Fragrance Reviews from May 2008

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

Safraline is a molecular derivative of saffron created by Swiss perfume house Givaudan. The perfume is inspired by the initial question of knowing whether gold has a smell and then the idea of finding an olfactory equivalent of it....
    I was a little worried about this new launch, specially after the huge deception on the luxe range. The idea based on the recreation of how could gold smell like, made me wonder for a little while, and I had flashing images in my mind of a tacky, terrible, overly power scent.
    Well; what a great surprise. The perfume is superb.
    The bottle is very appealing and exhudes luxury itself; it's a shinny gold version of the original pebble-like design of the company.
    The juice could be easily going into the Guerilla series, they have a very alike character.

It's based in the saffron, curcuma, pepper and amber in an arid strange way.
    To me nose, 888, opens light and zesty with pepper note, melting with a fiery , grant slap of playful coriander,a nd there's a bubblely effervescent gorgeous accent going on oin the background.
    I can detect the synthetic saffron straight away, flying around the whole formula, showing off its own presence.
    The initial sniff , to my nose, is kind of feminine, but it doesn't bother me at all. It could be definitely a Guerilla 2 old brother, but as it's settling down, the perfume get a nice gorgeous character. The safraline share path with hints of nice metallic geranium leaves that melts with the curcuma brings a vague hint of metallic sour mustard like odour..
    I have to admit that the blend of safraline and curcuma gives a feminine twist of the whole perfume, but it's enough pleasant to be wore by a man.

The fragrance keeps heady and confortable while the drydown introduces the amber that add a warm twist to the whole formula.
    The drydown is dry and bitter.
    I realy like this scent, as much of the other Comme des garçons line, simply beacuse I'm a big fan of the company.
    I probably have to try twice to get used of the arid, acrid aura that float around you when you wear it .
    It decants a little to the feminine side, but who cares really?

Lisaandtheword's avatar

FUBU Plush for Women by FUBU

fresh, light, sweetsie gourmand.. I think I smell lime, sandalwood & caramel. I find it too girly & boring.

scentsitivity's avatar

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse (ZMP) reminds me of two other citrus-based Creeds, namely Citrus Bigarrade and Neroli Sauvage. And of the three, ZMP is the least memorable. ZMP is similar to Citrus Bigarrade (both have citrus and floral notes), but I find the citrus opening in Citrus Bigarrade to be brighter and fresher.

Moving from comparison to description, ZMP opens with a tart, watery citrus. Floral and woody notes then emerge. I get decent longevity out of it, but I don’t find it especially interesting or compelling. I also don’t see it as well-suited for a woman, although Creed lists it as unisex.

Oviatt's avatar

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I love this subtle leather scent. Soft and floral with a bookish leather vibe, this reminds me--for some reason--of Grey Flannel, but as if Grey Flannel's richer European cousin came to town. One of Heeley's greats (along with Cardinal).

bthrock's avatar

Endless Ocean Pacific For Men by Ocean Pacific

The most inapppropriate name possible. This scent is pleasant enough, in a casual, fresh but non-distinctive way -- but it is GONE after 10 minutes. I have never encountered anything that fades so fast, and that includes Windex. I feel cheated and I'm looking forward to finishing off the bottle, which shouldn't take long since I can literally take 10 or 12 spritzes and nobody even notices that I have anything on by the time I get out in the world.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Coco by Chanel

The opening is very bold for me which makes me think it suitable for an middle aged diamonds and cashmere lady but on the dry down it becomes so coaxing with a parade of flowers infront of a spicy vanilla background. It is a multilayered, colorful, well blended fragrance. One can like it or not but no doubt it is a piece of art.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

This fragrance speaks to common taste more than her sister coco does. Coco Mademoiselle opens with cheerfull citrus and flowers then dries to a flowery base that's mainly rose. that What happens in Versace Bright Crystal. After half an hour they are very alike. They are both nice flowers. But when compared to Coco; it is flatter and just cute. By these properties it is easier to use but definitely wasting name of Coco.

HDS1963's avatar

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really like this - although I hate the opening notes of milk and honey - I mean WHY bother?

Get through all of that creamy nonsense at the beginning and what you end up with is a tartly piquant pepper fragrance which is very refined and elegant. It smells a lot and I do mean A LOT like a cross between Blenheim Bouquet and Endymion, probably leaning more to Endymion but with the pepperyness of Blenheim Bouquet, with a wave of the hand in the direction of the opening of Opus too.

Let's put it this way, it smells like it should be a Penhaligon's fragrance. It's very nice. But if like me you already own Endymion which I think smells nicer all the way through, I wouldn't pay L'Artisan's prices to get one.

It still gets a thumbs up from me though because the drydown is delicious - long lasting on my skin too.

HDS1963's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don't understand the attraction to this fragrance at all. It starts off with a kind of hospital ward discinfectant smell to it mixed with the swill tray from a beer pump and then thankfully dies to a close to the skin spicy woodiness. I have to say you have to go through a lot of smelling unpleasant to get to the dry down, which is at best pleasant and at worst frankly rather average.

Thumbs down from me.

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Created by Pierre Wargnye. Top notes are basil, grapefruit, lemon verbena and watermelon; middle notes are black currant, lavender and violet leaf; base notes are patchouli and woodsy notes.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I like what this fragrance does. Fair enough, it's very synthetic, to the point of reminding me of shampoo when I first started wearing it, but synthetic or not this is a nice scent. It 'performs' well too - by that I mean that it lasts long, and travels far, but is not at all forceful. I guess you could call it a great all rounder, works anywhere, but apparently some of the later cool water fragrences (especially deep) are better, so I think I'll try them next time.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Err, this is rubbish! I wore Joop Jump for an evening out a while back and loved it, so decided to get myself some Joop, blind buy. Why I didn't just go for the one I already knew I liked, I do not know, but I've learned my lesson. This stuff is sickly sweet, almost nice but nauseatingly headstrong, and once you've put it on, you won't be able to get away - this stuff fills up rooms instantly and I've even been told off for wearing it! Do yourself and everybody else a favour, go for jump. Update: I gave this fragrance away to a friend, and his flatmate actually gave him some money to go out and get a new one! I'm not kidding!

Kenzoair by Kenzo

Not for everybody I'm sure, but personally this really works on my skin. Fresh, sweet, unobtrusive and clear, this is very well balanced and the bottle looks great. The scent is quite transparent, and airy, but then it stays around for longer than any other fragrance I own, and just kind of 'pops up' very now and again in a really nice way. I don't think I've ever really seen licqourice used in this way before. Total thumbs up.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

I'm way too young for this, and i prefer fresher, more simple fragrances, you might want to bear that in mind. There is no doubt that this smells nice, sophisticated and relatively mascauline, no one is going to hate it, but there's something a little too dark and fruity in a dry, sweet way for me. Very leathery too.

josechan1's avatar

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

I love this fragrance. It reminds me of walks on the New England coast on cloudy days...salty, breezy, fresh, with hints of the nearby trees and grasses. I actually don't wear this but spray it around my rooms when I need to be taken away from the daily grind and transported to one of my favorite beaches.....it really works! This is a very uplifting fragrance.

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

just so damn light! it smells good but just so subtle. i wouldn't waste my money for a fragrance that i can barely smell (for fifteen minutes). quality ingredients but it is not there after application. just so light even for a citrus based one.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

how can a fragrance be so spicy yet so fresh? i admire givenchy for xeryus rouge, for the notes, for the fresh attitude (even in summer i wear this) for the longevity and sillage. i consider xeryus rouge as one of the best releases for all time. i wish that it won't be discontinued. this is the second in my all time favourites list just after escada casual friday.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

i think this fragrance is the best in the lanvin collection. arpege starts with a nectarine and pepper burst, it smashes itself to your face! than in ten minutes, it dries down to a very pleasant but strong peppery accord, nutmeg and vanilla start to help the middle notes to give a creamy and spicy feeling. it lasts and lasts as a peppery patchouli and sandalwood fragrance... longevity is 6 hours on my skin and 24 hours on fabric. sillage is also very good.

imho; this one is not for the aquatic/citrus/floral/woody lovers. and nor for the office days. it is a bit too strong and cloying for office or casual wear. you may wear it at nights and for romantic times. (but i dont think that every women love it due to its heavy spicy feeling)

Jemimagold's avatar

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Jardins de Bagatelle is one of those perfumes that I used to love in the 1990's but it now smells heavy and cloying compared with fresh new beauties like 31 rue Cambon and Lys Mediterranee. Even Creed's Love in White puts this to shame and I know it is not the most popular scent on the MUA Fragrance Board.

I'm a bit sad about no longer admiring Jardins de Bagatelle because for a while, it seemed so Parisian and elegant to me. Now it just seems like an obvious sweet-ish floral bouquet of roses, jasmine, iris and tuberose.

Per Basenotes, here are the notes: Rose, Tuberose, Neroli, Gardenia and Magnolia.

Jemimagold's avatar

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I stumbled across Cuir Pleine Fleur when I was in one of my leather moods and ordered this unsniffed off a favorite decanter's website. I love vintage Diorling (aka "Leather Goddess") and so decided to do a comparison sniff-test.

Diorling (at least the vintage version) is full-on new Cadillac car leather whereas Cuir Pleine Fleur is a delicate floral/leather fragrance that is ethereal and heartbreakingly beautiful. It is very well blended and I could only barely catch the violet note. Cuir Pleine Fleur is quite soft and not too long lasting but I am so in love with it that I am willing to keep re-applying it. I don't believe my current decant will last long.

Here are the notes per LuckyScent: violet, mimosa, birch, soft leather notes and vetiver.

baudilus's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I was at Saks yesterday sniffing the Bonds for a gift for my wife. after I'd decided on a gift, the SA was nice enough to walk around the counter with me, just sniffing some other things - we got around to the Hermes section, and all of the testers were on a little tray, but there was a small display for the Mousson - immediately I pointed and said "Can I smell that?"

"Sure," she said, and sprayed a card for me. I waited a while for the alcohol to dissipate, because I didn't want my judgement to be marred by a premature sniff. I lifted the card to my nose . . .

Instantly I was transported to a recently rain soaked and wind battered Tuscan garden - I could smell the wet and battered flowers, the humid air, and the soaked earth beneath my feet.

"Wow." I said out loud. The only other time i've said that out loud was when sniffing Himalaya. Even that experience was more of a harmonious meeting of skin and scent, like two long lost siblings reuniting after years apart.

This was different - this was another time and place, preserved in a simple little bottle with a simple little cap.

"That is a very accurate description," I told the SA.
    "What is?"
    "The name - A garden after the monsoon."
    "Oh, yes. It's their latest."

I asked her a question that I have since forgotten, but it caused her to go off looking for something, perhaps an information card. I decided I must see how this reacts with my skin, so I gave my wrist a single, strong spritz, and watched as the alcohol faded away and the scent dug its heels into my pores.

Another whiff, and I'm back in Tuscany. This time though, I'm not in a flower garden - this time the spices that were growing here had been pulled from the Earth, and came to rest on top of the wet soil. Ginger and cardamom and pepper filled my nostrils, hinting faintly at the petals that were once peacefully basking in the sunlight.

I bought the bottle.

Fast forward six hours, and the scent is just as strong as it was when I took that first spritz. A passing breeze floats the scent into my nose, and I notice how different the sillage is - it's green, but it's not as heavey, not as wet. it's lighter, and a little bit more floral than getting a strong sniff from inches away - a good thing too, because if it were stronger it could be headache inducing. I wash my wrist vigorously, but the scent is still there, albeit a bit lighter.

This is not a scent for everyone - it's quite linear, VERY green, VERY spicy, slightly synthetic. This is NOT a blind buy candidate. I think it's a good one to layer, although i have yet to try it [as this one is gift wrapped]. If anything, even one spray can be a bit much. i recommend this layer technique - spritz, then immediately wash the spot to "lighten" the scent, then apply a complimentary fragrance. I'm also curious as to how it will perform in cold weather.

If my wife doesn't like it, I'm keeping it for myself. If she does, she may find that her supply curiously diminishing over time.

Test it out. If you do like it, get the small bottle - it will last longer than anything else on your shelf, because you need to spray so little.

DutchSmell's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Millésime Impérial by Creed

God I love this scent! It smells nice right from the start! The longevity is just good (but not outstanding) and for me it's the perfect spring/summer fragrance! It's fresh (or clean), while being bright and warm at the same time! The watermelon is what makes it so great for hot weather! I could wear this everday (unlike most other scents I got) and will probably even buy a big bottle!

An absolutely outstanding perfume!

Be warned for fake Creed fragrances being sold on Ebay, they look exactly like the real thing, but the smell ain't coming close!

zed1975's avatar

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

A light nice scent. Fresh, slightly floral. Definately peppery and masculine. I think it's a good mix between classy and casual. If you want all day longevity you have to be generous with the juice on you. Pretty unexpensive (I bought a 100 ml bottle for 10 €)!!! A standing out bang for the buck!

Aylin's avatar

Samarkand by Body Shop

To me it smells like Cabochard (and a prefume called Bandit that I discovered recently). I spent years looking for Samakand replicas only to discover Cabochard on my mothers dressing table. Surprising as my mother doesn't like sandalwood or oils, and her bottle of cabochard looked so old fashioned that I never bothered trying it, instead I smelt a lot of aftershaves in deprtment stores. Neither of these seem to have the staying power of the oil - I wish I had bought a litre of it back when it was available - but who would have thought they would discontinue such a wonderful smell - it felt fresh, exotic, mysterious, sporty and even coped with the smell of tabacoo from smoking. I wish they brought it back.

Scarlet Girl's avatar

Intuition by Estée Lauder

I very much liked this fragrance, I always think it smells of guava, perhaps it is the mixture of scents that combine to produce the guava effect on me. I love the smell of guava, it has a very distinct smell that I just want to keep inhaling, like this fragrance.

Scarlet Girl's avatar

Première by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

I love this scent. It is the right mix of Spicy and woody as well as having some floral quality to it. At first it is quite sharp, it stays fairly sharp but it is not as piercing as when first sprayed. It makes its presence known without being forceful.

L'Aventurier's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This smells like a slightly floral, branchy tree or bush that I tumbled into in my youth, on a sunny day. The notes I get the most are those of grapefruit, petitgrain, neroli and sandalwood and for some reason a touch of leather. Either way, this fragrance speaks for itself - it's elegant yet can be worn casually and it's just remarkably intriguing. Like most Creeds, the notes are blended into a smooth and beautiful composition, however, (as Vibert said below), it (fortunately) doesn't smell anything like Millisime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed or Erolfa. Neroli Sauvage is a very unique, signature-type scent that has lots of character. It's fresh, crisp, citrusy and woodsy without smelling at all like the many L'eau D'issey clones out there.

This is one of the few Creeds which is actually somewhat worth the money. If you're looking for something unique, try this. So far this is my favourite Creed fragrance and the only cologne I bought this year. This is perfect for daytime in the spring and fall, but it can also pass for a summer scent. Age range is anywhere from the 20s and beyond. This is definitely worth trying at least once. Although it's not incredibly sensual like le Male or Black Xs, its simply beautiful, alluring and gives off a great vibe.

Update: I just bought another bottle of this and it smells totally different than my previous one. Other reviewers were right - each batch seems to be different so beware! While one bottle was woodsy and long lasting, the other was simply citrusy, and only lasted an hour. I had to return it...

08 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 June, 2008)

jeh's avatar

Vétiver and Rum by Helan

This is wonderfully reliable and straightforward male fragrance. One could you use it everyday because it's not terribly expensive despite its Italian provenance.

jeh's avatar

G7 Spiked by Gap

The initial impression is bracing. The dry down is some kid's overturned chemistry set.

odysseusm's avatar

Fete d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

I have completely revised my review. My earlier comments were based on my confusion between this scent and one with a similar name, "Fete D'Hiver pour Homme." The notes are completely different between the two, and the latter morphed into Bois D'Hiver in Ayala's current product line.

Here, we see a rosewood (bois de rose) centered scent. Rosewood oil is very powerful, with a languid and rich note reminiscent of deep roses but also furniture oil and old wood. It can dominate a scent if overdone. Here, it is definitely the focal point but it is handled well, and provides a good foundation for the pleasant and warm spice mix and the floral notes. The scent is rich, cozy and not too sweet. There are nice hints of incense and sandalwood in the dry-down.

08 May, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2012)