Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Zilpha's avatar

Chaldée (original) by Jean Patou

According the the Limited 'Ma Collection' by Jean Patou's accompanying booklet, Jean Patou invented sun tanning lotion in 1927 and this was the fragrance used for it.

And that's exactly what Chaldee smells like - suntan lotion.

1916 by Myrurgia

'1916' evokes very dear childhood memories to me, since it was the 'eau de cologne' of choice for my beloved grandmother. It is most definitely a unisex fragrance, and several (young) friends of mine use it in Madrid. It is fresh, citric and not cloying. Most definitely thumbs up from Oscar.

JF by Floris

Floris JF has been my Floris fragrance of choice for quite some time. There is something profoundly dignified about JF that is difficult to put into words. Time and again I have been complimented by males and females alike. I have yet to find someone who dislikes the unique JF signature. Sheer class.

No. 89 by Floris

To my taste this is a slightly dated scent, one that does not appeal to my taste. Not too strong but with an odd lingering note. Definitely wearable but I would agree with some of the other comments in the sense that it is more likely to suit an older clientele. I heard that Floris was going to discontinue it before long.

Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez

What a discovery. Without doubt one of the best Vetyvers I have ever smelt, and without the price tag of some of its peers. It is distinctive, masculine, classy and can be worn all throughout the year. A winning proposition.

latuli's avatar

Venezuela Venezuela

Femme de Montblanc by Montblanc

I think is a nice perfum not to sweet not to strong, better to use during the day stay all day long.

Arpège by Lanvin

To me it is sophisticated and timeless. It could be worn by a young, old fashioned girl or a mature woman. There is none of that old grandmother scent here. A scent to be worn when making an understated but flawless impression is needed. It would be a great scent for a long trip where you had to pack light because it will grow on you and is suitable for all kinds of activities.

Eau Fantasque by Fragonard

This is my favorite Fragonard scent. The name is perfect. A fresh floral with grapefruit. I doubt it is one that men will think is sexy; my husband has never commented on it at all. But it never fails to up lift me.
    To wear it is to be in love with life.

Rêve Indien by Fragonard

I have an older friend and this scent really suits her. It is a strong scent like Shalimar and it is the only perfume she wears that I like on her. I don't think it is suited to the eau de toilette and that is the only version that sell on line right now. I would consider this for my mother and I think it would make any older woman ( 60s on up) feel beautiful. It would be wasted on the young.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

I love so many Guerlain scents (Mitsouko, L Heure Bleue, Shalimar) but this one is the exact smell of a grandmother going out for dinner (died black hair, high heels, and red lipstick) I had forgotten all about the smell until I smelled this scent. It took me back to my childhood and a room full of great aunts. For the trip back in time I am thankful but I can't imagine who would want to smell like this. Usually I love scents that have stood the test of time. But this was not one of them.

I wrote the first paragraph a couple years ago based upon a eau de toilette spray. None of that applies to the perfume. The perfume is subtle and deep. It is everything great that the reviewers that like the scent say about it. I have never experienced such a great difference between the different versions of a scent before. I love this perfume and hate the bitterness of the sprays.

07 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2013)

kbe's avatar

Jean Pascal by Jean Pascal

Maisonstinky's site review of Jean Pascal Edt states that the following notes appear:

Top Notes:
    bergamot, pineapple, herbal essence

Middle Notes:
    lavender, jasmine

Basenotes:
    musk, wood, amber, moss

This one starts out sweet and spicy and evolves quickly into an arrestingly smooth and muted floral of considerable depth. The finish shows a background of the floral notes but now interwoven with an earthy, musky framework. Longevity is about 5-6 hours on me but it lingers faintly on for as many hours more.

Altogether a classy fragrance I feel quite comfortable in, and one I can be reasonably sure no one else would be wearing to an upscale cocktail party. Nice.

07 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

CoL's avatar

Roadster by Cartier

Very nice scent but not terribly original. More Tom Ford than L'Instant pour Homme to my nose, but thats the point, it smells to much like both of them!

Still, yet another Cartier hit. Fresher than the two fragrances mentioned above, most likely due to the mint in the top, and the bottle is truly outstanding!

JaimeB's avatar

Iris Bleu Gris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A bit sweet, a bit powdery, but not too much of either. Others have mentioned that the drydown is awesome, as it indeed is. Personally, I don't find the opening at all taxing to my nose. I enjoy the whole journey. It is a bit dressier than some others, but nothing you couldn't wear on a day off for a little excusion to someplace nice and fun. This may be elegant, but it's far from stodgy!

Stu's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I wore this for awhile and then stopped all of a sudden and decided I just didn't much care for the scent as much as when I first purchased it. Not really unpleasant but it still sits on the bureau gathering dust. I haven't decided if I will wear it again. I for some reason think I smell sorta funky when I wear this for some odd reason. Don't quite know how to explain it but I just decided one day I didn't want to wear this one anymore and have more than half a bottle left. Won't buy again.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Envy for Men by Gucci

It's warm and woody and quite (almost a bit too) sweet, yes, but what makes it stand out is the distinct ginger note. Mmmm. The drydown is rather odd too: it smells like stale pond or lake or swamp water, quite rich and a little decaying. I haven't smelled anything so spot-on for water since Sel de Vetiver!

Aiona's avatar

Sugar Cookie by Demeter Fragrance Library

It definitely smells like sugar cookies, but not the way I make mine. Everyone has their own recipe for sugar cookies. Demeter makes theirs with ginger and cardamom and a little lemon zest, in addition to the requisite vanilla. I agree with previous reviewers that it's not a burnt cookie smell. It's definitely a citrusy fresh cookie smell. It's an alcohol 'fume, not an oil, so there's a bit of sharpness at first, which I didn't like. As someone mentioned, sometimes I just want to smell cookies, but I don't want to smell *LIKE* one. This perfume fits the bill.

tnamey's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This fragrance has two directions: The initial "hit" which is overbearing, earthy, mineral, and harsh orange. This melds into wonderful drydown smelling of rich earth (humous), leather, and tangerine. The fragrance lasts forever in it's transition to drydown.. Very sophistacted, as noted by others, and quite sensual...almost too sensual for office wear. (I still use it there!) I think this is a unique fragrance which still is not in wide-spread use, except by afficianodos. A very fine scent. I like this one.

atrac's avatar

DK Men Unleaded by Donna Karan

While DK Men Fuel tops my list of favorite colognes, DK Unleaded doesn't make my top 10. It's a nice cologne to be sure, but it's missing the notes that make DK Men Fuel the classic that it is.

DK Unleaded is sold as a "Bracing Skin Spray," and honestly I'm not quite sure if that's an EDT or Cologne, or neither. At any rate, it doesn't last nearly as long as DK Fuel, so I'm guessing that it possibly approaches the concentration of a body spray (?).

The smell reminds me a lot of a men's facial scrub product, specifically one that I used to buy from Bath & Body Works in the early to Mid-90's (and long discontinued as well).

I have a 1.7 oz bottle of this and honestly just keep it because it's related to DK Fuel. But I'm not in a rush to wish or campaign for a re-release.

DK Men, on the other hand....it deserves it's recent relaunch!!!

xnyorkr's avatar

Gucci No. 3 by Gucci

I think more than anything in the world, I want more Gucci No. 3. Well, OK, beside world peace and an end to environmental pollution. It used to be all over the place in the 80s. Now it is one of the hardest perfumes I've ever tried to find. It is a perfect green mossy chypre, not as dry as Jolie Madame or pungent as Dioressence. In fact, there is nothing that really smells like it in my opinion, but I've been told Trussardi does. It comes in a classy bottle with an art deco sprayer. Really, it is so lovely. As to why they discontinued it, I am stumped.

Brielle87's avatar

France France

Turquoise by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

A wonderfully romantic floral with a sweet edge to it. It is a great fragrance to wear if you like a floral that tends not to be too sophisticated. It is a terrible shame that this is no longer made, it was a perfect scent to wear on a casual day; it makes you feel polished.

Aoud Ambre by Montale

Opens with a blast of sweet, medicinal notes of oudh, the oudh used here is kinda new to me of what i have tried so far from the montale line. i also detect bit of incense in this one...and by far this one has to be the Woodiest Montale that i have tried. it maybe the true form of Amber which is painting this Image of smelling the open part of a freshly chopped tree. half an hour into this and it turns in to a slightly sweet and smoky then progressing in a freshly made Amber notes reminding one of the amber base in Amber Sultan. the only difference is the presense of oudh, which doesnt really try to the the stage. is humble enuff to take the supporting role and walk away with the best supporting actor in this film. for anyone who is looking for a Amber based scent with more than one twist, look no further. as obvious, this one is not out there to impress anyone, it's a very pleasant amber based scent that could be easily worn by either sex. the base is pretty light compared to Montale standards. very comforting and cozy for Winters. i think it;ll shine in winters sitting by the Bonfire. for one of those days when you dotn want the Oudh to overwhelm but at the same time, be there for you. very close to a Thumbs up..

Sandalsliver by Montale

Sandalsliver: wow! this ones massive! the immediate thought that comes to mind (for topsnotes) is a ingredient called Gulkhand(it's made of fresh rose petals+powdered sugar+honey+lime), we use it here to make sweet paans.. though the composition may sound too sweet but, its not, the overall aroma that this exudes is just addictive. the opening notes smells like that...it stays there for 30-45 mintues then moving in a wonderful composition of sandalwood oil, musk and vanilla but, Sandalwood takes the spotlight away pretty easily.

White Musk by Montale

Sexy or what!! this ones damn cool!! and by no means it's feminine..i mean ladies can wear it, but so cud a guy carry it off easy! the way it makes me feel is -> "smiling fresh"! damn good stuff! a must try for everyone who appreciates fresh, tranparent, uncomplicated version of Musk based scents!! Vijay!! where art thou!!

Vetiver des Sables by Montale

opens with a burst of Iodine based oinment which i didnt like a bit..it has that athlete rub ointment kinda feel...smoothens out after 45 minutes with some mild hints on vetiver, i dont get an woody notes atall..i would be curious to know everyones thought on this. this one didnt impress a bit.

Blue Amber by Montale

as the name suggest! this one has a note which is quite linear and evokes different shades of Blue. it's has a very use of bourbon the way its used in By Kilian..this ones smooth (like Iris) to the extent of being very fluid in its sillage. it's only in the midnotes that the Patchouli and vetiver adds a sexy bite to the top notes on a base of one of the most beautiful Amber accords ever. this ones easily one of the best amber scents around. only word of caution is that, this may smell pretty linear till midnotes and only during close inspection would one realise the action thats actually taking place. 50 ml would be the best buy so that you dont get bored of it and come back to it in time..

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Unforgivable by Sean John

Quite fruity! On my skin it is a light scent that does not last very long. It’s more fruity than fresh and I have a hard time finding the aquatic notes some other reviewers mention. Unforgivable is nice, but without personality. Totally inoffensive, but at the same time totally forgettable. And I agree with tdrps that Unforgivable smells girly and not really masculine. Still, I think it is quite a decent fragrance for casual occasions and is probably more suited for younger persons. The fruity notes of Unforgivable somehow just never feel quite right on my skin and when I’m in the mood for casual-fruity-fresh-aquatic, I would prefer Acqua di Gio over Unforgivable.

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Fleur d'Eau by Rochas

This is one of the best light, fresh, summer fragrances out there. I feel the green notes first then I start to feel the fruity notes of melon and something like apricot, but it is not sweet at all..
    Whenever I wear this I get tons of compliments from the people because it is something that is never overwhelming and too sweet.. Staying power is not good but it is still very nice and comforting scent so I can afford it!

Aysu's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

When I first tried this scent I fell in love with it and bought it immediately in duty free. It felt sooo classy, with citrus and flower notes and it is definitely a high class scent. But after the drydown I started to feel the leather notes which generally makes me sick.. I wish the leather notes would not be so strong in this scent.. This nice feminine perfume turned into a sharp men's cologne on my skin..

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Cassis Rose by Body Shop

Hmmmm. Thought I loved it, went through most of a bottle, and now can't really stand it. A very sweet, tangy rose, much too much of both aspects. No depth, but massive stayingpower, ie. it does not leave, ever. But it also doesn't dry down, so if the opening notes bother you with their sharpness, you'll be bothered for many hours. Nope, the somewhat lacklustre perfumery powers of Body Shop do not get better with time.

dpak's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Odd notes of ink and tarnished silver cascade across a breeze of weak tea and faint blackcurrants. A light scent with little longevity.