Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

kewart's avatar

L'Aimant by Coty

My Aunt has worn this scent for years, so I thought iId try it on my skin.
    I bought the pink, cream version, which you apply with a little applicator.
    What I mostly get is powdery florals (rose and jasmine0 ans a nice woody
    drydown. Inexpensive and perfect for special nights out.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Amazing! Reading reviews from people who get the mint and not the pepper really forces me to stress that wearing a perfume is highly subjective. Just spot a reviewer who senses the same notes as you and ignore the ones that contradict him. They are not wrong! They just have a different skin and different memories. Because smell is the sense more closely associated with memory, The olfactory epithelium is derived from cells that migrate from the embryo's brain to the nose and so smell keeps the closest association to feelings and memory in particular.
    To me PN is PEPPER! Not just black. All kinds of pepper. Black, pink, red, green (a very green scent indeed) and somewhere in the mid range of ingredients I even get curry (must be the fennel). Very peppery but very wearable at all times of day and year.
    Excellent

vawallpa's avatar

Black Jeans by Versace

Very similar to two scents but combine them very well. It bears a resemblance to Ungaro III but has more of a tar smell than flowers. Also bears a likeness to rive gauche. A very dark and mysterious scent. A very nice addition to the collection, especially as it is discontinued. Harsh and in your face, just the way I like it!

carlos-uk's avatar

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Have I finally found my signature? I approached Monsieur with a degree of caution based on my experiences of Givenchy Gentleman which whilst having the potential to be stunning is to my mind an affront to polite society in its current formulation. Such caution was not necessary.

I have a slightly strange habit with new fragrances that arrive mail order. After unwrapping the outer packaging I smell the cellophane wrapping and then after taking that off, the box itself. Then I go for the inside of the cap and the hole on the spritzer just to see if there's the slightest suggestion of what's inside. I think it has something to do with anticipation being half the fun! I got a slight hint from the spray hole of what was inside the Monsieur bottle and excitedly started pushing away on the top of the bottle.

Well, what can I say? If Gentleman was designed with the Englishman in mind and Monsieur with the Frenchman in mind, I have to say (as an Englishman) I'm insulted. Monsieur far outclasses the stinky and wafting Givenchy Gentleman and is eminently more wearable. Its lemony but subdued and makes me think of a toned down version of the original Armani Pour Homme (in fact I'm surprised nobody has yet made the comparison). I'd say its closer to Armani than Eau Savage as others have suggested. There is a slightly dry quality to this fragrance that is also impressive. The dry down I can't particularly comment on as it doesn't seem to last that long on my skin which is a great shame. All I can note is that the initial Lemon in the face subdues rather a lot and leaves a delicate air of pure class behind. I'm smitten. Sod the CK's,Ralph Laurens and the YSL's. This is where its at, this is what fragrance is all about. In answer to my question posed at the beginning: Yes, I think I may well have done. Rule Britannia :-)

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: marine, salty breeze, driftwood, rocks covered in seaweed, old leather suitcases.
    Mr. Hulot’s Holiday – a charming French movie, full of wry observations of human nature and great physical comedy, all conveyed wordlessly. I guess this scent is an homage to the movie, but I too am not a fan of this family of scents. It is an airy, breezy, fresh scent. What I find in many scents of this family is certainly what I find here: a synthetic, detergent-like note that gets colder and more irritating as time goes on. This is an OK scent, but in my opinion nothing special. Its chief virtue is that it is somewhat less irritating than others. Don’t get any green seaweed, old wood, or leather notes here. Just fresh, fresh, fresh. My nose is getting weary of all the freshness.

Winter 1972 by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: snow, woolen mittens, frozen forest.
    Winter 1972. Fresh, entirely synthetic. Not attractive to me at all. Odd, frosty, no ‘warmth’. Like smelling blasts of air from a freezer. I understand this is a wintery scent... but sheesh. At times a whiff of something like coriander – the only interesting thing there but a bit too sweet. It has poor longevity, in this case a blessing. I’m sorry to be so negative, but I find this to be vacuous and irritating. It makes my nose sore.

Real Patchouly by Bois 1920

Top: celery, mandarin orange, thyme, davana, cedarwood
    Mid: patchouli, sandalwood, eucalyptus, incense
    Base: tobacco leaves, musk, vanilla, benzoin, labdanum
    The first half of Real Patchouly is excellent. It has a wonderfully dry resin-incense note, freshened by a bit of eucalyptus. The woods are woody and well done. So far this ranks with Bois d’Encens or Bois d’Orage. Then the sweet and rich notes of tobacco leaves, amber and vanilla kick in. The scent gets bigger, browner and heavier and I like it less and less. The final dry-down is quite ambery and vanilla-laden; a true oriental style of fragrance. I guess if you like amber and vanilla you’ll like this; but I don’t. I vote 'neutral' because of the fine first half.

Under The Arbor by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: grape leaves, weathered wood, green moss, cool earth.
    Under the Arbor – a lovely name, memory, concept. I’d love to sit in a pergola or arbor on a hot summer day and smell the above wonderful things. However, I’m underwhelmed by this scent. It is slightly green (sappy, vinous) and has a somewhat innocent mood. Fairly sweet and floral; young flowers I’d say. There is a fresh and cool note, mint-like. But the latter becomes another example of the irritating fresh notes in many of today’s scents. Whatever the grape leaves are supposed to be, to me they smell like grape Kool-Aid powder, or a tin of grape soda-pop with a mint lifesaver dissolved in it. Moss? Pretty subdued. Wood? Can’t find any.

Gli Odori by Odori

Well, I’m disappointed in Gli Odori. I love herbal scents, and the product descriptions of little pots of herbs in the sunny streets of Florence sounded so nice. The opening is great: herbal, fresh and green, even a bit piquant. There is also a bit of peppery nutmeg spice, and woody pencil shavings from the cedar. The cedar and sandalwood bring out a citrus note that is also pleasing. Then, the whole thing goes south on me! The celery seed combines aggressively with the cedarwood and I get a STRONG cumin pong that just gets bigger and more obnoxious as time goes on. I’m not against cumin-like scents, Trumper’s Eucris for example has a nice little pinch of it. But it is just way too much here. Out of interest, I compared Gli Odori with MPG’s Grain de Plaisir – what a difference. Admittedly, celery seed is the ‘point’ of Grain (whereas it should only be a background element in Gli Odori); yet in Grain it stays as celery seed (slightly sweet, aromatic, nutty and celery-like). Grain is much finer scent in my opinion. Can’t register a positive for Gli, unfortunately. I'll be interested if others have the same impression.

scentsitivity's avatar

Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

I have tried Ténéré several times and found it to be different and intriguing. I took some time to ponder, as it has a unique character. The opening is a bit cluttered and dense. Eventually honey and rose emerge as prominent notes. I detect a tinge of tarragon. Leather is in the background, but emerges later on as more pronounced. There is a lot of complexity at all stages, but the latter stages have less clutter than in the opening: I prefer the heart and base. Since no one has listed the notes, I provide them here:

TOP NOTES: Bergamot, Cassia, Grapefruit, Green Note, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary
    HEART NOTES: Anise, Artemisia, Carnation, Cinnamon, Honey, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose, Tarragon
    BASE NOTES: Amber, Cedar, Leather, Musk, Patchouli, Vetiver

Ténéré is no longer in production and that is regrettable, as it is a decent scent. Good sillage and longevity.

nthny's avatar

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

This is a fragrance that was better than I imagined it would be, and I'd built it up in my mind for months before actually getting to try it. Like salt water dried on sun drenched skin? Absolutely! While Sel de Vetiver is really all about vetiver and the sensation of salt, I would actually venture to recommend it to those seaking a seaside reminiscent fragrance as it certainly evokes that for me, but in a far less obvious way than most fragrances with that specific intent. The first stage in the game is noticing how a grapefruit note works in the fragrance as a perfumer's brush stroke, avoiding the spotlight in order to add a shimmer to the fresher, greener aspects of vetiver and produce that mouthwatering tang that I often experience in a good vetiver fragrance. Sel de Vetiver's biggest surprise on me was that for the greater part of its evolution, it intensified on my skin. The vetiver and salt sensation became sharper, more focused, and more delicious, MORE mouthwatering, to the point where the fragrance actually smells of crisp, clean sea water, and the greenness of the vetiver actually seems to take on a sea kelp imagery in my mind. This fragrance is an absolute joy to wear and it does not leave one wanting for more intensity and longevity. Though when all is said and done this is a rather "simple" fragrance, I can't say enough good things about it. Superb!

nthny's avatar

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

When I was at Aedes, I heard customers fawning over Escentric 01. "Oh yes, you really can't smell it ON you that much but people compliment me on this all the time." And that seems to be what I hear and read most about this fragrance. Naturally I had to know what this olfactory phenomenon was all about so I ordered a sample. Now, I generally don't like to play the "this smells like" game, but my nose went through a scrolling list of fragrances of which Escentric 01 reminded me. The opening wizz of tart, delicious, green yet slightly chemical lime/lime peel reminded me VERY STRONGLY of Eau d'Cartier Concentree. This association was intensified when the nondescript hazy woody notes came through, but just as that scent association faded, another came to the fore... Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue for women, and distantly of Black XS for men which has that similar fuzzy sweet wood sensation. Those hazy, scratchy, somewhat generic woody notes are utilized here subtly, and they seem like the generic light, hazy, fuzzy, scratchy, blond wood smell employed in many of todays department store "fresh/woody" fragrances. Burying my nose in, I faintly experience a sort of cool, pointed, peppery, fresh frankincense smell that seems to add that "je ne sai quoi" to Escentric 01 transforming it from something ho hum to something kind of special. I reminded those around me all day that I was wearing a "magic perfume that wafts genius bursts of freshness and delight all day" and no one seemed to notice it. I did dab generously, and did not spray... so perhaps in order to experience this halo, this aura, the mystery that is Escentric 01, one needs to spray it on. Honestly, I feel this could be something special but because I'm not able to mist it on my body and clothes, I'm not getting the full effect. At any rate, via my mode of application, this turned out to be a nice, pretty, tame, sweet and sour fresh lime, effervescent light woody scent with a little prickly pepper to add interest. If one were to sample this, I highly recommend ordering a spray decant. I want to give it a neutral but must give a thumbs up. There's something about this that seems "just right." It's balanced, gentle, it smells very good, and it's unique.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Quel Amour! by Annick Goutal

This is a bold and strong parfume even in edt form. Opens with a quality rose bouquet, then i got something reminding me bubblegums. bubble gums? no i got some berries, getting stronger and stronger. which berries? exactly the ones in the jungle berry bubblegums. i feel confused about it. It is well done but i do not feel charmed by it. As it become sour cherry over the rosy base and fade away i decided that it is not for me.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

Honeysuckle over the green tea and lemon. I like honeysuckle very much and the honey suckle note in it is very gentle but i would prefer a different base. Green tea and lemon is worn out; besides never acts as a base; green tea is like red satin, it would pop out in all instances. Of course you can use red satin to underlie diamonds but honeysuckle is not a sparkling note and is shadowed by green tea here. İt is a pity as i like honeysuckle very much.

Slinky's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I'm afraid I can't understand the support for this one.
    While I can see how it can be interpreted as a "classic" and "gentlemanly" fragrance, I almost vomited when applying it.
    It has a stomach-turning spicy opening, settling into an overpowering mixture of spice and vanilla.
    Perhaps it is a personal aversion to spice, or just an old bottle which is "on the turn" I honestly do not know.

SirSlarty's avatar

Angélique Encens by Creed

Beautiful, smooth and calming. I wore this to bed calm my nerves and cure insomnia. I woke up a rested man. I need to get a candle of this if it's available.

SirSlarty's avatar

cK one Summer 2005 by Calvin Klein

Light, fresh, and even more of a radiant citrus than ck One. Perfect summer scent and it seems to last longer than the Eternity Summer scent series.

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is how heaven probably smells like. It's the most refreshing perfume you will ever find. It exudes class, innocence and beauty.

Bigsly's avatar

Richard James by Richard James

A superb "blended" fragrance. It's somewhere between dusty and powdery, but not to the point of being overwhelming. There is a touch of "soapiness," but not in a bad way, and it's not sweet or too dry. Longevity and sillage are excellent, but it's not a "power frag."

Bigsly's avatar

Ignition by Lomani

The teak and vanilla are strong. I don't get much of the top or mid notes; perhaps my bottle is old. Or it might be that the blending is extreme. One spray is all you probably need. Though "linear," it doesn't bore me, as other ones like this do, and this may be a matter of personal taste, rather than anything to do with the fragrance itself. However, it's something I only like once a week or more. If you use it for nights out, and are on a budget, this is probably what you're looking for. I enjoy the teak here, more than the vanilla, which is so common these days. It's very inexpensive too.

Eau d'Été by Nicolaï

I really wanted to like Eau d'Ete . From all that I have read about Patricia Nicolai by Luca Turin and perfume writers, she is well respected as a talented perfumer. I am also very partial to colognes and adore Eau de Rochas, Chanel's Eau de Cologne and Dior's Cologne Blanche, for example.

However, Eau d'Ete is not in the same category as those mentioned above. It honestly smells like spicy cinnamon/musk scented soap with maybe a dash of orange flower. If Eau d'Ete were a beautifully packaged $10 bar of soap, I would probably like it fine but as a perfume at perfume prices (and I know Parfums de Nicolai is one of the more reasonably priced lines), I'm going to have to give this a miss (although the sillage is excellent for a cologne-style fragrance).

Here are Eau d'Ete's notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: jasmine, lime, grapefruit, blood orange, cinnamon, balsam, musk.

Pour le Jeune Homme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

MPG's Pour Le Jeune Homme is a deliciously aromatic, herbal, citrussy fragrance and I can easily imagine it being worn by those handsome well-dressed young men that one sees living the good life in Ralph Lauren's clothing advertisements. It smells expensive in a understated, elegant way.

However (yes, there is a "however" to my review), I am sad to report that Pour Le Jeune Homme has no staying power at all. It lasted about 20 minutes on my skin, which is even less than its scent twin, Etro's Lemon Sorbet. And, as I pointed out in my review of Lemon Sorbet, if you like this style/smell of this fragrance then you can do much better with Roger et Gallet's Extra Vieille cologne. Extra Vieille is very similar to MPG's Pour Le Jeune Homme and Etro's Lemon Sorbet but Extra Vieille has better staying power and comes at a much more attractive price. Plus, Extra Vieille also comes in soap, shower gel, lotion, etc... if you really want to ensure fragrance longevity. Stylish bottle and label too.

Here are the notes of Pour Le Jeune Homme which I found up above in zztopp's review: Top: Bergamot, lemon, brazilian, orange; Middle: Neroli, rosemary, nutmeg, coriander; Base: Musk, sandalwood.

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

I tried Shalimar Light because it was described by several perfumistas on the MUA Fragrance Board as a "great citrus" fragrance and I love citrus. In fact, it is probably my single most favorite note in perfumery.

That said, I honestly felt a bit let down by Shalimar Light as it is not a citrusy or lemony perfume. Rather, as its name implies, it is a lighter version of Shalimar and has its recognizable sweet-ish oriental and sandalwood notes. I don't care for Shalimar and Shalimar Light is not much better. Tsk, tsk. A dash of orange flower does not a citrus fragrance make.

Here are Shalimar Light's notes as gleaned from the internet: orange flower lemon, bergamot, jasmine, rose de mai, opopanax, tonka bean, vanilla, iris, incense, ambergris.

Maharanih by Nicolaï

Maharanih opens up with intoxicatingly rich notes of orange flower, sandalword, amber and perhaps a wee bit of pepper. Its drydown is measured as one would expect from a well-made perfume and the middle to base notes emit a soft patchouli-like earthiness. Maharanih would be beautiful to wear in the fall. In fact, it is very much an autumnal perfume with all that that implies. If Maharanih were a color, it would be a deep luxurious russet. Lastly, if you like Maharanih, be sure to give Becker Eshaya's Golden Amber and/or 10 Corso Como a whirl!

Here are Maharanih's notes as shown on the Luckyscent website: Bitter orange, geranium, lavender, cinnamon, sandalwood and amber.

tacos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I had given up on this one. I tried to like it, but somehow it gave me a headache. I left the bottle untouched till my girlfriend tried it a few times and got compliments all over from other women. I was surpised, but when i smelled her i couldn't believe it. Opium pour homme was amazing on her...I guess it is a flagrance that you have to give time. Do not be turned off about the strong sharp smell right after you apply it. After some time the edges fade and then you will be rewarded. Opium pour homme still gives me some doubts when it comes out of the bottle but everybody around me seems to be crazy about it..

Chaleur d'Animale pour Homme by Animale Parfums

one of the worst green scents ever. very sharp and strong. smells like dog vomit and burning hay. terrible that's why it's so cheap. i got a used bottle on ebay for 7 bucks and that was too much. definately a repulsive and nasty scent here guys.

Déclaration by Cartier

if sweet wood is your thing then look no further. a subtle masterpiece with good sillage that will demand compliments. it does stick close to you which is the the only downside of a perfect classy everyday scent. not for clubbing but work and everyday. now i must try the other declaration's.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

one of the freshest and simpleist scents ever.very plain but catchy. good but not great but every man should at least sample it for yourself. i was lucky and won it in a raffle.great for summer and spring.

bbBD's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This is one of those fragrances that's been sitting on my shelf, and though I know I like it I never quite find the right day to wear it. To start off with, it's quite strong sillage wise, and the first time I wore it I OD'd, requiring a wash-off during my lunch break from work. Perhaps this soured me on wearing it for a while.

Having given it another chance today I remember why I liked it enough to buy it. As with other Gucci offerings, GPHII is fairly linear and serves as a great, wearable, all-day scent. My initial reaction is to the semi-sweet, strong floral violet note. The primary accord is a three way balancing act between this violet, (the strength of which subsides fairly quickly), cinnamon that provides sharpness, and a base of strong black tea. Secondary notes of musk provide powder and tobacco and woodsy notes lend depth. The tea/spice/violet mix lasts for hours (6-8) on me, and as I mentioned before, throws very decent sillage. As many as 12 hours after application I can still sense woods and musk lurking closely to the skin.

GPHII is definitely a 'try before you buy' because if you don't like it's sweet-sharpness there would be no compromising and 'sort of' liking it. This could comfortably be worn anywhere and in any weather, and as someone mentioned below, women seem to dig it. Thumbs up for Gucccccci!

bbBD's avatar

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

Heaven! Heaven in a bottle! This contains all the notes of the original, but with different emphasis (and because it's an EdP, better sillage and longevity).

The original has dominant heart notes of iris, cocoa, and vanilla with the more masculine notes of vetiver, patchouli, and leather lurking in the background, not particularly noticeable but clearly present to balance out the sweeter notes. Whereas the masculine notes provide balance in the original, they take on a more dominant role in the Intense version. The iris and gourmand notes are still present and dominant on application, but the base notes are immediately obvious, with a somewhat salty note (vetiver? patchouli?) competing with the iris notes for equal dominance. As with Dior Homme, this fragrance is very well blended and single notes, especially the base notes, can't easily be picked out.

Now that I've finally procured a bottle I must find another for safekeeping.

TWO thumbs waaaaay up!