Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I personally did not like it but everyone else who smelled it on me loved it. I found it to be a little too sickly sweet but it did have great silage and longevity. A great clubbing scent because it is very powerful and ladies just seem to love it.

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Nice scent, does smell reminiscent of Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena but with the Creed edge and depth. I would wear this for summer but for a summer fun niche scent it should not cost as much or more than the mainstay Creeds that are all year rounders.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Lavender overwhelms! Not my cup of tea at all, but it does have a cool bottle.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

Wow! Great cologne here! I am unsure how to describe it, whether it would fall under aquatic or not, but it is beautiful in every regard. Great longevity and silage. Compared to the original it is a little more metallic.

nthny's avatar

Black Aoud by Montale

Black Aoud is a stunningly opulent perfume which balances a certain amount of harsh vulgarity with a profound sensuality. From the coarse, sharp, gnarly opening, it grips the wearer with thorny tendrils of woody, resinous, earthiness which envelop a pulsing heart of deep red rose, a rose boiling in rich brew of contrastingly arresting notes, velvety, rich rose which becomes somewhat sour and balsamic when combined with aoud, patchouli. I imagine these tendrils reaching out to those around me as I walk past, casting a mysterious wake. I can't simply apply this fragrance and go. I very literally must stand for a moment and ponder it. It stays with me all day, and I am nearly constantly aware of it for the first few hours. That said, it never interferes, never becomes annoying or too much. The next morning I am greeted by an incredibly soft, gentle, earthy patchouli note that is one of my favorite parts of the whole experience. A-ma-zing, if that's the kind of fragrance you are looking for.

distortech's avatar

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Brilliant. That is all I can say, absolutely brilliant. After all the stages of pure bliss this fragrance goes through, it all comes down the fantastic ending. An ending that reminds me of a deserted beach I once found myself on just me some wildlife, sea breezes, sea life, and slight aroma of vegetation whisping in the air - the first fragrance I have ever have ever came across the has the scent of that beach - Glover's Atoll, Belize, I will never forget that scent - EVER - it sticks in my mind so clearly to this very day and, without a doubt, this fragrance is it. Fantastic.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Walk up to the back of a Trans Am. Place your nose near a rear tire, not too close though because you don't want to get hurt. Now request that the driver do a nice break stand. Ummmm ummmmm. How would you like to smell that nonsense all day? There's a reason that this smell hasn't been used, to my knowledge, in any other perfumes. It stinks. It's a shame too because the tea notes are really freaking good. Oh well, I'll find a teaish scent elsewear.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Ugh, I have a problem. I don't know what possessed me but I bought this blind. Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE READING THIS. DO NOT BLIND BUY!! Praline is nauseating to me. I can smell it in the initial blast along with the fruit salad (which by itself I might like) right up until I go to bed. Maybe I'm allergic to it, I don't know, but it stinks, and I don't like it.

Unforgivable by Sean John

The tag line of this frag is 'Life without passion is unforgivable.' It is a quote from that super-genius Sean John aka. P. Diddy.

So let's see. 'Life without passion' is unforgivable. This scent is called unforgivable. So basically, this scent is life without passion.

Hence, P. Diddy created a bland and boring juice, put it in an ugly and chunky bottle made of plastic on the outside, and call this the sexiest scent ever. This must be the most stupid name for a scent, and I cannot believe that there is not one smart guy among his assistants to tell him that this is the worst name possible for a scent.

But make no mistake: Wearing this scent is actually indeed unforgivable. It is so generic, bland, cheap, and mundane, it makes my skin crawl. I cannot see any sophisticated man putting this on, and feeling good about himself. And to think that Diddy stole this scent from a Creed creation... It is just sad. Not the fact that he makes scents: let's face it, Jessica Simpson and Patrick Dempsey also have fragrances out, but what is heartbreaking is the very fact that it is some sort of a bestseller. I wish people's noses would evolve a bit more, and they would stop imagining they can be like this neanderthal just because they wear his cheap smelling, cheap retailing fragrance.

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

I usually love with what Bulgari does with their fragrances. I don't even remember one scent I tested from Bulgari that I completely detested. But I must say, I think Blv Notte Pour Homme is one of the company's most daring creations for men to date.

It has a powdery feeling to it, first of all. But it is rich and creamy, not headache-including. It is a happy scent in its opening, very sexy in a healthy, sparkling way. It lingers on the skin quite a while before it gets warm and powdery, and then you experience the chocolate note. I don't get the baby-wipes, even though it is rather clean, I tend to get a less-synthetic, more natural sweetness from it. I call it 'daring', because even though it is masculine, I think on the right woman, it can also be a magic. And that's what is great about the scent: it is most certainly created for the creatures of the night, rather than the people on the go. And that's why I find the notes to be also seducing and almost tiring after a while, but on the good side. Plus, chocolate mixed with a healthy dose of tobacco always brings out something slightly lazy, but also tender and sublime.

I wish it could last a little longer on my skin, but that is my problem with all Bulgari creations. The first day I wore it, 5 compliments from women, 4 of them on the street in Manhattan, people I do not know by the way. A friend of mine, a guy, told me that it was too sweet (because of the ginger/chocolate blend which stays on the skin as base notes) in a rather envious way I assume, but he was wearing Cartier Declaration, so his taste is obviously questionable. A must try before buying, and I must say this can never be a scent that I would wear exclusively for a couple of days (I am quite promiscuous about my frags), but it makes me always happy whenever I reach for it.

EDIT:

The problem is perhaps me, who happens to be to be way too spoiled with choice and promiscuity in terms of beautiful fragrances and colognes, but now I am kind of bored with Blv Notte. Now it smells plastic-y and banal, and I do not get that clean euphoric feeling anymore - the one that I initially experienced while applying this scent. I will use it until I finish it, and then perhaps will never pick it up again.

I feel sorry for the change of heart, but it is not a very timeless creation after all, at least not to me. It just turned cheap.

09 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Terrible.

It smells just like chap coconut/sugar room sprays. It has a very inhumane, unnatural, and demode feeling to it. I tested it, I detested it, and later I had to spend a whole night with a guy who was wearing it. It is simply terrible to my nose, because it doesn't even smell like sunscreen or deserts in which coconut note are most apparent. No, this smells very generic.

I really don't like it, because it is just not a sophisticated scent. It is not deep, or well-thought out. It is just so lazy. I believe Creed is a company that puts out mostly mundane scents, but because of their price points and so-called exclusivity, they believe they can get away with a devastating lack of originality and finesse.

Yes, 'the expensive juices in the flask' still look cool, but they no longer carry sophistication they once did.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

The scent of a biker bar's parking lot. Motorcylce exhaust, asphalt, chrome and the leather upholstery. Sweet and smokey and reminds me of a subdued Egoiste. Very unique and takes some getting used to.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Lemon with a powdery, mossy drydown. Doesn't last for very long but it smells good for those few hours.

Chaumet Homme by Chaumet

A clean fig and vetiver scent that dries down into a typical oakmoss and musk. A nice refined soapy scent that's not as powerful as Guerlain's Vetiver. There's a slight sweetness to it in the base that makes the top come alive.

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

Wonderful mix of the usual citrus in "Eau de whatevers" and herbal/green notes. With a bit of woody freshness and a touch of myrrh, this makes for an interesting one.

Green Water by Jacques Fath

Smells more like toothpaste. Also smells a heck of a lot like my geraniums I have. Cool and refreshing and just perfect for a quick pick-me-up in the middle of the day before heading out since it dries down fast and you'll have no trouble applying a heavy-hitter frag for the evening.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Smells like the maki used to wrap sushi rolls and dipped in pineapple juice. This is what started all the sporty junk that everyone else seems to copy. Though a classic (?) it didn't age well. Awful to my nose.

Santos by Cartier

Strong herbals and a genuine scent of lavender without the use of vanilla, that gets high points in my book. Slightly peppery which is reinforced by cedarwood. Strong masculine scent. Best of the Cartier mens fragrances.

Unforgivable by Sean John

Overpriced citrus water that smells like a scented "sporty" deodorant/antiperspirant from Gillette or Old Spice.

Hierbas de Ibiza by Hierbas de Ibiza

Yet another amazing lemon scent. I love the smell of lemons and this one is a good mix of tartness, zest and sweetness found in the combination of my other favorite lemon scents: Homme de Gres, Lacoste (original) and AoS Lemon. The herbs and a floral note in this makes it much more interesting than most. Very nice!

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I really loved the first notes, because the urine smell was masked by the citrus. But as the perfume progressed and the middle and basenotes arrived, it was basically urine that I was smelling. It is very difficult to judge this perfume because it is very pleasant in the beginning. But I feel I don't have the guts to wear it in public, because people will think I wet my pants.

Clear by Neil Morris Fragrances

This smells like summer in a bottle. The linden is the prominent note in it. I am not aware of mint as a distinct one at all, thank heavens. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem overly woody either.

Café by Neil Morris Fragrances

A sweet coffee gourmand; I can smell hazelnut pastry notes in it. I know that's not in the notes, but that's what I smell. I like this quite a bit; much more than most coffee fragrances.

Dark Season by Neil Morris Fragrances

A very sexy fragrance redolent with the forest; cinnamon is distinctly noticeable. I love the base of this fragrance so much! Very dark, deep and long-lasting.

memechose's avatar

Lakshmi by Ajne

This was reviewed in my new and niche column , so diclosure, i was part of teh process of its creation. Its sexy, and the rose heart is 2 die 4 s is the base notes...

sarifuchs's avatar

Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia

Versace pour Homme by Versace

sad to say but this one is ALLURE SPORTS by CHANEL the smell is not bad but its a copy

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

Soft florals, amber and woods = a scent like buttery suede. This scent is a one-liner, but It was pretty enough to make me keep wanting to smell the back of my hand.

tanto's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

Caltha describes this scent beautifully. Yes, "classy", very, very, "classy"!! It never goes out of style even though it is almost forty years old. This is one scent I never tire of. People always compliment me whenever I where Equipage. Basically, it is perfect for any time of day. Never "loud" or annoying. Subtle and rich.

bbBD's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

EDITED REVIEW: Even though my tastes have changed considerably over the last couple years, there are few fragrances about which I have done such a complete 180 as I have with Dior Addict. I was initially enamoured with the thick bourbon vanilla, orange blossom, and floral underpinnings. Perhaps some of my excitement was due to the fact Addict was one of the first feminines I decided on my own was perfectly ok for me to wear. I felt like an explorer, not realizing many guys had long before realized Addict is essentially unisex.

Fast forward a few months and countless samplings of other floral vanillas. I now find Addict to be grossly out of balance, to the point where I find it wearing it makes me uneasy to my stomach. There is an overtly synthetic feel to Addict that adds to the unpleasantness. The florals are too heavy and bitter, taking too much sweetness off the vanilla - a vanilla which is far too thick. The whole composition just sits on the skin, doing nothing for hours and hours. For an excellent floral vanilla try Farmacia SS Anunziata 'Chia' or even good ol' L'Artisan Vanilia.

I love Dior dearly, but Addict just doesn't cut the lines well. Should be booted.

09 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2009)

MissBehaviour's avatar

Germany Germany

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This was one of my first fragrances as a little girl and a staple throughout my teenage years. I recently revisited it (at age 30) and have fallen in love with it again. This smells incredibly pretty--a perfect blend of floral and powdery/soapy notes that is neither too sweet nor too green, with fantastic lasting power and a moderate price tag. Its eighties/girly image shouldn't prevent anyone from giving this one a try--it is better in many respects than a lot of pricier fragrances that have been launched in recent years. Will always have a bottle in my collection.