Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

love@firstsniff's avatar
    love@firstsniff

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

i had this a few years ago liked it a lot after reading these reviews makes me wanna go get another bottle but be advised it's too stong in the summer time perfect fall winter spring smell

go get it

love@firstsniff's avatar
    love@firstsniff

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

this is a very good frag, came across it a few years ago didn't think much of it until i wore it one night in a club and this girl on the dance floor said she was aroused by the smell *seriously* I went back studied it and realized that the best part about it is the dry down ever since i swear by it

Adryen's avatar
    Adryen

Ambush (original) by Dana

I was lucky to be the youngest of 5 kids, 4 females! I had the chance to try on many perfumes (the good old ones) from the '50s and '60s. Ambush was also one of the ones my mom used occasionally. I liked the floral notes of this scent. There was a playfulness to the blend. I think I had a bottle in the '70s, but haven't used this in years. Always did enjoy wearing it, though!

Adryen's avatar
    Adryen

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

This is what I consider the perfect perfume.

Happy by Clinique

One of the few perfumes that actually smells like its name, I first came across Happy as a college student but rebelled against it during its prime. Everyone was wearing either this scent or Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers, and I hated the idea of adding to already pungent cloud of happiness that floated above our classroom every day.

Thankfully I gave this scent another try a year ago. A saleswoman managed to get me to browse as I was purchasing some Clinique makeup, and I was at once impressed and uplifted by the cheerful boquet of white florals that make up this perfume. On me there's barely a hint of peachy-citrus as most of the florals predominate in both the intial spritz and dry down period. Lovely everyday scent. I only wish it was longer lasting, as I have to refresh the scent twice or more throughout the day.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

When first sprayed on, I was surprised by the amount of sandlewood I intially smelled. This later immediately dried to an all too familiar citrus perfume that strangely enough reminds me of those cheap, imitation CK One scented christmas tree air freshners.

More masculine in design than I prefer.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Silly, I know...but I've always been fascinated with this scent since reading about it years ago. One of the characters in a book I was reading sprinkled her hairbrush with L'Heure Bleue before brushing her hair. That oh so feminine image of a beautiful woman pulling the scent of flowers through her hair followed me into adulthood, so I leaped at the chance to acquire a small bottle online. Alas, my dreams were dashed the instant this scent touched my skin.

L'Heure Bleue went came on strong with a cloud of musk, immediately followed by a light splattering of florals. This, while not ideal, was bearable...until a few minutes later when the acrid smell of singed crayons permeated the air. Maybe it's just my body chemistry, but this dream scent was anything but a fantasy. Nightmare, maybe.

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A mellow scent that doesn't really strike me as feminine. Feminite du Bois has a strong woodsy note that's only slightly tamed by an undercurrent of dusky fruit and spices. Another poster mentioned plums, which fits. I also pick up a spicy musk when I sprayed it on. Maybe nutmeg?

Not a personal favorite, but at least longevity isn't that good...for those of us who aren't fans.

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Strong, strong, strong! The longevity on this perfume is outrageous. I literally could still smell it on me the next day...and I didn't bathe in the stuff, just a squirt on my wrist. Other than its otherworldly strength and staying power, my lasting impression of this scent is that it's sweet enough to rot your teeth out.

Giant blooms of cotton candy, mixed with an undercurrent of butter cookie, and a dab of vanilla. I first came across this scent as a candle, which my students are crazy about. When I heard it was a perfume, I was tickled by the idea and assumed the scents would be slightly different...but oh was I wrong. I smelled practically edible for a good twelve hours. If you like sweet smells, then Pink Sugar should become your signature scent. I personally like sweets but in moderation. Too syrupy for my tastes. I only joke that I my life is a funhouse...I don't need it to actually smell like one too.

chatnoir's avatar
    chatnoir

Insolence by Guerlain

Sweet and sassy, Insolence smells a bit like grape candy to me (must be the raspberry I'm smelling). The drydown is warm and sweet, and it is surprisingly persistant on my skin for such a sweet scent. this is a daytime scent, and it says "happy" to me.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Jules by Christian Dior

One of Dior's great men's scents. Relatively unknown for a while, it dropped below the radar until Dior began to offer it more widely for sale again in the U. S. a couple of years ago. This is a woody, leather (and tobacco?) scent with some unusual green notes in the top. Florals in the heart are kept in low profile by the more assertive notes, but are definitely there and eventually revealed for what they are. The base is woody, mossy, leather, a touch of oriental, and the impression of tobacco. I suspect this is a scent made to please a man. Don't think it would appeal much to many women, though they might grudgingly tolerate on a man they really liked...

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Top: tea leaves, cumin, lemon, orange, rosemary, lavender
    Mid: rose, jasmine, hyacinth, geranium, cedar wood, sandalwood, patchouli
    Base: myrrh, tobacco leaves
    Sandalo e The is a complex, difficult-to-categorize scent… indeed an “odd duck.” I think part of the issue is how it reacts on male skin (judging from the reviews so far). On me, the particularly ‘male’ fragrance notes are accentuated (cumin, wood, and tobacco leaf). I wonder how this scent would be on a woman? The opening is very aromatic and quite interesting. The first time I tried this I got cumin, cumin, more cumin. That is the sweaty spice mentioned in the review below. The cumin circles around and reappears in every phase of this scent. Smoky lavender adds to the forceful entry. Then there is a woody middle phase. I got more cedar than sandalwood, and I enjoyed it. I didn’t get any florals the first time I tried it. The second time, my nose was accustomed to the barrage and I could detect nice floral notes, which are brief and frankly overwhelmed by the more powerful notes. In the base, myrrh is dominant. It is heady-sweet, perfumed and rich. The tobacco leaves are sweet, brown and tangy. The myrrh-tobacco chord grows and grows, and finally moves into a languidly sweet drydown. This is an interesting scent, but where’s the tea leaves and sandalwood? I like the aromatic, bold qualities, but in the end find it too sweet to suit me. But give it a try, it is different!

bsmith001's avatar
    bsmith001

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Very nice stuff....especially from the first whiff. .. however i found myself getting tired of it after a couple of wearings.. reminded me too much of a drugstore men's deoderant scent or something a high school guy might wear. .nothing wrong with that, but i tend to prefer the more classic/mature frags.

bsmith001's avatar
    bsmith001

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Good stuff although it smells like grasshoppers in green grass. It's not your average everyday scent..or special event scent .. somewhere in the middle perhaps. It does smell good, though.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

What can you say about perfection? Coco Mademoiselle!

Amarige by Givenchy

This is to me a modernized version of Fracas. I love tuberoses, not everybody does, but I do. For me Amarige is one of my top perfumes. Yes, it is very loud, but spray the right amount and you will be mesmerized. I feel like I am in some magickal garden built by a Sultan for his lovely bride ( Semiramide's gardens perhaps). It is night and the crescent moon is rising over the faraway city and mosques. The spirit of the Sultan's bride is walking through the scented garden, tuberoses, jasmine and orange trees.So exotic, so enticing and mysterious.

Organza by Givenchy

Organza is the fragrance that my husband loves. This is the one he would always buy for me and ask me to wear. I also love it, so unique, so romantic and so joyous in the same time. If Amarige is Mariage, then Organza is the honeymoon. The flower and the wood, so nicely combined: honeysuckle and sandalwood. Absolute success from my point of view!

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

A louder version of Organza, not bad, however, I prefer the original. Of course, this is just me.

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Have you ever had Proseco sparkling wine with rose petals in it? Me neither ( mental note - try this!) however, this is how I can describe this perfume. One of the best rose fragrances I have tried so far. Nothing heavy, just light, flowing in the wind rose petals. This is one of my top choices perfumes.

Cabotine by Grès

I made the mistake and smelled it from the bottle and on other people - I absolutely adored it and wanted it for myself. Unfortunately it completely clashes with my chemistry. Too bad! I still have the bottle and spray it sometimes on my pillow. It is so green and fresh. Wish I could wear it.

Rush by Gucci

I love this fragrance. It is loud, strong, luxurious, in your face and altogether gorgeous. I think it represents perfectly Gucci's house. So explosive floral and woody. I know a lot of people hate the bottle. it is supposed to represent a videotape. And, actually, I think the color red suits this fragrance perfectly.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I am a fan of Guerlain perfumes. This being said, I am not a fan of Champs-Elysees. Although it starts beautifully, it does have in the end one ingredient that keeps bothering me. It feels like it is there all the time and I cannot get rid of it. It may work on somebody with a different body chemistry than mine.

Pi by Givenchy

I am on the I love Pi side. As a woman, I see a man wearing this fragrance as a caring, sweet and loving individual (given the light sweetness of the fragrance), although always true to his manly nature ( and here comes the woody part of it). I do not find it so over the top sweet as many have complained here, but, I guess, you have to have a sweet tooth ( which I do) in order to be a fan.

Xeryus by Givenchy

Another men fragrance that I love from Givenchy. The young rebel man that wore this in the 80's is now about 40ish and he looks sexy, elegant, powerful and refined. The fragrance evolved with him.

Mediterráneo by Antonio Banderas

Pleasant scent, light and casual - nothing special. I give it an Eh!

Hei by Alfred Sung

Sorry, I am not a fan of this one, to the point that I asked my husband to get rid of this bottle. He tried to keep it at work and I would still smell it on him if he wore it. He had to let it go. For me, it had a cheap, plastic scent.

Envy Me by Gucci

very nice floral gourmand - I got it as a present, although, I would have not purchased it myself (I found it too happy for my taste - I prefer oriental florals). I would still give it thumbs up, because, although does not suit me, I can smell the quality it.

Caline by Grès

Very pleasant and pretty floral, although I did not find it spectacular.I need spectacular!

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

I am surprised that others could not identify the peony, because, to me, this is exactly it! Gorgeous summer peony in bloom smell I also layer it, like Hanna, with other fragrances.

Organza Harvest 2005 by Givenchy

My husband bought this for me in Paris, after a nice dinner and an evening stroll on Champs Elysee, we stopped at Sephora and he grabbed it ( as Organza is his fave fragrance for me). This perfume will always evoke to me that summer evening. The fragrance it is a jasmine infused allegory of Organza. Gorgeous jasmine, unfortunately it was released as limited editions and therefore, impossible to find anymore.