Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

French Cancan by Caron

That old lady with diminished eyebrows and growing dementia on the show again. You can have hint of many flowers jasmine, lily, violet... all in cloying heavy old oil forms. I cannot understand it. Some fragrances do not smell old though they are older (bellodgia from caron or rose bulgare from creed etc.) Sometimes that oldness comes from over usage of similar or replicating scents in cheap colognes of these old years. They remind me of my grandgrandaunts home colognes. They are old and worn out (like le heure bleu, vol de nuit etc). French cancan is a floral and is not worn out. But i think the scent material used in it is old kind of oils. I have jasmine oil from skinbiology. And we had a arabic jasmine on the terrace last summer. I liked to use this jasmine oil on me to power up the nice jasmine smell of a hot summer night. My husband is faked up many times though he knows i like to wear that jasmine scent for supper. But that old lady smells like not flowers but heavy old flower oils which i can name "old" immediately where ever i smell them.

vidabo's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

I'm surprised this hasn't been reviewed yet, even if the scent has a rather impenetrable character indeed. Only after having worn it occasionally for a couple of months does it reveal itself in a more comprehensive manner. These are the notes: tarragon, rose, lemon, ylang-ylang, davana, labdanum, frankincense, amber, musk, vetiver, myrrh, patchouli.

It's impeccably blended, the way Amouages are, but some notes do play lead. The overture is one of citrus and tarragon, strong, savory characters who remain throughout the play, but are joined by the ensemble after a while, developing an oriental theme, as the notes would indicate. In fact the base reminds me of Mitsouko (latest reformulation), which to me is an oriental chypre rather than a bare chypre. Despite being rich and smooth, Jubilation 25 has an understated character, which would make it suitable for casual wear, though it would fare just as well on any grand occasion. It is satisfying without giving away all of its secrets; mesmerizing in a similar fashion to Dia and Gold, but more adventurous and the most oriental of the lot.

Mad4WDW's avatar

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Opens with a strong Lime then it moves to a herby, grassy aroma. I really like it, its a nice one for the summer. Smells very natural to me.

I've had compliments while I've been wearing it which I haven't had for others I wear that get rave reviews here.Don't write it off before you try it I'd say.

It also layers nicely with another Jo Malone I have in my collection, Pomegranate Noir, another good one from this house.

Above average sillage and longevity for a cologne.

comsatzinger's avatar

Tokyo by Kenzo

I don't know what I bought this stuff for, really. Its not terrible, its just not good either. It smells very strongly of ginger and fruit at first. A little bit of pepper, also. Ends gingery and not great. It smells muffled and kind of off for its entire duration. Laaaater Tokyo.

AnnaBanana's avatar

Moods by Krizia

At first spritz, I smell hay or maybe straw, and yea, even something animal-like (as in, um, bad). And while the farmy first notes give way a little to something like honey, the overall scent is way to down-on-the-farm for my taste. Anyone want to swap :)??

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Being a cigar smoker,I had to try this one. Found it at TJMAXX for about 12 bucks. I didnt expect much but when I tried it I was pleasantly surprised,it really does smell alot like the inside of my cigar humidor. More the Spanish cedar than tobacco but quite acceptable. Opening notes are somewhat cirus like,lots of leather and finally settles in to one of my favorite woody frags.Kind of a creamy cedar scent at finish. I would soo much like to smell a similar frag done with a little better quality of leather and tobacco tho,that would be unbelievable.say maybe Creed.

Gendarme by Gendarme

I bought this one due to the great reviews here at Basenotes and found it via a low price of 15 dollars at LuckyScents. Haha I am sure it was a boo boo price at the time because it is now back up to 68 dollars a botlle. Gendarme pronounced "zhã darm"is a very light and clean frag,stays close to the skin. I love it but it doesnt seem to last very long at all on my skin,but alot of clean light scents are like that on me. I would use it alot more in summer but for the longevity/price ratio I will continue to look elsewhere for my "go to" summer frag.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

Nice frag. Very reminisent of Amen but somewhat lighter and more fruit up top. It still has some of the deep heavy tar/spice that attracted me so much to Amen but like I said much lighter,maybe a better canidate for the warmer months. All in all a very different scent,

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

Wonderful scent,Tommy nailed it to the wall with this one. Longevity isnt that great but I tend to soak up most frags rather quickly. The fresh scent of limes are quick to hit my nose and very quickly I swear it turns into a coconut snowcone ,sounds to sugary but it is very subtle and enjoyable,shortly after the rum takes over and it seems to have a little sandalwood in the background. with a very plesant salty undertone,how to you get that!?! Its like setting sail to a cove by a beautiful island. Thanks Tommy! What a wonderful summer scent.

Claiborne for Men by Liz Claiborne

Hm, melon. I smell a spicy melon. A nice light fragrance that's not gagging. Surprising from Liz Claiborne.

Must de Cartier Pour Homme by Cartier

A nice subtle anise in this one without it being typically dark. It comes off more bright and playful and the tonka bean sweetens the whole deal. A nice citrus herbal with good longevity.

Himalaya by Creed

A metallic citrus and oakmoss pepper that lasts for hours. Good for anytime but especially on cooler days. A feel-good fragrance.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

Good fragrance while it lasts. Casual summer wear. Very fresh and not over the top. A lot like Contradiction without all the herbal notes. I'd give it a full thumbs up if it lasted longer.

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

Between the two masculine fragrances offered by Ormonde Jayne, I would choose Isfarkand. A nice spicy woody fragrance that lasts for a while. I get whiffs of the woods in the drydown once in a while and it's really great. Slightly soapy with the moss but it doesn't get overbearing. Nice and good.

bassplayerchris's avatar

White Musk by Body Shop

Reasonable quality but anonymous and fairly generic scent. Starts off with lots of green notes and a strong smell of clean linen - it's similiar at this stage to Paul Smith Story, or Body Shop's own Kistna. It ends on a floral musky note.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Bandit by Robert Piguet

This is a review for Bandit EDP and Parfum, but it's also an update on the review I did yesterday for Tabac Blond and Habanita. But first a story that perfume junkie/hunters everywhere can appreciate: Yesterday I had one of those "Oprah Moments" (a term sarcastically coined by my good friend after catching a show where Oprah featured guests who write books on how you can bring anything you want into your life by simply visualizing it). Well yesterday I had an Oprah moment: I had just finished writing the review for Habanita and Tabac Blond in which I said that I would do update as soon as my sample of Bandit arrived (it hasn't). Having already experienced Habanita and Tabac Blond, I was fixated on Bandit which I had yet to smell. Just then a friend called and said that she was headed down to a shop we frequent that sells vintage furniture and other miscellaneous vintage odds and ends. I asked her to look out for some old perfumes and call me if they had anything, even though I really wasn't expecting that she would find anything that I would want. About 2 hours later my friend rang me up on her cell phone from the shop. She said, "I'm holding two black bottles. They're the same, except one has a black top and the other one has a clear top. They're by a Robert (she started spelling) P-i-g-u-e-t." Silence (from disbelief) on my end for a moment. "Spell that again" I said. She does, then says, "They're called Bandit. Bill (the owner) said you can have them both for $3. apiece." I'll be right over", I said.

Sure enough, within several minutes I had my hands on a 50 ml bottle of Bandit EDP and a 30 ml bottle of the pure parfum. I put them both on immediately.

All the posts that I've read about this scent are right when they say that there can be a world of difference when it comes to the EDP and the parfum versions of this scent. On first opening the bottles, the parfum smells more green/floral while the EDP has a spicier vetiver edge. Once sprayed and dabbed on, the EDP was much more aggressive while the parfum, after an initial harsh blast, immediately became a skin scent. After about 45 minutes the parfum had settled into a smooth and dry, subtle leather scent while the EDP became slightly sweet, spicy/vanillic with a leather edge, almost gourmand on my skin.Between the two, I prefer the EDP, but as the day wore on I experimented and found that the two layered, create something even more beautiful.

As with Habanita and Tabac Blond, I am now in love with Bandit and glad I own all three. All are beautiful, dark and mysterious. But how do they compare? Like I said in my previous review, from everything that I had read before I tried it, Bandit was supposed to be the real badass. I'll admit she's a pretty assassin (Angelina Jolie in "Wanted" or "Mr. and Mrs. Smith), but if these 3 leather-clad femme fatales were walking down a dark alley together, TABAC BLOND would be the one leading the way, with either a cigarette or a cigar dangling out of the side of her mouth.

bbBD's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

When I first bought a .25oz mini a while back the old lady didn't like it, so JV was relegated to the mini-bin and forgotten about. I was more than skeptical when I gave it another chance, but I'm glad I did. I gave it three tries over the last few days so I could really 'get' it.

What turned my woman off (and me as well) is the sticky-sweetness of the top notes. I suppose that's the 'dates' and 'tamarind'. Though it's not an overtly synthetic fruit sweetness of, say, Mont Blanc Individuel or Dunhill Desire, it's pretty overwhelming. About 30-minutes after application the sweetness begins to abate, and within 90-120 minutes JV really comes into its own. It is at this point I get the faintest - faintest - whiff of agarwood (eaglewood), along with leather and amber. There is only the faintest sweetness balancing the other accords. This is my favorite part of the life span on my skin, and it lasts quite a while.

After 4 hours the agarwood is gone, replaced by a creamy vanilla, thus becoming slightly sweet again. The vanilla is balanced with powdery soft woods and fleeting leather. JVs life span is amazing - easily 8-10 hours on my skin - but sillage is average/low-average. As another review complained, JV is initially too sweet to apply the amount necessary to really get good sillage during the mid and late development.

Even with the top being too sweet, this is very well crafted fragrance.

Astaroth's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

I tried this at the Scent Bar in Los Angeles today, pitting it against Il Profumo's Aria di Mare to see which was the more authentic marine fragrance. Lucky Scent describes Acqua di Sale as "the most realistic ocean scent we have ever encountered," and I am inclined to agree. There's no tanning lotion here; it just smells like you're catching an ocean breeze. Very authentic, and it lasts quite a while too. I applied it at 6pm and it is still detectable at 4am. And it hasn't morphed into some strange non-oceanic brew either; it's still just like sitting at the beach.

Having said that, it's pretty pricey, more than twice as much as the Aria di Mare for the same 100ml. And while the Aria di Mare starts out as a less authentic marine scent, it's drydown approaches a nice level of authenticity. So, if money is a concern and you can live with 95% of Acqua di Sale's authenticity, I recommend the Aria di Mare. But, if you really want total authenticity so that you can close your eyes and feel like you're really sitting right at the edge of the ocean, from application to drydown, Acqua di Sale is what you have been looking for.

Astaroth's avatar

Aria di Mare by Il Profumo

I tested this against Profumum's Acqua di Sale today at the Scent Bar in Los Angeles, to see which fragrance was the more authentic marine scent. Aria di Mare came up to about 95% of the authenticity of Acqua di Sale, with the top notes seeming to detract more from its authenticity than the drydown (which was fantastic). Aria di Mare is less than half the cost of Acqua di Sale, has similar longevity, and provides almost everything that Acqua di Sale does. It is an excellent choice for a (relatively) inexpensive marine fragrance.

bramble's avatar

Wild Hunt by CB I Hate Perfume

I get very little of the green scents. To me it smells very simply of the rich spongy soil on the forest floor. Dirt and decaying leaves. This is a wonderful comforting smell when your actually in the woods. It doesn't make sense as a perfume, but i kept going back to it to prove to myself i wasnt crazy, that someone actually bottled the smell of earth. I think ill keep my little decant around to sniff in the dead of winter when im craving the outdoors, but i don't see myself ever wearing it. It would be great for halloween to accompany a costume though. provided you were dressed as something subterranean.

DiscoDan's avatar

Fluid Man by Iceberg

At first mist I thought this would be amazing, it was sweet and woodsy, sage with a little spice.. but as i smell it i start to get nauscious. I've experiemented with putting on VERY small amounts and that's worked a little better. If you just barely mist yourself maybe it won't be so overwhelming.

Overall I'm not too impressed, the bottle is amazing, but the scent is kinda cheap smelling i think.

hmedlock's avatar

Calum by Calum Best

The review by vawallpa was the only review that I could find for this fragrance. After searching for it for over six months, I had it shipped overseas. I wholeheartedly agree with his review. It is a musky/floral/amber/vanilla accord and is the best scent that I have smelled and own. It is a new personal favorite. I love the cologne and recommend it for the secure man. You will not regret the purchase. Everyone loves this cologne on me. It was well worth the wait and the money and came nicely packaged as well. The only negative/drawback is that it is extremely hard to find, making it a rare gem.

Nukapai's avatar

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

A rose that's too dirty, too dusty, too musky for anyone except those who might like to smell like an ageing prostitute that time forgot. Yuk.

Natasha's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Chergui resonates with me on several levels; it is a scent which offers the wearer, if your body chemistry so allows, the chance to experience a completely unbiquitous experience. From the warmth of the hay and the amber to the sweetness of the honey, the creamy texture of the iris and the mellow sting of the leather; this perfume invites you to make a Middle Eastern memory and for those who are familiar with the region, the reproduction of that region's sensuality is astounding.

Despite not being able to remain faithful to one fragrance, Chergui is and always will be my big love, the warm, strong arms of a cashmere sage, forever protecting me from the eye of the Mistral.....

hjaffee's avatar

Tobacco Mucho by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

This perfume is bottled nostalgia . There are so many layers of very different scents, that it is difficult to know what images or moments in life this will conjure up. Musty tobacco, cracking leather books bindings, are just a couple that entwine with citrus and old wood (a cedar closet perhaps). Surely, everyone will react differently to this one, but I never get tired of it and I love it.

FRAGFAN's avatar

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

Just got a sample of this and it reminded my so much of Creed's Citrus Bigarrade which I really like alot. The thing with both of these scents is the longevity. I just wished that the lasted as great as they smell. Great while they hang around.

helenann's avatar

Coco by Chanel

A classy warm fragrance - just discovered this winter and LOVE it! I wear it with black and crimson and feel a million dollars!

helenann's avatar

Orris Noir by Ormonde Jayne

I longed for this for two years since the sample. Now I own and adore it. A classic and totally unique. A perfume with sophistication to be worn day or night.

JaimeB's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Woody, spicy, slightly floral, and gourmand all at once, this is an unusual scent. The top is citrus, spice and resin; the heart, white floral-sandalwood accord on a tea and chocolate gourmand center; and the base, with patchouli and the malvaceous seeds of hibiscus, gives an intriguing slant of depth and provides fixation anchoring the whole. This produces an overall feeling of warmth and woodiness as well as a touch of resinous earthiness, both of which enhance the mildly floral central gourmand theme. Very nice for day or evening social occasions, it radiates the right amount of warmth and inviting coziness to set one's companions at ease.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

It's unsurprising that this was discontinued. I worked my way through a bottle a few years ago. Got a compliment or two, but otherwise it never grabbed me. Just too flat. Rochas Man shares some notes with Yohji, but there at least the lavender picks things up a bit, not like champagne without the bubbles which is what Yohji was to me.