Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Top Notes: Grapefruit, Basil, Bergamot, Galbanum
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Juniper, Heliotrope, Pine
    Base Notes: Cedar, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Benzoin

I like the top notes in this, and the rest is interesting, but it doesn't quite seem to make a whole. It is a bit on the sweet side, and could use more balance. On the good side, it is fresh and comfortable to wear in warmer weather, if you don't mind the sweetness too much. I have seen pyramids for this that claim jasmine, juniper, heliotrope, and pine in the heart and don't mention vanilla in the base. That's the pyramid I included in this review , from parfyym.pri.ee. Those notes seem to make some sense to me, although I think they would make for more balance and more projection than I get from the juice in the bottle I own. I think this is OK, but I had hoped for greater things from it, so the best I can do is give it a neutral rating.

Lian's avatar

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the first of Serge Lutens I have tried and I wasn´t over the moon by it. I immediatly thought it smelled very familiar to me and of something by mother used to wear, which is hypnotic poison. Only the Sl isn´t as headache inducing but smoother and calmer. It is comforting to wear and I love the dry down, but it didn´t last very long on me. I thought the dry down was oddly refreshing and not as heavy and warm as the start which was a nice surprise. In total the scent lasted maybe 5 hours in total with 2 sprays. Not too bad, but I did expect more overall.

I mean let´s face it, you don´t buy Sl to get a milder version of hypnotic poison, it is better done and a nicer fragrance overall than Poison...but that isn´t what I´m looking for.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

Well, purplebird7 and I are on the same page...bought this blindly...big mistake! The galbanum is short lived, morphing into a sickly sweet spicy scrubber. Wish I could have smelled the original...

ubuandibeme's avatar

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

I agree with Tovah in that Eclat d Arpege is along the lines of Scent of Peace and Light Blue... but the first association I made was Bvlgari's Omnia Crystalline. A transparent blend of flowers, wood and musk ~ light and refreshing. I adore Arpege, and this version comes accross very youthful and modern ~ extremely wearable!

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

It is romantic and lovely; like a powder colored French lace and silk dress and a big smile of affectionate lady in it. Apricot and rose makes a dreamy soft new thing that makes you ask "what kind of rose is this?" But the real artistic scene begins after the rose steps back to a even up the musk and vanilla. The sweetness may be tiring in repetitive usage but i have to try and see.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Eau d'Elide by Diptyque

This is by far one of my favorite scents from Diptyque. It is a perfect combination of bitter-orange, lavander, and herbs of which the coriandre comes across nicely. I find it to be one of the most enjoyable summer scents, as opposed to all of the eaux/citrus scents which are most common. Pure perfection.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Casma (new) by Caswell-Massey

This gorgeous potion of creamy florals and ebonized spices--smeared with vanillic undertones--has sadly been discontinued. While it was a potent blend, it also had a magical, exciting quality to it---like decadence rolling off black velvet. The new release packaging was charming, too. Very "Gatsby-esque", roaring twenties and unique against the competition. Imagine a flapper with a massive gardenia adorning her hair, wearing a corsage of orchids against black velvet; she occasionally slips licorice/absinthe liquor from a hidden thigh flask, dabs more creamy powder on her nose, fixes kohl and turquoise eye makeup before heading into the big city--search lights rolling and signs blinking--for a night out. "Casma" would be the scent simmering on her decollete and knees. What's happened to Caswell-Massey? Why are they abandoning historical, brand-specific scents that were so packed with character and energy? Sadly, they're heading down the dull, soulless path of "Bath and Bodyworks" and "Victoria's Secret" scent choices. Bring back spicy, passionate "Casma"!

jenson's avatar

India India

Spirit of the Tiger by Heeley

i was pulled in to Heeley with their release Cardinal, i never had to fortune to sample cardinal, only once someone is know wore it from a sample on his way to meet me, i just loved the sillage of it..amazing stuff... that's how i came across Spirit of the tiger... when i read the reviews on Lucky scent- that its inspired by Tiger Balm, i rejected it immediately thinkin who would wanna smell like that....well, i was sooo wrong. recently i got a sample of it...and... it's just amazing! the sillage and feel of this scent would be a strong reminder of how similar it is to tiger balm, yet, its sooo enjoyable! this is a scent and it comes across as a very powerful, soothing, invigorating scent. Tiger balm is a balm and thats the end to it. the fun part is the mid to base notes journey!! my fav part!! ummmm wow! just too good. if i were put a gun on my head to say how it smell, it'd say take the best of Kouros and tone down the intensity of the herbal approach of tiger balm a bit! thr! i said it!

its just an amazing one, a scent with character, a scent with magical healing powers, a scent with a spicy herbal soul from birth, a scent that could easily be a contender as being my holy grail.

jathanas's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Warm, smoky, and woody. The incense shadows the top notes. This juice evokes an image of an elegant setting during a winter evening. It manages to be formal but modern, dark yet surprisingly this fragrance gets compliments from women. This stands unique in my collection, furthermore it is a keeper to be sure.
    Colossal!

SirSlarty's avatar

Déclaration by Cartier

Not very vibrant, very linear. A spicy dry wood that has the longevity and personality of a tortoise. Smells like an old classroom.

SirSlarty's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

At first I thought "wow, oranges!" then I thought, "um, did someone Kouros in my sample?" but after that I thought, "there's no civet". Lasted a whole night on me; a constant barrage of it. It gave me a sense of confidence but, very very oddly enough, I don't like the scent.

Anbreen's avatar

Alma de Alma by Madini

This fragrance will put a definate switch in your hips! Even in scrubs and no makeup, I feel like a beauty, with drop on a pulse point, or two. This is serious night out on the town, or alone with a lover stuff. Gorgeous! It's an intensely sexy, smooth vanillic amber, with just a shade of a citrus that I can't quite identify. Just enough to round out the fragrance, and add dimension. No enough to say, "Oh, it's lemon"-- IF that's what it is! All of this over a barely-there undertone of skin musk and the slightest touch of-- swear to God!-- civet. Now, I can't wear civet. My skin amplifies it nastily. But, THIS note of THIS civet is subtle and slightly disturbing. Very adult, very mysterious. If Madindi discontinues this, I may jump off a bridge, It is a necessity.

Kaern's avatar

Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire

Didn't really like this when I tested. The top notes were fleeting to say the least and it quickly dived into a rather sharp and harsh leathery mixture. The sillage is pretty big also, so was rather enveloped in it. Not for me.

Scott1971's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

This is such a great scent, I love prada amber so I really wanted to give this Daniela Andrier creation a shot and am not disappointed. I don't find this hard to wear at all and it's also quite long lasting on my skin, two big thumbs up!

glitteralex's avatar

Quelques Roses by Houbigant

It's a warm, dry summer afternoon, and I wanted to try something feminine. The usual water and tea inspired scents don't do it for me, so I swung by my local perfume shop, and picked up the QR EDT. As an admirer of rose scents, I was disappointed that the main (persistent) note in the top is guava! With a little watermelon and light citrus thrown in.

As for the heart, I got some jasmine, a gourmand berry and cream note, and some deep rose-maybe Bulgarian, Damask, or Moroccan-but the rose still does not play a major role.

The drydown is sweet and sharp, with powder, vanilla, orris and a little amber. A delicate perfume, altogether, but certainly not what I expected.

Incidentally, I have no idea what the official fragrance notes are for this scent, nor could I find them. I would be interested to find them.

djolney's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Many years ago I bought a beautiful hand crafted acoustic guitar made from Brazilian Rosewood. As time has passed the sound has got even better and the wonderful smell has dissipated. Even today when I take it out of its case I can still conjure up the wonderful sweet, salty, dark, and smooth smell of freshly worked Brazilian Rosewood.

When I sprayed Egoiste on my wrist I was immediately transported back to the moment when I first smelled my guitar. The rosewood in Egoiste is beautiful, and in conjunction with sandalwood and vanilla forms the elegant and long lasting heart of the fragrance.

Egoiste begins with a sparkling accord of mandarin and rosewood that settles down onto a heart of slightly spicy rose. As it begins to dry down a perfect harmony of vanilla and sandalwood emerges to support the rosewood and rose. The sandalwood is silky, and the vanilla smells very natural. Within an hour cinnamon weaves its way between the rosewood, sandalwood, and vanilla, and this combination lasts all day on my skin.

The combination of wood on the top and at the bottom gives Egoiste a unique character that is not going to appeal to everyone, but few people could fail to appreciate its perfect harmony.

Like my guitar, Egoiste will be sticking around.

djolney's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Soapy dirt with a splash of bug spray: try before you buy.

On the basis of the excellent reviews here on basenotes I ordered a bottle of Vetiver without first having tried it. When the bottle arrived I pulled off the cap excitedly and sprayed. After thirty seconds of citrus it settled down to soapy dirt with a splash of bug spray. My first thought was that there must be something wrong with my bottle, so I went and found a sample locally, but the outcome was the same. On my skin this fragrance goes horribly wrong and there is no development or dry down to speak of.

zoetje's avatar

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I dont like at all, too much abricot, I think.

01st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2008)

zoetje's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

The smelling is lovely and different but I like it.

01st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2008)

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

I agree with the advice to "start off lightly". This is a masculine scent but a woman may really like it combined with something more floral or fruity. I like it with Jo Malone's Pom Noir.

Royal Water by Creed

This is my second purchase inspired by basenotes.net reviews. I have learned my lesson - try it on first. This did not work well on me and I got a bit of "mosquito repellent" mentioned by others so I should have been warned.

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

Ok, I understand the criticism of this fragrance used by itself – but give it a second chance by combining it with something deeper and you may like it. I like it with Jo Malone’s 154.

Chestnut's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

Is the disparity listed by Basenotes and The Perfumed Court due to there being two distinct versions currently extant since Tom Ford's revision? I just received this today as a sample -- not sure which one I received but might be the original. I definitely don't pick up on anything as potentially edible as orange blossom or coconut. Rather, this strikes me as the kind of Gloria Swanson-style scentbomb that could inspire health-conscious cities to ban perfume. I am a woman of "a certain age" who tends to appreciate dark and demanding scents (though, I admit, I am mixed about chypres and vetiver). But this one is actually turning my stomach! It's fascinating to me how scents with any intensity listed here draw such divergent reactions. The "leather-ette" middle is now becoming slightly more tolerable, but for the sake of my poor, disoriented cats I'm going to hop in a shower!

Chestnut's avatar

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree with tigrushka -- this smells like vanilla pod. It's not a fragrance with lots of cards up its sleeve -- it has an almost idiot-savant quality -- but if you like your vanilla rich and warm and toasty, supported by polished wood and something fresh and sharp and silvery, you can't not enjoy this. I just got some for my husband, who's not especially metrosexual, but is French and doesn't work in an office, so maybe he can get away with wearing a "woman's fragrance". Anyway, he briefly falls into a kid-eating-a-cupcake revery when he sprays it on, and I think it's because this vanilla is smart enough to get away with being a bit infantilizing.

JaimeB's avatar

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A leather-chypre slant with a strange, evocative set of notes. Labdanum serves for the leather note in this, with curious companions in the heart note of coffee, frankincense and the surprising floral ylang-ylang. Myrrh in the top (it's usually a base note) with a green, but slightly anise-like tarragon for support. Galbanum in the base (usually a top note) echoes the tarragon, and patchouli and vetiver are just typical of Jean Laporte. The effect is marvelous, even enrapturing (to me, at least); it is rich, with a green undernote that both delights and astonishes, so deftly tucked into a dry woody-oriental-leather scent. Laporte at his best, it is on a par with Santal Noble and Parfum d'Habit for masculine elegance.

Quarry's avatar

Desir De Nature by Yves Rocher

If I were a schoolgirl, I'd feel very good about wearing this pretty cologne. But those days are long gone, and I'm on to more clever concoctions. I wish young women would seek out an affordable little number like this instead of spending their money on celebrity department-store fragrances. Or does the next generation think DdN smells old fashioned because it has no synthetic twang? Well, if you ever feel like wearing a flower-print dress and twirling a parasol, this might fit you as well. Fairly low-pitched for a fragrance centered on lily-of-the-valley. Olfactive Family : Green Floral. Head Notes: Mandarin, Crushed Mint Leaves. Mid Notes: Headspace Daphne, Lily-of-the-Valley. Base Note: Cedar.

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

Divine. Violet is one of the best smells in the universe. Borsari's is a more complicated fragrance than Yardley's April Violets which is more one-dimensional and pure (and, for the price, a fantastic violet perfrume).. Borsari's is subtle, smooth but strong and soft - it must be the rose, jasmine and orris gives the powdery overlay.. But it is predominatly violet and you can smell the violet and its an absolutely gorgeous perfume and, unlike Bulgari's Viole de Jasmine, it lasts and lasts.

Madness by Chopard

You'd have to be bloody mad to buy it if you smelt it first. I took mine to work, offered it to anyone who wanted it. No-one did. On me it smelt like a mixture of crushed tomato leaves and cough medicine.

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

I bought my bottle on ebay, perserved with it for a few months and threw it out thinking it must have been stale. Last week I saw it in a pharmacy and tried it again. Sadly it was just as vile. I see other reviewers love it, which is inexplicable to me..

Diesel Green Feminine by Diesel

No No No. Don't do it.They discontinued it for a reason. Couldn't be that they intended this for a perfume. Perhaps I could use it to spray on cockroaches (as the bottle suggests). Another very good reason for never buying a scent before trying it on my skin.