Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

ori's avatar

Beach Smells by Smell THIS

I bought this scent-unseen based on calchic's review, and was really hoping to get a clean, saltwater + cocoa butter fragrance. On me, however, it smells artificial and floral, almost soapy. This is especially unfortunate as I'm a guy and could perhaps pull off a clean cocoa-buttery scent, but not so much this fake-floral thing. Too bad, because it sounded great.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

I only bought this frag because of the blue Tommy Hilfiger flight bag that was coming with it free of charge. But the perfume itself is nothing to talk about. I will never have this again, and i can't wait for the moment when i finally finish this endless 100 ml bottle.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

If you are wearing a black velvet jacket, a tailored shirt, deep blue denim jeans and cool sneakers, Dior Homme will complete your image perfectly. This is not a summer frangrance at all. To my mind it's best for autumn. The scent of autumn chill. This frag simply blows be away. This is definitely a masterpiece. Just look at the bottle. Isn't it a stunner? The spray button of the bottle is pressed so softly and the sound of spraying is very pleasant. This is a superfecta. Hats off to Dior.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

To me this seems to be one ofthe best winter frags. It sounds amazing on a sunny winter snowy day.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

Neither Eau de Rochas, Loewe Para Hombre, Versace l'Homme (1984) nor Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes need shake in their boots with fear. On the other hand, Armani Eau PH and a hundred other trendy lime-lemon citrus bombs which would rightly be forgotten but for the designer label should hang their heads in shame.
    This is an uplifting el cheapo, which does for citrus what that other cheapo, Clinique Happy does for oranges--in fact it does it better.
    And to add to that, what SirSlarty said, word for word.
    Get yer compliments!

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is a B+ aqua that's on the good side of not so boring. Easily wearable, but it ain't no great shakes--no Gai Mattiolo Uomo or Erolfa.

However should you be in the market for a versatile and inexpensive fragrance, go for it.
    May I suggest you also check out also Caroline Herrera's 212 H2O? It's about a B+ as well, and neither it nor this one will smell ' generic'
    I promise.

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I agree with the generic verdict. Thumbs down but let's not get too carried away. It's not as if Versailles came out as a re-formulated marine and smelled like Axe.
    All Bulgari did is screw up a B+ scent. One that was eminently wearable but hardly a work of genius.

JaimeB's avatar

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

Vaguely chypre-like (bergamot in the top, patchouli in the base, but no oakmoss anywhere), this is a pretty good scent. A warm spicy, slightly floral heart with a bit of Japanese influence (yuzu citrus in the head; bamboo and hibawood, a Japanese genus of cypress, in the backnote). The overall impression is: a rather floral start; segué into a fairly spicy heart; soften and round out the spice with deep woody notes for the drydown. The development is good, longevity somewhat above average, sillage very good for the first third to half of the course, then tapering off to more of a skin scent. In my personal universe, this doesn't rival Sud Est, my favorite Romeo Gigli œuvre; still, it proves to me that Gigli hasn't lost its touch!

P-Natra's avatar

Germany Germany

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I love this scent...it is clean and smooth...the barber soap smell is amazing...I love it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Lelong pour Femme by Lucien Lelong

The way I understand it, this 1999 version of Lucien Lelong pour Femme was re-worked from the 1950's original...which I have never smelled. Notes listed for this bold floral-oriental are:

mandarin, bergamot, magnolia, lilac, fig
    jasmine rose, tuberose, ylang ylang, iris
    variety of orchids
    sandalwood, vetiver, oakmoss, musk

Fully loaded with womanly glamour, this potion is powerful! I liken it's potency with that of Givenchy's Amarige or Dior's Poison. The orchid notes come across clearly, even though the rest of the bouquet is dominant. A bit "soapy" on my skin. I applaud this blend, but doubt if I would ever be excited to wear it.

sophywt's avatar

China China

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

This is the review for EDP version.

I love the mood Kingdom presents, gothic and dark in a powerful way. And I'm amazed that It developes so differently on different people(and on animals too!).

On me, the cumin note is very dirty, extremely animalic. It lasts so long and overwhelms the floral notes totally. I like this animalic feeling, very erotic, full of lust. and I understand why people say it has armpit smell or body odour. yes, sometimes. but it doesn't always smell like that. A friend tried the same EDP version another day, and it turns into a very beautiful froral notes on her. There is the cumin note as well, but much lighter and cleaner than on me. the floral notes are still with the dark feeling, very dense, but totally different.

I also find my cat is crazy for it! When I wear Kingdom, he will keep on licking my wrist. I've tried dozens of perfumes, everytime he just runs away, and this is the only one he likes!

I know Kingdom is on the one-star-trash-list in Mr.Turin's new book. Well, I'm afraid I couldn't agree with him this time, and nor my cat :P

FloatingPoint's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This one's a winner. I wasn't crazy about Dzongkha or even the fabled Timbuktu, but this fragrance has all the right moves. The blending is remarkably smooth, without any of the oddball notes that tend to dominate many of Duchaufour's other incense compositions. A slightly sweet floral incense that softly, yet confidently, announces its royal lineage.

I applied this today and for a long time couldn't stop thinking to myself how good I smelled, even without having to smell my wrist. That's pretty good sillage, if you ask me. Too bad it costs a fortune.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

It is a very nice and extraordinary aquatic. Do not be too demanding about wet cobblestones and clean Tshirt but it is really wet and refreshing and have a high quality apart from all these cheap ozonic detergent scents.

The top notes oranges (very natural orange juice aroma, has nothing artifical or neroli or bergamot like heaviness) very faint florals spiced up with tomato leaves. Tomato leaves here deserves extra appreciation and makes this fragrance a "must try" to have visions about creativity in perfume designing.

I agree the other reviewers about the non disturbing, clement way of the scent. This would be a plus in many instances but i would like to have it more bodied. The natural scent lovers which enjoy the fragrances that smell like air would smell naturally in a moment in time (not after a channel lady walked by, but rather after you have watered your cherry tomatos and dandrofills in the garden) would not miss that one.

distortech's avatar

Bijan Wicked for Men by Bijan

Add my voice to the chorus for this . . .

It does smell very similar to Chrome and CK One, but slightly better. I think the opening is a bit more "grassy green" than Chrome and a tad more complex the CK One. It is definitely one of those scents that varies alot depending on body temperature. The warmer it is, the better it smells - as it accentuates the mids and the Kashmir.

Notes are:

Top: Ozone, Citrus, Orange Blossom, Fresh Greens, and Pineapple

Middle : Jasmine, Nutmeg, Carnation, and Lily of the Valley.

Base : Kashmir, Sandalwood, Musk, and Blue Amber.

For what it is, this is not bad at all, but too much like any other ozone scent out there. If you would ask me if I would buy it again...I would have to say no - I would go for Nude instead.

lookingglass's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

This scent is so sexy, commanding, yet approachable. My favorite on DH, and luckily his, too! The top notes are a warm yet fresh and the creamy, woody drydown is musky but not cloying (like Musc Ravage can be...). It is pure, well bred class...without even trying. It instantly dresses up rock and roll t-shirts and jeans but insists you wear your finest Italian loafers with them. It feels just as comfortable in the boardroom, going out for sushi, or enjoying a romantic evening at home. Everyday, anytime of year...bring it on...

lookingglass's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

SirSlarty's avatar

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

Definitely much more masculine then unisex. Love the top notes of this. A punch of lime. The drydown reminds me a bit of Terre d'Hermes mixed with Narciso Rodriguez For Him. ck's bottles are always nice looking, too. The juice is even more neon green than the newer juice in Gucci Envy.

argus wishingwell's avatar

In Black by J del Pozo

as a man, i felt in love with the smooth deepness of that one. very sensual red grapes surround you during the dry down. whether it is a women fragrance or not, i am gonna wear it.

Tony T's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

green ain't my thing. no kiton no paul smith and a definate no to this one dimensional piec of junk. overpriced as well. this and royal waterare 2 i recommend on trying before buying.

Tony T's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

i agree with djolney. a gentlemen's cologne over 50. strikingly similiar to kouros. very animalistic spice that pumps the life out of every other note.minimal orange just rough and rugged spice. tony montana would wear this. a very macho scent not really to my liking.

22 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th October, 2009)

Chemical Bonding by Ineke

Foetidus' review is really all you need to know about this fragrance's smell.

I will add that I sampled at a store that did not indicate the gender of Chemical Bonding.... I assumed it was unisex, and even though it is classified otherwise I look forward to buying my own someday soon.

Ruban d'Orange by L'Occitane

Just tried this at the store (there is also a limited edition intense version).

Unfortunately the lovely blood orange top is somewhat fleeting, leading to a fairly standard vetiver base - which is nice, don't get me wrong, but not very citrusy.

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

An absolutely enchanting and rich fragrance.... incense and woods, smoky woods, amber, cardamom, and vanilla. Masculine without being an 80s-powerhouse type fragrance, this is a perfect balance of resinous and sweet.

This is also a very very high quality fragrance. I put two sprays on my hand at an airport L'Occitane before getting on a plane. Not only did I enjoy it for a two hour delay and five hour flight, but I could actually smell it on my hand the next morning - almost 18 hours later!

I will purchase this soon.

kess's avatar

Eau du Ciel by Annick Goutal

this is a somewhat strange scent -- the best I can describe it is a sweet herbaceous floral. Seems rather simple, "innocent" (i.e. unsophisticated). I feel like I'm 12 when I wear it. Thumbs down for me.

MFJ's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Another supposed modern classic, and a rather much-hyped about one, from a distinguished house, that has failed to capture my attention and admiration. A bergamot top, and a cedarwood, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver base??? One who has yet to test this, may be thinking: Powerhouse Chypre!

Well, it is not.

I would have given a neutral, but for a Chanel, I expect much more. When one's hopes has been built up based on positive hype, the let down can be rather annoying. Therefore, please take my rating with a grain of salt.

22 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 September, 2009)

MFJ's avatar

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

A creamier and toned-down version of Fahrenheit. I agree it is a pale comparison of the original, but I find this enjoyable nonetheless. The floral notes somewhat over shadow the herbal notes that was what the original is defined by. Still I find the soapiness very appealing.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

its alright not bad not good....to be honest i like it....ther is a reason it was a best seller....i know its overly rated..but what do u want from a colonge other than to smell good? dont listen to the crap they say about this..this is a very good colonge last long and smells nice..buy it if u can afford it.... its probly in the top 10 colonges that i have ever bought..anyway i give a thumbs up..

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

i used to like it..when i owned it..its not bad but not GREAT.last longer than many other colonges ..the reason i love it is becuase my dad used to waer it alot when i was young so i guess its more than just the smell for me..thats why i stopped wearing it ..

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Good colonge best use it for day...doesnt last that long on me..but lasted longer on my uncle i smelled it a few hours after we left home...still was on him ..i think about 5 hours mabe more but on mr it last max up 2 ....say 4 hours .anyway great fragrance..the intresting thing is women love it..and i found that out when i was buying it....6 girls bought this just before i did...and it was valentines day.anywayvery good smell...might last longer in coooler weather..and good for office. thats what i think or casual wear...but it finishes up very quikly cause its only 75 ml .worth buying

E-beth's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Sickenningly sweet. Fruity to my nose, with just the smallest hint of insect repellent.