Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

Purple Water by Asprey

An excellent citrus and grapefruit that lasts. Not as sour as Be Delicious Men but if you love Be Delicious but are saddened by its lack of staying power then get Purple Water. I can also say it a good alternative to Creed's Neroli Sauvage but Purple Water not as metallic and ZING!y.

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Creamy amber cedar wood musk. Very sweet and powdery but not overbearing like, say, Obsession for Men. The cedar is off-putting the sweetness creating a darker overtone upon the cheerful amber.

l'eau de parfum #2 Spiritus / land by Miller et Bertaux

Herbal and heady. Very, very herbal. Rosemary, lavender, sage, thyme, ginger, they're all here in an irrational conglomerate. If you like to smell like a spice rack of green herbs then so be it.

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

Coolnose is sorta of correct, I get celery, too but it's sticking out of a glass of 7-Up. This is a slightly fizzy, vegetable/herbal citrus. Boss Pure got it right (instead of 7-UP it's Sprite), this one is just wrong but not ugly. Mediocre.

Vintage by John Varvatos

Holy crap rhubarb! I know you! You're in one of my favorite first "niche" frags, Ciel Mon Jardin. This is really, really fruity with herbal sweet notes underneath. Reminds me of any number of other designer fragrances: Dunhill Desire Blue, Mont Blanc Presence Cool, Adidas Dynamic Pulse, Rochas Aquaman, Versace Blue Jeans and... gasp, Nautica Cologne. Doesn't last at all. Nothing new.

Jean Pascal by Jean Pascal

I smell civet, musk, lavender, various herbs, moss. Musty and biting and dry. Imagine Homme de Gres style of dryness. Now, take away all the lemon and woods and add in Ungaro II. There. A close approximation of Jean Pascal. The civet note I smell isn't as agreesive as say, Kouros nor is it as refined and urbane as Ungaro II. This is a well made scent but I'd rather have other like it for the price.

Dragon by Parfums Raffy

Reminds me of Prada Amber Pour Homme. This isn't as cloying as Prada but it's the spicy soapy smell that gets to me. The drydown is almost similar but this is creamier than Prada. Sharp and spicy on top and sweet and creamy on the bottom. The tinge of woods smooth everything out but I can't get past that opening. Well crafted but not my style. I'm neutral on this.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Nautica Competition (original) by Nautica

A rather intresting fragrance that is had to find now a days.. But it is worth the money. It's longevity is good & it smells great! I just dont get the gasoline smell that some have mentioned. Altho it is a smell that cannot be resisted & people will always ask what is that your wearing! Good Job Nautica.... NOW BRING IT BACK!

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Now this is good stuff! While at Macy's last year I asked the clerk to give me something with a sweet scent as I prefer those over those woodsy, tobacco scents. & she bought me Diesel Fuel for Life! Yes it suits a guy in his early 20's or even a teenager.. But who cares? It smells great & the bottle is nice thanx to the pouch that covers up the boring bottle! lol! All this and because it last a nice long length on my skin ill give it 4 out of 5!

Mokkie's avatar

Blue by Ralph Lauren

Ok, there are way too many "guys" stating they use this as a unisex frag that i went to purchase this today *(im a guy).

Well, i guess it can be pass off as a unisex frag, i hope it does....it is nice..light, flora....not offensive....

I shall put this on tomorrow and see how the office reacts..hehehehe...

Galleddrim's avatar

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Whoa. I think this my be my current favorite. It is the deepest most woody frag I have tried, though my experience is admittedly limited. However, I have built a decent collection in the past few months, and Declaration Essence definitely stands out.

The bottle is definitely cool, although I have a tester which has the "not for sale" text printed all over the front (as opposed to a sticker, which can easily be removed).

Declaration Essence opens with a round and gentle citric rush, but the woods are apparent along with the top notes immediately. The citrus fades into a subtle hint and the spicy woods take over. I think I might detect a bit of amber in there too, and Fragrantica shows amber in the pyramid. I don't know what their source is. The notes on the bottle don't match the Basenotes pyramid either. Drydown is extremely woody and warm. But it has lots of class, bringing to mind more fine furniture than carpentry workshop.

This frag has both projection and longevity in spades. It hangs around for a few hours on my skin, and for me that is a long time.

Now I'm interested in trying more Cartier frags, particularly the LE Declaration Essence. This has been described as lighter than the original Declaration, so I probably won't go there, as this frag I think is as potent as I'd want to get. Any heavier would be overpowering.

Declaration Essence will definitely have a permanent place in my wardrobe.

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

I would not have known that this scent was marketed as a Woman's fragrance if it weren't for Basenotes! The opening is a nuclear cloud of isopropyl alcohol (IPA), which is forgivable, since this is not an oil based perfume, and the IPA-medicinal mushroom cloud disperses quickly enough. What comes next, (or even simultaneously but I don't notice because I'm distracted by the IPA), is a sharp, slightly bitter, green accord that is not unpleasant, but not the tea and citrus I expected. I thought Chemical Bonding, by it's name, would be some type of phermone and musk laden uber-sensual fragrance that focused on "organic" chemicals, attraction between people, etc... Instead it's more synthetic and "inorganic." Interesting and creative, so points for that, but not something I'd reach for very often. Gets a full blown "meh."!!

Corrida by Satellite

I agree with foetidus; this is a fruity scent. But it's also much more. The fragrance rather quickly dispatches much of the fruity vibe (raspberries? strawberries? both? and currants) and in come some lovely floral notes, including rose and muguet. The fruit winds in and out, lightening and sweetening the flowers a bit, but Corrida is NOT overly sweet by any means. As the fragrance develops I smell a beautiful soft sandalwood which persists for the next hour or two. Not super long lasting; about medium on my skin. A fruity floral? Yes, but I think it stands out from the crowded field of contemporary fruity florals. AND it comes in a gorgeous bottle filled with bright red juice (I wonder if it could stain my clothes?--probably if I wasn't careful!) Just LOVE this stuff.

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

A favorite gourmand. I get quite a bit of licorice, but for some reason it's not bothersome to me, though I usually dislike licorice accord. Probably because it's expertly blended with nuts, vanilla, a hint of caramel, and a deep dark chocolate that comes on slowly in the fragrance's prograssion. Despite the above it is NOT sweet, so you gooey sticky sweet dessert gourmand lovers might not like it. I'm finding out that I love most gourmands, sweet and not. Extra points for creativity-for coming up with such an interesting & grownup gourmand. I understand the Angel analogy brought up by LisaWood, and I can see aspects of Aomassai where that rings true, but to me it's much better, without the skank/b.o. accord that makes Angel unwearable on my skin. A wishlist item.

Jemimagold's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garçons

It is inexplicable why, in the sweltering days of summer in Houston, Texas, I have had an urge to explore Comme des Garcons' Incense and Wood Series. It makes no sense and moreover, I did not grow up around incense (I'm not Catholic, Buddhist, Russian Orthodox, etc...) or any forests of note so these are not reference smells for me but wow, I am certainly enjoying these perfumes!

Comme des Garcons' Kyoto is the "prettiest" one of the incense series, an austere bunch of scents. It is most similar to CdG's Zagorsk but Kyoto is a wee bit more girlish and fruity incense whereas Zagorsk is uncompromising warm wooded incense. Another observation is that Kyoto is similar style-wise to CdG's Ourzazate in that they both start off powerfully and then gracefully scale back to become almost minimalist fragrances. If it weren't for today's energy prices, I would crank my air-conditioning way down, pull on a cozy sweater, spray on Kyoto and luxuriate in it! Winter can't come to the Gulf Coast fast enough.

Here are Kyoto's notes, per The Perfumed Court: incense oil, cypress coffee, teak wood, vetiver, patchouli, amber, everlasting flower and Virginia cedar.

Jemimagold's avatar

Lalique Le Parfum by Lalique

Lalique's Le Parfum is a classic 80's style of a loud floral perfume in the tradition of Giorgio, Balenciaga's Rumba (JCE- what were you thinking??) or perhaps Chloe's Narcisse. Upon application, it was a loud floriental that shrieked "I am perfume!" Okay, already. However, just as I was seriously contemplating scrubbing it off my wrist, Le Parfum mellowed into a passably pleasant scent.

Personally, I think Lalique should just stick to glass-blowing.

bamacharm's avatar

Eau de Caron Forte by Caron

I detect the same essence in Eau de Caron Forte that I find offensive in Body Kouros. It's not as strong but it's unmistakable. Some people adore that Kouros accord and an equal number detest it. Count me in the latter. I blindly purchased a 3.4 oz bottle of Eau de Caron Forte on Ebay that will now go unused. For me, there isn't anything in this that I find appealing.

Big_Scooter's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I can appreciate this scent as imaginative, intriguing, and complex but as far as personal fragrances are concerned, I think one would be better suited by hanging 4-5 of those pine tree shaped air fresheners around your neck.

This is a beautiful refinement of the smell of a urinal cake, and if that is what YSL was trying for it was a remarkable success. Kouros gets a neutral rating for being of excellent quality, but having no real use as a personal fragrance. IMHO.

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Oh thank you Lord. This scent is perfectly named, it presents the root as a comet, the earth as the moon, paramours orbiting each other, both silvery and warm. It is transfigured celery or turnip. I wonder if it could do with one more glinting note amid this intoxicating soup of earth (cuts off the hand that wrote those impious words). A comparison with CB I Hate Perfume Black March would be in order. But this is way out there beyond that - stratospherically good.

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Rousse’s bigger brother; thinks it’s tough but is no more than Chief Constable of midWales [ for US readers = sheriff of a suburb of Seattle]. You can still detect the Lutens sweet accord at the root of it all and the freckles are just as visible as in Rousse though it has coconut and cumin matting on its chest in a frail attempt at bristles; it has less of a story to tell than Rousse and once it’s got started it just stands in the corner, sweating a bit at the armpits, talking about leather and how the freemasons do excellent charity work.

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Not even having often read it about it prepares you for the initial menthylated vapour rub. When you smell it you remember that Lutens thinks Genet is a great writer, and how wrong he is to think that - like Genet, it's punishingly overstated and has less to say than you would think from all the fuss it makes. The odour of incinerated alkie takes a long while to die back. You keep hoping something sweeter will come of it, like good out of a wasted life, and, with great reluctance, like most addicts, it slowly blossoms but the menthol barracuda is always there just beneath the surface lush. It’s more an Aesop’s fable than a scent, it dies down very mild and sweet as if ideally rehabilitated. Notes: tuberose, orange blossom, hyacinth, jasmine, musk, vanilla, styrax, nutmeg, clove – which only goes to show how little ‘notes’ tell a lay-person because nothing in that list would lead you to guess remotely what the opening is like.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I really don't know how to describe this one. It has a quick citrus opening, and quickly goes to the lower notes. The middle and basenotes are slightly floral with a hint of herbal and woody. I find it intoxicating and a soft, delicate fragrance that maintains its masculinity by incorporating amber and tea notes.
    Great for casual wear on any day.

funnyboy's avatar

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Cant get my head round this one even though the longevity is good.Sometime gives me a headache and cannot wear it during the dat.Minty fresh to start but its sytheticness is quite annoying.Not one you would want to smell on your clothes after a night out.Despite this other people seem to like the smell on me and it is a bargain.Picked up a 125ml edt for less than£10.

Ziret's avatar

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

Living 240 miles from The Perfume House in Portland, Oregon, I have to get my perfume fix at the local Macy's. The day I went there were few customers and after chatting up the sales associate, just asked her for samples of everything she had samples of. I got the new cotton candy frags, some SJP Lovely and this. I don't see resemblance to Lovely at all, which I couldn't scrub off my arm for three days. This was the only one of the bunch I not only would wear, but love. It's adult, warm, and though at first sniff I would have confined it to fall, the dry-down would work in any season except, perhaps, spring. It's the first new release in a long time that I wouldn't leave for the younger women--finally, something for them to grow into. The only reason I'm not saving to buy it is that it has so little lasting power. It remind me of something, but I can't think what. Not Lovely, though, not at all.

flowerchild_Annie's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Pleasures Exotic by Estée Lauder

Absolutely delicious. I can't even wear this too often because I feel like I need to be "in the mood" for it, I mean I've to bee happy at the moment, because I like this so very much I can't wear it when I'm kind of down.

flowerchild_Annie's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

It's simply too much stuff, I don't even start to recognize any particular flower or spice, it's like they just put all kind of stuff they could imagine and turn on the blender. It's too overwhelming to stand for a few minutes on your skin.

No. 19 by Chanel

Citrus baby powder. That's it...the only way I can describe it.

****EDIT 07/11/2009**** I would like to profusely recant the review above. I tested No. 19 in the most hurried, and for the most part without serious contemplation and thought. The review above was all about initial impressions and nothing really about the whole composition in itself, because as I've discovered recently, there are beautiful and notable facets to this scent.

I wanted to review all three with some substance to them, but unfortunately, my review on the EdP will be rather thin and from vague memory.

EdT: This was where my initial impression came from. Smelling its topnotes in the air and catching citrus-green astringent and powdery notes. Many are put off by Chanel's recent reformulation, I'm not sure if it was another reformulation when the color went from a hunter green to an almost fluorescent green. I am reviewing the fluorescent green one here. The galbanum makes so much of an impression in the beginning, leafy and stemmy--crisp notes that give the impression of a spring morning after the rain.

As the green notes fade, there is a slight warmth of rose which is quickly replaced by bright, high pitched notes of muguet and ylang-ylang sweetened slightly by jasmine. Mossy notes start to appear, supported by green notes of vetiver.

As we head towards the drydown, the clearest note of leather appears, cold but sweet if you can understand what I mean--nothing animalic about it if this is a way to put it.

Finally, a trail of clean but sensual musk appears to end the experience. I was thoroughly entertained by this experience. Not many seem to enjoy this incarnation, but I think it is certainly one of the greatest perfume artistry in terms of its evolution and expression. The gents can certainly wear this because of its barely gender identified composition. One could easily mistake this as an EdC, very abstract enough, and you could describe this incarnation as niche quality. Some say that it is ahead of its time, but really, I don't think the older formulation smelled this way. Those who have followed No. 19 since 1971 please comment.

EDP: As I said, this isn't from vague memory. The EdP, as I remember is much more assertive. In a way, it smells classy, but bitchy. She knows what she wants, and is a bit audacious. The transitions if I remember are not smooth. The notes announce themselves then recede into the background from one phase to the next. Overall it is deeper, much like the parfum, but I think it has a more powdery edge to it compared to the parfum, but definitely louder. I wish I could say more about the base, but I had stopped paying attention to the fragrance when I tested it. Smelling this version lets you understand what the next step would be in Chanel's perfumes--the creation of Cristalle, the freebird sister.

PARFUM: The parfum is the true expression of the fragrance. Neither too assertive or too clean, it is a subdued fragrance that is personal, the homage to Coco Chanel's own personal scent.

This review is for a vintage edition imported from France, before the color of the juice was made a faint green. It begins with its classic citrus green notes, but with a very warm but transient notes of hyacinth and aldehydes. A definite note of rose appears, soon joined by bright notes of muguet and ylang-ylang. Powdery notes of orris and narcissus are there, but do not try to take over the rose that sits perfectly at the center.

As the drydown appears, the vetiver is very apparent. Leather appears, but much warmer than the EdT. There is a slight trace of familiarity with Cuir de Russie's composition, but isn't as animalic. The final notes appear as sandalwood on me. I can't detect the musk at all.

Overall, this version is quiet and contemplative with a streak of sophistication and romanticism. Much like how I would imagine Mlle. Chanel would be. There is also a hint of melancholy, a hint of the unfulfilled, the desire to do much more--ambition that hasn't found completion. You also can feel the nostalgia, a mark of everything that comes right up to this point in this fashion house. On a personal and deep level, I too can identify with these notions.

I think the EdT should be a quintessential scent to be worn in the spring and summer. Its leathery nuances make it great for a dash of sophistication at the office and for intimate evening formals.

The parfum is great for romantic moods or for contemplation without wearing something overbearing but always in the background. It can be worn for all seasons. All three however, express such a different facet in a person they would like to bring to light. Choose one version to express who you are!

02 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2009)

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

I didn't care to give this one a sniff when first hearing about this. Angel or Devil made me think that it would be too gimicky and probably not too memorable enough to warrant a sniff. I was wrong. I can't say it is a strange scent, but I would think this scent is definitely different. It starts off bold, a bit smoky and a bit leather like with saffron accents veiled with a bright note of mandarin. It begins deep, and yes, devilish, then the more sweet and tender aspects of lily and orchid emerge. These florals are not punctuated, but seem to keep a neutral aspect against the woods and vanilla. I keep thinking the composition keeps playing with masculine and feminine aspects as well. Sweet and woody, much like Xeryus Rouge. As the lighter floral notes relax and start to dissipate, the base does become very sweet and candyish with an undertone of patchouli before finally leaving deep woody traces. Ange ou Demon? I still don't know. The both seem to keep me fixated and entranced.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

You smell mostly citrus and cedar with this one. What I thought to be a patchouli note might be the sweaty aspects of the agarwood. It's not dark, but a bit of the obsessively clean and the dirty sexy all rolled up into one. I was impressed with it on first sniff, enjoying its fresh woodiness. Terre d'Hermes was dry as a bone, but the citrus in this eases the loghouse scent impression. Good job for their first Mens scent.

JaimeB's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

Leafy green at first, then figgy-pudding fruity, and finally a round accord of rich wood and coconut. A very nice scent. It seems a bit sharply green at first, but the edge soon wears off to reveal a softer, pulpier fig note. The best is the final drydown, which does last longer than I thought at first. The sillage on this is moderate after the first stage; and while the longevity seems better than the first time I tried it, it still isn't as long-lived as many other scents. Alas, if Diptyque could improve longevity, it would make their offerings much more attractive!