Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

surreality's avatar

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Euphoria Men opens with a citrusy note which quickly moves into an herbaceous and slightly floral heart. This drys down to a woody basenotes with a hint of suede. This lasts maybe 5-6 hrs and has a decent sillage. This is a pleasant, unobtrusive fragrance that seems to wear better in cooler weather.

funnyboy's avatar

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

Very strange fragrance to me .On my skin the sweetness of the so called plum notes turned to rancid fruit.This ended up smelling like curry powder eventually but gladly not for too long.. I bought this blind without having tried it.Glad it was not expensive.Wondereing if it had "gone off",or was it just not me...

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I just can't give this a thumbs up. It smells decent. When I first purchased this years ago it was distinctive enough where I felt like I was wearing something that stood out for summer. Not only has that changed but so did my feeling for the scent. It now goes on like bug spray and is almost caustic on me, even on drydown. I just cant wear this with confidence anymore.

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

I don't wear this anymore but this used to be a staple in my fall/winter set. It has a great classic scent that draws you in and has great sillage on me. The drydown on your clothing will draw women in. Great stuff for the price. the only way I can explain it is that this cologne reminds me of a Brooks Brothers type store with class and sophistication.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I just can't rip this. In the early to mid 90s I wore this exclusively and no matter what people say this cologne alone is the champion of the most compliments I ever received as women wither hugged me or wouldn't let go of me. That is all I can say. It has been years since I broke away but there are times I wonder if I'm too old to go back because it worked. I tested GIT and it is very similar. GIT is a little richer on how it drys down but not much to me to make a $200 difference.

The Dreamer by Versace

Tobacco and Spice is what I get from this and I like it alot. I purchased this during the winter months of 2001 and was taken in. There was a warmth to the scent that stays with you and the sillage is great. This one definitely brings back memories and I may go back to it again soon.

Jeans Couture Man by Versace

Without being too complicated this scent is sexy and fun. I get many compliments when I'm wearing it and I love it right out of the bottle. Too bad it is near impossible to find.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Last week I smelled this. This week I purchased it. Hands down my favorite aquatic scent. The thing I loved was the drydown. I was expecting a light scent that disappears like others but it was a woodsy, beachlike scent. Spicy. The sillage is great and it lasts quite awhile. This will always be high on my list for spring and summer.

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

I'm reviewing this on pure scent. It starts off a little spicy but drys down nicely. I really love it except for you better carry a bottle with you all day to refresh because it lasts 10 minutes. That is my one beef. But for the price right now it is something to grab.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm going to need a 3rd time for this one but so far it came off as STRONG, orange, peppery and overwhelming. Way too much and headache inducing. The second time I tried it it was a little better. Considering I like others that are allegedly similar I just don't get it. I definitely think this one could be one that grows on me later but right now, this is it.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Sillage and longivity was the death of this scent for me. I love it when it is first on and the drydown was great. But I lost it over minutes it seemed and I never could get my wife or anyone else to detect it on me. That may be the opposite of many. It is a shame too because the lightness and fresh feeling I got from it was great.

DiscoDan's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Cold by Benetton

I Like it!! It's not extraordinary, it's not loud or showy, but it's nice. it's fresh and clean and cheap. Because it's not so strong (and because it's affordable) i'm able to apply it generously after taking a shower or before bed and some of those other times when i want to smell good. Of course it works well while your out on the town, too. Typically i would mix it with something a little stronger if i'm going out though.

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

This surprised me because I hated it on the blotter enough not to even try it on my skin the first time some was shoved under my nose in a shop. I must also say that the ridiculous bottle put me off a little too.

Then, after having read the reviews here, I had to try again. I sprayed a generous amount on my skin. The opening felt so-so, but I smiled because it was much softer and a great deal more agreeable than the patchwork cacophony of chemicals I had previously experienced on the blotter. The scent remained almost unchanged for an hour, after which it evolved into "expensive fabric softener". Okay, I thought, this is pleasant, but nothing to write home about. Would appeal to lovers of clean smells.

Two hours in, the fragrance is still very much present, but it has transformed to one of the best florals I have ever experienced. It caresses the senses and comforts. It's gorgeous. I'm going to have to add this to my collection. I don't know whether to curse or thank Basenotes, but I would never have given Beyond Paradise another chance without this site.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I am lucky because I live in a world in which Mitsouko exists. I am lucky because Mitsouko likes my body chemistry. I want to put this marvel on a pedestal above the rest of my perfume wardrobe; to give it 6 stars instead of 5.

It is a perfume to be sampled on your skin - for an important reason - this is an old style fragrance that needs your skin as the final element of its composition (much more so than some of the created-to-be-fail-safe modern scents do).

For me, Mitsouko opens with a sparkling, mouth-watering bergamot and a hint of fruit (the fruit - like a peach that has been crystallised, dusted with vanilla, ground to a powder and sprinkled on top of the bergamot). This experience lasts just seconds, after which the fruit fades and the spices, nutty, papery, leathery and soothing powdery aromas come forth. This stage lasts at least an hour - then - the fruit returns, but this time it's covered in cream and caramel, accompanied by sexy woody notes and smoky green vetiver. This lasts for a good couple of hours; then fades to resins, wood and hint of powdery vanilla.

This composition and its development on my skin is interesting, sensual and wearable. My husband likes the smell very much and I like it on me too. It's one to wear when I want to feel comfortable in my skin, confident, sexy and grown-up feminine; without the sweeties.

I like the smell of books, old libraries, leather, pipe tobacco, spices, peaches, apricot, bergamot, jasmine and florals - and I don't care much for the overly "aquatic" aldehyde fragrances, or for the popular "melon" note. I also used to adore very sweet florals (Paris, Jardins de Bagatelle) and still happily wear the latter one of the two. Most of my everyday scents are fairly uncomplicated florals. This doesn't mean I can't also enjoy a walk on the Mitsouko side.

This is one to try and see; don't make up your mind until you've put some on your skin.

07 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 July, 2008)

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

I wore this shortly after it was first launched in the 80s and well into the early 90s. This is a full, intoxicating white floral done exceptionally well and a young, sweet fragrance done to perfection. Jardins de Bagatelle leaves the modern candyfloss scents aimed at the teenage market miles behind.

I no longer own a bottle, but one day I might again; depends how nostalgic I'll get! In a way I quite like each era to have its own signature scent, so I might be content to enjoy Bagatelle on others.

07 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Sugar by Fresh

It smells like home made lemonade and a little like a Finnish seasonal party drink "Sima"; a fermented lemon-flavoured home brew. Completely appropriate for a hot day, just like lemonade. The dry-down is a fairly basic vanilla and the citrus aroma doesn't linger much into it, but this is perhaps one of my all-time favourite uncomplicated foody, mouth watering summer scents. Nostalgia and perfume are notoriously linked and I probably like this because of the Finnish Sima connection; being a Finn away from home.

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I so, so, SO wanted to fall in love with this fragrance based on the notes, the description of it and on my first experience of it. When I first tried it a few weeks ago, the opening was gorgeous and inviting...and now, on my third try, after having sprayed it properly on my skin this time (not just a small squirt)...the dry-down is a real let-down! I get a mediocre amber cut with a stabbing, sharp note of paint stripper. This doesn't suit me at all.

Larry D's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Definitely a classic and it still holds up among today's modern scents. This is the first fragrance I ever owned and I still love to wear it occasionally. It is immensely popular with women and my girlfriend still prefers it over my other scents. To hate this just because of its overuse is denying its quality as a fragrance. It smells great and can be worn for any occasion.

Bibip's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

It has taken me 40 years to discover that this, indeed, is the fragrance I was born to wear. I was just too young when I first wore it. Next, I was too smart, careful and fragile. After that, I was too busy. Deaf to the hidden words. But now though - ah. That sigh. Those quiet smiles. The soft, elusive, exquisite moments. The fleeting visions of old friends. I've come home.

misbah's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

I love fragrance, and I love smelling good. But rarely does anyone ever comment of compliment me on the fragrance that i'm wearing!
    However there have been two fragrances in my collection that consistently get compliments from everyone around me. These two are BOSS BOTTLED, and LUCKY NUMBER 6.
    The amount of compliments I get from LUCKY is phenomenal. Even from complete strangers, i.e the checkout girl in my local newsagent. I can honestly say that for a "bargain bin" frag, LUCKY runs rings around the "higher end" frangrances.
    The top notes open with a fresh yet dark scent, that settles into a fruitier, delicious, yet still heavy scent. After this, its pure beauty till the very end. The gorgeous thing about this frag is that hardly anyone wears it, and it is the kind of scent that you wish people to remember you by. The only downside is that it does not have much prescence. By this I mean that unless you apply up to 5 squirts, the scent will be extremely subtle.
    Overall, a wonderful scent, that gets so many compliments its unreal. As soon as my bottle (which looks incredible in my collection) runs out, Ill be off to buy another one.

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

At the first try, it was too strange for me. But now, I get addicted to 2. To me, 2 is too stronge for women, but so stronge for men.

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

What a boring stupid thing from Cavalli stuff! A good designer can't "draw up" a good scent.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

It's CdG. So it's like noother. Can't compare it with Gucci things. 2 Man is masculin, soft, sweet, yet modern, unique and really strange. Somewhat metallic like CdG parfum, but this one has its own metallic, that makes 2 Man is incredible! Totally energy and sexy. I totally love it.

CoL's avatar

La Cologne Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I MUCH prefer this to its "original" version. This is much fresher, less cloying and far more interesting IMO. Very nice scent this and lasts rather well for an EDC too.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

One of the most perfect scents ever released. A cousin in spirit to Yves Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche Pour Homme-- they both share a slightly ironic take on classic, macho fragrances, but with a knowing intellectual wink. As others have said, these are both the equivalent to a fitted, black mens' dress shirt, open just a little at the collar.

Black Jeans is very dry and sharp. It opens with a kind of pleasant "fumes" accord that would appeal to glue sniffers or people who enjoy the smell of gasoline. Very masculine. Then it settles into a dry herbal zone with a perfect vetiver base. There's not much point talking about the notes, because the whole is so coherent. It sparkles darkly across a room.

I first discovered Black Jeans on a valet's table at a cheesy nightclub. Never having smelled it, I tried it and was astonished at how lively it was. It had real personality. I went back a few times to reapply-- I couldn't get enough. Unfortunately I had a hell of a time sourcing a bottle. Finally, years later I acquired a bottle from another Basenoter and was thrilled to finally be able to wear it again. Just the other day I snagged a second back-up bottle. With this being discontinued, I don't want to run out.

A true gem.

Envy by Gucci

Green, milky freesia and hyacinth. Envy is a classic scent, yet not my type. Smells like the ubiquitous department store of the 1990s. Ritzy, cool, and emotionally removed. Young women ready to go clubbing.

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

Sweet, carroty, very delicate peppery top note. This is a highly realistic but somewhat thin orris. It smells lovely, like genuine orris butter.

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

Loved this one. Rich, deep, spicy, creamy, sweet. I adore fragrances of this genre. Mandarin and jasmine, patchouli, and spices, all laid on a base that simply glows and ends up smelling like vanilla creme soda or sassaparilla. Luscious.

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Sweet, smokey. The birch tar smells dry and rubbery. More of an environmental scent, but people shouldn't smell like this, the outdoors should.

Jasmin de Nuit by Different Company

A floral that quickly turns into more of a spicy perfume. Features bergamot, mandarin, jasmine (all good partners) plus cinnamon and cardamom (another nice pairing.) Delightful.