Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

abubakr_al-misky's avatar
    abubakr_al-misky

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal

I myself prefer bitter scents, though I dont think that bitter is the over all note to this. I get a strong smell of Tonka Bean which I generally like. In small amounts this perfume does not shine but when worn a little on the strong side then it can be fully appreciated. Extra points for it remaining a very natural smell.

WindyCity1014's avatar
    WindyCity1014

New York by Parfums de Nicolaï

My holy grail. I literally wear this almost every day of the year.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

Woody, spicy, oriental. A hint of leather in the base and the civilizing influence of iris in the top. Some people find this a bit sweet, with honey and amber, but I prefer to think of the juniper, cypress, myrrh and patchouli. It seems to me that these balance the sweetness and never really let it dominate the scent overall. This is a bracing scent to me, it keeps me focused and energizes me. While I mostly turn to it in cold weather, it seems perfectly suited for cool summer nights as well. It can make a very nice dressed-up evening scent.

RCavs's avatar
    RCavs
    Brazil Brazil

Cool Water by Davidoff

It's a fresh floral/fruity fragrance, I'd even say It's a pretty much wearable light fougere. A few can complain about its synthetic character, but its major problem is the ubiquity. You can't be "original" or "unique" with Cool Water, that's for sure...
    But I don't think CW is so linear as people usually say. As it dries down, I can notice an earthy smell that makes the scent a bit heavier. It's curious that almost no one mentions it. Is it my body chemistry?!

RCavs's avatar
    RCavs
    Brazil Brazil

Essence Pure pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

Essence Pure starts with a sharp and acid green accord that can annoy sensible souls. Then it really incorporates a watery smell, a bit difficult to describe, but obviously refreshing. After an hour or so, It gets thicker with a still refreshing and clean powdery smell. It's a nice casual fragrance and a good choice for summer days, just don't except anything original or outstanding.

renperd's avatar
    renperd
    South Africa South Africa

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Thick blast of regular chypre, then a mild, calm drydown. I get quite a bit of cinnamon, which I enjoy in this inexpensive stuff...picked up a tester on eBay for exactly US$0.99. Great blind buy, be sure of that!

renperd's avatar
    renperd
    South Africa South Africa

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It's got the same sparkle as Le 3e Homme de Caron but Terre doesn't become cloying. It behaves very well even though longevity is comparable to Le 3e. And it smells much more modern and up-to-date. It's winter in the southern hemisphere now, so I'm looking forward to seeing how Terre does in the heat. I like the fact that there's a hint of the trademark Hermés note lurking in the background.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Gale Hayman Man by Gale Hayman

If you want an inexpensive coniferous frag, reach for Pino Silvestre and leave this stuff on the shelf.

Offensive? No.
    Thumbs down? No -- I'll give it a solid "neutral" rating.
    Interesting, though, or worth seeking out? Not really.

tvlampboy's avatar
    tvlampboy

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

Powdery beyond powdery -- the quintessence of powdery, in fact.
    (n.b.: The underlying sweetness here is of the "perfume-y" type, not the gourmand type.)

A definite try-before-you-buy kind of frag, esp. in light of its high "discontinued, hard-to-find" price tag.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

As others have noted, this is a remarkably accurate rendering of Lapsang suochong tea. Unfortunately for me, Lapsang suochong (along with Vietnamese lotus tea, which tastes like postage stamp glue) is one of the rare tea varieties that I don't care for that much. I'm still waiting for the perfect recreation of a great Earl Gray (please PM me if you know of one!).

It takes a couple of hours for the lapsang to settle down enough for this to become enjoyable to my nose. The base is quite nice, a bit like Burberry London for men but richer, smokier, and less synthetic. If I could just get the base I'd probably buy a bottle of this, but at this point I don't think it's worth enduring the opening for. This is one of those fragrances, though, that I can imagine myself changing my opinion about over the course of a few years.

Vetiver by Etro

Full disclosure: I'm a certifiable vetiver fanatic, so it kind of goes without saying that I'm going to be all over this discreet beast. I love the raw, uncompromising nature of this fragrance, its single-minded devotion to the great god of vetiver. Yes, it's as dry as a bone in the desert, and yes, it's brutal, but as marco points out, it has poor sillage and longevity, which is why I call it "discreet." It's like a shocking little secret that only those who draw near will have any inkling of.

It doesn't rank among my favorite vetivers of all time simply because I think vetiver projects more strongly with adjutant notes, like citrus, that set it in relief (and with me, it's all about PROJECTING that vetiver), and also because of the poor longevity, but it still gets a thumbs up for its admirable aesthetic discipline and, frankly, just for being a vetiver.

I'd love to see a version of this with better projection called "Vetiver Sauvage" or something like that. I'd be the first in line to buy it.

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

When this first goes on it smells like soft, exquisite, freshly-tanned leather. I find it quite intoxicating. As it dries down it takes on a fruitier character, although I can't quite identify the fruits other than to say it's a mix of berries, though they never turn sweet, exactly.

Vibert mentioned a "vinegary" phase in his review. I pick up a note of balsamic vinegar on certain occasions when I wear this, though not always. I can't say I find it a particularly pleasant note (although I love balsamic vinegar on salad) and it's the only mark against this fragrance in my book. Who wants to smell like vinegar? Fortunately, I only detect it intermittently.

Not for everyone, but definitely worth trying.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Wow, this stuff rocks! If you are a fan of exotic scents, this is a must try. My wife and I both love it. It is sweet (vanillaic), dry, cedar-woody, spicy in the background, strong with good sillage. One good spray on my test wrist lasted almost 24 hours, despite a shower and a few hand washing sessions (not scrubbing my wrist though).

Initially it was a bit much, but everytime I tried not to like it, I just couldn't. It kept beckoning for a closer deeper look, and it felt almost like a taboo...you feel you shouldn't but you just can't help but get close. It is so well formulated and richly blended that you can't help but like it.

I checked the Andy Tauer website and they have samples of everything they or rather he makes for a reasonable price and flat rate shipping anywhere in the world. The stuff is definately worth a second look.

Andy is very personable too...a real person that you can reach out to, he actually doesn't mind if you want to get to know him; how cool is that? I have never been a niche frag kinda person, but Tauer has def got my attention! A+++
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

mjclark's avatar
    mjclark

Moustache by Rochas

Weird!Weird!Weird!This fragrance has a surreal air which is initially quite disturbingThe strangest of openings,as if someone had urinated into a bucket of fermenting fruit or maybe the scent of some extraterrestrial creature on heat.Just as all this is becoming too much, a comforting powdery floral middle takes over (renminiscent of Alexander Julien's Colours) and you breathe a sigh of relief thinking that you are now on much safer ground.Then all of a sudden aaaargh!-the citrus and bodily fluid combination kicks back in the drydown in a menacingly sexual way,leaving you disturbed but exhiliarated.
    If Krizia Uomo had a psychotic uncle or if Hitchcock's "Psycho" was a fragrance,this would be it...

Erolfa by Creed

I smell and smell again, nothing ozonic or salty. Then i read a few more reviews and noticed that i try them on my skin. Then i put it on paper. Yes something a bit aquatic but mostly the old lemon we know for ages. Another thing bad about it is it reminds mo of cool water which i cannot bear to smell.

Jicky by Guerlain

It is harsh to nose. It goes from that old bitter mandarin oil to amber incense directly; not playfull with many notes in. thinking the year it launched i can guess how impressing it should have been. But today i should not have worn it.
    But i did. I mean i put some one me.
    Now i have two regrets. I would not drink bolls red orange anymore. They remind me each other.

01st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 02 July, 2008)

Green Tea by L'Occitane

Boring green tea again? when i first used elizabeth ardens's green tea i have enjoyed its freshness. But that was before a thousand green tea scents and popularization of the iced green tea drinks. Now if i have to choose a tea from L'Occitane, i would prefer her "white tea" sister instead.

Notre Flore Cedre /Cedar by L'Occitane

a nice citrus woody fragrance... it is both fresh and solid; which rarely happens to be in a fragrance... i mean fresh fragrances are never there you to handle when you sniff but this cedar part makes it bodied and strong and carries on the freshness succesfully. i like it...

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

ANGEL = Starbuck's for Men !

I like sweet and spicy fragrances, full of character, but i don't get this one.
    Can't imagine anyone who would like to smell this way. If you want to smell like "Angel" you could rub your neck with chocolate and coffee just as well.
    The only thing that i like about this one, is the idea to create something totally different.

Definitely in the love it or hate it category.

But i will give a Neutral thumb for idea and courage!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

SIMPLE AND TIMELESS!

Citrussy, spicy, herb.....wearable at any occassion!
    Sooner or later everybody admires it!

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

TOLERABLE !

I'm definitely not a fan of the CK fragrance line, and there is only one (Obsession) i would probably wear. But i must admit, that Escape is one of the better products from CK. It is very fruity and sweet and although it has that synthetic touch, i find it very pleasent and inoffensive.
    Once very common and popular, it is now rarely used (in mid-europe).
    Still better than many new released mass market products.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

BAD REPUTATION!

This is the story of Joop Homme.....

Once there was a very beautiful girl in the neighborhood, that you wanted to date. But when you saw her walking around with jerks (week after week, year after year) you decided not to ask her. WHY? Because walking around with those jerks ruined her reputation although she was so beautiful and had such potential.

Do u understand ???

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

WONDERFUL!

There is not much to say....
    If you like sweet,spicy, woody and warm scents than you should give this one a try, cause nowadays such fragrances are rarely findable.
    Very well blended. Good lasting power. Definitely not mainstream. Wonderful bottle.
    Admirable that such a fragrance is the flagship of Gucci's fragrance line (for men).
    (Maybe a bit too much in the summer time.)

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

WEARABLE !

I was fortunate enough to smell this one on a man and a woman. It's really a unisex fragrance although it's heavy sweetness makes it more wearable for women.
    Gaultier² is really (i mean REALLY) sweet. It begins sweet, and it ends sweet (and in between those 2 stages it's still sweet). It smells nice but as soon as you get familiar with it, you realize that something is missing.
    It is very long lasting, but the fact that this fragrance doesn't evolve too much, makes it somehow annoying.
    I wouldn't recommend this for every day use, but maybe on the right women at the right time, this could work.

AdaVeen's avatar
    AdaVeen

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

It must be said that some of my best friends are Chanel (Bois des Iles, Cuir de Russie, No. 19 & Coco). At a department store I tried No. 5 edt, Allure, Chance, and Coco Mademoiselle and couldn't stand any of them, but Cristalle struck me as lovely. I don't think of it as particularly challenging, but fresh-faced -- the perfect antidote to the heat & humidity of summer due to its so sharp, lush greens and pungent citrus. As with most Chanels, Cristalle smells of quality, sophistication, and perfumer's vision. But unlike Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles, this isn't particularly sexy to me. It's big green like Ivoire, clean like Ma Griffe, but not as metallic chic a chypre as Calandre or Rive Gauche -- which have a smart wryness to them. Cristalle reminds me of a restrained but socially confidant, no-nonsense woman in tennis whites at the country club, stopping for a sparkling mineral water with a twist of lemon on a hot July day. There isn't even a hint of Bohemianism or indulgence here at all--just squeaky clean, bitter green soap. Pretty. Refreshing. Tight. Maybe face-lift tight! Still, I'll wear it happily in July/August to cut the heat... even if it does feel like someone else's perfume.

Anthony87's avatar
    Anthony87

Nightflight by Joop!

Where can I begin. I have a very intimate history with this fragrance, in fact I went through 7/8ths of a 125ml bottle in the first ~6 months with my now long-term girlfriend, and I have a 75 ml bottle in my wardrobe at present, and am considerring buying another.

The initial blast is strong. Lemon, pineapple and something else I cant put my finger on. It is certainly fresh, fresher than anything I've ever smelt. Aquatics and citrus colognes have nothing on this; not even L'eau d'Issey, Aqua di Gio or any of the numerous 'fresh aquatic' brigade can begin to start on this fragrances freshness. Its a perfect morning 'picker upper,' even if your hungover.

The next stage is even more sensual; aromatic whiffs like a finely aged spirit. Its also quite dry, and dare I say its good for clearing out the nostrils.

The last stage is bliss; a woody, ambery, even slightly sandalwood-y fragrance that intensifies immensely with body heat and sweat. I've found that when I wear this, in 'passionate moments' Nightflight really starts to shine.

This is probably the 1 fragrance that suits me most in my wardrobe, and I am considering buying at least 2-3 bottles as 'backups.' For the price you can get it for on ebay, its just ridiculous.

My absolute favorite. 10/10.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

ck Be with fig and more prominent notes. I do not like this at all. Unfortunately comes off as the infamous Dial Soap scent with additions.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Nice and casual. Like Lanvin's Oxygene pour Homme but less spicy and more aromatic. Inoffensive and average, great for daytime and office wear.

Sun Men by Jil Sander

At first I swore this was spicy suntan lotion but that was my brain playing tricks on me with word associate with the name. Distinguishably a Jil Sander frag because it also reminded me of Jil Sander Man. It has that sweet undertone to it but the topnotes really shine. Mint and rosemary make this a fun cooling yet refreshing scent. A good one.

Amor Pour Homme by Cacharel

Tea for Two served in a lead cup. Dare you drink the tea from the lead cup and get ill or get a new cup and risk losing your tea? Well, no matter, the tea in this turns out bitter orange grown in a lab. Very synthetic which I mean to say ugly and tinny. Develops later into a sandalwood and amber drydown.