Fragrance Reviews from July 2008

loomi's avatar

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

After reading about Odeur 53 perfume on its introduction the list with the note of ozone especially attracted me because who would not enjoy ozone after a lightening shower?
    In comparison, Bulgari Black perfume has a burnt note that is in common with Odeur 53. Black does not have electrified head notes as Odeur 53 has, and, unlike Odeur 53, Black has a leather and musk base.
    When I picked up Odeur 53, I enjoyed it at home and slowly absorbed the new concept of Comme des Garcons, often smelling samples at my bottle of it. The packaging of Odeur 53 was a revelation as the mylar envelope with the list of the notes was worth the cost of getting this perfume. When I wore Odeur 53 in public, one of the typical ladies of my neighborhood responded with a frown.
    I wish that I knew a lady who wore Odeur 53 all of the time because I am sure that I would listen to her ideas. I can not carry the note of finger nail polish though I appreciate the idea of it. After a few years of wearing perfumes since picking up Odeur 53, I think that it might best compliment, in public, the haute couture clothing of Comme des Garcons or a pristine white t-shirt of a toned body. Odeur 53 reminds me of my dream house in the city that is high up in the sky and full of light, metal, glass and air, and I suspect that I would enjoy visiting my dream house better than I would enjoy living in it. I always want Odeur 53 in my wardrobe because of the sense of discovery that it engendered.

loomi's avatar

8 88 by Comme des Garçons

8 88 opens with tiny fireworks. The pepper and saffron tingle together superbly. Since I have just tried 8 88, I'm afraid that I didn't identify the geranium note. Maybe the geranium is the key for the pleasantly astringent opening.
    After a minute, the amber started to kick into place, and I thought, "8 88 is pretty." This is when the gold analogy that is part of the reputation of 8 88 perfume felt true to me. The sillage is moderate and dominated by amber and patchouli.
    Sometime after five minutes I started to realize 8 88 has a lush complexity without sweetness in a tier of classics along with CK Obsession. Particularly the notes of cocuma and safraline together threw me at the five minute point. 8 88 about overpowered my senses at that point, an I was completely surprised. At this point when I got feedback about 8 88 by a lady friend, she said, "I like it." At this time a man, when quiered for his opinion after five minutes, said that he didn't like it.
    Uncharacteristic of CdG scents, 8 88 settled for me into a trusty, clean smell that gave me a familiar, comforting, up close and golden aura.
    I am sure that everyone will not pick up 8 88, and, in my book that is an attribute. In my opinion, this is not a scent for a beginner in wearing perfume. The dazzling complexity of the development of 8 88 lends this scent a rating of imperative for trying by us who want to live in the future of today.

E-beth's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

I had been warned off by perfumistas who claim that everything Jo Malone has ever done is underwhelming, but this is one I like and wear semi-regularly.

Its a journey perfume-- starts as coffee and ends as vetiver. A little perfumey for my taste, but sooo interesting that I can't resist jumping on every once in a while for the ride...

I agree with Surreality that the coffee note is very gourmande, but I fine the vetiver to be refreshingly sharp and green, and not so smoky.

The longevity is decent, and though the coffee open fades quickly, on my skin it makes an encore appearance in the dry-down.

Gypsy154's avatar

24, Faubourg by Hermès

This is my first purchase because of basenote reviews. I love it...and I thought I didn't like strong florals. Borrowing prose from castorpollux, "Huge, big florals, creamy, thick and very caramel-like middle notes, and amber/woods heaven at the basenotes..." I could not say it better.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

First time i applied this fragrance everybody was asking me about what am i wearing ...even people i dont know.... for me its one of my favorites .....

MarieC's avatar

Xi'a Xi'ang by Revlon

My skin changes 99% of perfumes into something totally gross and acid... I only found two perfumes in my life that I could wear! One was a solid and my all time favourite was Xi'a Xi'ang... I dearly missed it and have not found another one that smells nice on me since!

As for the name, Guy Cook in his book "The Discourse on Advertising" indicates (on p. 83-84) that the perfume's logo is reminiscent of a stylized calligraphy of the two Chinese characters meaning "Distant Thoughts" and "Daydream"....

I also heard (where was that from?) that in Chinese Xi'a Xi'ang with a different intonation could mean something like "pink cloud".

Wish they would bring it back... :o)