Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

centerpin's avatar
    centerpin
    Germany Germany

Ébène by Pierre Balmain

To review a perfume which has been already discontinued is like speaking at a funeral.
    But Ebene de Balmain deserves it. Ebene is a very unconventional scent-once you have smelled it you will never forget it. I was 14 years old and it was my 2nd eau de toilette(after Tabac) which I owned. I loved it even then, but it was way to strong for a little boy. It smells like very, very expensive, luxurious soap. Waves of patchouly and geranium mixed with the freshnes of mint leaves plus an additional leather note enter your nose-everything very strong and dominat, not an easy scent- pleasant,but also easy to overdose.
    It is a all around year scent, perhaps easier to digest in winter. Ebene is in the same category like the Givenchy Gentleman, just a great, exceptional, complex composition-nothing for the masses.

multitasker's avatar
    multitasker

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I sniffed the test strip wet and immediately sprayed my neck and wrists. Wow--delish! This is woods, amber, creamy, lovely! It is subtle. There is nothing offensive or surprising here. This is a nice scent--but nice done very well. This is a year round, round the clock--I slathered myself in 90 degree weather--my coworkers liked it (ok, I'm the boss), but my husband liked it too. I'm not an expert, but I cannot think of many very popular mainstream scents this heavy on the woods--except HDuff w/Love, which is sweeter (fruitier) than this (and I think underrated). I love wood notes, but even checking my subjectivity, I think this will be a mainstream hit.

Worth1969's avatar
    Worth1969

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

Boring and unoriginal. Smells like a watered down version of Del Mar, which is also put out by Boss/Baldessarini. This fragrance is generic and obviously produced for the masses who are looking for something that won't offend at the office. As a man who appreciates a fine cologne, I find this scent to be utterly boring and the epitome of mediocrity. If you want a real fragrance check out Chanel Egoiste Platinum, don't waste your money on this.

ludwigslady's avatar
    ludwigslady

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

There is only one true master of sillage - she is a mistress - Mother Nature herself. When you pass by an aged orange tree in full bloom, brush against scented geraniums as you weed your garden or open a window surrounded by honeysuckle flowers. Those are the memories I carry as I hunt for fragrances...the way the air carries a scent to you.

Yerbamate is the closest to Mother Nature's sillage I have found from a bottle. It has that quality of earth, sun, grass, herb, flower, smoke and sugar wafting on air. How does Villoresi do it?

On my skin, it stars with moderate hay, lavendar and green notes. The citrus is light and momentary. A slight, clean smoke emerges and swirls in with the herbs for awhile. My drydown isn't powdery as described, but it is herbal with a hint of burnt sugar, like you would have on the top of a creme brulee.

I love this fragrance. Mother Nature in a beautiful green elixir.

silverbullet's avatar
    silverbullet

Amandes Orientales by Montale

I need to give this another go, smells like Elmer's glue to me. Or that Ross Mucilage brownish colored syrup paste we used in old school.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

Love the top notes but everything else fades away into oblivion. I feel like I'm wearing the scent equivalent of a date who doesn't call you the next morning or ever again.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Just like Ferré for Him, this comes off as lipstick to me. I'm not very fond of that smell. Definitely not a fan of iris. Smelling past the iris I detect a nice lavender and leather but the iris turns me away. Sorry, gentlemen, I don't want to smell like my mother's purse.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

This doesn't smell like Silver Mountain Water to me at all. More like a mix of Erolfa and Zeste Mandarine Pampelmousse. Unfortunately, it ends just like ZMP; within an hour... poof gone.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Oh boy another grapefruit scent that doesn't last very long. Nothing but musk. Boring!

zaklin's avatar
    zaklin

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Ye Gods! What was the matter with me back then? I used to love this in the mid-eighties. I re-sampled it recently. Just as I remember it, but no, no, no! Perhaps if the silage was racked back a little...

03 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2008)

Goldmund by Dorissima

This is sooooo good. I ordered a sample from luckyscent and wore it for the first time yesterday. (Aside--it was probably NOT the best place to test scents, especially this sensual stunner--I was at a local water park with my kids and of course, I brought a box of "To Test" samples with me! I'd put 3 or 4 on my arms, let everyone sniff me, go on some rides with the kiddies which would wash off the scent-what with all the chemicals in the water-and voila! back to test more!) Three (adult) people sniffed me and went nuts! Smoky, sweet, elegant and sensual. Notes of sandalwood, vanilla, musk, rose, spice--sounds a little boring but so not! The lasting power is great (now that I've tested under non-water park conditions) and there is a lovely sillage; subtle and persistent. FBW, though probably more appropriate for Fall/Winter.

UNTITLED #1 by Yosh Han by UNTITLED

I have a title for untitled no. 1: "Thai Peanut Sauce". I've tried it twice. Both times I detected peanuts and not much else (kind of like an "ear worm" a song that you can't get out of your brain? This one was a "peanut butter nose worm". Okay, that sounds totally disgusting--too much time with my 10 y/o boys. You get the picture!)
    I'll try it again, after a break from it, and edit my review if it improves. Please, someone out there, rescue this spendey Yosh Han creation from peanut butter purgatory!! Help me see the light!

Sake by Fresh

One of my favorite Fresh scents. AND one of my favorite "fresh" scents!. Sake is sparkling, boozy, a little sweet, light hearted and celebratory. There's quite a bit of fruit in the opening and heart and I definitely get grapefruit right away, as well as a hint of berry. Best of all, there is a champagne thread that makes this scent stand out. No kidding, Sake smells "bubbly!" Just great. I'm, a noob, so this may not mean too much, but I haven't smelled anything like it. Yet

Hoos's avatar
    Hoos

H.M. by Hanae Mori

The vanilla is what hits me first in this. And it's too heavy, too much, too long.

A rinse off of cold water (no soap) toned down the vanilla considerably. The scent then really bloomed into a very sparkling scent that I enjoyed. That was tempered with a light note of cocoa - without being dusty. Once the vanilla is killed off, HM is really very nice.

HM has sillage, projection, and staying power. This would be a good formal evening scent. Start with a light application.

argus wishingwell's avatar
    argus wishingwell

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

very mossy and very green, refreshing and balanced cologne. fine for the hot summer days, it really cools your skin like a fresh after shave but it's still complicated as a top quality cologne. don't underestimate this fragrance... i bought it's 100 ml edt for 18-19 usd just for testing, blindly... now it pleases me every day. sillage is adequate for a fresh fragrance and longevity is so so... finally, it would be a nice purchase, i recommend to those who like fresh ones.

valentinamaltese's avatar
    valentinamaltese

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

My worst perfume mistake. It smelled good on the mouillette, but after a few hours on my skin it revealed a cheap, unpleasanty sweet and obviously chemical dry down. The price is low, at least in Italy, but it's not worth it. If you have 20 euros and are visiting Italy, buy a bottle of good Chianti.

03 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2008)

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

Quercus by Penhaligon's

I really wanted to like Quercus more than I did. I am a sucker for traditional, luxury items of quality and adore the classically stylish Penhaligon's bottles. My favorite genre of perfume is probably citrus.

But, Quercus, was just ho hum. It was a thin citrus fragrance with musky notes, none of which had much depth or complexity. It seemed watery and weak, and needless to say it did not last long on my skin. Smell-wise, Quercus reminded me a lot of CKOne and who wants to remember that?

I think the biggest obstacle Quercus faces is strong competition from fellow colognes. Its own sister Blenheim Bouquet is a wonderfully sunny floral chypre that leaves Quercus in the shade and raises the question as to why Penhaligon's feels the need to carry both fragrances. Also easily outclassing Quercus are Parfums de Nicolai's Balle de Match, Chanel Eau de Cologne, Eau de Rochas and Bulgari's The Vert Extreme.

Here are the notes from Penhaligon's website: Top- Cardamom, Galbanum, Lime, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin; Middle- Jasmine, Muguet; Base- Sandalwood, Treemoss, Musk.

nadroj's avatar
    nadroj

Bowling Green by Geoffrey Beene

This is my absolute favorite! I was so sad when I found out it was discontinued. From the opening blast of citrus/juniper/grass to the more subdued but still vibrant drydown, I love it. I am still able to find a few bottles here and there at perfumania and places like that, so I still have enough to last me quite awhile, but I do miss the soap, aftershave, etc.

I still can't find anything to replace it!

nadroj's avatar
    nadroj

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This is my new favorite. I really don't get the "lemon pledge", "too sweet" reviews. I don't detect any overly citrus or sweet notes. To my nose, the cedar, spice and musk are the stronger notes, with the florals second and only a slight citrus. I realize I'm probably in the minority on this.

To me, this is a really elegant cologne, very classic smelling and not at all overpowering. It has excellent longevity and I never fail to get a compliment when I wear it.

jagmartini's avatar
    jagmartini

Pi by Givenchy

Pi...or pie? So sweet, so vanillaish, so almondish. Wasn't sure I liked it at first but kept going back to it so I finally got a small bottle (after saying I wouldn't). Oddly enough I can smell a touch of lemon when I first apply this one but it clears out quickly.

03 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2008)

jagmartini's avatar
    jagmartini

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Oh Antidote...how I want to love you, but your muskiness makes it impossible. The top notes and middle notes were a piece of heaven, but a mere 6 hours later all I can smell is that horrible white musk that (imo) has ruined so many fragrances for me. Thankfully, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a mini of you and will keep you around for bragging rights.

Gerco's avatar
    Gerco

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Today i'm wearing Michael for the first time......i recognize a lot of the positive reviews here about this scent. This could become one of my favorite scents of all time.

yep, it's great, another 9/10

03 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2008)

dreamflower's avatar
    dreamflower
    Finland Finland

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Ayala: "(if indeed I smelled something like it that was when I was a little girl, and I have no way to track it at the moment besides, perhaps, relying on your suggestions and guesses – and these are more than welcome!)"

For me, this scent reminded me in its top note exactly like the bright, strong, staining festivalcolors that little children uses to color their hair at a workingclassparty at first of april. Maybe they use same colors at halloween on America etc.?

gwenyth's avatar
    gwenyth
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Sun by Jil Sander

OK, it's Halloween. You you get home with the goody bag, You open it and smell the multiple varieties of sweets mixed together in your nose. You reach in the bag and sift through all your sweeties and there it is....WAX LIPS! Remember them? they were either the classic lips or the vampire mouth...SUN smells like wax lips! The first time i smelled SUN something really irritated me about it, i knew that smell and couldn't place it for over a year. I cant remember how I made the association but since then i cannot wear this scent. LOVED wax lips, i even liked SUN but after making that association it kind of ruined it for me...Come Halloween, go check it yourself...

gwenyth's avatar
    gwenyth
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

Kinda young kinda wow, CHARLIE...there's a Fragrance it's hear to stay and the called it, CHARLIEEEEE!!!
    I actually remember that jingle and have practically no recollection of the scent itself. I just remember that all the girls in school I loathed wore it and that was about 80% of em'...

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A buddy of mine, a local night club owner, was telling me about A*men... he mentioned that he ran into a friend of his a few days prior to our conversation and she was telling him about how difficult it was to leave her boyfriend for the simple reason that she couldn't get over how amazing he smelled--he wore A*men. My buddy mentioned to me that he had a few other conversations over the years which revolved around the A*men awesome smell and that I might just have a little shred of hope with the ladies if I would just try it out.

Within minutes of receiving his email, and reading the reviews here on Basenotes, I was in Macy's to see what all of the hype was about... I was sold at first smell. It was simply amazing how so many different notes were present, some awful, like burnt tar, but as bad as the burnt tar is, it actually smells good when mixed with the other scents. After it had a minute to settle down, it was a really nice smell, as if I had just shaved and then the chocolate and vanilla came out to play for a while. Well, I'm not too fond of Vanilla... I think it was my highschool days of smelling Vanilla Fields on all of the young girls that gave Vanilla a bad name, but this Vanilla is different, it's really difficult for me to put into words, but I really don't mind it when mixed with all of the other notes.

I wasn't sure which bottle was the A*men, and the lady behind the counter didn't have a clue, so I ended up with what I now know to be A*men and B*men, which complements A*men nicely and I now mix the two.

The reactions from the ladies? Well, I've only worn it out on the town once, but I have worn it during my 9 to 5 and have noticed a difference in the amount of people willing to strike up a conversation with me, many more! In fact, I've met more people in the last two weeks than I have the entire year! People tend to move closer in to me and want to stick around for a while... I don't know, maybe it's a coincidence, but further studies will be held, rest assured. Oh, and that night I went to the club and wore A*men? I don't think I wore enough of it... I had been experimenting with how much to apply the few days leading up to the club night, but I don't think I had it right. Never-the-less, I did meet a lovely lady and we talked for hours.

I totally recommend this cologne... I can't wait to see what other shenanigans it gets me into, it should be fun!

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

WOW! I purchased this on the reviews alone, and man, I am amazed and glad that I did! It has a very fresh scent, with a slight citrus note. I think one of the reviews said that it smelled like tweed, it does! Mix freshly laundered petticoats with a freshly shaven man who has just come in from the rain, that's Green Irish Tweed. It also has a very classy smell as well.

I continue to smell my arm just because it's one of those smells that not only commands attention, but it's one that I would like to cuddle up with on a warm summer day. This fragrance turns heads, and is a keeper for me.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is the sexiest scent a man can wear... these were the words of the sales lady at Macy's. I'm not sure if she was talking about the bottle, or the scent, regardless though, it is awesome! It is very light to the nose, so you can spray it, it sticks around, but it doesn't make me sneeze.

The way it lingers and welcomes people into the room is really nice... A man at my work was wearing it one day--I was not--and I walked into the room and just wanted to get closer to him to smell him. It's that good.

I've had all positive feedback on this scent... a good friend of mine was with me out on the town one evening and asked what I was wearing... after I told her she said, "It's making me weak in the knees, I can't stop smelling you [with her nose pinned to my neck]"

Get this. My mom purchased this for me after her knowing a man who wore it religiously. I thought, "well, if my mom is suggesting it then I should go the opposite direction", but that's where I was wrong... this stuff is amazing and I will always have a bottle of it close by.

cedriceccentric's avatar
    cedriceccentric
    Belgium Belgium

Roadster by Cartier

The scent reminds me of a discountinued Crabtree & Evelyn fragrance called Meridien which was launched under their Scarbourgh (spelling?) brand and also of L'Instant pour Homme. Fresh/minty start, rich/warm spicy/woody base (opposed to the "cold" spicies of Déclaration); with some sweetness in between it all. More of a fall scent IMHO. Roadster smells expensive and grown up. Good lasting power.
    The bottle design, if somewhat "nouveau riche" is pure luxury. Very, very heavy glass. Cartier will need to introduce a travel model if Roadster is a hit, I mean it's so heavy it could be used as a weapon. The cap screws up perfectly.
    The year isn't over but I predict that Roadster probably will be my favorite meanstream release of 2008.

04 July, 2008

GentlemanFarmer's avatar
    GentlemanFarmer
    Switzerland Switzerland

Citron Citron by Miller Harris

Extreamely similar to the Eau d´Hadrien, a bit disapointed for that fact. But an overall a good citrus fragance for hot days, nothing goes wrong here.

04 July, 2008