Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I smell patchouli and roses. Has a strange urine-like note right there in the beginning but it's easily ignored. Though, the rest of it is dark, woody and surprisingly masculine. The rose smooths everything. More of a night-out scent. It's good but not my style at all.

On El by J del Pozo

Short burst of pine in the beginning and then.... nothing. Kinda sweet otherwise. It dies really fast on my skin.

Jil Sander Man Pure (new) by Jil Sander

This is what the exosphere would smell like. A dissolving limpid vanilla and tepid sandalwood.

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

I've tried a few other Ferrari's and Black was pretty good. This one speaks like a Polo scent, has a very strong honey-like pine note in the middle but very refreshing. Slightly on the sporty side. Very nice stuff.

Do Son by Diptyque

Yup, tuberose. No doubt about it. Looking for a tuberose scent? Have some Do Son, it's got tuberose! Well.... at first. It dries up before it gets the chance to blossom. It's more like a cube of tuberose instead of the more open and oval shape I envision tuberose scents to be.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

This smells more like tea than the other in the series. In fact, it's almost pure tea with figs thrown in. Less in aldehydes than Blanc which was very pale. Tea reminds me of being sick since the only time I ever drink tea is when I catch a cold or am really run down. This is nice but I wouldn't want to smell like a stale tea bag.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Nice and straightforward. Milky, fruity sweetness. It's not very fresh to me, feels a bit on the heavier side.

Bigsly's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Sort of like a dried out version of Opium ("women's"), or even Stetson! I think of it as a potato skin that was left out in the sun to get totally dried out. Now add that to a fragrance like the women's Opium and it's close to this. I also get a kind of peanut butter quality too, but just the slightest hint. I don't really find this to be especially interesting or pleasant, but it's unique enough to earn at least a neutral. If I were to take price into account, I'd rate it as negative. One thing I don't find this to possess is what I call "internal dynamism," and since it's an oriental, you will not get much development over time either. It just sort of lies there, being strange and perhaps hinting at something pleasant now and then, but never really getting there. Was it meant to have this teasing quality? don't get clear cedar, vetiver, or citrus (I did try to avoid top notes, however). Instead, the notes that stand out for me are: "dirty" jasmine, dried potato skin, spices, amber, and vanilla. Perhaps a combination of vetiver, cedar, and incense comes across as dried potato skins to me.

My "newbie" review:

In trying to conjure up an image for this fragrance, it struck me that if I took a potato skin, rubbed some spices on it, sprayed it with some sort of scented cleaning fluid, then let it dry out in the sun for a week or so, this is what would result. It's interesting, but I can't say it's pleasant. I prefer something like Witness instead, which is a lavender/cinnamon with a dusty quality, if I'm looking for something along these lines. It's well done, no doubt, but I can't help comparing to others, and while I'm wearing this, wishing I was wearing something else.

08th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th May, 2010)

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain

Nerver heard of this stuff until I tried it on paper at the guerlain «institute»...how snobish. I wasn't overwhelmed with the first few whifs I gave it, but on the way home, I smelled a few (of the many) paper strips I kept in my handbook. Philtre d'amour realy shows it't true sensuality only after the fresh citrus top fades away. You see i'm quite new to the world of fragrances and I kinna get mixed up trying to figure out the notes in perfumes. By example, I tend to see patchouli where their is apparently none... But gees, the only thing I figured out of Pd'A was the citrus top, something something, and a VERY seductive patchouli. Trying not to get influenced by the name of the perfume, I think that the patcouli note (and the whole fragrance for that matter) is extremely sensual and perhaps romantic like some people said.
    two thumps up, well made... and smells appealing to me ;)

Niksan's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

One of my favourites for cold weather, but I would not wear it when it is even slightly hot outside. However, the true champion is the oil based NR Musk for Him. Rounder, deeper, softer; and closer to the skin than NR for Him. Sad to say, but since I bought NR Musk for Him, I hardly touch my bottle of NR for Him. The Musk is pure perfection.

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

It's always amazing to smell a perfume that blows you away the first time you smell it and sends you running to check the full bottle price online. That happened to me with Armani Prive's Pierre de Lune, Dior's vintage Diorling, Dior's re-issued Diorama and now this quirky little fragrance, Escentric 01.

With Escentric 01, I get a rush of lime and pepper in the top note which then morphs into a lovely yet exciting warm vetiver/wood fragrance that is somewhat indescribable. Escentric 01 comes closest in smell to Ormonde Jayne's Isfarkand but Escentric 01has a touch less pink pepper and a bit more metallic/cedar in the middle and base notes. Escentric 01 also doesn't last as long on my skin as Isfarkand although I've read that on others, it comes and goes in waves. The last thing I should say about Escentric 01 is that apparently 65% of it is a synthetic aroma chemical called "ISO E Super" which is a base for a lot of fragrances made today. It kind of bummed me out to hear that my new love is mainly artificial but I think I'm just going to have to get over my prejudices. It is just too darn wonderful!

Here are Escentric 01's notes, per The Perfumed Court: wood, sweet pink pepper, lime peel, and orris incense.

Salt Air by Demeter Fragrance Library

Demeter's Salt Air is a light feminine fragrance that has marine notes as well as musk which gives it that “soapy clean” aspect that so many people seem to love. At the risk of being completely unoriginal, it is a pleasant little perfume that is best suited for the summertime and being outdoors. Also, you can’t go wrong with Demeter’s low prices. The only drawback to Salt Air is, of course, that Demeter perfumes have notoriously short lives although this one has better sillage than most. For those of you who know the CB I Hate Perfumes’ line, Demeter Salt Air is a kissing cousin to CBIHP’s Mr. Hulot’s Holiday. Salt Air would be a great gift for a teenaged girl that wants to smell "clean" or for a new mother that doesn’t want to wear heavy fragrances around her baby.

Here are the notes: marine, ozones, white floral, musk, driftwood, salt.

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

PG's Bois Blond is a rich leather fragrance that features galbanum, as well as a touch of sweet-smelling hay. Somehow I get a slight feel of it being an “oriental” type scent which is probably due the amber that forms the backbone of Bois Blond. It is not as sickly sweet as Serge Luten’s Daim Blond (thank goodness!) nor does it have the delicacy of Armani Privé's Cuir Amethyste, and neither does it have the spiciness of Etro’s Gomma. Rather Bois Blond is an understated scent that when it dries down, it smells like a very expensive suede shirt in the palest shade of cream. Of all the scents I have smelled, I think this is closest in style and smell to Heeley’s Cuir Pleine Fleur. While I would not buy Bois Blond for myself, I can appreciate that it is a very well-made leather perfume.

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: galbanum, blond tobacco, amber, cedar, musk, cereals, grass and hay.

Kaern's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This is a lovely rendition of the orange leaf resin with a slightly musky / woody drydown. The value for money aspect forces me to give a neutral though. There are equally superb orange blossom scents out there at a fraction of the price.

Kaern's avatar

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Give this scent five minutes and you are in for a treat. It's cedarwood essence at best though -- the tuberose dominates along with a lovely sensual amber. The sillage is fine and the longevity outstanding. I think this is now my favourite of the SL range that I have tried. Probably better for cooler months.Beautiful.

peanutfiend's avatar

Pulp by Byredo

I put a little Pulp on my wrist while in the car and the interior was filled with scent for hours. Very compelling, very look-at-me. This is one of the few perfumes where I can actually distinguish between a top note (to me, floral, and it sits in the back of the nose) and a base not (to me, citrus/sour and it sits in the upper throat).

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Salvador Dali by Salvador Dali

This 2' bottle of Salvador Dali (black lips) has floated around with me from various apartments and finally to my permanent home since the late 80's. Back then, I was primarily collecting perfume for the bottles. As an artist I was happy to have this bottle since I had studied Dali's work in my college art history class and knew it was his design. I had never attempted in all the time I owned it to get acquainted with the scent inside until recently. I have Basenotes and its contributors to thank for teaching me how to fully experience scents and helping me to discover the many treasures I had right under my nose if I would have just opened the bottles (vintage Jicky and Shalimar among them), dabbed some on and patiently waited.

A few weeks ago I decide to try this and was so surprised by how beautiful it is that I could have kicked myself in the head for not trying it years ago. The opening notes are very floral which I'm usually not a fan of, but this is so well done that I can more than live with it. The sillage at this point is good, so a little bit goes a long way. As it starts to dry down the flowers seem to make a rapid exit and I start getting notes of rich leather and dark tea even though these notes are not listed in any description of this perfume's composition that I've found.. Eventually the tea recedes and the leather note becomes more prominent and the scent seems to stay like this for a while, which is great because I'm crazy about leather notes. At this point it smells quite similar to the leather in Bal a Versailles. In the extreme drydown stage the tea note comes back again and that's what's left as you wake up and smell your wrist the next morning. This scent is gorgeous! My bottle is old and tiny, so my fear is that I may run out one day soon if I keep wearing it the way I have been and when I attempt to replace it, the only thing that will be available will be a, most likely, reformulated and watered down version.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This was a blind buy for me. I honestly thought that if a fragrance was sooo highly rated, that it must be great. So I bought a small bottle of it and I was quite surprised. This fragrance was created for the European consumer in mind. US consumers hate fragrances that create controversy and aren't quite pleasant or clean. Kouros does indeed smell like urinal cakes by US standards and nothing more. I gave this fragrance an honest try....tried to take the higher route in the sake of art and fragrance, but I can't get past the dirty scents that this fragrance creates. I might not be sophisticated enough to appreciate this fragrance, but perception is everything....and the perception I've received from this fragrance is that I smell like an airline bathroom or like urinal cakes. My wife even makes fun of me if I try to wear this fragrance by calling it the urinal cake fragrance.

The US market is just note "sophisticated" enough for this one. Maybe if I was a little more seasoned in the field of fragrances I could appreciate it, but it certainly isn't for me.

Sorry....Thumbs down.

08th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 03rd July, 2009)

MFJ's avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Citrus and apples, but mainly apples - do not expect the smell of real apples. The dry down is predictably a mild woody accord.

08th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29th October, 2009)

Dr Mu's avatar

Aoud Lime by Montale

The opening is huge and pungent, medicinal, almost iodine. Then a note emerges which reminds me hugely of Turkish delight - which I take to be chiefly the rose. I don't find any lime here, unless it is that here the rose and lemon of traditional Turkish delight is here subtly rose and lime. This mixes with the pungent notes in such a way that the overall effect is like eating Turkish delight washed down with a very peaty Islay malt - Laphroaig or a very aged Caol Isla.

As time goes on (and it really does last) the phenolic element die away and the rose/patchouli accord dominates, no longer Turkish delight. A rather dusty, musty rose, slightly oppressive.

I have to admire this fragrance for its grandeur, but it's not really something I would want to wear very often. I would class it as masculine rather than unisex.

drummerboy20's avatar

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

I tired this the other day, And it saddens me I think I found something that is going to replace Issey Miyake for me. At first that's what I thought, but have to agree, it's chalky smell is a little "different".. Nevermind

08th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th July, 2009)

TheAttorney's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

WTF another citrus aquatic scent; please stop it i have had enough!! Nice scent but man; smells like everything else out there. Very similar to Givenchy Pi Neo which is also a citrus aquatic. As a lover of Versace, esp. Dreamer im disappointed.

visionairy's avatar

Abercrombie & Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

I can hardly believe they discontinued this stuff. Spicy and I guess the best way i'd describe it is very warm & wintery. Maybe a bit teeny bopper but what the heck, who doesn't want to be 18 again? Girls dig it too, isn't that what matters?

elizabethsuzette's avatar

Rouge by Christian Lacroix

I like this one. It's a bit spicy and a bit sweet. It's sophisticated, but doesn't smell stuffy, elderly or overpowering. I find the scent quite alluring, and I can't stop sniffing myself when I'm wearing it!

Oscar39's avatar

Spain Spain

Special No. 127 by Floris

This fragrance may have worked at the turn of the XXth century but it is so cloying and outdated as to be simply unwearable (at least by a man) today on an everyday basis. Having said that, it is of course interesting from a historical point of view since it allows us to see how fragrances and consumer tastes have evolved in the past 100 years. No 127 was worn by the great Noël Coward and Argentina's Eva Peron amongst others.

A thing of the past.

F.X.F's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

michael kors for men.. it has good reviews, but I must say I am quite disappinted with it. long lasting? not at all. fragrance too simple. so, i am definetly not a fan of this perfume...

08th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 27th February, 2010)

Love's Baby Soft by Love's

I love this fragrance! It is light & airy which is perfect for warm weather. I never wore it as a young girl but after hearing so much hype about it from so many I people decided to go out and buy a bottle. I chose the body mist instead of the body spray and fell in love with Love.

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

This is a VERY strong fragrance. It is actually a nice scent as long as you don't go overboard with it. My favorite Tommy scent for ladies is Dreaming, his newest perfume.

New Musk for Women by Prince Matchabelli

I personally am not a fan of this one. I can't quite put my finger on it but this smells almost identical to a designer fragrance. I might be confusing it with another one but my guess is Vera Wang. I have definitely smelled this on others and they seem to love it. I prefer something with a fresh scent so clearly this is not for me.

Envy Me 2 by Gucci

I love this scent. It is one that I could wear day or night. I've been wearing this for a couple of years and have not grown tired of it. I seem to always come back to this after experimenting with new scents.