Fragrance Reviews from June 2008

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Neroli that smells like citrus? Well I'm not sure what neroli is supposed to smell like but this is amazing. It's like a better Be Delicious Men. A superb bitter grapefruit and orange. What a delight this is to wear in the summer and possibly in the winter too if you wanted to lift your spirits during the dreadful month of February. I do suggest testing first before blind buying.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Cheap spicy opening in the begining however I say cheap like it's a bad thing when I don't mean it. I bought this blind but I don't regret it nor do I disapprove of it. A good clean, green scent that is relatively inoffensive. Man I love that spicy opening, Goes into green smells and then something resembling musk. Good but not outstanding. Just good.

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Whoa, whoa, whoa... there's blackberry in here? I was wondering what that slightly sweet and sour note was supposed to be. It's surprising but doesn't keep my interest. Good musk though.

Nothing for Men by Parfums Jamaica

This is a cologne spray, not an EdT but it's quite strong for a cologne. I can't seem to find a scent pyramid anywhere or any PR regarding this. Nonetheless, this is a fairly decent scent. It's along the lines of Escada pour Homme in its mossiness. It also has a nice lemony/fruity top note that can be a slightly sickening at first. It then turns into something similar to Drakkar Noir but without the over the top power scent. Very decent but wouldn't get it twice.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th June, 2008)

Canali Men by Canali

Pleasing opening of spices and fruits. Lots of stuff down at the bottom that makes for a unique drydown accord. Soft yet you know it's there. It dances around pretty much each of the notes and never settles down to one particular one. Wood, a little leather, then the sweetness of tonka bean then back to wood. Very interesting.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Gaultier² = Sweetness²

Amber.
    Vanilla.
    Musk.
    That's what you get at first
    -- and that's what you'll get in the end as well.

On the skin, it feels warm, radiant, tender, and organic. Beneath the surface, my nose also senses something that is slightly animalic. At first sniff, it smelled very familiar to me -- like something forgotten long ago in childhood that I had found again. A good intimate scent that should be used only in certain places and at certain times. I'll let you be the judge. :)

Bottleworthy? Let your nose (and tolerance of sweetness) be the judge for this one.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th July, 2008)

argus wishingwell's avatar

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

1 ml of "joop homme" + 1 ml of "polo double black" + 2 ml of "azzaro now". that's what hypnose is. and beside, it is not cloying like joop, not subtle as polo db and not feminine like azzaro now. perfect for everywhere and every day&night. i think this will be a classic amongst the new ones.

Jemimagold's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

Jaisalmer is predominantly a cedar fragrance with lashings of vetiver and pepper which smells the same from the application all the way to the drydown. The pepper/wood combination reminded me a lot of 10 Corso Como which is chiefly sandalwood whereas Jaisalmer is mostly cedar (to my nose, anyways). I also agree with a fellow Basenotes reviewer who described Jaisalmer as conjuring up “images of campfires and charred pieces of wood”. The pepper note reminded me a good deal of Ormonde Jayne’s Isfarkand. Lastly, although it is characterized as an incense fragrance, Jaisalmer does not have a heavy “churchy” incense smell. In fact, it is quite dry and aromatic. If you enjoy Diptyque’s Tam Dao, Diptyque’s Feu de Bois, Ormonde Jayne’s Isfarkand, CdG’s Ouzarzate or 10 Corso Como, Jaisalmer would definitely appeal to you.

From what I’ve been able to glean from various sources, here are the notes: cedar, vetiver, cardamom, incense, cinnamon, amber, benzoin, pimento berries, guaiac wood and pink pepper.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2008)

memechose's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

This is my favorite of the un jardin series. The sun is breaking through and rain drops sparkle apres le deluge in IndiaThe blend of kahili ginger, cardamon and other spice. UJALM is translucent , Mr. Ellena's print on this , but palpable. It reallyhas tale to tell. The sillage on this is also very good. I do not detect fruity accords at all, rather wet vetiver woody nuances .

2 of my friends tested this and I will say, it did not work well for one, one loved it for its 'fruity' nuances (not on my skin) and bought it as did I.

eugenie's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

For those three of you who still haven't tried this love it and/or hate it goo....

It really is a work of genius, inasfar as that term can be applied to an art as ephmeral and relatively minor as perfumery.

It is also, at least at first, and on most wearers, absolutely disgusting, at least to my nose. Like vinagared bubble gum and dusty chocolate in the opening, along with whatever that chemical "white flower" that's been so popular for the past few years is.

After a couple of hours on skin, it turns into a really nice, pleasant but not especially brilliant men's cologne, most outstanding in it's remarkable balanced use of patchouli, one of the few natural ingrediants I can find problematic, but which I really welcome when it makes its appearance at the forefront of Angel. Especially nice given that the tendancy to turn up the patchouli to really do battle with the electirfied bubblegum must have been almost overwhelming at some points, at least as part of the joke, but to have given into it would have destroyed the whole hideous balancing act that is Angel.

Hmmm...perhaps that was part of the perfumer's secret brief...make something that will make even patchouli haters glad to see patchouli....an interesting brief, and one in which they succeeded admirably...

jf799568's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Mojito yes, then crosses into dish detergent & "tone" body soap. After a time (commuting, grooming etc.) this mellows and I smell like a freshly bathed, lime juicing, mint chewing girl in the grass. Sounds like summer to me. 6+ hours and still smelling.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

A strong oriental that exudes masculinity. Sillage is ridiculous and it last forever.... a shame it's becoming more expensive (although not hard to find) now that it's discontinued.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2008)

Individuel by Montblanc

In reference Louslice''s review below, Montblac makes not only pens but a wide array of luxury-segment products, mostly high-end men's accessories like watches, cuff links, etc. I assume that they entered the fragrance world to complement and round out their product line.

That said, I'm not sure Individuel really fits in with the Montblanc image. It's fruity-sweet and I put in the same category as LeMale. It stays fairly sweet on dry down, and it does last a good while. I'm not a fruit fragrance enthusiast, but Individuel is not offensive in any way. Just not for me. I would image something more distinctly masculine and understated meshing better with $1000 pens and $500 cuff links. RL Purple Label does a better job matching with a luxury brand.

Clean Men by Clean

I want to like this - I really do - the citrus is too sharp and misplaced. If it weren't for the 'clean man' theme I couldn't imagine being able to pass this off as masculine at all. It's more of a unisex citrus blast.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 09th July, 2008)

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Although I'm not usually a fan of Boss fragrances, I found myself really enjoying Pure this past weekend when I wore it out to a fancy casino. The opening is very very grapefruity - in fact this is all you will smell if sprayed on a card. It's a very dry grapefruit smell. The grapefruit dries down into a dry but lightly spicy, very 'fresh' scent. I'll be honest I didn't closely analyze the notes because I was busy at the casino, but I could smell it on myself and it worked with my fancy casino 'outfit' and working the blackjack tables.

This is another designer 'fresh' scent, but it does it much better than most offerings.

surreality's avatar

Eternal Return by CB I Hate Perfume

I have to be honest. As soon as I saw the name of this fragrance I knew I had to try it. Not because of it's description, not because of the nose behind the fragrance, but because of my interest in the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche. The Eternal Return is an important aspect of Nietzsche's thought and I wondered whether CB I Hate Perfume's Eternal Return would be an important step in the evolution of Christopher Brosius' company. Sadly I have to say no. It is not that Eternal Return is a bad fragrance; its not. It's a pleasant, light woody scent with aquatic overtones all of which have been recreated very well. Its just that this does not make a good perfume. There is no development in this fragrance, the character remains the same throughout its duration (7-8 hours) and as such it gets boring very quickly. If this were a room fragrance I'd give it a tentative thumbs up, but given that this was intended as a perfume the best I can give it is a neutral rating.

03rd June, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th July, 2008)

Indie_Guy's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

For a long time I bashed this one. It didn't seem to have that YSL "DNA". It didn't seem to be dangerous, dark, eccentric or interesting the way the other YSL fragrances are. My first thoughts were that L'Homme smelled extremely generic. But one afternoon I was wearing a sample of it and wound up getting an enthusiastic comment from a girl I was dating. So, like a little chimp, I ran out the next day and bought a bottle. I still felt that it wasn't up to YSL snuff, but it was better than I thought. As time went on, I found that I liked it more and more. The topnotes weren't my favorite part, but I liked the way the effervescent ginger collided with the vetiver in the base.

It's never going to be the best thing that YSL has released, but I do like it. It has more depth than it seems at first glance, so do test it thoroughly. If you're wanting to smell good for girls who don't care about the particular minutiae of your perfume while they're busy ripping off your shirt, then buy this and don't feel bad about wearing it. Girls will like it. Still, if you want them to bite you passionately, obsess over you, sleep with garments that smell like you, well then... you'll have to wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

JaimeB's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

A spicy, rose oriental with good sillage and staying power. A bit on the formal side, but not impossible for more casual occasions. The rosewood in the head note is critical here; it sweetens the top and moderates the acidity of the citrus. Also a brilliant touch is the coriander and the vegetable musk of ambrette seed. These two combine with the oriental elements in the base to enliven the central floral note of rose. Very smooth and elegant. One feels debonair when wearing this.

jasong9573's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

You know, mens fragrances are getting so "generic" these days that you wonder if perfume houses can create anything unique anymore. Well, I can say, Kors for men is not a "generic" scent. Like all Thierry Mugler or Boucheron colognes, this one is unique and I like that. So, what does it smell like? It's hard to describe because there is a lot going on after the initial spray, but I smell Incense and dried fruits right away and then once it settles in, it becomes a smell I can't pin point (a good thing!), but smells warm, exotic and something a real man with class would wear. One just has to try it to find out what I mean.

ubuandibeme's avatar

F by Ferragamo by Salvatore Ferragamo

F by Ferragamo begins with a blast of candy sweetness, then settles into a lactonic symphony ~ in the back of my throat! Fortunately, it fades rather quickly. The base is weak. It leaves a dusty, stale smell like a cocktail table that has sticky-sweet-drink rings stuck to it, and it hasn't been cleaned in weeks. This frag is touted as a floral, with notes of rose, jasmine, etc...I'm not getting it.

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Le Maroc was not at all what I expected. Before I tried it and Reverie au jardin, I thought Tauer's signature was dryness and transparency, but those two scents are polar opposites to his other creations: dense and muddy and and musty-sweet, in the style of "natural perfumery", which I personally can't stand. I'm flummoxed to see Le Maroc compared to L'air du desert marocain or called "dry". To me, it's anything but dry - it's creamy, powdery, musty, dense and sweet.... Actually, I have one word for it: headshop. It smells exactly like that stale, musty-sweet mixed incense smell clinging to everything. Now, I love the dry, crisp, fresh, woody/spicy incense note in fine perfumes (such as Tauer's own lovely incense fragrances!), but that is something quite different from the smell of actual, unlit incense, which I don't particularly like. Le Maroc smells exactly like real, cheap hippie incense, not incense perfume. It doesn't even smell floral to me - floral incense, yes, but not fresh flowers. If I was to pick out one floral note I would say it was a creamy, warm, sweet, heavy jasmine - the rose is nowhere in sight, at least not any kind of rose I recognize from nature or perfumery. (Not that I mind, I'm not a fan of rose.) With my nose glued to my wrist, I sometimes get a whiff of something resembling sticking my nose in an actual flower, but it's like its buried under that headshop sillage. The scent is strong too - one tiny spray from the vial and I can smell it on the air all day long! It doesn't change much either, though perhaps the hint of real flower is replaced by an aldehydic powderiness by the end of the day. Not a favourite at all, but not downright unpleasant (like Reverie au jardin) so it gets a neutral thumb for me. At least I can see how someone might like this fragrance. Someone who wears a lot of tie-dye and smokes a lot of pot.

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

I really admire Andy Tauer, I do, but I just can't stand this fragrance. It sounds so green from the notes - possibly too herbal for my taste (not a fan of lavender) but worth a try. Alas, it is not green, not refreshing, not sparkling, not juicy, not like a garden at all! Instead, it's an odd, dense, muddy scent with a musty, stale, candylike sweetness that makes me wrinkle my nose in disgust. It reminds me of nothing more than Michale Storer's absolutely horrid Il Giardino, but at least that one had some berry notes as excuse for the sickly sweetness. What's Reverie's excuse? The tonka? The ambrette? The rose? The fir, which sometimes turns Wunderbaum-sweet? Where are all the green and woody notes hiding in this composition? The one note I can pick out is an aromatic lavender. Perhaps the drydown is better - I could bring myself to put this on my skin for the sake of research but not to keep it there for very long...

Incense Rosé by Tauer

This fragrance is so delightful it deserves at least one review! The incense is fresh and woody and the rose discrete and natural, far from any of the soapy, powdery or potpourri-like roses common in perfume. In fact, I'd recommend this to anyone, no matter whether you appreciate rose fragrances or not! This is not a dark, murky, chilly, damp, churchlike incense (think Messe de Minuit), instead it's a natural, woody, sunny incense (closer to Avignon or Jaisalmer but even woodier and brighter) The sweetness of it is resinous without being in the least syrupy and the scent is strong without being heavy. The smoking hot and transparent feeling of it reminds me strongly of L'air du desert marocain, but Incense rosé is sweeter and not as spicy or dry. If L'air du desert marocain is (of course) a hot sunny day in the desert, then Incensé rose is a hot sunny day in a cedarwood forest with wild roses growing in it and a fleeting deja vu to Catholic mass.

tvlampboy's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

It's odd that I so love Angel yet so abhor A*men, as many of the same notes are there. But what I get from Angel is patchouli and chocolate and sweet burnt sugar, while all I get from A*men is rancid cocoa and burnt tar (and lots of the latter).

Angel, for me, is as rich, sensual and vanilla-laden as A*men is harsh, bitter and migraine-inducing.

tvlampboy's avatar

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

A definite must-try for lovers of bright aldehydes. RG (the original) is all about lightness and brightness and all things Parisian. It may well be a tad dated, yes, butby no means so much that it's unapproachable. A true classic here, and one that's especially good in summer months.

Fiorello's avatar

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I own several MPGs and have tried Baime several times. Ultimately it is too sweet to be an option as an aromatic for me. I love basil and thyme but prefer them in a dryer milieu. I give it a neutral because of its uniqueness. It's just not for me. 5/10

Fiorello's avatar

Racine by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I too appreciate this vetiver more than Guerlain's or Creed's. The splendid, dry balance between the citrus and vetiver is, as others have stated, the strong and very appealing focal point of Racine. I also agree that other vetiver-dominant, MPG frags are more dimensional like Centaure, Parfum d'Habit and of course Route de Vetiver. None of these are as dry as Racine though. 7/10

FloatingPoint's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I don't think I can join the bandwagon on this one. Just too powdery for my taste. I think the idea of a gamey musk combined with soft and sweet is pretty inspired in a way, but it's also flirting with disaster, and I'm not sure this one actually stopped short of the precipice, at least on my skin. Neutral rating for the quality ingredients and the recognition that this might work on some people (especially women).

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Boy, was I excited to learn about a new VERSACE fragrance. I sampled this today and its initial blacst was a citrus acquatic. I was dissapointed. Then as the day pregressed, I started smelling something familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it...then it clicked...ACQUA DI GIO! That's right...this is nothing but Versace's version of di Gio. Now my dissapointment turned to disgust. This is horrible. Gianni must be truning in his grave right now! Triple thumbs down!!

Agent Zero's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

From reading all the reviews here, I thought i would be greeted with a beautiful blend of hazelnuts and honey behind a woody backdrop, which sounds great to me. I DO get these notes, but it's hard to distinguish them most of the time because a black licorice accord keeps beating me over the head without mercy. This might be good for some; personally, I can only take anise in very small, controlled doses (and it helps when it's being overpowered by a series of other notes). It's a shame, because in the brief moments where the licorice gives me some olfactory fatigue, the true beauty of this scent shines though. If the licorice was gone, or even controlled, this would be worth of picking up a bottle. As it stands, I'll give it a neutral because as far as I can tell, I'm the only one to ever experience this excessive licorice phenomena. Plus, even with its faults, it doesn't smell *bad*. Just not my cup of tea.