage to the artist Tom of Finland, which makes it a man’s fragrance. Which wouldn’t bother me in the slightest and I’d have no qualms about pinching any gentleman’s bottle, should he be careless enough to leave it in my vicinity.

coolnose's avatar

Morocco Morocco

Alegria by Adolfo Dominguez

Sweetish and fresh but the 'alegria' name is a little way off because this is quite floral. I expected a womens citrus but instead this resembles Issey or Kenzo for men and has an almost certain yuzu / seaweed note in there. Not exceptional, not bad at all; a comfortable women's daytime scnet that possibly could be unisex. Adolfo Dominguez fragrances are generally underrated in the UK but are BIG in Spain and Portugal, as are the designer clothing ranges.

Magnolia Pourpre by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I don’t know why it’s called "magnolia": I don’t really smell any magnolia in it. It is floral, though – there is a definite rose note. Unfortunately, I get orchid, too (I don’t like orchid notes in fragrances). Besides those florals there are a solid honey note and lots of powdery notes whose source I can’t identify. The sandalwood that is listed for the base is not available to my nose, but I believe that I get a slight leather note in the background – leather is not listed in the pyramid. Whatever, I don’t find anything in this scent that is especially attractive or accomplished … it just doesn’t come together for me.

08th May, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2008)

Ormolu by Penhaligon's

Top Notes - Armoise, Chamomile, Bergamot
    Middle Notes - Jasmine, Rose, Violet, Ylang
    Base Notes - Sandalwood, Musk, Moss, Amber

This one shoots down my image of Penhaligon fragrances being dignified, tasteful, and impeccable creations. The first sniff gives me an excellent herbal / floral accord that lasts for about ten seconds before it morphs into a pushy grape bubblegum note. I don’t know what in the top notes causes this response to my nose – this is the kind of reaction I sometimes get from sweet fruity accords with almond in it. After the first ten seconds, I don’t smell any chamomile in this super sweet accord, and I sure wish I did – it would cut the overly sweet, powdery response that I am getting. The fragrance never reaches the middle florals for me; it stays with the powdery bubblegum accord, reducing intensity until it just sort of peters out with no swansong. For a drydown I get no moss or sandalwood, but I do get a negligible amber and musk: the sweetness nor the powder just don’t let up for me. I can certainly understand why Ormulu was discontinued: I highly approve.

Io Capri by Carthusia

IO Capri by Carthusia is a pleasant little fragrance. Basically green, the whole fragrance is centered around fig and tea. It is similar to Philosykos from Diptyque, but IO Capri has less sillage, and longevity. For as simple as it is, Io has more than enough character and refinement to demand serious consideration if one is looking for a green / fig fragrance. I find the fig the dominant note in the opening accord, and, to my nose, it’s as good of green fig note as I have experienced. I think that there is a bit of mint associated with the fig note, but the fig leaf truly rules. The tea is background… it is not an especially identifiable tea note – it seems rather ordinary – but that is not a problem because it does such a good job in grounding the potential “green” excesses of the fig note – a problem I have with several fig leaf fragrances. I totally enjoy the fig note in this fragrance and Io Capri may well be my first “fig leaf” fragrance because I find it so wearable compared to others that I have tested. This is a fragrance by Laura Tonato and her excellence in composing fragrances shines through again.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

OK, it’s good – it doesn’t have an excess of character, but that could be said about almost all the aquatic offerings. Baldessarini Del Mar is quite clean in the sense of clear, fresh notes and accords, and it is a little bit marine but not for very long from its opening. It turns sweet after the initial accord and stays that way until the dry down and beyond. The dry down lists a lot of notes, but I mainly get vetiver with a touch of incense and, of course, the amber that sweetens the fragrance for its entire run. Baldessarini Del Mar is notable for its absence of synthetic ambiance. I’ll vote a neutral on this … if I liked the category better than I do, it would likely be a thumbs up.

Oriental Woody by Pecksniff's

Oriental Woody (Quite a name, isn’t it?) opens subtly with citrus, lavender, and cinnamon leaf – bright, refined, sophisticated, and quite sensual. I find the opening wonderfully well balanced – quite sophisticated. The middle accord is floral and fruity: a traditional combination of rose, jasmine, and geranium with a touch of peach – soft and subtle with the jasmine taking precedence and most of the sweetness staying in the background. The “Woody” moniker becomes appropriate with the base a smooth woody sweetness of sandalwood, cedar, leather, and tonka. I find this fragrance to be typical of the Pecksniffs I’ve tried before: Every one I’ve experienced is refined, subtle, and sophisticated… Oriental Woody’s additional descriptors are “sensual” and “seductive.” This is probably my favorite of all the Pecksniff I have tried, but, like the other Pecksniff’s, it is too fleeting.

Balmy Days & Sundays by Ineke

Balmy Days & Sundays is green. It opens as a soft minty / grassy green and quickly loses its beautifully delicate herbalness as it moves to a soft, enfolding pure grassy green. The grass accord is excellent in its rendition of grass: its portrayal is so real. Mind you, this is not the freshly-cut grass accord that is offered by many other fragrances… This is the lying-on- the-lawn- on-the- perfect- summer-day grass. Soft, easeful notes humbly offered up by the grass’s own natural inhalations and expirations instead of the brutalized aromas hacked and bludgeoned from the defenseless grass as a part of control-freak mankind’s perpetual war to subdue and enslave the other denizens of the loving Earth mother. Be that as it may, this wonderful, transparent grass note then melds with the florals of the heart … extremely light florals to my nose because my dry skin gobbles up floral notes, and these are light notes to start out with so there’s not much room for interpretation on my part. I agree with Ayala that I get lily of the valley in the heart notes, but I can’t identify any thing else except that the heart is a charmingly gentle floral / grass accord. Chypre dry down? Well, the greens and florals that preceded, continue on for a couple hours but I don’t get any drydown except for a nearly negligible musk – nowhere near a chypre drydown. Balmy Days & Sundays is a transparent, loving, lovely feminine grassy green fragrance.

JaimeB's avatar

Homme de Grès by Grès

A little smoky, a little leathery (birch tar?), but mostly herbal and citrusy. This is edgy enough to be bracing, but not enough to be annoying. The best thing about it its is straightforwardness. It gets to the point and keeps to it. It is not linear; rather, it develops quite nicely. Even so, it sticks to its theme and is consistently lemony.

This is great for warmer weather, but the smokiness makes it appropriate for cooler weather or evening wear as well.

JaimeB's avatar

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

Very green and slightly soapy. I like this one because it keeps a tradition alive that seems almost to have died out. It smells good, fresh and green, and it backs that up with a good, solid construction. The foundation of this in woody oriental notes give it presence and lasting power. The middle notes with jasmine and carnation are sweet and spicy, which makes for a kind of "romantic" feel to this scent. Moss and fir in the base make the drydown a little different from today's usual. This is an older, fresher style of woody-oriental accord.

syidi_radzi's avatar

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Nothing special about this frag than its bottle. The design is superb but the frag composition is not. Fern + Clove + Tobacco etc, clean fresh for the opening that lasts about 10 minutes then it dries out to strong powerful smell of tobacco.

syidi_radzi's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I do agree with DULLAH, rather to have it named Black, it is supposed to be called either Chrome or Aluminium, but i'm trying to be fair here, regardless of its name, Black, the fragrance is actually excellent.

The composition is quite rare, mango + sage + armoise + patchouli etc, which to me it appears just too overwhelming, as every note is composed to overpower each other, it is long lasting, it stays for up to 8 - 10 hours. Great!

Mookie's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I'm not a fan of ouzo or licorice. I could never suffer myself to consume either. That said, I found this scent oddly intriguing at first, until the anise crept its way into my nose. If I could learn to enjoy the anise, this would be a great scent for me. But I can't.

The vanilla and cedarwood are very pleasing at the drydown. So if you like licorice or ouzo, give this one a shot.