Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Diego's avatar

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

A light scent, and another Eau de Cologne like the Tommy Bahamas tend to be. Doesn't seem to want to last quite as long as I'd like, but it's also hard to douse yourself in this to the point of being offensive.

The opening lime and mandarin actually struck me as grapefruit the first couple times I tried the scent (and they still do). Reminded me more of Issey Miyake than I expected, but though I'm not a big fan of L'Eau d'Issey, I actually find this pleasant. Otherwise seems fairly straightforward, with a clean watery, subtle violet sense settling in shortly thereafter. I don't get anywhere near the sense of rum from this as I do with the original Tommy Bahama Cologne Spray (which *really* conjures up a great dark buttery spiced rum for me).

All-in-all a very clean scent, great for casual, warm weather. Like the other Tommy Bahamas I've sampled, this is the kind of thing that I think would actually make a great soap, so it's no surprise to me when I see they actually make them. Definitely in the category of giving a clean smell where someone could have simply used a premium soap, and it doesn't scream "cologne" -- I tend to like scents that fit the category.

This is good, "clean," safe, and usable even on a daily basis, but doesn't impress me as much as the original Tommy Bahama Cologne. Think this one would go over better in warm weather and on a daily basis though, and dare say I might get some regular use out of it the remainder of this summer. Not shabby. Not mind-blowing, but not at all shabby.

mem33's avatar

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I too hope that a girl will forget that I am a guy, and give me an evening of enchantment buy waring a feminine fragrance

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

Narcisse Noir by Caron

I had heard a lot about this perfume, so started by getting some of the EDT. Pretty clouds of neroli, with a warmer drydown, but not lasting. Then I realised that there was an earlier incarnation and managed to get some from e-bay. What a difference! The two bear no resemblance. The original Narcisse Noir is dark, disturbing, edgy, elegant - altogether more complex and interesting. I smell pepper, copper, frankincense, lavender and bitter moss, with a later warmth of sandalwood. Utterly gorgeous. It reminds me of Le Dix by Balenciaga, not so much because of the scent itself but in terms of its individual and unexpected composition. Why Caron ever wanted to substitute the new formulation is beyond me. Get the original if you can; it's truly a unique perfume.

jalderwood's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten better reviews.

Since this is my first review, well-

Hello.

At this point in my fragrance reviewing career I will not attempt to talk about the notes and stages and technical aspects of the juice.

I went to the mall to buy Carolina Herrera 212 Splash. Instead I ended up leaving with Canali.

The instant I tested this one I began to fall in love with it. I sprayed it on and was in awe. I walked over to my lady and it had the same effect on her.

Sometimes when I'm out at a club there will be a fragrance in the air that has "CLUB LIFE" infused all through it. I liken it to the sum fragrance, to which everyone in the room has contributed. It's what democracy means to your olfactory.

Canali, for me, is what I want that fragrance to be. Complex. Edgy. Sophisticated. Subtle. Unmistakable, yet mysterious.

scentamenta1's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

It's interesting the way people perceive scent. I read the reviews for Lucky 6 and bought some only to be disappointed. I remember first smelling Agua Brava in 1971
    and loving it. I still have an old bottle with a few drops left in it and I still love it. Go figure. My signature scent for the last 10+ years has been Fahrenheit which is one of my favorites and is hands down widely liked by most people I come in contact with, women and men. I also love Pino Silvestre which I first smelled in 1974.

Edit Update 2/11/11: I have changed my rating of Lucky 6; having worn it for awhile I have grown to like it.

Update 8/4/12: I just ordered a spray bottle of Agua Brava. Maybe I loved Pino Silvestre in 1974 but after ordering a bottle, now I am horrified at how bad it smells. I'll stick with Agua Brava.

05 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 August, 2012)

iMaverick's avatar

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I bought this blind after reading positive regards to this scent. I'm a definite Amber fiend!

At first spray, there was barely any recognizable floral traces, perhaps the Magnolia, but nothing at all for anyone to be alarmed about to think this may be a flowerbomb. As a matter of fact, this can really come across as foody at first--creamy, I mean REALLY CREAMY. After an hour or so, you finally catch its woody nuances, I'm thinking cedar and patchouli. For a while I was thinking it would be one dimensional and solid like a piece of Werther's candy all the way, but when the woods make an appearance, the magic begins.

It really reminded me of the pastry like, creamy and ambery goodness of Serge Lutens' Douce Amere, though I find Douce Amere much more interesting and less "solidified". Sensuous finishes off with a vanilla-musk trail 6 or so hours later on me. I know I won't wear it too often for fear of gourmand cavities.

One spray will reveal its woody qualities and sensual warm tones. Two sprays or more will give you a sugary headache. Spicy nuances would've been great to add more dimension, like a chai tea note. You can't help but feel so relaxed and at ease with yourself wearing this. Definitely worth a try!

Tovah's avatar

Happy by Clinique

I like it a lot. I wore it on my wedding day, (it was brand new back then, so no one was sick of it yet). Happy is energetic, sparkling, fresh, and pleasant. Often I find myself complimenting others on their fragrance, which I find out is Happy. It smells quite different on others. My skin brings out the wood notes, but I smell the citrus notes on lots of other wearers. As long as it's not overapplied, Happy is perfect for any environment.

Tujorspret's avatar

Greenbriar 1968 by CB I Hate Perfume

The perfumer describes this scent as being..."blended with Sawdust, Fresh Cut Hay, Worn Leather Work Gloves, Pipe Tobacco and a healthy amount of Dirt. There is also a faint whiff of cotton overalls covered in Axel Grease..."

In fact, it smells like horse linament and/or hospital disinfectant.

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali pour Homme smells just like the mythical Babylonian beast, forget its name, that was supposed to be unwashed bull from the waist up and overripe persimmon from the waist down. He could neither walk nor roll and so tragically took his own life by chain-smoking and wearing too much Halston Z-14. With our modern knowledge of mythical composite creatures, I like to believe that he could now be saved. Alas, we are too late, and all we can do is write copiously and wear Salvador Dali pour Homme. Cruel isn't it?

Sandalwood Cologne by Geo F Trumper

The lemon-spice opening is pretty good. Lovely rich florals give this depth. The sandalwood starts off woody and tangy, and with the other ingredients it intially makes a dignified statement. But then the heavies (amber, leather, patchouli and particularly vanilla) kick in and highjack the scent. Where did the sandalwood go? This winds up creamy and luxurious, quite sweet and perfumed. Loads and loads of vanilla give this a foody sort of profile. Not my style at all. For the complete opposite – a lean, woody, austere sandalwood – try Santal by Melvita in its Soliflore line. That can be hard to find but is is worth the effort, I never grow tired of it. Whereas this Trumpers is a scrubber for me. A shame, because I love pretty much all of the ‘historical’ Trumper scents. But the modern ones don’t have the same character: perhaps in an attempt to have a unisex scent some of the masculine assertive flair has been lost.

Vetiver Ambrato by Bois 1920

Top: bergamot, lemon, petitgrain, cloves, geranium, artemesia
    Mid: patchouli, lavender, vetiver, sandalwood, cedarwood
    Base: tobacco leaves, musk, amber, vanilla, benzoin, labdanum, galbanum
    The citrus is absolutely invisible in the opening. I get rich and spicy cloves, and a bit of green artemesia. Then appear some good smoky and tangy notes of vetiver and lavender. I find this phase to be excellent. Then the vetiver reaches down and shakes hands with the amber. I’m not a fan of vanilla, amber or tobacco leaf. However, they are well done here, not excessive or cloying. This one is not my style, but I can appreciate it. Perhaps it is more suitable for a woman, in fact I think it would be quite attractive on the right woman. The dry-down is excellent, I appreciate the hint of dry and dusky-green galbanum.

Tabacco by Odori

This is gorgeous. Honeyed vanilla notes with tobacco are not my style, and yet I find much to appreciate here. The opening notes, although sweet, are not cloying. The impression is of a sweetly-scented tin of pipe tobacco that has just been opened. This is a very attractive, even sexy scent. The tobacco leaves are restrained and give a beautiful brown-leaf tang. Moving into its development, the scent displays luxurious incense and jasmine. The incense reminds me of myrrh, another sweet and perfumed aspect. Vetiver is mellow rather than grassy. So I have to say this is one of the best scents in the tobacco family that I’ve ever encountered. It is classy and compelling. My problem is that vanilla and tobacco just get sweeter and more opulent on my skin, and after an hour I grow weary of them. But this is truly a lovely scent, and I’d enjoy a romp with a lovely woman wearing it. So, a neutral vote but still appreciative.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Aoud Lime by Montale

As a child, I was fascinated by the rotting logs in the woods behind my house. I'd roll them over to find salamanders, snakes, fauna of all kinds. More often than not there were beautifully white lacy rotting bits colonized by ants, or termites, or something of that sort. Always there was a very distinct smell, not bad, not beautiful... very sharp, highly organic, like the distillation of all damp woodland nature into one astringent aroma... almost macabre. I loved it. Nothing has ever come close to this smell, and in fact I hadn't thought of it for a long while until I sampled some of the Montale Aouds. Aoud Lime comes very close to replicating this memory of scent.

It takes a very specific time for me to wear this, and I should add that if you are looking for a citrus aoud, hmmmm. I think this is lime in name only, and what you do have is an abstract rendition of citrus, not the specific thing itself. If this were a painting, I'd say it would be limes painted by de Kooning; beautifully done, almost barbaric... deconstructed and then re-assembled by a masterful vision. A challenge to wear, I find, but perfect and unavoidable when the time seems right.

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Too feminine, the black currant overpowers the pleasant teas scent, and yes it does have an inkjet toner like note in there somewhere too. Over-rated.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

This is an old style misty smoky sweet floral. I can get gardenias powdery and smooth as a top note. I do not think tuberuse is dominant over gardenia neither any other florals. In the middle develops woods like oak and sandal. My husband thinks it smells like guest room of his grandma. I can imagine it, oak or walnut solid furniture, soap washed sheets, pot full of blooming gardenias. It is nice but i would not like to smell that way.

06 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 November, 2009)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Petite Chérie by Annick Goutal

Opening the vial the peach aroma tickled my nose. In a few seconds after i applied it to my skin arose the rose. And in a few minutes these two combined with a grass note to be fresh cheerful tone. The chemistry should be playing a big role in reaction with this scent i think. It is very soft rosy nectarine on me. vodka? eh if you push it there is some but it is not too bitter or dry. It does not have the romantic magical aura tresor arouses with apricot and rose but still nice.

gerbert's avatar

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Oh great Andrew, I'm glad to hear another man say they like this. I gave a tester to my girlfriend and she never wore it. Since I absolutely love it, I took it back. I like to sneak a little dab on my wrists here and there. It makes me feel like I'm on a tropical vacation. A little goes a very long way with this one. Sexy time.

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Tried it in the winter and smelled tar and sweetness. Not unpleasant, but it did not develop. When I was cooking something with onions and Chinese spices, I found out it mingled well with the scent I was wearing. I had a bit of the sample left and decided I should probably try it again in spring/summer. I tried it again in spring and the combination of a tar smell and the sweet spices reminded me of a pancake restaurant in my hometown, which is located in an old ship. This makes this scent a bit of a gourmand for me that reminds me of a place which is 2 km from my home, instead of reminding me of far away deserts. The bitter tar note is a good counterpoint for the sweet spices and gives it the needed masculinity for me to be able to wear it. I think this scent is definitely on the masculine side of unisex.

I really like it and it is quite unique, but I don’t think I will buy a bottle of it. The problem is that I don’t see many situations were I could wear this one in public. For a day at home it is great, especially in the summer holiday. In a relaxed state of mind this scent is able to transport you to a time in the past and it has an adventurous feel to it. The tar note reminds me of wooden ships and brings to mind images of pirate films.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Good longevity, good projection here, but something here I dont like...I dont know what is.
    I m a guy who likes exclusives things, to feel important with a fragance. To buy an experience.
    With Dolce Gabbana I have a good cologne, but not that important feeling, confidence, sharpness,attitude. To be me, the one and only.
    Fresh, soapy and clean....whatever....but I feel like all people, not like a VIP.
    Not again.

Mr. Drax's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Crave by Calvin Klein

Unrefined, artificial soap water. No staying power whatsoever. No wonder it was discontinued. Thankfully the bottle I had was only a mini.

Pecota's avatar

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

I really couldn't tell the difference between this and the original Cool Water unless I tried them at the same time, but the frosted glass on the bottle felt good, at least. Not worth going out of your way to find, but a solid scent.

lizzie_j's avatar

Yria by Yves Rocher

Yes the lasting power is only an hour or two. Yes it's a little on the sweet side. Yes, this type of fragrance has been 'done' before, and Yria is not breaking any molds. Still, I LOVE it! It's a lively and warm flowery oriental. AND THE PRICE! Good grief--for the price it could smell a lot worse, and I would still love it. The bonus is that it's beautiful! I like to layer it with EL Pleasures. The combo is interesting and complementary.

lizzie_j's avatar

Eau Lente by Diptyque

When I tried Eau Lente it immediately became one of my favorite spice-centric fragrances. I find it truly unisex--neither overtly masculine nor feminine--and this characteristic alone makes it interesting to me. The spices are blended and soft, and include some of my favorites, including cardamom and cinnamon. Yes, it's a bit like my jar of garam masala, but when I sniff it (especially on my skin rather than from the vial or on paper) food is not the first, second or third thing that pops into my head! Instead I am instantly and acutely reminded of walking on the Boardwalk at Wildwood, New Jersey when I was a child!! There's a certain melancholic mixture of head shop/incense + ocean breeze + fudge shop + human musk + teenage girl fruity perfume that I never knew was emblazoned in my scent memory until now! Go figure. I must purchase this one, if for no other reason than to relive that memory from time to time!

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Signature / Kisu by Tann Rokka

I'm very confuzzled here

If I recall, luckyscent have three tann rokkas; aki, kisu and signature.
    I ordered a sample of aki, but when the sample arrived, nothing was written on the vial but Tann rokka....
    The smell was... nothig like what basenoters reviewed for Aki, but sounded much more like Kisu, so I'm not 100% sure what I am reviewing here.
    As for my experiance, the whole fragrance is....I mean....INTOXICATING!!!! If I might say without considering any sort of objectivity. I get something like a crimson coulored rose with a echo of unsweetned raspberry, always deep even from the right beggining. Then comes into place something my un-experienced nose associates with a chypre accord dominated with a huge beautiful musty patchouli ( I'm not so sure for the chypre thing since oakmoss is apparantly not listed among the notes, and I have never smelled isolated oakmoss extract... well well, I would need some more experience maybe ). This so-called chypre accord would be completed with cedar, gooood good cedar and musk. The only two things I'm sure about this fragrance is that is has patchouli and cedar. Humid, deep musty and oh-so-sexy patchouli. This one is very very adictive. And cedar. Rich and dry cedar. The dry down goes on FOREVER (was still very there on my shirt after washing it!). Their is something very strangely familiar when the drydown occurs; Cold salty ocean breeze meets the smell of your skin after you wash with some irish spring??..am I crazy or something? I guess ambregris would be logical but it does not explain the familiarity. It's like «oh, I've smelled this before » but on people who just don't wear perfume.....hmm strange thing!
    As for the whole juice, It's just great! Deep, Mysterious, Rich, Complex, Sensual and has this kind of Dirty/Clean duality that makes it just iresestible and very interesting. Three thumbs up! hehe
    Now the thing is I want to get myself a bottle but simply don't know which one to order... some more research maybe?

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Never before have I seen such a disparity between the published fragrance notes (copied below) and reality. Not that this a bad scent. I will join other reviewers in their positive comments on what is essentially a powdery old-timey barbershop post-shave refresher. Light florals with perhaps some citrus in the background are all I smell. A pleasant, clean smell that lasts an hour or so.

Fragrance Note(s): Sparkling Citrus, Bergamot, Green Notes, Waterflowers, Sheer Woods, Amber, Patchouli, Soft Mousse

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

Don't be fooled into thinking that this is anything like a contemporary citrus fragrance - its' not. The initial burst of citrus is balanced with rosemary and floral notes that keeps the citrus from being too sharp or bright. In fact, when I first put this on my skin I thought it was a spicy fragrance (the initial spice subsides a few minutes later). As mentioned below, the entire life of the fragrance is about an hour, but this is to be expected from what is titled 'cologne water'. Certainly worth a try!

from CM website: "Fragrance Note(s): Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Rosemary, Narcissus, and 27 other notes"

Newport (new) by Caswell-Massey

I'm with andrewthecologneguy on this one... perhaps it's because I'm not familiar with the original Newport, but I like the current version on its own. On first application I immediately drew the association with new fragrance, Ed Hardy for men. They both share a blended citrus/lavender/musk accord that is fairly linear. I don't have too much development on my skin, it just is what it is. Over 20-30 minutes the fragrance gets a little sweeter and little more musky, but for the most part the scent remains as it is on application.

A nice casual fragrance, worth a try if you come across it.

Fragrance Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Lemon, Green Notes, Lavandin, Geranium, Muguet, Rose, Amber, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Musk
    (from the CM website)

Roseblight's avatar

Flower by Cynthia Rowley

This is a beautiful light floral scent that I really love. I don't really have the olfaction and vocabulary to describe it well yet, but I want to say that it reminds me very much of water. I like this about it; it is a sweet floral but watery smell, like a garden that has a fountain or a pond. My one complaint is that it does not last long enough, EDP about 4-5 hours.

surreality's avatar

eo01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

eo01 starts off reminding me of a Lutens Bois fragrance; not any particular Lutens but just the general woody profile of these Lutens scents. There is a note that strikes me as waxy, like candle wax, that lasts maybe 10-20 minutes. At this point as the top notes give way to the heart, the woodiness is complimented by amber, which sweetens the fragrance and a touch of powder (iris and tonka?) that softens it nicely. The drydown, which to me is the best feature of this perfume, retains the woody notes of the top and heart with something animalic underneath that adds a degree of complexity. These animalic notes get more pronounced as the woods disappear, leaving behind a skin scent not unlike Escentual's Molecule 02.

This is a nice fragrance that is more on the masculine side of unisex. It lasts about 6 hours and while the opening notes do project fairly well after the first 20 minutes eo01 stays pretty close to the skin through out the rest of its development. Because it does stay close to the skin it wears well in warmer weather, but I think it smells more like a fall scent.

ToughCool's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I have to add my 2 cents just to be part of the crowd. I wore this in the 80s as a teen and that was just because people wore it then. I really don't get woodsy. I don't get anything but the same scent....and I tried it for kicks the other day, 20 years later...powdery, old, urine type smell. I'm not here to be mean. I'm not copying and pasting some reviews but it is there. It is a linear, powdery mess that reminds me of a school dance. I can't believe out of all 80s scents out there to love, many people chose this stuff. When I change my daughters diaper and then apply talc, this is what I get.