Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Envy Me 2 by Gucci

I love this scent. It is one that I could wear day or night. I've been wearing this for a couple of years and have not grown tired of it. I seem to always come back to this after experimenting with new scents.

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Violet by Marc Jacobs

This is one of my favorite scents from Marc Jacobs. I wear this almost everyday and always get compliments on it. It strikes me more as a spring fragrance rather than autumn because it is light enough for me to wear on warm days. It is a light and airy scent that is sure to please the nose.

Marc Jacobs Autumn Splash Amber by Marc Jacobs

This is one of my favorites. I always get compliments on this whenever I wear it. It definitely has a sensual feel to it. The perfect pefume for a night out. I love that it comes in such a large bottle especially since I can't find it anywhere now.

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Had the "pleasure" of trying this today. Utter synthetic CRAP! I can't remember being so disapointed in a launch in my life! I could have smashed the bottle against the wall! Pity it is a very cool bottle but the fragrance is "extracting the urine". Starts of with a very cheap synthetic citrus folowed by a chea synthetic burst of vetiver then coffee wood, also very cheap and synthetic. See the running theme here!?

AVOID, cheap and synthetic crap!

CoL's avatar
    CoL

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

See my review of the standard Play and add some more coffee wood. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!

Dry_Martini's avatar
    Dry_Martini
    Spain Spain

Brummel by Antonio Puig

great fragance,80's stuff is calling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Lagerfeld Classic by Lagerfeld

A woody oriental of the "old school" that inspires hatred in some and admiration in many others. Opinion is divided on whether this smells "masculine" or "feminine," and that may well show how subjective those notions can be. This is not something I would wear very often; I have to admit that at one stage, it reminds me of the smell of a childhood closet. Well, that's pretty subjective and idiosyncratic, too. Basically, this is a complex blend and ends up being pretty satisfying, especially as far as longevity and sillage go. A snapshot of the past? Maybe that's why it's called Classic.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Magazine Street by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Magazine Street is the kind of fragrance that makes me remember why I fell so in love with perfumes in the first place. It's an olfactory incarnation of how life really smells, if you're lucky. I haven't yet been able to visit New Orleans after Katrina's devastation. New Orleans was one of the most fascinating, and definitely the most haunting, preternatural city I've ever visited. I could almost see the ghosts of Lestat, and Ignacious Reilly, and Blanche Dubois in the gardens, and the cemeteries, and wandering the balconied streets. Magazine Street, in its current paradigm, is an enchanting shopping area filled with antiques, artisan jewelry, excellent cafes, and comforting spas. Magazine Street was not completely destroyed by Katrina, so in the aftermath of the hurricane, "the show went on", allowing the city to have at least a little bit of economic recovery, and a lot of inspiration. Its shops have become a model for sustenance and positive community relations through their vital examples of "staying local" with all provisional and recreational purchases. Through vigorous work and immutable hope, Magazine Street is helping to soothe New Orleans. Magazine Street, the mesmerizing perfume, is a striking tribute to the spirit of the eponymous neighborhood. On a poetic level, it's the scent of air on a hot, sweet Southern evening, right after a vigorous rainstorm. You smell the flowers, dampness, greens, mustiness, and even the ghosts, filled with pain and joy. I get a hint of the French Quarter the - beignets at Cafe Du Monde, from a deep vanilla note. On a literal level, Magazine Street perfume is a magnolia-vanilla version of Frederic Malle Carnal Flower. It begins with a camphor quality that I find irresistible, and its layers reveal magnolia, vanilla, vetiver, and musk, as lush, and assertive redolence. I think this fragrance is what mainstream marketing would call "unisex", because it smells more like a traditional "men's" cologne rather than a "feminine" perfume. This is an evening scent for me, mostly because I prefer dark vanillas when its dark outside, but it can be worn comfortably day and night. It's sensuous, beautiful, and singular, and all true fragrance lovers will probably at least appreciate it, if they don't fall head over heels in love with it, which is more likely.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Tropical Vial by Strange Invisible Perfumes

I've been hearing about, and reading about Strange Invisible Perfumes for years. If I had heard more positive things, I'd have rushed immediately to the boutique and tried every scent. However, the majority of opinion on these fragrances has been so negative, I've actually been afraid to try them. I love the website, and the fragrance descriptions are fascinating. Yes, they're a bit melodramatic, but they're lyrical, and rich with atmosphere; which is what I want from perfumes. I've been disappointed with hundred of fragrances that sound preternaturally astounding, but wind up being air fresheners to cover cat litter box odor. Recently I've gotten so extremely sick of sniffing new fragrances that cause absolutely no emotional response, and so tired of smelling Dream Angels Heavenly EVERYWHERE, that I wanted to try new scents even if their aromas were so awful they knocked me unconscious. I'm excited and thrilled to report that Strange Invisible Perfumes appear to be the kind of fragrances I've been yearning to explore, and not in the "knocked unconscious" way! Those of us who are "scent addicts" understand that our link to everything we remember in life comes with a scent association. Our remembered scents evoke an atmosphere, rather than a rendering of perfectly pleasant smells. Alexandra Balahoutis, the perfumer of SIP, clearly feels this way as well. These perfumes aren't manufactured for people who want to smell as fresh and clean and balanced as their antiperspirant. These are perfumes for those of us who FEEL, live, and remember our lives through fragrance. As for Tropical Vial...Tropical Vial creates a vivid, unique atmosphere that makes me think of a cave I explored on the Big Island of Hawaii. The individual notes don't really matter...this fragrance smells like that place on that island. If I sniff hard and try to pick out notes, I get something that, for a second or two, makes me think of Un Jardin Sur le Nil. The scent then reminds me of jasmine and green teas flavored with fresh citrus rind. It's uplifting, and mesmerizing. Unfortunately this fragrance is very weak on my skin. There really isn't any sillage, which would be all right if it lasted longer. But after about two hours, I can't even smell this when vigorously sniffing my wrists. I'm going to see if this works better depending upon my body temperature, because I have a feeling it's going to bloom in extreme heat. I definitely recommend trying Tropical Vial if you like the mystery of the tropics!

Anné Pliska by Anné Pliska

Anne Pliska looks a bit jarring at first sight; the vivid purple liquid caused me to expect strong roses, but this was not the case. In fact, this smooth, sweet, orangey-creamy scent is tempered with a mix of dusty hebs (of the oregano type) or some other "salty" note and reminds me of a more feminine Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan--yet it predates that fragrance by six years! Surprise, surprise. Anne Pliska did the sweet, dusty, salty amber first. It even has a little of that addictive Play-Doh note. No wonder this little niche beauty has maintained its cult following for decades. It is an excellent amber fragrance.

Osmanthus by Different Company

The mere mention of castoreum and hay in a fragrance usually portends a wild ride. Imagine my surprise after applying Osmanthus and experiencing a light, fizzy peach accord that remained true throughout its development. Very pleasant; nothing uncivilized about it. Delicious and refreshing peach fragrance, neither strongly fruity nor strongly rosey. A nice skin fragrance.

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

How could I not love this fragrance? First of all, I'm a patchouli lover. (I probably will lose all credibility on my reviews for succumbing to the charms of this note every time I encounter it.)Secondly, it has just enough sweetness to take the edge off of that dark, earthy note and soften it. It's still strongly woody with a hint of peach, but more interesting and likeable than plain patchouli. Maybe I need to make a ranking system: Baseline hard, woody - Etro Patchouli. Midrange - L'Artisan Patchouli Patch. Sweet but earthy - Montale Patchouli Leaves. Sweet and fruity - Jalaine Patchouli. Sweet and a miracle of mellow creaminess - Chanel Coromandel. Jump right in and choose one; I love them all.

madridbatabidd's avatar
    madridbatabidd
    Spain Spain

7:15 am in Bali by Kenzo

It’s a soft flower oriental, something like a dreamy material made of weaved milk, wood, and fruits.

"7:15 AM in Bali" claims a prolongs previous olfactory themes as “Amour”, “Summer”, etc…
    Its a soft perfume suitable (aparently), for both man and female although it tends to the feminine side.
    Countains a simple but appealing blend of passiofruit, jasmine, orchid, cedar and vanilla.
    it start rather nostalgic with hints of the original "Kenzo Femme", soft, creamy, fruity and floral. The passionfruit in this juice is very addictive and reminded me instantly "Angel" getting ridd off the chocolate accords.
    The perfume goes rather linear in the drydown when soft powdery textures comes along as a creamy wood touch, (cedar , orchid and vanilla).The scent is a shy halo, quite close to skin with no projection.

Could it be "7:15 AM in Bali" a big rival substitute of Tom Ford's "Black Orchid"?? ( a perfume designed for women but very desirable and used for men like me).
    I have my doubts.

Warm Vanilla Sugar by Bath and Body Works

Great if you're craving a VERY sweet scent. Sometimes I'm in the mood for this around the house, but I'd feel too self-conscious to wear it in public. Smells exactly like the name...vanilla with heaps of sugar...lots and lots of sugar! :-)

Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

I liked this very much when I first tried it, and purchased a bottle of the EDT. But...after wearing it for a couple of weeks, I found it too "plastic-y" smelling and gave it away. The lotion is very nice, however, and doesn't seem to have the same funk of the EDT. Haven't yet smelled the EDP - maybe it's an improvement.

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

This is a very nice amber fragrance: comforting, soft, and sexy. A more "user friendly" version of Obsession. I'm not a fan of most B&BW fragrances, but this was a pleasant surprise. Excellent price, too, so I purchased the entire line of body products along with the EDT. The lotion is very rich, and the shower gel is highly scented. Receive many compliments when I wear this; very pleased.

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

The more I wear it, the more I like it. It has a slightly shrill floral note that I don't appreciate, but once that burns off, it morphs into a gorgeous leathery/honey musk skin scent. It's sophisticated and grown-up sexy, neither too foody nor too sweet, and the bottle is classic and beautiful. Will probably not appeal to the younger crowd, but this totally works for me right now (42 year old professional). Perfect for the office. Will be a major contender in the fall/winter lineup.

alleysmom's avatar
    alleysmom

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

The most perfect scent ever. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

zoop's avatar
    zoop
    Finland Finland

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The beginning reminds me of freshly grated carrots, which is not really unpleasant, just weird.

Then the carrots fade, leaving a sickening smell of sewing machine oil. Or the oil used to oil bicycles.

I'm staying away from this.

zoop's avatar
    zoop
    Finland Finland

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

The first notes are fresh, fruity, sweet, quite enjoyable - in the same fashion as you would enjoy a lollipop.

But after these candy-sweetness accords subside, there is not much left.

In case I apply it heavily (and I consider 4 spritzes a hefty amount), the middle notes actually remind me of Andy Tauer's masterpiece, L'Air du Desert Marocain.

Not a totally forgettable scent, but... almost.

FloatingPoint's avatar
    FloatingPoint

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Gingery, soapy, and loud. I've smelled worse, but this should have been toned down, and sexed up. My mother likes it, though, so I don't have the heart to give it a thumbs down even though I want to. Good longevity.

FloatingPoint's avatar
    FloatingPoint

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Some of the reviews on this page seem to be for the Concentrée version. This review is for the older, non-Concentrée version, which as of this writing is almost impossible to find in the United States. Despite sharing the same name, the two fragrances are very different.

Chanel Pour Monsieur is a classic masculine chypre. It starts off with citrus and the trademark Chanel aldehydes and soon dries down to the classic chypre base of oak moss and woods. No surprises, no hard edges, no weirdness, just excellent ingredients and a perfectly blended composition. This is a deceptively light fragrance that seems to disappear long before it's actually gone, but just breathe on your wrist to warm it up a bit and you'll notice that it's actually still there. It's the kind of fragrance that the wearer's nose habituates to quite quickly, which is disappointing in some respects because it smells so good, but at least has the advantage of not interfering with dining.

I wouldn't rank this among my favorite masculines of all time, but I own a bottle and I fully recognize its excellence. I just wish it were a little stronger, though without being as sickly sweet as the current Concentrée version is. I don't think that's asking for too much, but given how preoccupied Chanel seems to be with Titanium Megalomaniac or whatever blockbuster it is they're peddling to the aspirational punters at the moment, I realize it's not likely to happen.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Strikes me as rather loud, harsh and synthetic. Nothing I would want to wear or smell.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Mambo for Men by Liz Claiborne

Mambo for Men is a confused concoction, with watery, sweet and woody notes bumping into each other. I think the worst part of it is that I get an unpleasant burnt smell that begins soon after the opening lasts for a good while. The basenotes are pleasant woods and musk; not especially remarkable, but pleasant... still not worth waiting for.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I wore this in my teens and early 20's, I have since moved on but I can honestly say no cologne then, now, or likely in the future will draw the amount of compliments I received with Cool Water. Ladies just love it, at least they did 10-15 years ago. The only caveat is do not over-apply, it will knock you out and everyone in a 20 foot radius.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I used to say this smelled a lot like Cool Water, I still say that because many still confuse this for Cool Water when I wear it. However I can detect the smoothness, and richness that is lacking in Cool Water that is found here in Green Irish Tweed. Great silage and longevity and a beautiful scent overall.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Nice scent but I prefer the Intense version. Still a winner though.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

It is a nice scent just a little too feminine for my tastes. It is uni-sex but leans to the ladies side of that scale I think. Some men can pull this off but I like broody male scents I guess.

Himalaya by Creed

I love this scent when it is right. Crisp, clean, and smooth all the way around with great silage and longevity. This is not a warm weather cologne, I have noticed in warm weather it is rather pungent as apposed to the crisp, clean, and smooth analogy. Save this for cooler days.

Also this is one temperamental little scent, on top of the weather affliction it posses it also is prone to be "off" from batch to batch. I have bought 3 bottles of this stuff, one was bad, the other 2 have been great. The bad bottle being of 05 vintage, the other 2 being 07 vintage.

Other than that it is one wonderful and unique scent from the house of Creed.

Original Vetiver by Creed

Smells pretty soapy rather than grassy, also the longevity is very poor.