Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

chengfun's avatar

Love by By Kilian

This starts out slightly citrusy, and quite sweet like candy floss. The neroli is very prominent to me in the dry down. Sillage is quite good, I keep catching wisps of it whenever I try on the sample, and longevity is excellent, same as Beyond Love. For some reason the combination reminds me of Dr Pepper, sweet and fizzy. The overall feeling is happy and cheerful. I can see myself buying this.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 6 Synthetic: Soda by Comme des Garçons

go to the Kitchen...take a big piece of Ginger...crush it and smear it in your hand...now smell it? well tht's the opening notes to soda...hyper ginger ale blast. half and hour past the ginger notes ton down considerably and mingles away with the rest of the dirty musk notes to give off a mirage of well, "Rose", this reminds me a lot about Rose 31 by Le labo, especially the midnotes.

i would give it a thumbs up for it's creative factor and the interplay of notes. a evry sexy skin scent for reasonable price. ignore the packaging, this one is good.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

After the initial smooth opening glow this scent literally engulfs the wearer just like a shield. the magic of this gem is in the way it works it sillage. Exceptional lastin power and a scent wth lot of poise, style, comfort, class, warmth, glow and luxury re-defined...doesnt this scent also have one of the "best" notes of leather? i mean to call/Label it a Iris based scents is cruel. whenever i wear this scent, i feel like i'm wearing a top end shiny leather product straight out of it's shelf...and the sillage..oh-so powdery and silky smooth like fur....the scent is ofcourse as we all know, Dior Homme....all the references to inside of a ldies pruse, lipstick note etc. is to an extent true and yet..thsi manages to be one of the best scents out there. for this one, i's suggest, please ignore the reviews and get yourself this scent. it's a masterpiece.

31st July, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 August, 2009)

Thundra by Profumum

Profumum - Thundra: opens with a very cool, wet, MINT note with a underlying touch of green, this openin note is soo good, so good that one may just drop $240 for this one....the opening notes is impressive the same way PG's Corp et ames is....half an hour past, the mint note fades away completely..leaving a very "earthy, almost barren note" with a lesson in patchouli...this phase is very true and smells like "real earth+patchouli". This phase hangs in for quite some time then moving to a powdery trail of dust and "WOOD" + a smell which is very very similar to gentleman(the note tht makes gentleman, the scents it is) and or PG's Corps et ames..i would like to say theres leather, but im confused whether its leather or earthy notes...

overall, a pretty good experience; very realistic, enjoyable, wearable, intriguing one with damp earthy notes and one of the finest Patchouli, it'd like to add ever, but, lets say its nice.

Ferré for Him by Gianfranco Ferré

ever sniffed FCUK for him? well, if not then this is how it smells. i have no idea wht spoils it in both these scents...wht is it about the combinmation of notes tht gives it the synthetic, heavy duty floral in a very sweet vanillic way...

neutral coz it might be good for young college goin crowd...

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Not much to add here... A classical fougere that possesses a timeless beauty which ought not be ignored. The mid notes are very green and invigorating, but maybe a bit too green for my taste. The base notes however, are much better. The drydown reminds me of Van Cleef & Arpels' Tsar: herbal, lively and rather cool. It's also a very elegant fragrance... I can't imagine wearing it with anything but a suit and a tie. Although not in the same category with legends as Armani pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed and other great fragrances of the 80's, Azzaro is a perfume that definitely should be discovered by many.

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Nice... Very slightly resembling Boucheron's Jaipur (although it's far from the refinement of the latter), this is a comfortable fragrance that proves to be very easy to wear. It's a sweet and light scent that seems to be a safe choice almost anytime. Not necessarily an impressive perfume, but a pretty enjoyable scent. Worth a try.

Présence by Montblanc

A surprisingly nice fragrance! A very light, sweet and spicy scent that proves to be wearable and comfortable. It reminds me of Boucheron's Jaipur, but this has some slightly green notes during the drydown, which make it fresher and easier to wear, but ultimately less complex and less interesting than Jaipur. Appropriate for daytime use, it is definitely worth at least giving it a try.

Blue Jeans by Versace

This is a very nice scent to a reasonable price!
    The opening is fresh although it es extremely sweet, I can clearly smell the violet and jasmine part.
    It also stays quite long on my skin and after about 2 hours there is mainly the musk left to smell which isnt everyone's cup of tea but I personally like it.
    If your wallet (or your conscience) does not allow you to buy expensive scents than this one is good bet!

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

As I think JPG Le Male is one of the best scents ever created I was very excited about trying FdM a few months ago.
    I even considered just to buy it without trying it first as it was JPG and the bottle reminded me of LeMale.
    THANK GOD I tried it first!
    Now, I have never been to a Southern European, male only "Massage Club", but I am pretty sure THIS is the kind of smelling sensation you get there!
    It smells sweet, but not the good kind. It smells "thick" I dont know how to describe it better. If I liked it, I would have written "deep" but this word is not enough for the overwhelming smell.
    It smelled like a mixture of Rose-Soap and babypowder with a hint of musk.
    Normally I like sweet scents, but this is just way too much. After walking through the city, I felt like apologising to everyone that got closer than 2m... not exactly the feeling you want to get after spraying some cologne on to you.
    Maybe I'll try it again sometime but for now, I have to give a clear thumbs down!

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

It is a nice fragrance that reminds me of LeMale alhtougg it is a bit sweeter.
    Good to wear everyday and I also got some compliments wearing this.
    I could be a bit fresher from the start but it makes up for it by staying on my skin quite long.
    The only thing I dont like is the twisted bottle. I think it looks feminin and is not an eyecatcher in the bathroom.
    If you like sweet, long lasting scents, give it a try!

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

An earlier incarnation of Nouveau Bowery but with more herbs (basil). Not bad but I'd rather have the Bond.

Skye by Geo F Trumper

This stuff is practically non-existent. Just like air; ubiquitous yet undetectable unless the wind blows. I'm not al all impressed with the Geo F. Trumper line.

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

Spicy, sour aquatic that doesn't last. Though I like the top notes, there's nothing else. Next please.

Daytona 500 Fragrance for Men by Daytona 500

Diluted woody that comes off as smelling like overheated vehicular moving parts fluid. Vrrm vrrm on outta here..

afraafra's avatar

Iran Iran

The Dreamer by Versace

The top notes are too harsh and the drydown is very long lasting and good , but I was expecting much more from this.

maverickmage's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

I thought I would like this scent since on paper it had a great incense smell. But after I sprayed it on myself, the incense disappears in a few short minutes and your left with a weird synthetic sweet scent. A few hours after that, it drys down to a nice floral. If only I could take out those midnotes and extend the topnote, than it would be great. But otherwise, this scent isn't worth it.

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

Very strong in the first spray.Too green and acid, but when it dries I can smell the chocolate in it. Sweet , girly and different.
    Wait for 15 min. to give an opinion about this one. A scent with personality.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I didn´t feel this one was for me at all the first time I smelt it. But one of my students was wearing it and it was so lovely on her that I decided to give it another chance , and right now it is one of my favourites. Young , bright, fresh,clean and simple.
    My daughter loves the bottle.

Chloé (new) by Chloé

I like this one. It smells like fresh ,clean clothes after being ironed.Great for the office and daywear.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

i have had my bottle for 2 years and have never worn this in public and never will. not a bad scent but it does not make me do backflips neither.one dimensional and a bit short on longevity.

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

very poor. very synthetic and sweet.just awful. joop clone done worse than the original.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

one of the frshest longest lasting creations the gods have ever made. a true masterpiece. floral and fresh but very unfeminine. one of the best 10 colognes imo ever produced.

Geir by Geir Ness

a subtle edp with great longevity. a natural clean and sweet scent that is uncomparable. safe and sexy but maybe a tad bit overpriced.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

of the handful of fruit based scents (adg melon and quasar banana) this is right in the middle. an extreme version should have been made with more power and this would have been a classic. high priced for such low longevity but definately different from anything you have ever smelled.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

better than the new one whichis terribly terrible but no match to original. it lasts awhile but not my kinda scent. a fougure type that does not reach home plate.

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

i like it. it will grow on you like armpit hair. very simple and fresh made toofresh with gourmand notes also. not a wow! fragrance but it will get you some attention.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

i agree with jude c. wonderful and original but too light. an extreme version is needed.

NoëlleMaximus's avatar

Hungary Hungary

DKNY Delicious Night by Donna Karan

I really wanted to love this as the initial burst of blackberry liquor and vanilla was delicious, but it dies down very soon with little lasting power. A nice scent with awful sillage. Somebody would have to have their nasal passages on your pulse points to know you are even wearing it, not a good thing in my opinion. Unfortunately I had to return this after purchasing. Hopefully works better for other chemistries!!

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

Why does this cost $300? It's a beautiful scent but not worth that price tag I think. I once used a scent that I bought from Genovese drug store also called Gardenia about 15 years ago, which was my senior year in high school, and it smelled just like PCTG. That scent cost around $8. I wish I could remember the perfume brand. I have never seen it since.