Fragrance Reviews from June 2008

Joshaugustt's avatar

Royal Blue by Brooksfield

ZENPIPER'S REVIEW (BELOW) IS A PERFECT REVIEW FOR THIS GREAT COLOGNE. THE ONLY PROBLEM (AND IT IS A PROBLEM)...IS THAT IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND ANYWHERE. IF YOU COME ACROSS IT...GIVE IT A TRY.

Joshaugustt's avatar

B.Green by Brooksfield

odysseusm'S REVIEW (BELOW) IS A PERFECT REVIEW FOR THIS THUMBS WAY UP COLOGNE. AS THE REVIEW ALSO NOTES...IT IS NOT AN EASY COLOGNE TO FINE. IT SEEMS ALL OF BROOKSFELD COLOGNES ARE DIFFICULT TO FIND...EVEN IN ITALY WHERE THEY ARE PRODUCED. BUT IF YOU CAN FIND IT...TRY IT.

mikey_p's avatar

Gold Man by Amouage

My first experience of this was somewhat shocking, even to me. Now, I would like to think I'm an open minded kinda guy an I'm willing to try most things once as long as it is legal and it won't kill me (I even wear Carnal Flower with ease). However, even I was not at all prepared for the epic floral extravaganza that is Amouage Gold. The first blast of this was a floral explosion of such richness and yet such delicacy that I thought that no man could ever pull this one off. This is a shockingly beautiful melange of jasmine, tuberose, civet francinsence and musk like I have never experienced before in a "mens" fragrance. You have to be secure in your masculinity to wear this one, and I most certainly am. In the book "Perfumes: The Guide", this is described as a "Romantic Floral". Very apt..

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2008)

Renato's avatar

Blue Stratos by Parfums Bleu

There's little point describing this scent - it's ubiquitous and is still being sold everywhere in Australia. Although I have a big bottle of the EDT, for some strange reason, I've always been more partial to the slightly weaker version in the underarm deodorant cans.
    Renato

teflondog's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

A creamy sandalwood that surprised me. I was expecting a sickening sweet scent but instead was greeted by a rather fresh opening. It is sweet but not it's not the sugar bomb that others lead you to believe it is. I wore this in warm weather and it remarkably did not get cloying. It starts off slightly sweet and fresh with subtle spicy notes, then eventually dries down to a bittersweet sandalwood drydown with a creamy tonka base. I rarely give a Creed a positive rating so there has got to be something special/different about this scent.

the_good_life's avatar

Best of UDV by Ulric de Varens

A drugstore-focused fragrance company that churns out a confusing number of lines, perfumes selling in the € 9-15 Euro range. I got my three bottles for a Euro each on ebay out of sheer curiosity, as Jean Claude Ellena did a lot of work for Varens. "Best of" is already discontinued (embarassing, considering the name) , which is a good thing for Diesel, because the top of this smells a whole lot like the juicy-fruity-citrus opening of Fuel for Life men (a good designer scent which gets an exaggerated e 4 star rating from Luca Turin). It peters out into a rather bland fabric softener kind of thing I don't want even close to my skin. Not really good except for the first five minutes, but you could spend a whole lot more money for this with a designer label slapped on.

the_good_life's avatar

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

An extraordinarily complex and brilliant composition. It's taken me about three months to decide whether I even like it or not. I do. This is an oriental of sorts, but the sweetness is restrained and sophisticated and entwined with resinous and herbal elements - there is the "Occident meets Orient" feeling here that I like about Nicole Farhi pour homme, only this is on a higher plane. Nothing about this perfume is loud. It opens without fanfare, like a true gentleman easing into the ballroom it elegantly takes its rightful place without verbose pronouncements. There's nobility here, and no need to firework the budget on a few dazzling topnotes. What there is, is a beautiful haze of blending notes, the citrus fruits, the green, spicy, foresty, floral and woody elements melt effortlessly into something quite unique - to my nose there is a milky coconut-like sensation at the intersection of all these aspects. There is richness without the heaviness the list of basenotes would suggest. As the long-time head of R&D for Haarman & Reimer, which then became Symrise, Egon Oelkers knows his materials and he certainly had fun with them here. Nearly on par with the oriental perfection of Ambre Sultan.

Vialman's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Red is Back!! I bought 6 bottles, new, sealed, with Elizabeth Arden Dist. Inc. labled under the bottle. This well kept secret re-launch had everyone guessing...is it old stock resurrected? I say No! Some friends I have who are in the "know: and "nose", say the demand over the years has lead to the redefined, relaunch. You won't find it in any major department store..especially since EA is slowly releasing the "new stuff" throughout the internet fragrance stores. It has always been a "hot-seductive" scent, and the formula has not changed. I'm glad I have some stock in it, and I will contnue to buy a few bottles every now and then...just in case they "kill it off". Those in the know pay homage to such a fine and distinguished fragrance.
    I love Red..and always will!
    ~vialman~

FloatingPoint's avatar

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I love my vetiver raw, but this wasn't quite as unrestrained as I had imagined from the reviews here. The opening starts off with a sharp and boozy blast of bitter woods and berries, but that quickly fades; what remains is softened by what is, to my nose at least, a very prominent jasmine note. Not at all the savage beast I was expecting, rather a tame and highly pleasant composition, more "Firebird" than "Rite of Spring." I don't know, maybe my nose is so habituated to vetiver that I've become desensitized, but I've definitely smelled more aggressive vetivers than this.

jasper_244's avatar

Silver Cristal Men by Amouage

ammm - I really cant stand it - so moving it on ...

I thought I was daring in my tastes - and the animalic and spiciness appealed to me in theory - I can see it working for others,but this is just a little too much for me sorry - off to ebay for you now Mr Silver Cristal... my arabian affair is over sorry :( goodbye.

scentsitivity's avatar

Artemisia by Penhaligon's

Penhaligon’s website declares that Artemisia is the ‘aromatic partner to Endymion’ and I would agree. They both are sensual and creamy fragrances, built on different notes, Endymion with a more masculine character and Artemisia the feminine. I must say that I am impressed with Artemisia and wished it were more popular than it seems to be. It has nice floral and fruity elements and what especially appeals to me is how well executed the nectarine is in the opening – very nice! I think it is a good one for a lady. For reference, here are the notes per Penhaligon’s website:

Head Notes: Nectarine and Green Foliage
    Heart Notes: Green Apple, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine Tea, Violet and Vanilla
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Musk, Amber and Vanilla

lookingglass's avatar

Kadota by Michael Storer

First to review Kadota?! For shame all you forbidden fruit lovers. This is the masterpiece of figs, and it is niche to boot. This is not a sicky sweet, girly, fruity frag. Yes, the fig is ripe and juicy, but the greeness adds lush sophistication, and the depth and heat from the musk adds tons of sex appeal. I thought I would be all over Guerlain's Figue-Iris, but Kadota wins out by a mile. Hot skin cooled by dark juices and a shady green breeze: summer never looked so good.

lookingglass's avatar

Kadota by Michael Storer

Colors de Benetton by Benetton

I am really not sure how this smells. I had such a bad introduction to it that I haven't cared to pursue the relationship past hello. A young girl, 19, who worked with me when this first came out wore it to work one day. She was delighted with it and presented her wrist for me to catch a sniff. I believe I actually staggered back. To me it smelled exactly like perspiration and onions, and the smell horrifyingly intensified during the day. I am not sure if it was my nose, her chemistry or the perfume itself. No one else seemed to have the same reaction to it that I did. It was so nauseating that I have steered clear of Benetton ever since.

Sparkling White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

My sister wanted this for Christmas last year so I got her a big set of it. Curious as to her love for it I sprayed a bit on after she opened it and yeech.....lemon pledge. And that note seemed to last a looonnngggg time. However it finally dried down to a nice little floral. Nothing special, for me anyway and I cannot get past the lemon pledge opening. Sis loves it though and if the little Napoleon type person is happy we are all happy.

Forever Krystle by Charles of the Ritz

When this was first launched a friend recomended it to me. It was a blinding headache at first sniff. If I can remember anything past the memory of the pain and nausea it was a floral scent, not really bad. Some ingrediant though was instant migraine for me. Later most of the Avon fragrances did the same to a much lesser degree. Forever Krystle wasn't hugely popular thank god because it got to the point that just a small whiff would bring on a headache.

Création by Ted Lapidus

Someone gave me a bottle of this when it first came out. I was at first offended by it. I thought they had given me some men's cologne. No sweetness, no floral, nothing like any of the perfumes I was used to. But it intrigued me, and I found myself wearing it until the small bottle was gone. It was to me exactly as melancholic-botanist describes. I could not have described it any better. I think I will purchase a little bottle again, my tastes have changed and the intrigue I remember needs to be explored.

Psyer's avatar

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

Great scent. Dewy, translucent, delicate. Especially pleasing to wear in a hot humid summer.....But the problem is: It's way tooooo popular in Asia! You can smell it *everywhere* in China, Japan, etc. Imagine the popularity of CK One when it just came out...

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

The infamous Red. I was a little hesitant to get a sample of this as I've heard it was reformulated and brought back. I have absolutely no idea how the original smells but I got a sampler pack which includes aftershave (which is awesome). Red is definitely a cologne. You know how some fragrances just feel like they're something else other than a cologne? Like a soapy fragrance which makes you rather have soap or a lemony fragrance that makes you wish your cleaning agents smelled that good? Well, Red just screams HELLO THERE I AM A FRRAGRANCE YES I AM WEARING COLOGNE LOOK! It's a powerhouse and I wore this on a warm day. Though no one complained that I stank. However after a few hours it died but those few hours were great. Learthery, citrus, and a hint of that mossy accord I associate with Drakkar Noir and Escada pour Homme.

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Pleasant fig but too "floral" for my taste. Much better than other fig frags I've tried. Leagues better than Marc Jacobs for Men. Dries down to a smooth woody floral scent.

Ghost Man by Ghost

Beautiful gourmand that's not really gourmand outright. It smells foody to me. Like a bake shop after hours when everything has closed down for the night. The lingering aromas of baked flour and sugar. It's probably the cloves. I loved the smell of Djarum Black clove cigarettes and this has got it.

sunsetingalata's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Intuition by Estée Lauder

I got a mini bottle of Intuition as a promotion. Although it is a very nice fragrance, I don't get anything incredible with this perfume. I can definitely smell mandarine. May be that why I prejudged it, because I am usually a fan of powdery fragrances. Well, it is definitely nice. Moreover, I get the most compliments with Intuition. People say that they can smell me even when I am meters away. And they like it. This is why I like to give it a try.

AromaX's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Pyramide:

Top Notes: Rose, Tuberose, Mimosa, Plum
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Patchouli, Orange Flower
    Base Notes: Oakmoss, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Amber

Some other sources mention also spices like coriander, laurel and clove; melon, orange and aldehydes in the top; cedar as a part of woody component. Well – enough ingredients to compose your own bouquet.

My own olfactory experience is – it's all about the rose. Beautiful fresh petals of a dark red evening rose are sinking in a sultry syrup of floral honey and ripe fruit to the bottom of sweet woody amber. It's stupefying viscous and enshrouding directly from the opening. It's pretty linear and doesn't change much from top to the base, except may be the ambery honey sweetness that gets stronger. Knowing has a good sillage.

A good friend of my is using Knowing and I always like to catch a train of it when she is passing by. Really attractive. I completely agree with Estée Lauder's recommendation to use this perfume for a mature refined woman with a touch of class. This perfume gives me a feeling of a warm fond embrace – the one my mother gave me when I was a child.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

ok it is pleasent enough
    pretty little sassy musk
    with some pretty little sassy flowers on top
    I mean, livid tugereuse-iris or somethig like that, like white stained glass...transparent WEAK flower bouquet
    ...then the musk?
    weak weak slightly sweet clean skinny musk
    ...a clean dead body
    Yes! the hair spray! I got this one fore sure
    although the frag is weak/insipid/shortlasting/no projection/blablablah, the overall efect is still quite pleasent but never worth the SL price tag

laurelalexis's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

This was my signature scent for about four to four and a half years . Yes, I was in a monogamous relationship with Samsarafor four and a half years! A long time, given the date I have written this review, I am now only in my late twenties (I can't believe I just told you all that!) Even though I do have other permanent members in my collection which I could never part with, it is with Samsara that I have been with the longest (probably around five years). I was given a sample of her by a Guerlain counter consultant and it was love at first smell. Between the EDP and the EDT, the EDP wins hands down, but of course, as with all fragrances nothing can top the parfum, as that is when all the notes can all be truly come through, and this too applies to Samsara. You have to experience to parfum to truly experince Samsara, as I was lucky enough to do recently.Despite us having 'broken up' over a year ago, I have resolved to buy and always keep a bottle of the Extrait in my collection. Sensual and serene, the whole concept of Samsara appeals to me as the gold stopper of the parfum bottle is said, according to Guerlain, to represent the eye of Buddha - which for someone of my spiritual persuasions is particularly endearing, not to metion the bottle's gorgeous shade of red. However, this is where the name of this late eighties classic puzzles me.

For those of you who don't know, the term 'Samsara' refers the endless cycle of death, birth and rebirth. Samsara is what Buddhists aspire to escape from. For as long as one is in samsara you will never be free of suffering. In other words, Samsara is NOT a good thing! The marketing people for guerlain really should have done their homework first! In my humble opinion, they really should have called it something like nirvana (the rock group of the same name were not yet famous) or, even better and more evocative - 'moksha' - the Hindu term for the release from samsara.

Anyway, enough about the name, back to the fragrance. Samsara is usually classed as an oriental-woody fragrance, and to be honest with you any other classification would be daft judging by the huge amounts of jasmine (oriental) and sandlwood (woody) in its compostion. A warning - if you dislike large amounts of either I would stay away from Samsara. Iris haters may not get on with it either. Oh, and if you don't like fragrances that 'shout' , that announce their presence in the most dramatic way that only a fragrance like this one can, I would move on too. Either that or spray it once on tester card. For example, I once worked as a receptionist for a furniture manufacturers and about two hours or so in to the day, on of the staff came up from the factory floor trying to work out (in his words): "Where that incredible smell is coming from." On working out that it was indeed me, I was amazed as much as he was because it meant that Samsara had crept its way through the vents and onto the factory floor, which I was one floor above. I wasn't wearing too much of it either; but that is the amazing thing about Samasara: it can get louder and louder - but in a soft, enveloping, intoxicating kind of way - like a big lemon/sandlewood/jasmine/iris/ylang/orris/tonka infused cuddle. Yet, spriz on top much and it can give you a headache.

The most commonly acknowldged notes of Samsara are:

Top: Green notes, peach, ylang-ylang, bergamot and lemon

Middle: Iris, violet, orris root, jasmine, rose, and narcissus.

Base: Iris, sandlewood, tonka bean, amber, musk and vanilla.

The EDT is fine, but a little flat. The EDP (my favourite concentration) is perfect if you are worried about the scent taking over everything in your path (and your wardrobe). However, the extrait is...well...sigh....

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

Astaroth's avatar

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This juice is incredible, intoxicating, and luxurious. I loved it as soon as I smelled it on me. In my opinion, it's better than the vast majority of non-niche "classy" fragrances out there (e.g. Tom Ford for Men, Boucheron Pour Homme, most Acqua di Parma --- except for maybe Colonia Assoluta, and even anything by Creed). This is usually what I wear when going to an upscale restaurant well-dressed with someone I want to impress.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2008)

Cirrus's avatar

Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana

First of all:It`s gonna be relauchnched in 2008,only the Eau de Toilette,but better than nothing.
    This is by far my favourite oriental scent.The fragrance is a little fruity,very spicy,woody,oriental and rich,masculine.
    it is definetely a signature fragrance,i think nobody else than Claude Montana could have made this special gem.
    One more thing:Havanna by Aramis came later than Parfum d`homme,
    is similar but in my opinion does not have that special twist.
    Thumbs up,I hope we`ll see it in stores again very soon.

01st June, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 June, 2008)

Animale by Animale Parfums

Animale is an exotic scent, specially for those who wants to seduce.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

It's the best oriental fragrance and, fortunatelly, it works very well with my chemistry. It's my no 1

Red Jeans by Versace

Special for daytime, to those who loves fresh/ fruity scents.