Fragrance Reviews from June 2008

Allure Homme by Chanel

It's warm to the point of being sticky aka cloying. I finished a bottle about six years ago and I won't be revisiting it. I've been toying with the idea of getting myself the female Allure because it smells wonderful, but I'm not sure whether a man could pull it off.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Initial beguiling burst of orange blossom that reminds me of spring in the Northern Cape Province in a small town on the Vaal River. The later notes are quite synthetic, but I think Fleur du Mâle is much more pleasant than Fahrenheit 32. I had to choose between FdM and Chanel's Antaeus. Antaeus won by a long shot and I haven't looked back. Thumbs Up based on the delightful orange blossom notes and ignoring the petrochemical base.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

What is that sour note that lurks within? Fahrenheit 32 was a disappointment. I was adamant to like it since the original and Dior Homme are great stuff, but 32 didn't make the grade. I hardly detect any orange blossom. Which is the spoil-sport - the vetiver or a sharp, synthetic vanilla? No redeeming notes to be found. What a pity. I haven't smelled it on others. Perhaps it's one of those that should be experienced on another. Thus, neutral.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

I have edp, edt, lotion, and leg shine. I love this fragrance. It smells of tropical tuberose, and it creates a feminine, joyful atmosphere. I don't think it's heavy, nor do I think it has much sillage. Actually, I wish it was a bit stronger; it fades somewhat quickly and I have to refresh it during the day. The incense notes are very, very faint on me, as well. I don't mind, because this is a beautiful, elegant, and radiant take on tuberose, and this fragrance suits my chemistry perfectly. It's a very "me" fragrance, that I'm sure has a permanent part in my fragrance wardrobe. The bottles are gorgeous, too.

Matthew Williamson by Matthew Williamson

I bought this at TJ Maxx for around $12.00, and that price suits it. It's an extremely light floral that smells very pink and clean. To me, it's actually hard to smell unless I spray a lot of it. It's pretty and very "Avon-ish" in a mass-market, never offend anyone kind of way. If it had a little more "oomph" in the basenotes, it would be a very nice fragrance, but, on my skin, it smells like it's missing something. The marketing for this scent calls it "beachy" but I don't get this at all. More like "Miss Marple's Garden." A certain element of Matthew Williamson reminds me a lot of The Pink Room (which I adore). They do share many similar notes, but MW has none of Pink Room's drama or presence. If you want a pretty clean scent to wear to the office, Matthew Williamson is one you'll want to try.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Tuberose-Gardenia is one of those fragrances where I say, "This is beautiful. But it hates me." I got a decant of this, and the day it arrived my 17 year old goddaughter was visiting. I've turned her into a Perfumista, so she couldn't wait to try my newest prospect. We applied the Tuberose-Gardenia in the same places on our arms, at the same time. On her, the scent started out very green, became a full, rich gardenia, and disappeared within the hour. On me, the scent smelled like the freeway air in August, with a touch of carnation. (I hate carnation). It lasted all of two hours on me; an unpleasant two hours, because it gave me a headache. I love tuberose, and gardenia, and I wear as many fragrances with these notes as my chemistry will tolerate (not all at once), but something about my skin brings out the piquant smell of asphalt from gardenia and tuberose essences. So this one's not for me. It's too bad, because this is reasonably priced and in a very pretty bottle.

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

WHEN will this return? I am so excited to purchase a full bottle! This is utterly gorgeous. It's warm, elegant, feminine, sensual, and it doesn't develop the mothball accord on my skin that inevitably emerges from Chanel No. 5 edt. Instead, the basenotes radiate a dry vanilla that works beautifully with the lush topnotes, and balances the aldehydic notes. Eau Première smells the way I've always dreamed Chanel No. 5 would smell on my skin. It melts into it, and becomes something magical, and irresistible.

Cruel Gardenia by Guerlain

Maybe the problem is that I don't get ANY gardenia, and I wanted gardenia. The "cruel" thing about this gardenia, it its absence. It's as though the base of the scent shows up, but the heart never appears. Cruel Gardenia reminds me of vintage face powder, Coty Airspun, maybe? I smell aldehydes, powder, musk, and aluminum. I don't know how to classify this fragrance in my mind...it's not a floral...it's not a chypre...and it's not sweet...It's subtle, and musky, and talcum-y, and metallic. If it's supposed to give the "impression" of gardenia, rather than the scent of it, it misses the mark by a mile for me. With a dramatic name like Cruel Gardenia I thought this fragrance might be, at the very least, interesting. For me, it's, well...boring.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

Don't let the price tag fool you - Cocoon is brilliant. A perfectly balanced comfort scent that gives much more expensive, niche scents a run for their money. You know that marvelous scent when you open a tin of really good cocoa? Well, combine that with a smidge of patchouli, woods, and the tiniest dab of vanilla, and you're there. It's not overly sweet, just comforting and relaxing - it's my best friend after a long day at the office. I also spritz on more every night before bed...for such a low price, I don't have to feel guilty! I hope they never discontinue this little gem.

28 June, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 October, 2010)

FloatingPoint's avatar

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don't know what it is with me and the compositions of Bertrand Duchaufour. On the one hand I fully recognize the creativity and craftsmanship of his work, yet on the other I don't think I've smelled a single fragrance of his that I can honestly say I love. Like, yes, but not love.

I got a decant of this and, over the past year or so, have worn it perhaps a half dozen times. I hardly ever feel the desire to so. The reason, I've come to conclude, is the lychee note. I occasionally eat lychee fruit, but it's one of the last things I want to smell like. This is a consistent pattern with me and B.D.--he always throws something in there, one note, that drags the whole thing down for me.

centerpin's avatar

Germany Germany

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

It should be called "Eau Savage too extreme". I can´t say that it smells horrible, if you use it wisely it is an ok perfume, but nothing compared to the original Eau Savage.
    The original Eau Savage is for me the best male all year round scent of all times-just the No1.
    Eau Savage Extreme smells intensly fresh, is simple structured and has no story to tell. Just like an oversized plastic lemon- actually Eau Savage Extreme could be perhaps a good summer room spray.

nix's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

I bought a small sample bottle of this back in fall and always reached for it before everything else in my rotation. Now I'm out and even though its listed as in production, its really hard to get. The irony of this cologne to me was that I found it not to smell overly woodsy, but more sweet and clean on me. Very simple even. Gucci always has great looking bottles, this one is not one of them. Not that I care what a bottle looks like but its just a shame this scent is so hard to find now. Very good, give it a try.

nix's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Not a fan of the opening, very spicey and sweet. Strong. This scent is always dominated by spice and then slightly offset by sweet, warm tones. Over all I'd have to say its growing on me but I wish I had bought something else instead. Nothing negative, its a unique pleasant smell I just don't really want to wear it often enough to make it worth while. Never tried the original so I can't compare it either.

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

A classy alternative for a fresh, clean spicy scent. Not as abrasive as many other, just nice. SImple, clean and smells a lot like castile soap which isn't a bad thing.

Gale Hayman Man by Gale Hayman

Synthetic, yes, but pleasing. This isn't too offensive but not too run-of-the-mill. Definite pine notes but not the signature pine in all of the Polo frags. This one is more clean but non-distinct. Longevity on my skin isn't that great, however. Casual wear.

Dunhill by Dunhill

So-so fougere. More like a watered down Brut (how the heck can you do that to an already watered down scent?). Just throw some woody notes into the mix and you get Dunhill. Very weak on my skin. I've had other Dunhill scents last much longer. This one was a downer.

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Great summer fragrance. Last long on my dry skin which is rare for designer fragrance offerings. The patchouli is very, well, fresh and over the fragrance just smells great. But this isn't a clean fresh like Mugler Cologne or Acqua di Gio. Still it's a nice green fresh floral.

Espionage by Ayala Moriel

Thick and juicy smoke. A marvelous creation that could stand up to the best niche fragrance of this genre. This is more masculine than feminine. A leather trenchcoat with tobacco smoke smeared all over it. Classy.

Epice Sauvage by Ayala Moriel

BItter spices made from quality materials. Personally I don't like this one but it's a very well made perfume. The cinnamon really is quite potent and I think a little more sweetness to it would calm everything down.

Arsenal by Ayala Moriel

I feel as if this is a little... ugly. Juniper and me don't mix well. Very jarring. I wish the bayberry would me more prominent. I have an old-fashioned bar of soap scented with bayberry and it's the most amazing minty green scent I've ever encountered. I'm afraid I can't find that in this. The cognac makes this boozy and weary. Overall not very pleasant to my nose but there are others that prefer the smell of juniper.

Democracy by Ayala Moriel

This reminds me of Ambre Sultan without the medicinal. This, again like all Ayala's perfumes, is high quality and amazing. One of the few fragrances with juniper berry that agrees with me. The lavender is strong and supportive. Great!

Lovender by Ayala Moriel

Definitely lavender. I grow my own lavender and this smells exactly like the herbal, slightly minty with a hint of sage that lavender is right from the stem's sap. I love lavender, therefore I love this. Perfect in every way.

Aki by Tann Rokka

Smokey vanilla and dirty florals. For comparison, I only smelled Shalimar once in a store and this instantly took me back there. Shalimar repulsed me and so does this. Old lady oriental scent.

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

Definitely light. Definitely crisp. Definitely fresh. Unlike other scents of the over saturated genre of fresh and clean, this one is quirky with a touch of wood. ON a card, it disappears after 30 minutes but on my dry skin it's still there. However, no projection from me. But! This is a well made fragrance and I love it.

On a side note: I recently purchased a bouquet of cyclamen for someone's birthday. They are a very interesting looking flower with waxy leaves. I sniffed them but they had no distinctive odor.

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Black XS without the strawberries. Not appealing.

Bois d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

Yes!!! Woods. Quality woods! Like old furniture from the colonial period. Just simply amazing. Lasts long, smells great, adequate sillage. Just great spicy woods.

Film Noir by Ayala Moriel

A sweet, creamy and thick oriental that could be sickening. Smells like a porter with some myrrh. Unfortunately, not very pleasing to my nose.

Bergamot & Ginger by Potter & Moore

Now here's a quality bergamot that doesn't end up smelling like the topnotes of a harsh synthetic designer fragrance. The ginger isn't as solid like the ginger you'd find in Gucci Envy for Men but it's just the right amount to be an integral component of the whole deal. Worth the price and good for summer wear.

Mazzolari Patchouly by Mazzolari

First sniff... reminds me of the same quality as an Ayala Moriel fragrance. Thick and creamy like Ayala Moriel's Democracy but basenotes of Film Noir. A very good non herbal smelling patchouli. Warm and delightful.

kess's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I agree with the description of "fizzy leather", but for me it comes across as shrill and sweet at the same time. There is a twist to it that is unpleasant to me. Try before buying!