Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

provcoll's avatar

Sonia Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

I recently found this perfume at Loehmann's at bargain price. Unfortunately it is so overpowering it almost caused an allergic reaction on me. I guess I am not a fan of oreintal perfumes. I will give it another try by spritzing it in the air and 'entering' the cloud formed

Maximiliani's avatar

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I've been looking for a first cologne for myself, and since I've always loved my dad's Guerlain Vetiver, I browsed all that Guerlain has to offer. Being ever curious and a terrible romantic, I saw that this one was practically unisex so I ordered a small sample vintage edt of this to just smell. I was totally surprised when I first opened the little bottle, the opening is very very "Guerlain" I guess, I don't know any other way to put it. I could just tell that it was a Guerlain. There must be some notes in there that they later reused in Vetiver or something. That sharp opening. Very odd and with that in mind I totally agree with ponderous's review, it DOES smell like a cologne when you open the tube (or I guess normally, first spray) but then flow into something feminine once on the skin. The last part of the fragrance, I guess that typical Guerlain vanilla is very nice, it does smell like "skin" but not in a sweaty way.

Being only eighteen I'm not terribly sure, as a guy, I could pull this off despite it's possible unisex tendencies. I need some outside opinions from the family. I caution other men though, you gotta smell it and try it on your skin. Application I think, needs to be light, otherwise the oakmoss and powder can be overly sweet and be perceived as "old". Despite a possible miss for my own wearing, I can't deny, however that this is a beautiful scent. I would be drawn to a girl my age wearing this, for sure.

Maximiliani's avatar

Chocolate Chip by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is actually quite realistic, I was entirely surprised. You can smell the chocolate and the butter and I guess the brown sugar batter too. Well done. My mother keeps pushing me to find a fragrance that smells like chocolate chip cookies, on the assumption that people would love it like they did in that movie with that angel or something.

My only gripe is that the cocoa is a tad sweet and reminds me of a fake chocolate factory ride at Hershey Park, and thus leans it closer to being a feminine fragrance for me, though, guys should try it and see how the girls react.

Hoos's avatar

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

Last night I sampled Lorenzo Villoresi's Dilmun. And I have a story. Pour yourself a nice little beverage, maybe a small plate of shortbread, pull up a chair by the hearth, and I'll tell you my tale of Dilmun:

It all starts as a lovely trip for Mom, Dad, Dexter, and Penny. Yes, they're taking a car trip on a beautiful morning that has a hint of orange blossom in the air.

Less than an hour out of town, Dexter exclaims, "Dad! Look! A cake factory! Can we stop? Pleeeeezzzzzeeeee?"

Now Penny loves cake and thinks the idea of touring a cake factory would be wonderful and they might even get samples! So, Penny chimes in "Come on Mom! That would be fun! Let's go!"

Mom and Dad benevolently smile knowingly at each other and Dad chucks little Dexter under the chin and says, "Sure, son. Let's tour the cake factory."

As they wend up the road leading to the Dilmun Cake Factory, a road lined with beautiful orange trees in blossom, a faint chemical smell reaches out to their nostrils. Nearly too faint too notice. Mom, ever vigilant over her family, says "Hmmm. Do you smell that honey? I'm kind of concerned."

Dad, tapping out his pipe and chortling ever so gently, says, "Honey, you worry too much. That's probably nothing."

So, Mom, Dad, Dexter, and Penny trundle up to the DCF and ask for a tour. The plant manager, Mr. Glower, looks at them with a bit of surprise. "Um," Mr. Glower emphatically states, "we usually don't give tours here."

Dexter pipes up, "But it's a cake factory! How can you not give tours?"

Mr. Glower looks our loving family up and down, debates a moment, and says, "Well, if you like, come on in."

Imagine our lovely family's surprise to be greeted by aisle upon aisle of shelves packed ceiling to floor with cakes! And not just any old cake, either!

Urinal cakes! On a hot day in a huge storage room with no venting.

Yes, our little family quickly went from a pleasant day scented by a breeze tinged with orange blossom to standing inside a hot, airless room filled with nothing but urinal cakes. Cakes whose power of scentification seemed to grow by magnitudes of 10 as each second ticked by.

The family fled with noses held and feet a-flying. But they could not escape the smell. They dived for the car. Dad sped (Dad never drove like that before!) all the way home.

They took three showers and still they smelled of urinal cakes. Mom thought a nice alcohol bath might help. Alas, Mom was wrong. Dad, thinking through the horrid predicament as only a Dad could, said "Clorox Wipes! That'll do it!" Alas, Dad was wrong too. Even subsequent showers with a nice bar of Lava Soap did nothing for the clingy-sweet stink of the Dilmun Cake Factory.

Much like the emanations from a frightened skunk, the scent from the Dilmun Cake Factory was not to be trifled with. It was an event to be lived through. Even, if you will, suffer through.

So, gentle reader, the next spring morning that you step from your house, notice a lovely scent of orange blossom, and think it would be a wonderful day for a family outing. Just remember: it would be, but it would be nicer if you avoided the Dilmun Cake Factory tour.

This conflagration of fragrance is officially worse than Michael for Men simply because of its unholy tenacity. It gets no stars and a thumbs down.

bbBD's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Quite simply my favorite fragrance.... I can see why some people can't rap their heads around this; it's not your standard male fragrance. Though a quick, cursory sniff may allude to lipstick, a close analysis (repeat as needed!) presents SO much more. Reading other reviews, I wonder how many of those who think this only smells like lipstick did more than smell a sprayed-card at the mall.

Dior Homme is at once sweet and gourmand while also being distinctly masculine. In fact I think we can credit DH for showing us all that masculine doesn't have to mean strong vetiver or herbal notes. The notes easiest to identify are iris, vanilla, and cocoa, all of which fade in and out. The genius of DH is in the fragrance's depth. If all we smelled was iris, vanilla, and cocoa this would be nothing but gourmand. Repeated application leads one to realize that the background of leather, vetiver and patchouli balance the sweetness. On my skin leather becomes more pronounced over time.

TWO thumbs waaaay up.

bbBD's avatar

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

This is finally on BN after being available for a few months! Unique entry here - smooth, musky, and minty - I believe they call it a 'mint julep accord', with undertones of citrus and spice. The citrus is not immediately evident, but rather serves to balance the other notes while providing depth. There isn't much development, but the mint does fade and the scent becomes more musky. A little expensive, but there is a .25oz spray mini available that works as a great way to test this out. Sillage is average, longevity is very good on my skin.

monikalawnicka's avatar

Poland Poland

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

spicy and intriguing.
    not an everyday scent, but to wear on special occasions.

Larry D's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I'm really not sure what to think of this. I have never been so repulsed as when I first sprayed this on my wrist. I literally almost threw up. As I was walking through the mall, I told my girlfriend that I thought I was about to get sick. Then, the drydown was surprisingly pleasant and fresh. I wasn't crazy about the scent. However, I got the first complement I've ever gotten for a fragrance that very same night in the mall. This woman at a store just told me I smelled good, which shocked me. I gets a thumbs down from me and a thumbs up from women, so it equalizes to a nice neutral

DenS's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

What About Adam by Joop!

This scent is quite versatile, you can wear it on a sunny summer day as well as in cold weather; regardless if you are in the office or out for weekend. There's one word that would describe it best- it's GREEN-FRESH. Not blue-fresh as tooth paste or shaving foam are, but more like young green grass in the country fields or fresh-cut green tomatoes. It lasts quite long but don't spray too much 'cause it will become overwhelmingly cloying and may cause headaches.

Katherine's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

This perfume reminds me of a tarty girl at High School. It's 'over ripe' and cheap like she was!

Katherine's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Clean Perfume by Clean

I loved the concept of this perfume house and after smelling CLEAN bought a bottle immediately. It doesn't translate that well on me though and I must admit that although I like the powdery notes I am not a big fan. I feel that I smell of laundry detergent! I might buy the linen or room spray derivatives I won't wear the perfume again.

lilirose's avatar

Nina (original) by Nina Ricci

I so miss this fragrance. It was and is my most favorite of all time. I remember it to by very feminine, pretty, classy and a bit sultry. There was a really nice base to the fragrance that was so sexy. Lovely even when it rubbed off onto your clothing. Terrible shame, they discontinued this fragrance.

lilirose's avatar

True Glow by Avon

This is great! True Glow has a wonderful citrusy scent that is not at all sweet. I detect grapefruit. It also dries down with a nice warm sexy feeling to it. I might even classify this as a bit masculine - it surely isn't run of the mill. Like it!

kelly griffen's avatar

Australia-Aboriginal Australia-Aboriginal

Women Of Earth by Avon

was my favorite day time scent for spring and summer, it's discontinuation resulted in Avon losing business from me

Purely_Nebulous's avatar

Index Orange Chocolate by Fresh

I've only had the pleasure of using the FRESH Chocolate Orange Shea Butter (jar) at this point, but it is perfect. It's 100% chocolate and orange just like a See's candy, without the notes that sometimes interfere with or overpower the chocolate -- there's no musk, no sandalwood, no jasmine, no lemon, no amber. Just delicious chocolate and orange. The texture is extremely thick and lush, almost waxy, but of course extremely moisturizing. Funtions virtually as a perfume solid.

violetblack's avatar

Very Sexy for Her by Victoria's Secret

Just revisited this girl and I must say I was perhaps not fair in my assessment of her charms. One thing I love about her is that she's not an overwhelming floral or froot concoction, not sweet syrupy or nauseating. I mistakenly thought that was the extent of her charms, though she's the only frag my husband and bratty coworker have complimented me on. She stays close to my skin, but positively blooms and radiates with what smells to me like heat personified. If a sultry summer evening had a scent, this would be it. This scent does not shout or try too hard, it isn't vapid and shallow. It just embraces warmth, femininity, and sensual seduction simply and very well, for the woman at home in her body and with a modern, glamourous edge. I was shocked to discover this at VS, it is surely their best scent.

29 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 August, 2008)

violetblack's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I tried this on a whim at Sephora and left the store so I could experience it while shopping. As it was on my left wrist, I was checking it periodically, and was quite obsessed with its development. I have never had this sort of intriguing experience with a frag, even when I smelled something distinctly vetiver (abhorrent), I couldn't resist it. Will try this one again.

CoL's avatar

Quiksilver by Quiksilver

Now this one is a surprise! Kinda minty fresh on the top with a sandlalwood finish. Very nice indeed. No, its not a niche scent so don't expect "niche quality" (doubtful with some so called niche houses) but a great scent for the day, playing sports and the likes. Nice! Me likes!

29 July, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 April, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Shaal Nur by Etro

Citrus-herbal with woody oriental notes of depth and character. Etro has done a very good job on this one. The base notes really work well together, and are responsible for giving this a slightly smoky, mysterious vibe. I think this could work as a daytime scent in cool weather, and as an elegant fragrance for evening dates, especially ones where one wishes to project an air of urbane savoir-faire and coax one's companion to explore an enticing invitation to get to know each other better. The heart note contains karo-karoundé, an "exotic and carnal flower" (osmoz.com) from Africa that figures in a few other scents and lends a real air of mystery, beauty, and sensuality. The incense, opopanax, cedar, patchouli, labdanum, and amber in the base also contribute to making this deliciously deep and rich. Too bad Etro is getting harder to find...

zztopp's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

top notes:
    Lavender, Anise, Fennel, Basil
    heart notes:
    Patchouli, Cardamom, Vetiver, Sandal
    base note:
    Amber, Oakmoss, Musk, leather

A superb aromatic fougeres, Azzaro pour homme (APH) is probably the best of its kind. Yes, it has that characteristic aromatic lavender mossy accord found in almost every fougere launched since Ron Jeremy posed in playgirl, but what lifts it into the pole position of this genre is an interesting twist involving hippie juice and what vomit.

APH opens with a typical lavender burst, but it's brushed with uplifting herbal/sweet notes of anise and fennel (smells like a more herbal anise) which thankfully prevent APH from descending into the uber forceful loud hairy chest juice types. A little dusting of smooth cardamom heats up the act before you start wondering what can APH can do to distinguish itself from the hordes of fougere liquids out in the market. Infact I am surprised that so far very few reviews have mentioned these key distinguishing ingredients in APH....ambergris and patchouli. 20 minutes after application the patchouli note lends an earthy aroma to the accord, while a vomity smelling ambergris note provides further intrigue and character to APH. The result is an aromatic fougere of an (arguably) more complexity and concrete design than other similar quality fragrances like Paco rabanne pour homme.

APH is a top tier aromatic earthy ambery fougere with excellent longevity. I don't agree that its "dated" unless ofcourse you are 35 years old and have memories of your uncle holding you unusually close to his chest when you were young and your parents were out. The ingredients are top notch - infact, I hear that amidst the messy synth bombs like Visit, Onyx and other chemical hazards, Azzaro have been forced to maintain the quality of ingredients in APH upon the order of the great don of the italian mafia who wears APH while partying with his various mistresses or extorting local business owners for "rent" ..

Rating: 8.75/10.00

tvlampboy's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Damn good buy for the whopping $12.00 I paid at Gordman's! Citrusy opening that soon dries into a spicy set of green notes with just a hint of fruit. Great longevity, and excellent sillage as well.

Glad I picked this one up!

atarilynx's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I recently saw this at Nordie's while sampling other fragrances. I wanted a fragrance that was aquatic and citrusy, but not "powdery". I wanted something like Acqua di Gio, but more manly. To my surprise, Versace pour Homme fit the bill perfectly.

It does smell very similar to AdG...in fact a female at my office first thought it was AdG. However, VpH is a more "mature"
    take on AdG. Where AdG is for men under 25, AdG is for men under 40. The Cedar, Amber, and Musk give it a nice manly scent without being overpowering.

I rarely make an impulse cologne purchase, but this one is worth it. I wore AdG throughout 1997, and liked it. If you have been wearing AdG for the last 5 years, chances are you may not enjoy Versace pour Homme. If you have shied away from Acqua di Gio and its many smell alikes for the past 10 years like I have, then you will probably enjoy this scent. It was worth the full price I paid for it.

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

What About Adam by Joop!

Great citrus fragrance! It's kinda funny, but the official Joop! website does not list it anymore, and it became really hard to find it nowadays.
    The beginning is an explosion of grapefruit, evolving to something more comfortable... Great staying power, as well as its sillage. Highly recommended to those looking for a good green scent.

Célèbre by Avon

Avon's description of Celebre: "Comes with vibrant notes of white peach, waterfruits, jasmine and magnolia finished with a hint of woody scents and precious amber."
    Two of my office friens like and use it. It is nice in very common sense. Peaches and jasmine is a combination of an summer verenda. Who does not like to eat peaches laziliy in a summer verenda? It is also a catchy fragrance. Being catchy is good for a fragrance to make it popular but as it happens in music; being catchy is not good for becoming a classic. Every one likes simple tunes that they can play whistling but they can become boring easily. So it happens to celebre.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

My nose plays games on me in this scent. I really do not get most of the notes. Ralph opens sweet fruity; mostly watermelony to my nose. It is very cheerfull. (does italian mandalins are some breed between watermelons and mandarins?) I can swear that it has no magnolia or linden flowers in it. These two are realitively heavier florals. Ralph is so light and airy. Can you think and orris magnolia musk scent to be young? I got none from it. Sweet summer fruits and white flowers. I got bored of it before the 1 oz bottle came to end but i have bought one for a friend of mine recently. She wears it hapiliy and i got smell from her often. I think same every time; it is young cheerful nice but boring.

Treselle by Avon

Treselle is a flower scent that even people who do not like flower scents apreciate. It does not resemble to any popular florals i know. It is a bit extraordinary without any lily, peony and freesia. Flowery note is mainly on jonquil or daffodil like flower ( should be White Tuberanthia Flower) and lotus which gives the scent modest and nice character. It is not the best quality but have medium longelivity and it is understandable for me as in my country its price is one forth or fifth of estee lauders.

Rare Pearls by Avon

I know three ladies in my place using it continously. It is a bright magnolia rosewood scent with some cheery sweet notes. It reminds me one of my mother's friends. She was a chic lady with properly done hair all the time. This scent must have a 35 years elder twin but i do not know the name. though i find it nice, this is also a catchy scent that can become boring quickly.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

The openning is very enticing; it drove me crazy. i had to name it was like vetiver and basil and mint and lavander and sweet and sour but none. Was like some iced tea but none of these would be so seducing for me. When the grapefruit note rose and the herbal one began to diminish i got some peace. When i come back to my computer i looked up it and yes the secret is the green mango. What else would be so green and seducing? i put all my thumbs up for a green frag for the first time. (because of the one green in it which would not stay green all its life). any way best green ever for me.

jathanas's avatar

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

I get passion fruit. The dry-down is pleasant, not as fruity but still sweet. A scent for the 20-30 year olds. Pleasant enough but it won't be remembered as a classic.

VintageZip's avatar

Germany Germany

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

I bought F32 at an airport in London this March, looking for a fresh but not aquatic summer scent.
    As it is 32 Degrees today (thats Celsius ;) ) in Germany, I find it fitting to give it a brief review.
    While I love the original Fahrenheit, I must say that I like F32 although it has nothing in common with it.
    The opening is fresh and sweet but not too feminin given a hint of citrus. The fresh feeling stays on your skin until about 45 minutes. After the drydown it gets a bit sweeter, loosing the freshness.
    I also noticed a somewhat artificial smell lurking around the corner after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. It smells a bit like freshly washed clothes.
    This artificial smell is the only thing I dont like in this fragrance, as it ruins the "sexyness". Which grown up man wants to smell like freshly washed clothes?
    Also, being 26 years old, I feel that I shouldnt be much older, as this scent IMO is for the younger guys.
    But if your young (or feeling young) and like fresh scents that are a bit sweet (like I do) then give it a try!
    Its a great summer scent and makes you feel fresh during a hot summer day.