Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

bbBD's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I was prepared not to like this as I'm not a fan of other CK offerings (nothing against CK, I'm just not a fan of what's out there) and I don't like ginger notes. Bvlgari Blv makes me gag. Anyway, my lady loves Euphoria and made the subtle hint of buying the large gift set (100ml Edt, 100ml after shave, body wash + deodorant). You see where this is going.

I've been very surprised. The ginger really adds a sharpness that is well balanced by the suede and vanilla. Sweet, but not too sweet. Leathery, but not too leathery. I guess the balance in really the attraction with Euphoria. The longevity and sillage are far beyond what I'd expect.

Although at the time of writing it's not in the BN directory, I also tried the Euphoria Intense. I wish my girl had waited because it's fantastic. A bit sweeter, the vanilla is more prominent, as is the suede, while the ginger drops out after the topnotes. Again, the balance is very good. The sillage is much better as I can smell it on my wrist as I type this.

Gerco's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Yesterday i received a 2 ml tester with my Michel Kors buy. I tried it ( know cartier from santos....sweet,sweeter, sweetest).
    The opening top notes immediatly took me away. My wife asked : what are you wearing now ?
    In the middle note i smelled the pepper, combined witht he fruity's. It dried down to a very pleasant non toxicating smell, wich discretely fills the room. Nice, very nice ! On my wishlist, defenitly !

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

As popular as this cologne seems to be...I had never smelled it until recently...I've never known anyone to wear this. I picked up a small bottle and I enjoy the smell. After reading about it's popularity I expected to get "hey, are you wearing curve?" But I've only gotten compliments and been questioned on what I'm wearing. There are many better colognes out there, but it's still nice! Even if it was as common around here as it seems to be everywhere else I would still wear it once in a while, as girls do seem to enjoy the smell...and so do I...and that is all that matters in the end!

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

This one has got me many compliments in the past. I mixes incredibly well with my chemistry and I will always keep a bottle in my collection! I would call it my signature scent, but I've become obsessed with trying out new colognes that I don't seem to have a signature scent anymore! I'm not sure I've ever worn this without getting compliments...so as long as it's in production...it will be in my collection!

The Dreamer by Versace

I agree with the majority. The top notes are a bit sharp, but the dry down is very good! It lasts a long time on me and though I prefer this as an evening cologne I can still get away with wearing it to work in light amounts. Like many have already said...it just gets better with time!

Touch for Men by Burberry

At first I wasn't sure about this. The floral notes were a bit much for me...but one it dries down it's not overpowering and has a light musky smell. It is masculine, but I could see women wearing this just as easily. Not what I was expecting for a Burberry scent, but quite enjoyable. Thumbs up from me!

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

I find this very refreshing and good for summer time! I tried the Fresh Attitude Givenchy and hated it! Way too overbearing and sickeningly sweet on me...but this is one is much much better and is harder to overdo! It doesn't seem to last very long on me, but I enjoy it...so I got a big bottle!

surreality's avatar

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

This is an OK scent. Very short lived (2 hrs), with an opening of fizzy lime that quickly fades revealing a very slightly musky pine/cedar that stays close to the skin. This is good for hot summer days when you want a scent that wont become too overpowering or cloying, but be prepared to re-apply a couple of times throughout the day. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for a bottle of this, but I wouldn't toss out a freebie either.

Izzymo's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

In general I am weary of any fragrance orignally made for women and then tweaked to created a "pour homme" version. The lure of the legendary Arpege cache was too much for me not to give it a try and I am very pleased that I did. This is a lovely fragrance which will I likely return to again and again. I find slightly odd though, that there is not more promotion of this fragrance, nor of the other Lanvin fragrances in general, especially in light of recent wild popularity of both the men's and women's clothing lines.

dagmar's avatar

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

I really really wanted to like this because I wanted a solid perfume to take on vacation. It's either my body chemistry or my nose but all I could smell was sweet orange. I kept thinking about those old Orange Julius drinks I used to get at the mall in the '70s (loved them, but don't want to smell like them.) I didn't get any complexity or much patchouli in the end. Just inordinate sweetness. However, others have said they find it unsweet. Weird.

05th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 08th July, 2008)

LouLou by Cacharel

I was in Paris on a summer holiday trip the year this launched - and I swear every young woman was wearing it there. So I bought a bottle, wore it, liked it. It is very much of its time; a perfume that enters the room before you do. The opening heady and easy to recognise. One of the great things about some of these older fragrances is that they really were easier to tell apart from one another than many of the modern launches aimed at teens. I have a soft spot for LouLou, but wouldn't wear it now.

Coco by Chanel

Very, very 80s, very, very beautiful. It is heavy, sweet - yet sparkling. Used to suit my skin. Wore it to DEATH in the late 80s/early 90s and now can't decide whether or not to touch it.

05th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I love perfume so much that sometimes even the unpleasant (to me) scents are still somehow interesting (on others; on a blotter). Aromatics elixir is the only exception to that rule I've discovered so far - I would rather wait in the rain for another bus than get on with someone wearing Aromatics Elixir. It makes me feel ill.

Givenchy III by Givenchy

Sexy, confident, elegant (but dated - not that being "dated" is always a bad thing with the identikit sugary fragrances around).

Lacoste pour Femme by Lacoste

If you want to smell like you've just had a shower and used some cute, girly shower gel in it - and if you want that smell to last much longer than could reasonably be expected in the heat of summer, this scent might take your fancy!

On a personal note, it specifically reminds me of a shampoo we used as kids on summer camp. I don't wear this if I want to feel sexy, but I do wear if if I want to smell clean and indulge in olfactory nostalgia.

Chakra III Equipoise by Aveda

The only fragrance to date that has managed to satisfy my greed for over-the-top Bergamot with citrus and sweet florals. When they discontinued this, I was very, very pissed off. And although I have always enjoyed having a full fragrance wardrobe, this was the scent I'd always default to. This is the problem about any kind of even slightly "niche" choice in these matters; you risk losing the thing you fall in love with.

Paul Smith London for Women by Paul Smith

This is a sickly sweet fruit pudding - which sometimes you might fancy, sometimes not. I tried it several times and couldn't make up my mind. In the end, I bought a bottle, but then wished I hadn't. Like one-too-many spoonfuls of sugar.

SummerbyKenzo by Kenzo

It's like a fantasy honeysuckle - the Mimosa notes combine with the rest to create a scent that's uncannily like the smell of honeysuckles in bloom. On my skin, there is a hint of licorice and a soft, sexy, slightly caramel, floral dry down. I wore this on my wedding day last summer and it was perfect.I will be very upset when this gets discontinued. Right now I can't get enough of it.

Marc Jacobs Splash Grass by Marc Jacobs

I don't get "freshly cut grass" as much as "wow, it's the pear lemonade I used to have as a child in Finland!". Go figure. I like it. It's basic, easy to understand, frivolous; good for summer.

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I don't know how to rate this - I loved it on the blotter; loved its opening, adored its heart... and right at the dry down when I was left with what the perfume would "smell like on me", out came a chemical spoiled fruit dipped in nail polish remover. Oh. Bugger.

Want to wear it; my skin disagrees.

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

I was so surprised at this; Gucci could do better and have done in the past.

This fragrance opens with an oily fruit note that creeps up your nose and sticks there.

On my skin; it dried to a rusty, metallic and messy chemical smell. It does match the bottle design somehow - a "new take" on an ageing, once-luxurious leather armchair with its equally leathery-skinned owner still attached.

Not impressed.

akdouglas's avatar

Matchabelli by Prince Matchabelli

I LOVED THIS and wore it in college. It's the only thing that I ever wore that both men and women constantly commented on and wanted to know what it was! My French teacher in college even told me one day "I love that smell, what is it?" which was pretty hilarious given the fact that I was about 20 at the time and she must have been 35 or so. She seemed embarrassed to ask. I started out buying it at Meier & Frank or The Bon Marche and it sort of made its way into drugstores and then eventually the only place you could find it was K-Mart! I knew that was the beginning of the end. And soon, it was. So sad. I've never found anything like it.

pcbchgirl's avatar

Joy by Jean Patou

Zowie!....my bubba luvs this parfumy lots! the hint of oregano in the jasmine filler liquid makes us hungry for (you know what)! i lak to spray just a little on my neck (it's kinda sticky) and then finish off with a couple dashes o' table salt. besides smellin yummy, it tastes good! (accordin to bubba) keep up tha great work jeanie!

Indie_Guy's avatar

Acqua d'Estate Essenza by Ermenegildo Zegna

I got a bottle of this today and it's a nice light summer version of the original Essenza Di Zegna. As a summer version, it's similar to the way Issey Miyake's L'Eau Bleue Eau Fraiche was reworked from the original L'Eau Bleue-- lots of mint. I still get that banana/dental anesthetic/anbesol note in this one-- I noticed it in the original, and I like it. Strange, but gives it a bit of character. There's a cucumber note in this as well-- this reminds me of a subtler cousin to Aramis' Surface Skin Tonic. Even though it's probably pretty synthetic-- all sharp crisp edges, it still feels like luxury to me. Doesn't seem to have extreme longevity, but it's great for hot days.

JaimeB's avatar

Plus Que Jamais by Guerlain

A classic floral oriental, very full as to aroma, and quite satisfying. The floral bouquet is very nicely balanced; also, it has a judicious underpinning of vanilla and vetiver, with a bit of amber and tonka bean. Some noses detect a touch of rose in the heart notes; others don't. This is probably not a scent that most men would want to wear, but I would be game for giving it an outing on my skin in certain "safe" situations: for example, I'll be wearing it to church this time out. It would also do for me on a private or intimate occasion, but not for anything too public or official. Judicious use by males to be encouraged, IMO, if you're up to it.

pluran's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I was wild as hell at fifteen, and my black concert t-shirts were saturated with all kinds of things, Azzaro pour Homme being one of them. Waking up was a challenge, but Azzaro PH gave me the bump I needed and always did the job at any time. I still wear it at forty and it’s as good as ever. It’s hale, clean, suitably gray and aloof, but with a laser focus that most fougères don’t deliver. Both are in the matte-black stealth category, and while Rive Gauche pour Homme is excellent, it works on a duller edge. But Azzaro PH never loses its edge, maintaining a sharp connection at all times. It’s still the best fougère out there, and it’s also one of the few definitive paragons of men’s fragrances. If there were an official fragrance for movies like Heat, Deep Cover, and King of New York, Azzaro pour Homme would be at the front of the line.

FloatingPoint's avatar

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

This is a remarkable scent, beautiful and unique. The only other fragrance I've sampled that attempts to recreate the smell of salt is Sel de Vetiver (which I do like), but this nails it so much more convincingly. It really does make me feel as if I'm at the seaside, surrounded by herbs and flowers. And in case you're wondering, the salty and medicinal notes keep the flowers from getting too flowery, making this a definite unisex fragrance in my book.

I can't say much else to add to flathorn's excellent review--I agree with every word, except that I crave this scent, not just in the winter, but all year long. That "fresh, salty bewitching air" is habit-forming, and I've come to find that I need a regular fix. I hope more people try this under-appreciated beauty and buy it so that it stays in production.

fusion's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

How isn't this more popular, this smells wonderful from beginning to end. This definitely knocks A*Men out wish I would've discovered this sooner, a great sleeper that I will be using regularly.

Agent Zero's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

An astoundingly good recreation of smoky, spiced tea. This was designed to smell like tea and it absolutely delivers in that regard. I guess this could be considered the British version of Mugler's Pure Coffee. It also has surprisingly good longevity. It's really a lovely scent.

But...

Do you really want to walk around smelling like a fresh cup of tea? I'm not so sure I do. I feel as though the standard reaction people would give you is not "oh, you smell nice", but rather "who's making tea?" This could smell amazing on the right person, but I think it would be better off as a scent for the room (L'Artisan actually makes something close to this as a candle/room scent called The Et Pain D'Epices).

Agent Zero's avatar

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

Wow, an extremely interesting and highly satisfying scent. I get the woods (cypress and pine) and the turpentine in abundance, especially at the beginning. Robin at NowSmellThis offers a very accurate description of this smell, saying "this is the smell of your father's woodshop, assuming you had a father with a woodshop." Well, my father had a woodshop (or at least the garage of our house where he would do work) and I can vouch for this description. At the same time, I find this to be very natural smelling. There's a trail where I enjoy riding my bike through a grove of trees. Every so often, I catch a whiff of something that smells exactly like Hinoki in the air. Either way, it evokes good memories for me. It's not the kind of thing I would wear all the time, but the second my bottle runs dry, I will be sure to get a new one. I find comfort and a unique harmony in its seeming cacophonous notes.

PS. This does not smell unisex to me at all. At all. In fact, the combination of woods and turpentine makes it, I think, one of the most masculine scents I own. Ladies, please don't wear this one. If my girlfriend wore this, I would most likely steal her bottle so she could never wear it again (and so I'd have more).