Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

Calvin by Calvin Klein

One of the best and less garish of the fougeres I've ever tried. Brut come immediately to mind. I had the *cough* pleasure of trying out vintage and the current stuff/junk that's out now and Calvin is just leagues better. I hope to find an aftershave.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Deep freshness of warm lavender and spices with a supple vanilla and vetiver accord boosted by opoponax (which I usually loathe to smell). An evening scent. Classy.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Nice and subtle and amazing smell. These "Eau de Whatever's" seem to always be a great fragrance though they're almost all alike. Eau de Cartier has this weird yuzu/licorice note that distinguishes itself. Eau de Paco is very comparable to this, lacks the anise note and is stronger. This is still a great scent nonetheless.

Royal Delight by Creed

A sweet and subtle leather. Very classy. This stuff lasts! Definitely a delight. I get a bit of civet but it's not overwhelming. Great all around.

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

A ho-hum green woody fragrance that immediately reminded me of Gramercy Park by Bond no. 9.

Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama

This stuff is so weak that I had to spray it five times in the same place to get anything at all. Coconut, lime and rum. Just what you expect from a French owned Caribbean Island... wonder what this fragrance would've smelled like if the Swedish colony had stayed.

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

indescribable in the way that doesn't warrant compliment nor repulsion. This does have an effervescent accord to it but not like the new Izod for Men or Boss Pure. This is a subtle fizz that you get after a long night of staring at your tonic and gin wondering when the night will end because the company you're with is boring. This scent is inoffensive, good for a relaxing evening out spring, summer early fall.

Merbert's avatar

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

I think Hamptons should be renamed "Eau de Dirty Comb". This vile juice is a dead ringer for a dirty comb or a dandruff-ridden scalp coated with cheap shampoo residue. It is completely dissimilar to Creed Silver Mountain Water save for the rapidity of its fade.

Fortunately this vile concoction washes off easily.

lizzie_j's avatar

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

Finally-an Angel-ish scent that I like and can wear. Angel Innocent lacks the immediate body odour accord that I get from Angel. Maybe that's why it's innocent; meaning pre-pubertal, before the exocrine sweat glands start to work their magic!. Anyway, yes it is sweet, but I like sweet. And I still get a hint of patchouli, but not the Angel 100x dose. Very nice, not as unusual as Angel, but quite wearable.

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

very cleaver
    I don't like the pepper opening but I don't care to much for it.
    Pepper or perhaps(I guess) the cheap aromachemical they use to recreate the smell of it always turns very harsh on my skin... almost like amoniac feeling, but that part does not last long.... fortunately
    the rest is just very pleasent, not quite thrilling, but delivers what it is suposed to. It also reminds me of a lot of nice memories and has kind of a weird calming effect on me.
    An hour or so after application, I think I can figure out what a solo iso e super smells like: silky smooth and almost virginal and innocent clean soapy, slightly astringent wood with a low pitched buzzing bergamoty feel... hmm
    indeed, the way iso e super plays with the skin is very weird and intriguing. A minute, its is just imperceptible and the other you get a fresh/clean mini burst of the stuff and youre in heaven.
    If fahrenheit would not be loaded with iso e, it would be simply raw, brutal and completly unwearable IMO, but if theses brutal and sweaty notes werent there it, would'nt be as lovely either.... it would just be plain escentric 01... still nice...but I just happen to love fahrenheit so bad...dunno why, makes me weak in the knees every time I smell it. I don't thik it is just iso e super but it surely plays an important role in the play.
    although Escentric 01 does not projects like hell, my first application lasted all day long, even survived a shower and was still very there
    Escentric 01 turns out to be a very beautiful skin scent after the first few minutes, but when you do the maths, you could get about 5 kilos of pure uncut iso e super for the price of a single 100ml edt dillution
    how do you spell rip off?

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

When I look for musk, I'm not looking for "nice" musk. Musk Ravaguer opens with a sweet warmth like candied fruits and creamy woods and stays this way throught. I don't get any notes that are remotely animalic, musky or sexual. Sillage is moderate. I guess I'm more of an MKK kind of girl. Now if you want to experience something really dirrrrrrrrrty, layer MKK with a little Onda (smile/wink).

UPDATE: I was so disappointed that it wasn't the dirty scent I was looking for that I failed to appreciate how pretty it actually is. At this point the weather is hot and I'm noticing things about it that weren't coming out as much in the cooler weather. Also the sillage is better in heat. While it's still not dirty and sexual in that MKK kind of way, it's a scent that's beautiful enough that people witll notice and for that I'm changing my rating to a thumbs up.

10th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2009)

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Djedi by Guerlain

When I first applied Djedi I got a big blast of cedarwood and vetiver. Then, after a few moments a cool medicinal note like camphor emerged. That note was very brief and as it passed the scent became only slightly warmer and drier. The next phase is where I started to understand why others have compared Vera Profomo's Onda to Djedi. There are similarities at this stage. See Quarry's review below where her husband likened Djedi to the smell of a "dirty diaper". I have to admit that in both Djedi and Onda there is a note that does evoke that smell, but why it doesn't come off as offensive to me is a mystery. It is a strange note indeed, more pronounced (and consitant) in Onda, making the scent more feral, while in Djedi that note is more refined and layered with somthing so beautiful and melancholy, there are no words to describe it. That note is where the similarities between Djedi and Onda begin and end. Where Djedi is the dark, dank basement of the castle that so many have mentioned, Onda is a hot barn on a sunny day (i mean all of this in a GOOD way). Djedi is a journey that starts out at a place that's dark and cold. Along the way there are grasses, dirt and sweat with something mysterious lurking in the shadows. If you allow it, Djedi can take you to a place deep and primal that can't be described merely by listing what notes come first or second. It can take you to a place that's deep within and primal, where words have limitations and when you reach the light at the end of that tunnel, all that's left is a faint whisper of vetiver like nothing ever happened.

Many of you may have seen this already, but here is a link for an interesting piece of writing on perfume and the human condition:

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

There's not much to add by way of the glowing reviews on which I bought Curion blind. I may be the last lucky person to find this at suggested retail cost, because the site I bought it from is now sold out.

Knowing what I know now, I would definitely pay the $80-$120 asking price to keep an extra bottle on hand. I have a feeling Curion, which is already a cult classic, will be impossible to find for less than hundreds of dollars within a couple years.

Jaguar Performance by Jaguar

A blind Marshalls purchase for $20.... LOVE the bottle, the juice is barely tolerable. Sweet, synthetic, and fruity without much development. I don't get any of the notes from the pyramid at all.

The cap simulates a gas cap or other engine cap with its rubberized, grippy, large round top. The color and style of the bottle are striking, and thus this is not on my trade list.

Should have been named 'Buick Riveria'

United Colors of Benetton Unisex by Benetton

Decent enough but absolutely NO strength whatsoever. 5-6 sprays on my arm yielded a pleasant dry watermelon scent that wore off in less than one hour.

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

Not a bad scent, per se - but unbelievably low strength. Two sprays and I still smelled nothing on my arm. Four sprays and I noticed it was there, but only barely. Would not waste my money on this.

Tommy Summer 2008 by Tommy Hilfiger

Sampled via an open box at the local Marshalls. Typical light fruit/light citrus/short half life summer fragrance. Not great. Not Terrible. Not worth $30.

Gerco's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is adifferent smell indeed. Normally I go for the woody masculine scents, but this one is very nice. I get the
    sweet, spicy top notes and the star anise note is indeed prominent.) Then it moves quickly to flora; accord that’s dominated by a patchouli note. At last i got a a deep vetiver note drydown.

Barbersmell ? No way, this goes further than that. Recommended ! 8,5/10 oh,no............. defenitly a 9/10

10th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

surreality's avatar

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

Boss Pure has a fresh, clean, lightly citrus-y, aquatic, opening, balanced by a floral heart. Drys down to a woody, slightly vanillic note. Good longevity for an EdT (3-4 hrs) with a decent sillage. Definitely aimed at the younger crowd who want something different... but not too different. This is a nice enough fragrance, but there is nothing really special about it. The florals in this put it in the realm of a unisex fragrance.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

So I tried this stuff first when I was back in high school and like many people my age, I put WAAAAAYYYYY too much of this stuff on! Sometimes you can get away with this with a weaker fragrance, but since this one is so potent, there really is no excuse for putting copious amounts on.
    After wearing this stuff for about a week and wearing too much, I got sick and tired of it because it was very overwhelming and of course people cracked jokes saying I smelled like an old man....and compared to the crap they were wearing marketed to youth, Yes, it did smell more mature. They were wearing crap from AE, Abercrombie, Lacoste....you know, all the Atypical "young and modern" fragrances.
    So I gave it up for about 4 years. Nearly forgot about it until a couple days ago when I found it in my medicine cabinet...separate from the rest of the fragrance collection. I tried it on, and it smelled different to me. I suppose now that I've become a fragrance collector and have tried many, many fragrances, I have a greater appreciation for this one now.
    I no longer see it as an "old man's" fragrance. It is a very manly fragrance and when I wore it yesterday, I felt as if I had masculinity dripping from my pores. Many men's fragrances today have lots of fruit (citrus) and floral ingredients that take the edge off of the stronger, sharper components. Polo does too, but other stronger notes overpower them. It starts very strong with coniferous scents and actually has a very slow dry down. The change between notes takes much longer than more modern fragrances. The woody, coniferous notes never go away; they are there for the life of the fragrance. But the other notes you take in subtly change to floral then to the base of patchouli, leather, musk and oakmoss. The floral notes are there, but hidden behind the woody notes, so the fragrance stays very masculine.
    I wouldn't where this fragrance everyday, but on days I really feel like projecting my masculinity, I wear Polo.
    My wife likes the fragrance, which actually surprises me a little bit because she likes my more floral and citrusy fragrances, but doesn't really care for my other stronger fragrances like Obsession night. She says this one makes me seems to frame my maturity a little better than my other fragrances do. So I have no complaints here.

Anyways, I'd say this is must have for any fragrance collector's collection. Use sparingly and honestly you don't have to get the big bottle. A 1 or 2oz bottle will last quite a while since you only need 1 or 2 sprays max per application.

ToughCool's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I can't with a clear conscious sit here and act like I know alot about colognes or that I am a sheep and I am to follow the "hate Hugo" herd. I've never worn this but I have gone to 10 stores over the past month with Hugo in it. I keep spraying it on thinking I'll magically smell this synthetic disaster or smell some middle notes that don't jive. But all in all I just think it sprays on good and smells REALLY good on my skin. It is pleasant and it smells good. What can I say. I don't see the problem except that every teenager wore it. Doesn't mean it is bad. It is fresh and nice.

10th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2008)

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Jovan White Musk by Jovan

I like to layer this with Bath and Body works fragrances. Works very well.

MFJ's avatar

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

To my nose, this seems to be a combination of cognac + wood + vanilla + a very very light tint of citrus. Smooth, powdery, milky. My favorite contemporary release from Aigner.

10th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 May, 2010)

MFJ's avatar

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

The bottle looks like it came from the same factory as Givenchy very irresistible fresh attitude. And the juice is uncannily quite similar except that this doesn't have a minty opening. Really generic smelling. Neither citrus fresh, nor greenly refreshing nor rich and herbal. Pretty disappointing. I get a bit of woodsiness and florals on top of light citrus - a combination of a mediocre blend. doesn't last long nor have decent sillage. And since its only suitable for casual wear, I highly suggest one looks for something more distinctive or prominent. It would be a waste of money to spend on something this average. It does not stink, but is way too mediocre.

10th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

heyman1's avatar

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

About as refreshing as a splash of witch hazel after a shave to me. The notes all collide together when first applying and then fade pretty quickly.

SiameseCat's avatar

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

I've had this for some 12 years, and it's still special. I haven't worn it for ages, but reading on this site reminded me of it. I pretty much know now what to wear tomorrow.

At the time I worked with an optician. Having to adjust someone's glasses, I smelled this unusual scent and asked what it was. I managed to hold off only for few months (due to budget issues) and had to give in. For a long time it was my main fragrance, previously I had been heavy-handed with Casmir. The spiciness was just what I needed after that. I don't wear it a lot now, I want it to be special. It helps that it's quite hard to get, but thankfully it's not been discontinued. It is still available in many online stores.

Like most fragrances I like, it's very hard to define. It starts very fresh, then it's more spicy and towards the end it becomes pleasantly dry, even warm and woody.

mateo365's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This scent is elegant, but strikes me as synthetic. It reminds me a bit of how my mother's purse used to smell--a confluence of lipstickiness, powdery leather. I can see this working for the right guy, but it is not for me.

SavvyScent's avatar

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

In my opinion this scent works wonders with women, and if you're a hetro man you're not supposed to notice the effect the scent has, since it replicates the male pheromones. This one has an even greater effect if you wear it in warm climate, or even better if you sit under a outdoor heather for about ten minutes sipping a drink. Just a tip, the scent completely explodes when exposed to heath!

telesilla's avatar

Swank by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

BPAL says: "Simply cool, the essence of Lounge: the scent of a crisp pomegranate martini."

Swank is very sweet, but also, as they say, crisp. In fact, and this is always one of those mysteries, it smells cold. Cutting the sweetness down to tolerable levels is the martini part of the equation. This isn't a vodka martini, as one would expect. No, there's a hint of juniper berry in there, just the tiny touch needed to tell us that this martini is gin.

It's a very very simple scent, no morphing, no changing to anything else. It's got a clean sweetness to it that makes it the perfect summer weather fruit scent. It's got excellent staying power and a pretty standard throw/sillage for an oil.

Scented Susan's avatar

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I received a bottle of Lipstick Rose as a gift, and after sampling it very briefly (one day) I put it aside feeling it wasn't for me. The second sampling, months later was better, and I am about ready to buy a second bottle. I love to try all rose perfumes, but am picky I guess because some just fall flat or seem too commercial. I was wearing Rose Barbare for months on end and was happy. This one bright, cheerful, and more complex than I originally thought. Men seem very attracted to it, just as they are to The Rose Barbare. Must be the quality of the rose. Or men just love roses.