Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Organza by Givenchy

I am so glad I tried this on me today. Beautiful scent. It smells light and delicious and seems to suit me (a DARK complexioned 33 year old) nicely. I wish it wasn't so common; I'm pretty sure I smell this scent on someone almost everywhere I go.

Larry D's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

whoa! strong and long-lasting with a perfect balance of spice and sweetness. to my nose, it's not too much of either quality. this is a well-made, extremely good smelling, and distinct scent.

violetblack's avatar

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

This fragrance is very easy to wear for the woman who doesn't really like floral or fruity frags, yet doesn't want to smell like a spice box. I consider this scent to be glamorous, but slightly vapid. Sophistication bought rather than inherent...moneyed. I like it, it's a no-brainer. Sometimes, however, I prefer complexity. It doesn't smell like NR EDT--there's a rosey vetiver note in NR EDT that is completely lacking in Gucci by Gucci. If you like Very Sexy by VS, you might like this--neither are too anything.

Brit by Burberry

I agree with TurkishRose, it's nothing ''special'' to me either but it's a good everyday scent for the office, or for someone who doesn't necessarily want to make a statement. It's clean, fresh and comforting.

Teatro Alla Scala by Krizia

If you are the type of person who just bathes in COCO Chanel all year round, I suggest you try this fragrance, as it seems to have exactly the same spices & same intensity. I loved it for years then it disappeared for some reason. I'm glad to see it's still available. I had bought Coco Chanel to replace Theatro but I'll swich back!

Niki de Saint Phalle by Niki de Saint Phalle

I have bought this bottle on my last day of vacation in France... without even trying it on first (silly!) It was just one of those moments before you leave the airport and go back to real life...

I don't know if it's just my perception, but the smell of this perfume reminds me of my grandmother's purse, full of cheap perfume and stale lipsticks. It might be just my nose, mind you, but there's something extremely unpleasant when you just spray it on. An overwhelming smell that is so synthetic, next is the overpowering powdery flowers... Leave it on for a while before you leave the house, you might be killing something on the way out.

Not my forte.

magicpotion's avatar

Ysatis by Givenchy

This scent reminds me of the kind of woman I want to be. Intelligent, sexy, confident, warm. I LOVE it! My signiture scent.

soirdelune's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Well, I am interested to see that nearly all the reviews for AdP Colonia here are by gentlemen, as my lady wears this scent and she smells quite magnificent in it. Yes, with her, you certainly get that triumphant initial citrus blast, but this then settles into something quite dense, dark and herbaceous -- masculine, but fetching on a lady, nonetheless. Am also interested to read about the 'hyping' of this brand: I must say that she elected to buy this scent after having sniffed a large number of other colognes. Had it not been for her impatience, I would probably have bought her a bottle of the Chanel Exclusifs Cologne, which is sublime. AdP is an excellent substitute, nonetheless.

soirdelune's avatar

Soir de Lune by Sisley

My signature daytime scent ... narcissist, moi? A scent with a whole heap of glamour and gumption: audacious, elegant, complex -- not unlike its wearer! No, seriously, as a fair-skinned blonde, this is one of the few heavyweight scents I can truly pull off. It strikes just the right balance between the restrained sexiness of its rich rose and jasmine floral tones and the more sensual pepper, nutmeg and honey-musk notes beneath. Stupendously long lasting, reflected in its high price. I can also testify to its aphrodisiac powers: for ladies and lovers and lovers who love ladies!

Fortyteen's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I bought this as a cologne when I was 15 and hoped that the quality of the light, etheral and certainly not corporal scent would signify that I was a young woman of quality myself.

The opening notes faded quickly but the base scent held true for hours.

I would wear it again if I wanted to remember but not necesarily to be remembered. The competition these days wields a heavier blow than little Je Reviens.

laroche's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Too 'corporate' for my taste, lacking that hint of edginess I want in a fragrance. Unfortunately it does'nt do it for me, although I wanted it to.

06 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

CoL's avatar

Joop! Muse by Joop!

I'm totally in love with this stuff! Lovely muted fruity/floral/musk. Lasts and develops very well indeed. Seems this was never released in the UK. Notes from Osmoz

Top - Champagne accord, Cointreau

Mid - White lily

Base - héliotrope, white musc

CoL's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I didn't like this at all at first sniff, waaaaaaaaaay too much. Then I discovered the "La Cologne" which is much lighter. NOw I understand this one. You really need to let this one settle as it is very floral and too much at first to get a true picture of it. I have to say I really don't get any synthetic smell from it at all. I am led to believe that Gaultier fragrances have, by todays designer standards, a rather high percentage of natural oils. Not for a hot humid day unless you want people to pass out around you ;o)

Gerald's avatar

Germany Germany

Encens Chembur by Byredo

A very pale, somewhat watery incense scent for everyone who finds Bois d'Encens or any of the CdG incenses too strong and offensive. Almost zero sillage and very modest longevity. A big disappointment compared to the other partly beautiful fragrances in this line.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri

I AGREE 100% WITH TREBOR (REVIEW BELOW). THIS IS A GREAT SCENT...A NEW FAVORITE! FIVE STARS!

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Ladies love the EDP on me. The Sensuelle drydown reminds me of Dior's Fahrenheit 32 (they seem to have the same French vanilla note), but the latter may leave a more pronounced wake. Sensuelle is high quality stuff, but if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg, go for 32 instead.

vawallpa's avatar

Python Uomo by Trussardi

Hmmm, this is a rather unusual scent, still not sure if I like it or not after several wears. Its not unpleasant but doesn't wow me either. Its certainly got character with certain notes I don't think I've smelled before. Its worth a try, but not as a blind buy.

FloatingPoint's avatar

Shaal Nur by Etro

This has one of the most astonishingly beautiful and refreshing openings I've ever smelled. Citrus, vanilla, woods, and spices in an accord that is more than the sum of its parts. The dry down is not as breathtaking without the citrus to give it oomph, but is still lovely and mysterious, quite resistant to any kind of note identification--if you don't believe me, just look at the disparities in the notes below. The base certainly wouldn't meet any classical definitions of "masculine," but I also don't consider it any more feminine than a couple dozen other unisex niche fragrances, so I don't have any self-consciousness about wearing it. This baby is definitely going into rotation.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Daliflor by Salvador Dali

To me it was like a very watered-down version of Rosa Flamenca, seemed to be a sheer & watery rose/orange blossom blend. sweet, pink & light.. not me!

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Rosa Flamenca by Les Parfums de Rosine

oo I love this one! warm, rich & sunny blend of orange blossom & rose. not too sweet or high pitched, it's well-rounded & full in flavor, yes a little more sheer than I like.. but it's so lovely & comforting a smell to me so I just spritz a lil more often!

scentsitivity's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

It is interesting to see the clashing opinons on Ungaro III. A decent number of reviewers see this as dark or gothic. A lesser number characterize it in an opposite manner: light and bright. So what was the "creator's intent"? At the Ungaro website, I find the following description: "A fresh, light and sensual fragrance characterized by a woody spicy aromatic note." This is closer to my experience. Except I don't see it as especially sensual. No one has posted the notes, so here they are:

Head notes: Pepper, lemon, orange (warm and spicy)
    Middle notes: Geranium, patchouli (warm sensation)
    Base notes: Vetiver, sandalwood (woody and sensual)

It is interesting how many notes not given are perceived. And how others listed are not.

One should note similarities with Ungaro II. Both have the following notes in common: lemon, orange, geranium, patchouli and sandalwood. And when one smells Ungaro II and Ungaro III, it is obvious that they are "brothers". I do consider Ungaro II to be the more sensual of the two.

One thing I note in Ungaro III is not just the olfactory experience, but there is a sensation on the skin. Sometimes it is warm, other times cool. It is reminiscent of menthol or similar compounds. When I smell my skin, I get a cool sensation in my nostrils as well. I would characterize Ungaro III as bright and clean with an herbal/spicy character. The wood shows up later, but dimly. I think it is an okay scent, decent construction, but not exciting to me. I wish it were as sensual as advertised.

scentsitivity's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I wore Antidote several times and while I liked it, I was puzzled by this dense, complex fragrance. I certainly didn't feel capable of commenting on it. Then I smelled it on someone else, my youngest son (who loves it, I might add), was thoroughly impressed and most importantly it helped me develop a framework. I would characterize it as heavy, with a harsh edge, strongly masculine, sweet and having a barbershop character. Luca Turin, in the book "Perfumes: The Guide" uses the term "mutant lavender" to describe Antidote. He is focusing on one of the prominent synthetic armomachemicals, sclarene, which provides a long-lasting, airy, lavender-like scent. Turin critiques the use of sclarene here, because it doesn't match the heaviness of the scent (at least that is my interpretation of his comment). And I do agree in part. There are clashing elements in Antidote. For me, I find them puzzling to comprehend easily, but still I find Antidote to be enjoyable and stimulating. So I give it a thumbs up. I have a mini bottle and I am sure it will be adequate for infrequent use in the years to come.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

take the original Kouros, turn the volume down on all ingredients, swish it around in a glass from which you drank grapefruit juice, and voila, Kouros Sport.

I love Kouros, always have, most likely always will, and this particular one methinks is good. Personally, I find all of these neutered varietals of the original tasteful, marketable, yes safe, and fine if you collect fragrance. The drydown stays ever so slightly sweetened, yet not cloying. If it were to be found at a sale price, I'd buy it. Otherwise, Kouros Fraicheur (Amazing) would be more than good for me to own. Now THAT one, I'll not ever be without.

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Simple, smooth, elegant, and a true classic.

The opening is a little heavy but after a couple of minutes what is left blows away anything else close. GIT eat your heart out!

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Magnifique by Lancôme

I hate to say this, but: "Lancome continues it's trend of marketing 'turnips'!" This scent was so sickly sweet, it was depressing. The only thing I can compare this scent to would be one of those cherry flavored cough syrups; it had that overly sweet feel to it, which is not pleasant at all. I was hoping that the newest release from Lancome would be a throwback to some of their older, elegant scents, but alas it continues down the sickly gourmand path. I am truly disappointed with Lancome, and have given up hope that they will ever release anything ' magical' again.

Regis Philbin's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This is definitely a scent to wear for the ladies, not your own enjoyment. Girls are in LOVE with the scent. Take these reviews with a grain of salt - by no means does this scent deserve a thumbs down. Why? It's such a neutral of a scent - that I find it hard to believe anyone actually finds it "bad". It just doesn't make much scents(har har har)!

finisterle's avatar

North Korea North Korea

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

It's refreshing and unpretentious. It's a train station in the morning. It's a pilot going through a check list. It's a baker or construction worker who are too busy being the salt of the earth to have time for bizaar hobbies. It is real. It smells "monday" in
    a way that makes Rive Gauche look like a drag queen on stilettos. It can walk up to any frag and say "and how are you contributing exactly ?" I just bought a bottle again and keep splashing it on, totally ignoring everything else on my shelf.

Aoud Lime by Montale

Aoud Lime: smells like BA, but the difference is how the saffron-rose duo jams with lime, oudh and other woody notes...i find this one more enjoyable and exciting all the way from start to end. the addition of Saffron changes the approach and adds a lil bit of sweetness to the entire mix, bringing out the best from Rose. again, if one removes the oudh frm this, it'll be a different frag altogether in comparison to BA. BA with its heavy dose of oudh, leather and patchouli is a different beast altogether but aoud lime stands head strong. there would be days when you woudl go for this and not the BA

Fougères Marines by Montale

Fougeres Marine: it's pretty clear that Montale had GIT as an "inspiration" for this one. im not atall indicating this smells alike but, one cant help but think that hey, this is such a nice interpretation of GIT. this is obviously done in a very Montale way..

Inspite of having Erolfa and GIT, I would still buy this gem coz it doesnt smell like any of those. there is a very cool mineral water feel to it.. like clean transparent approach...as if this is what silver mountain water should have actually smelled.. it doesnt exactly remind me of the sea..ocean breeze..hmmm well.. i cudnt picture it. im surprised by how underrated this gem is. this ones clean, fresh, out of the shower kinds with a very interesting interplay of notes to keep you busy all the way till it ends. this one is a definite must buy for me.

Royal Aoud by Montale

if one has to be introduced to oudhs, i think this would be the safest way to do so. Royal Oudh is well, Royal. a very familiar smell (kumquat), sweetened by grapefruit, its sweet to an extent, but its stops way before one would call it fruity or gourmand. i really loved the opening notes of this one. makes one feel like one of those rich sheik arabs. the oudh in it is massaged in the background with slightly sweet fruity notes along with rich spices...the oudh is very much put in background and acts as a rock solid base for other top and midnotes...the whole balance of this frag amazes me..to see how the intensity of the oudh is controlled from top to midnotes is to be witnessed...its only in the base tht the oudh and some kinda chilli notes rule the roost..giving us a totally different frag that it was in start.....overall, worth sampling.