Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

I heard of this one not too long ago and read all the good reviews for it, but tried not to be influenced by them and find my own opinion. Quite fruity when you first spray it on, but it evens out with the spicy notes as it dries down and they blend together really well. It lasts very long too, the scent on the card I tested it on lasted for two days!

A wonderful scent and for a great price as well.

It's perfect for my age group and it'll be one of my most favourites to wear during the summer.

Style In Play by Lacoste

Very unique indeed, great for the younger crowd. The opening's quite a little too spicy, but it has a sweet woody musk scent once it dries down. It lasts for a good amount of time (8-10 hours). I wore it for the past summer so far and I get quite a few good compliments on this one. It's great for spring as well.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

This has been the best use of apples I've ever smelled in a fragrance, and the notes of rum are just as good too! It's a signature fragrance for the fall/winter season for me, because I love sweet fragrances (as young as I am), but it's so warm and spicy that I just have to have it for that time of the year. Perfect for the younger crowd as well.

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

I am not for Boss' fragrances, but from the minty/fruity spray on to the peppery dry down: I really like this one. It took me by surprise, the scent life is excellent as well. It smells good for my age. I hope to add this to my collection someday.

MissBehaviour's avatar
    MissBehaviour
    Germany Germany

Jovan Musk by Jovan

I am a musk fan and enjoy finding inexpensive fragrances to add to my collection, but this simply didn't wow me on any level--even for the price. The smell is a pleasant enough powdery white floral one, but it evaporates on my skin seconds after application. If I want this to show up I need to douse myself in it, and the effect of that is too artificially cloying. I now use it to scent my laundry. My all time favourite inexpensive musk is still The Body Shop's White Musk (the perfume oil version), closely followed by The Body Shop's Japanese Musk perfume oil.

MissBehaviour's avatar
    MissBehaviour
    Germany Germany

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

I love patchouli, musk and jasmine, so the fact that I found this fragrance so deeply unappealing is a surprise. The initial burst of this on my skin was simply rank; it reminded me of car freshener. I'm not sure if it is the blackcurrant note that is contributing to the "off" sensation I get from this. Worst of all, this did not last well on my skin and went pretty much from awful to non-existent in the space of 30 minutes.

Nukapai's avatar
    Nukapai

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

This may have been one of the first fragrances created to suggest that jewels have a scent. Except that the various laundry detergents carrying "diamond" and "ruby" fragrances today are far more sophisticated. If diamonds smelled like this, nobody would want them.

This perfume has the odour of an old wig that's been in heavy use, perfumed, powdered and seldom washed.

Larry D's avatar
    Larry D

Pi by Givenchy

I sprayed a tester of Pi on my hand and twenty minutes later I smelled my hand and almost wanted to eat it. Pi smells delicious, and works perfectly on my skin. Somehow Pi stays masculine enough for me to love it. An excellent scent indeed.

Yasmin by Ayala Moriel

This starts out as candied jasmine floral blend, with a hint of baritone woods. The supporting cast of gardenia and mimosa do wonders to add sweetness and roundness to the sometimes bitter, sharp note.

However, like most jasmine notes are prone to do, the gorgeous first impression lessens with every passing moment. The soft, heady jasmine fades quickly, and the light, woody base comes out more and more.

I like it, I'm just bummed that the dry down isn't more like the opening.

Viola by Ayala Moriel

In the vial, I notice the creamy vanilla and tonka, along with a soft floral swirl.

On the skin, I can notice the ylang-ylang and rose, and I can't say that violet jumps out at me. There's a fascinating creamy base from the tonka, and the fresh-picked rose dances above the sweet cream. This is a lovely, womanly, sophisticated perfume. I just expected the violet to bloom more - it is overshadowed by the rose (although the rose is still unusually understated and tame). Very pretty floral blend, perfect for a fancy night out!

Zohar by Ayala Moriel

Zohar starts out with a blast of bitter neroli, and quickly softens to a lighthearted orange blossom. This central note is tempered with jasmine and creamy tuberose to cut into the powder and citrus and smooth everything out. The amber is faint but provides an interesting golden undertone. It's a nice twist on orange flower, although it's a little too creamy for me, personally. The scent overall is certainly a success, though!

Les Nuages de Joie Jaune by Ayala Moriel

In the vial, this is mostly vanilla to me.

On the skin, it starts with a crisp herbal burst before settling down into a fresh, soft floral. I can pick out the violet if I concentrate on the note. The vanilla is in the background, adding a faint creamy base.

This scent is light, understated and pretty. Unfortunately, with my chemistry, it has a slight plastic note after a while.

shezbabe11's avatar
    shezbabe11

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Wow i absolutely love this fragrance and repurchased when i ran out. It is quite a powerful perfume and i use this on nights out when i want to feel really sexy, the perfume lasts a very long time on your skin and you can still smell it the morning after. Only a couple of sprays is plenty. This is definately a scent that i can't live without it is warm and inviting and makes you feel loved.....

louise_r@sol.dk's avatar
    louise_r@sol.dk
    Denmark Denmark

Joop! Nuit d'Été by Joop!

Best perfume in history. Hope they will re-launch it one day.

Buzzlepuff's avatar
    Buzzlepuff

28 La Pausa by Chanel

A dry woodland iris that is a very earthy violet flower scent with no powder to speak of. The iris leads to a soft animalic musk scent that blends to the skin of the wearer extremely well. Is it jasmine or cumin along with a touch of rose that gives the soft warm smell of hot skin just beneath the veil of iris flower. This is a sophisticated and very comfortable fragrance to wear. It comforts with warm dry yet very gentle aura of friendliness.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

Another of my great-grandma's scents, Chloe seemed supremly stinky to me as a child, but I rediscovered it a while back and liked what I smelled. I'm a Lilly of the Valley fan, and I liked the sweet melange of florals that dried down to a powdery softness that was quite appealing. Imagine my consternation, then, when I found out the old Chloe is being discontinued. I better run out and get some before it gets swept away by the new iteration (if it hasn't all ready).

J'Adore by Christian Dior

J'Adore was my first "adult" fragrance. After spending my early twenties wandering through the wilderness of fruity body sprays, I found J'Adore. What a lot of reviewers refer to as "boring", I refer to as "dependable". J'Adore goes on J'Adore, and stays J'Adore for the rest of the day. That's no mean feat, considering my chemistry wreaks havoc on many perfumes, making them dissapear entirely in a short time. J'Adore has persistance and a refined scent that is the best of the white flower fragrances- sweet without being cloying, and approachable without feeling cheap.

Lady Stetson by Stetson

Cheap, and it smells it. This was one of the perfumes I was stuck with growing up. Since my whole perfume "wardrobe" consisted of stuff I was given as gifts, Lady Stetson joined the ranks of such forgettable scents as Exclamation, Love's Baby Soft, Electric Youth, and something put out by Jordache that was so horrible I've conveniently forgotten it's name. It is alcohol-y and blessedly short-lived, and has no real distinctive notes.

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Exclamation was one of the scents I was condemned to as a child. It was popular, I received it as a gift, I wore it. I also found it to be overpowering and obnoxious, and too much induced a headache. Over time, my sense of smell has changed, and things I found to be unbearably strong as a child are much less obnoxious to me now. I wonder if I revisited Exclamation if I would have kinder things to say about it?

Nah.

Vanilla Fields by Coty

One of the mid-nineties vanilla scents- the least among them, actually. I once made the mistake of saying I liked this, and ended up getting annual gifts of it from my well-meaning ex mother in law. I still keep a bottle of it stashed in my train case because I wouldn't be terribly upset if it got broken or lost, but I don't mind wearing it, either. The vanilla isn't very sweet, as such things go, and sort of floats beneath other poorly-defined florals.

Vanilla Musk by Coty

The better of the cheap mid-nineties vanilla scents. Vanilla musk is a warm, sweet vanilla, and the musk gives it a nice soft drydown.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

My mother's signature scent in the early 80's was Cinnabar. I remember it being deep, exotic, and very spicy. It just screamed "grown up" to me, and I used to sneak a spritz on occasion. I would love to revisit it today and see if it still smells like the quintessence of sophistication.

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

Yumm! I love this scent. I have the cologne, and I apply it liberally, and I find it lasts for me. I detect a spiciness- an almost carnation-y secent that I just love, along with the powdery sweet florals. This is a great daytime scent, though I enjoy wearing it to bed, too. A classic that deserves its reputation- that's White Shoulders.

21st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2008)

Shalimar by Guerlain

My mother always disparaged Shalimar because she believed its popularity unfairly detracted from her favorite scent- Guerlain's Chant d'Aromes. I dismissed Shalimar because of this, and because of my mistaken belief that "Old"="Old Lady". Wow! Was I wrong. This is strong, heady stuff, but it is so dynamic and sophisticated on! I am further amazed when I look at the short list of notes in Shalimar. What is it that gives it all that drama? The opopnax, perhaps? This is a great scent that would be a fabulous night time scent or a scent to wear with your best power suit and killer heels.

Bora Bora for Women by Liz Claiborne

Bora Bora reminds me of Dior's J'Adore. As a matter of fact, I consider it to be J'Adore Light. The problem is the "light". This scent has little persistance on me. I like the white florals, even though they have become so overdone lately. This one is slightly fruity with a warmer drydown than some of the other whites, which makes it a nice scent, albiet a fleeting one on me.

Nautica Woman by Nautica

Reminicent of Charlie, this is a nice, solid scent. It works well at the office or on the weekends, and the drydown is a nice, unobtrusive clean floral.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This was a scent of my great-grandmother's. When I was a child, I thought it was stinky skunk oil, though I was always captivated by the dove stopper. I revisited this recently, and I was pleasantly surprised. To my adult nose, it smelled fresh and romantic, with just a touch of earthiness in the rose notes. This could be effective as either a day scent or a night scent. I want to purchase a bottle and see if it will live up to the ultimate test- will it last more than an hour on my skin? If it does, this might become one of my five-star scents.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

This is my grandmother's signature scent. She is 86, and I am 32, and I think it works equally well on both of us. Charlie is a seamless scent- it has good persistance and it stays true all day. The only quibble I have with it is the "Blue" incarnation. It smells slightly different than the original- my grandma had an old bottle of the original that got tucked away half-used in a cabinet, and when I compared it to a bottle of "Blue", the original seemed slightly warmer and deeper, with a slightly spicier drydown. Perhaps that is due to age, but the effect is generally more pleasing. A perfume that reminds me of Charlie is Nautica woman, which has that same seamlessness, and a touch more persitance than the "Blue".

Island Kiss by Escada

I liked Island Kiss- until I tried it on. It lasts for about 30 minutes. It also smells almost exactly like Rockin ' Rio and Sunset Heat. Is Escada just repackaging this fragrance annually? It's sweet and fruity, and if it lasted, it would be a real summertime treat. What a shame.

Curious by Britney Spears

As insignificant as the pop star who lent it her name, Curious smells lke nothing other than a child's modeling clay I once played with. It has no drydown, as it simply doesn't last that long. The bottle is cute, but that's slight praise for a perfume.